21 Night

Werewolves and Vampires

Vampires are indeed immortal unless destroyed. Skin as close to bulletproof, they are able to stand against an entire army of humans equipped with guns and machineries without having to deal with any physical damage in the end. Thus, making them indestructible against whatever the human world holds against them. They are invulnerable unless burnt by fire, or dismembered by something with equal strength as they are. Unlike werewolves, they do not bleed, nor do they feel any form of physical pain. They are able to drop from heights and land right on their feet with ease, making them nearly equivalent to Gods. Their wounds are able to heal in usually a matter of seconds and their energy regenerates despite their restlessness. 

 

Vampires do not sleep, they spend all days and nights awake. Sunlight do not effect them, allowing them to walk freely in it without any physical damage to be afflicted. 

 

When a vampire is born or created, their hearts take one last beat and stop forever. Their lungs do not breathe. Neither do they feel temperature, hot or cold. Their skin is as white as snow and their eyes show their diet: Bright orange for those who feed on the blood or flesh of animals and crimson red for those who live on human blood.

 

***

 

Chanyeol had successfully managed to light up a fire in front of the wreck site where their den used to be. The heat wrapped everyone around it in warmth while it's light provided in the now-darkened sky and you found yourself sitting in the middle of the group, laughing around at the jokes they made and enjoying their company. No one seemed to be that bothered that their hideout was destroyed, for some odd reason. The boys had dug out everything they could salvage from the wreck and gathered them into a small pile near the fire. D.O and Suho had prepared roasted deer meat and the rest of the pack finished them all before you could even take a single bite. 

 

Luhan wasn't back yet. You were worried, but the others relaxed,  dismissing your questions with a "he might be out for a walk in the forest".

 

Its funny how merely a couple hours before you had had the unpleasant discovery along with Suho and Lay. You decided to keep it a secret between the three of you, for the safety of the pack. Lay had managed to heal the wound on your hand and leave it without a single scar or scratch. But of course, he wasn't able to remove the single thought that kept troubling your mind. 

 

Am I still a vampire? 

 

The question rolled in and out of your head constantly. You couldn't understand how such a thing could happen. For the first time in your life, you almost felt human. Mortal. But you weren't ready to accept it just yet. 

 

"Maybe it only lasts for awhile," Lay had said earlier. "Just give it a few days for whatever-it-is to wear out."

 

You just hoped he was right. 

 

You stared into the bright orange flames of the fire. It wasn't very cold, but you shivered. The rest of the group were wrestling each other behind you, but you sat alone in front of the fire. You refused to talk to anyone, even Baekhyun, who sat opposite you; since he refused to play along with the others with the excuse that his stomach hurt from eating too much. After a long while of awkward silence, Baekhyun finally jumped up from his place and scooted over beside you, using his tricks to get you to talk. 

 

"Hey," he began. You merely smiled and continued to stare at the fire as if pretending he wasn't there. But he didn't give up. Everyone knew Baekhyun.

 

"Are you okay?" He tried again. 

"Yeah, I'm just a little... Tired," a lie. Such a big lie. It was good that Baekhyun couldn't read your mind. 

"You sure? You don't seem pretty well," He asked and you simply nodded. Unsatisfied, Baekhyun waved his hand in front of your face and you immediately came back to your senses. You sat back and turned to Baekhyun with an annoyed expression on your face. He laughed and held out meat on a stick that came out of nowhere. You stared at it, then back at him.

 

"Want some?" He offered with innocent eyes and you shook your head, chuckling at his cuteness. 

 

"No thanks. I'm good," you said that even though your stomach growled. You weren't ready to accept the fact that you could be changing. 

 

Hungry. When was the last time I felt hungry? , what is happening to me.

 

"Okay then," Baekhyun finished up the meat within seconds and threw the stick away before returning to catch your attention again. 

 

"I thought you had a stomach ache?" You asked, leaning on your hand. Barley's face curved a michevious smile and he laughed that michevious laugh of his. 

