Chapter 3

LifeMate

 

* Warning there will be some language up ahead *

 

“Krystal?”  Amber felt as if she got slapped. She did not expect THE hot girl she was checking out not so long ago would be her target, and what made it worse was that the younger girl attracted her.

 

“That’s how I know you! I knew I had seen your face somewhere, I just can't believe I didn’t recognize one of our top actresses. Talk about being oblivious!” Key interrupted the small scene as he put their drinks down. 

 

Krystal looked up at Key.

 

“ My name is Kim Ki Bum by the way, but you can call me Key. I’m a big fan and can I say that you were amazing in your recent drama, I mean-” Key was being a fan-girl once he found out one of his favorite actress was sitting right in front of him at his job. Talk about being one lucky guy.

 

“ I think she already knows how much of a big fan you are Key. No words are needed.” Amber covered Key’s mouth. She didn't want him scaring the girls away.

 

“ Thank you. I appreciate that you took your time to support me, knowing how busy you are. I hope you'll keep supporting me in my next drama ” Krystal smiled at Key.

 

“ Only for one of my favorite actress.”  Key removed Amber’s hand from his mouth.

 

“Well, if you will excuse me, I have to get back to work.” True to his word, Key went to get orders from the other clients.

 

“ You know you could at least say thank you.” Amber couldn’t get over the fact that she didn’t even get anything from the girl; not even a thank you for shutting Key’s big mouth.

 

“ Sorry, but I don’t like to speak to erted guys who can’t keep their wandering eyes to themselves.” Krystal ignored Amber and took a sip from her drink.

 

“ Excuse me? I am not a ert and I’m not even a guy!” Amber was insulted, and for the first time that night, Krystal turned to see Amber and checked her from head to toe.

 

“ I don’t believe you, so stop trying to hide the fact that I caught you red handed.” That’s right, even though Krystal may have been dancing with her friend, it didn’t mean that she could not feel someone’s eyes on her body.

 

“ I did not! Just because I was looking in that direction does not mean I was looking at you. Seriously, talk about being conceded.”

 

“ Oh really? Then where were you looking at huh?”

 

“ I don’t have to answer that if I don’t want to!” Amber knew Krystal was right but her pride would not let her give in so easily.

 

“ Whatever . “ Krystal stood up from her seat “Come on Sulli. I don’t want to be near this ert anymore.” Krystal then walked away into the mass of dancing bodies.

 

“I’m so sorry about her. I don’t know what’s wrong with her.” Sulli had apologized before she walked after her friend.

 

“ Did she just? Ah!” Amber screamed her frustration out and drank the rest of her beverage.

 

“Key! Let me get another one. My mood has been ruined by that… that know it all, stuck up, ungrateful !” Amber said as she slammed her drink down onto the counter.

 

“ Geez. You don’t have to get your in a twist. I told you she was cold, you just didn’t listen.” Key said as he took her empty glass.

 

“ Just go do your job and let me blow off some steam.” Amber said as she reached for her cell phone.

 

“Taeyeon!” Amber screamed through the phone.

 

“ Don’t tell me, you're drunk already?”

 

“What? No! I'm calling to let you know that I’ll do the assignment, in fact, I’ll torture the out of the girl just to give her a lesson so she won’t be such a stuck up !” Amber was still fuming over the fact that she was dissed, and not just once.

 

“Whoa there! Now before you keep on raging on about your new target, I’m going to guess that you bumped into her at the club and she did something AND that also explains why you’re having a fit.” Taeyeon couldn’t believe that Amber had actually taken up the assignment willingly.

 

“ I am not having a fit” Amber denied the fact that she was having one.

 

“Then please care to explain to me what it is that you’re having at the moment?"

 

“ I … you know what, forget it! Just be glad I’m doing the job and expect it to be done soon!” Amber was not going to back down from this, now that she was this pissed off.

 

“Just don’t do anything rash, Amber. Okay?” Taeyeon knew what Jerk-Amber was capable of when she was angry.

 

“ I won’t. Bye Taeyeon.” Amber then ended the call.

 

“ Here you go Amber. Knock yourself out.” Key gave Amber her drink.

 

“ Thanks. Just send me the bill for the drinks.” Amber then took a drink and roamed her eyes around the club to see if anyone else would catch her interest. But two drinks later, she gave up. Her mood was ruined for the night and the drinks were not helping her at all.

 

“ I’m out of here Key! I’m just not feeling it anymore.” Amber notified Key and left the club.

 

As she got into her car, she noticed a girl walking alone. Amber, feeling like being nice to the girl, wanted to give her a ride home so she won’t get harmed.

 

“ Excuse me, Miss! I was wondering if you would want a ride. It’s not safe walking around this late at night.” Amber stopped her car next to the girl.

 

“ I don’t…. What makes you think I’ll receive a ride from a ert like you.” The said girl was none other than Krystal herself. And still being angry at Amber, Krystal kept on walking, ignoring the older girl.

 

“ Yah! I told you I am not a ert! I… aish!” even though Amber was angry at the girl, she could not let the girl walk alone in the dark. Amber knew that she could just make it easier on herself and let the girl into trouble, then she wouldn’t have to worry about finishing her off later on. But as nice as that sounded, she just couldn’t let that happen.

 

“ Hey! Wait. Krystal.” Amber grabbed Krystal by the wrist and turned her around.

 

“Look. I know we started off on the wrong foot but please let me just give you a ride home okay. Here let’s start off with a clean slate again. Hi, my name is Amber Liu, and I don’t like to be called a ert.” Amber let go of Krystal and stretched out her right hand. Krystal looked at Amber and then at her hand.

 

“Krystal. Krystal Jung Soojung and I don’t like it when people eye me.” Krystal said as she took Amber’s hand.

 

“ I told you already I… ah…. You know what, let’s just get you home.” Without thinking, Amber grabbed Krystal's wrist and led her to her car.

 

“I can walk on my own without you having to hold on to me, you know.” Krystal tried to get out of Amber’s grasp.

 

“I know, but for all I know, some creep can pop out any second and then you wouldn’t be within my reach just in case something were to happen.” Being thoughtful, Amber opened the door for Krystal.

 

“ Wow. What a gentlemen.” Krystal got into the car and fastened her seat belt.

 

“ I told you already I’m not a guy.” Amber said as soon as she got into the driver’s seat.

 

“You’re not kidding?” Krystal thought she had been trying to fool her earlier.

 

“No. I'm not, I seriously am a girl, I just like to dress up in more comfortable clothes. I can’t do high heels and short dresses. I’ll leave that to you and the rest of the population of girls to uphold that image. “

 

“ So where am I taking you?” Amber said as she put the car into drive.

 

“Just keep on driving, and I’ll tell you when to make a right or left,” Krystal said. What Amber said to her peaked her interest for some odd reason.

 

“So does that mean that you’re a lesbian?” Krystal was looking out of the window.

 

“Yeah, I am. How about you?” Amber didn’t know why she was starting to get so nervous around the younger girl.

 

“ I’m bi-ual, but I’m more interested in men.” Krystal then looked onto the road. “Make a right on the next street.” She then returned to her previous position.

 

“ Seriously? Didn’t take you much as a girl who would be interested in other girls.” Amber made a right and continued driving.

 

Krystal just shrugged.

 

“So…” Amber wanted to continue the conversation like any other typical person would, but that was the problem, she already knew most of the girl’s life without meaning to invade her privacy.

 

“Do you have any siblings?” Amber already knew the answer to that but what Krystal said next shocked her.

 

“Yes. I do, but…” Krystal seemed tense.

 

“It’s okay. You don’t have to tell me.” Amber noticed