 

"Needed an excuse to get away from truth or dare. They keep daring me to kiss Chanyeol. Those dumbos,” he jerked a thumb at the direction of where the other EXO members were; laughing so hard and loud as if the world would come to end.

 

"And besides,” Baekhyun said. "Can't you just do one of those mind tricks of yours to get answers out of my head?” 

 

You shook your head slightly, then stopped, as if you finally realised the meaning of his question. "Well,” you began. Baekhyun scooted unbelievably closer this time that you had to move further a bit from your original spot. " I try not to.”

 

"Wouldn't it be such a waste?”

"Not really. I respect the privacy of others. Unless,” you scanned the boy's eyes. He lifted his eyebrows in confusion and waved his hands in front of your face again. 

 

"Creeping me out,” his thoughts whispered in your head, and it seemed to echo throughout your skull. 

 

"Yeah I know, won't creep you out again. I promise," you tried to put in as much sarcasm as you could. Baekhyun's eyes widened, not in a shocked kind of expression, more like the look of awe. 

 

"You just,” he stuttered. Then paused and looked at you with a straight face. "Read my mind didn't cha?" 

 

You laughed and clapped him on the back. "Wasn't that what you wanted me to do?"

 

"N-no. I-I mean yes!” Baekhyun said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. He turned to you and smiled. 

 

"So how does it work?”

"What does?”

"Oh you know. Your ability,” he said. You made an ‘O’ shape with your mouth and cocked your jaw to the side. 

 

"Sometimes the thoughts come without me asking for it. And some thoughts just need me to dig them out. Basically, its pretty fun to play with. Makes you feel like you've got every secret there is in the world,” you ended your introduction with a snap of your fingers. 

 

"Cool,” Baekhyun replied. 

 

The both of you sat down there for awhile, chatting about your abilities. Baekhyun continuing to praise yours, you beginning to admire his talents. He told you that he could make tiny light particles, just like the ones you saw when you entered EXO's home for the first time. He even demonstrated, and they looked like tiny fireflies floating in the air, shining in the darkness of the late night.

 

Through your conversation, you kept noticing Baekhyun rub his stomach and you couldn't help but wonder. "Why don't you ask Lay to heal that stomach of yours?" 

 

"Its alright. Don't wanna bother him. Sometimes I just want my wounds to heal naturally, with time. The pain makes me feel human," he replied, biting the insides of his cheeks. Why does he never stop moving? 

 

Makes you feel human, you thought. Luhan said that once. You turned to Baekhyun. 

 

"How old are you?" You were more than curious. Baekhyun scrunched his eyebrows. 

 

"I don't know," he said. "230? 234? I've lost count, really," he sighed heavily. 

 

You observed him closely. "How did you meet EXO?" You asked in curiosity. 

 

Baekhyun chuckled and clapped his hands slowly. "Oh its a long story. Chanyeol and I used to live close by to each other in the village. Basically, the entire village was a werewolf village, so we all lived in peace with each other. No war. No fighting," he paused. You noticed tears accumulating in his eyes and immediately regret asking him the question. You wanted to take it back but he continued on, his voice steady as always. "Then one day I remembered screaming..."

 

You could see his expression changing. His smile wiped off his face. His bright eyes turning dark with sorrow. His story somehow reminded you about those villages in the dreams that you've been having. Could this be it? 

 

"Next thing I knew, everyone in the village was scattered. Then we saw these weird people covered in black storming into our village with knives and torches. They burned everything. Killed a lot of people. In the end, it was only Chanyeol and I. I found him by the river, burned on the arm. Suho found us a little while later."

 

You hadn't known how sad he was on the inside this whole time until now. And you were sure you had never seen anyone look so sad. The Baekhyun you knew wasn't the Baekhyun you thought he was.

He wiped the tear that was beginning to fall from the tip of his eye and sat up straight, trying to smile. You patted him on his thigh and looked at him in the eyes. 

 

"The past is the past, we can't worry about what's already happened. We can't change anything," you said softly, and he nodded, still lowering his head. 

 

"It's just...every time I think about it, it just brings me to the guilt that I could've did something. I shouldn't have left my parents even when they told me to run. I shouldn't have left them behind." He paused, gathering himself together. "But then again, the past is the past right?" 

 

You nodded and smiled. You reached out and playfully slapped him in the back of his head. "Now, cheer up! Where's that smile of yours?" You teased, causing him to laugh. You hoped his feelings have changed. Going through all those trouble when he was a kid was tough, sad actually. And you wanted to do anything you could to help him overcome his bad memories. Lift him up and make him forget. 

 

Just as Baekhyun had finally gotten himself back to normal condition, a head popped up in between you. Figures. 

 

"Hey, what's up?" Chanyeol interrupted, glancing at the two of you suspiciously. 

 

"Nothing, we were just having a little talk," Baekhyun said and turned to you, waiting for your response. 

 

"Yeah," you nodded, still deep in thoughts. "Nothing at all."

 

***

 

You sat alone, not so far from the pack's den, on the edge of the cliff above a frozen waterfall. Your eyesight was perfectly normal, as you were still able to see in the dark, as normal as a normal vampire's, which relieved you. 

 

You needed some time alone to think. You picked up a rock beside you and threw it high in the air, it fell to the bottom of the waterfall and onto the frozen waters with a soft "tack"

 

The images. The voices. What did it all mean? You thought and sighed. The changing. Why? None of these made sense. Was it some kind of spell? Were you cursed? And even if you were, by who? Questions rolled in and out of your head and you felt like you were going to turn insane any moment then. 

 

"I tried Haneul, I tried." There it was again. That voice that was in your head, telling you things you had no idea what meant. "Forget the old. Remember the new."

 

Seriously. You thought in annoyance. Whoever you are, wait, whatever you are, just go away. You sighed. Please. Just go away. 

 

But it wasn't like it would obey you anyway. It seemed like it had a mind of its own. You were certain it wasn't thoughts of anyone. How would those dreams explain? And you were certain there was something not right about the way you were feeling lately. You rocked your legs back and forth as it hung from the edge of the cliff. You loved this feeling. The air rustling in your hair, brushing against your skin, your face. The soft "creeks" of insects and hoot of owls from afar. You heard the sound of footsteps from behind you. Then, the voice you longed to hear. 

 

"Hey," Luhan said. You got up on your feet and turned around to face him with a relieved smile on your face. Somehow, seeing his face again made you forget all those troubles like it was just a stupid nightmare. 

 

You felt terrible. "Luhan-" 

 

"I'm sorry," he cut you off. "I shouldn't have said all those things to you. I was just so stressed out," he came closer and held your hands in his. 

 

"I'm sorry too," you said and lowered your head. "I shouldn't have overreacted back then," you slowly looked up and gently laid your hand on his cheek. He winced at your touch but relaxed when your hand came in full contact with his cheek. The red mark had almost completely vanished, but you knew without doubt the pain hadn't. The force you used could leave him in pain for at least a day or two.  

 

If only Lay was here, you thought again. You were starting to think that maybe having a healer in the pack had its perks. 

 

"You okay?" You said softly, looking into the boy's weak, tired eyes. He looked like he had been crying his eyes out; his eyes were red and puffy. You immediately regretted.

 

"Yeah, I'm fine," Luhan said and smiled. It was so long since you last saw him smile. And you would trade everything the world to see it again. 

 

The next few hours was just what you needed to sooth your troubled mind. You and Luhan rested at the edge of the cliff overlooking a frozen waterfall and a river, having funny conversations and listening to each other's jokes. Every moment you spent there reminded you of just the time when you and Luhan's wolf just met. How he was just an poor wolf without a home and pack, or so you HAD thought. But despite that, you still knew that deep down, he was still that same innocent, adorable white wolf. 

 

"Hey, Haneul?"

"Yeah?"

 

"I have a feeling," Luhan said and sat up, crossing his legs together in a comfortable position. 

 

"What kind of feeling?" You flipped your body around and rested your head on your hand. 

 

"I don't know. I just," you could already find him hesitating and stuttering at his words, a soft pink blush spreading across his pale face. 

 

"You're a great friend, Luhan," you said and chuckled softly. You patted him playfully on the lap and sat yourself up beside him. 

 

Luhan smiled and sighed, as if it wasn't even close to what he had wanted to say. 

 

"Haneul, there's something I want to ask. I need you tell the truth," Luhan seemed concerned about something. You glanced at him suspiciously, then nodded. 

 

"Alright, shoot."

"Why did you leave your pack?" 

"Huh?" 

 

This was definitely something you didn't see coming. You froze in place, unable to find the right words to answer. "I...uh...m-maybe..." You kept stuttering so you forced yourself to stop and buried your face in the palm of your hands. 

 

Luhan noticed your uneasiness and decided to put off the topic when you finally spoke up. 

 

"You... triggered something in me. You made me realise there's just more to my life than being controlled all the time. I just want to be free again, out of Taeyeon and SNSD's power. Lone," you made sure you said the last word as clear as crystal be. 

 

Luhan scrunched his eyebrows and rubbed his chin. "Does she always control you?" He threw himself back down on the grass and rested his hands at the back of his head, closing his eyes.  

 

"Ever since the day we met but I've never really bothered about it. I always thought everything she instructed us to do was for the good of the pack, and then," you paused, unsure of whether you should say it or not. "And then you came along."

 

Luhan's eyes shot open. He glanced over to you.  

 

"I just want to be free again. Like I was before, lone and independent," you continued. "Which is why I decided to go home."

 

Luhan's eyes widened in confusion. "Go-go home?" He quickly sat back up. The way his eyes stared right into yours made you confused too. 

 

"I just want to be normal again."

"But I-" Luhan swung his own hand over his mouth. "Uh...Don't you want to stay? Here, w-with us. You're safer here. If you go back, SNSD might come back and-"

 

"They won't. I'll take care of myself, I promise," you said, not allowing Luhan a chance to continue his sentence. 

 

He lowered his head and you lifted him up by the chin. You made eye contact with him and said reassuringly. "I'll be fine."

 

Luhan gave a sigh of defeat and forced a weak smile before transforming into his wolf form. You stumbled back in alarm and he took off into the woods without another word. You stood there in the darkness, thinking that he'd left you and sighed sadly before going back to your spot at the edge of the cliff, staring into the darkness of the night. You were just about to enter vampire dreamland when you heard the rustling of the leaves behind you. You spun around quickly, thinking that it could be an SNSD member or some other unfriendly vampire, coming to attack or kidnap you, only to find that the same wolf had returned, this time carrying something in his mouth. 

 

It was a tiny piece wood carved into the shape of what seemed to be a girl and a wolf with its paw up in the girl's hands. Attached by black string. A necklace. Luhan once again transformed and began rubbing his hands together. You could see that his clothes were filled with dirt stains, as if he had been digging through dirt. He smiled and walked up behind you, placing the necklace gently around your neck. 

 

"You made this?" You asked in amazement as you examined the carving. The girl had long hair identical to yours and had something that looked like diamonds as eyes. The bright, glittering materials seemed so real. 

Luhan nodded. "I found those diamonds in a river, didn't know how it got there but it looked really pretty." 

 

"Thank you," you threw your arms around Luhan and you both embraced into a hug. 

 

"I'm gonna miss you," Luhan said softly in your ear and you blinked. Tears threatened to fall but you tried as hard as you could to not burst out crying. 

 

After what it felt like hours, you finally let go and took a step back away from him. 

 

"You walked away once, then you came back again," Luhan said softly and you smiled weakly, trying to hold in your own tears. 

 

"Maybe I'll come back again. Things change. We'll meet each other someday."

 

Luhan nodded, but it was a sad nod. With a heavy heart, you turned and walked into the forest, away from EXO and SNSD's power. 

Away from Luhan and his wolf.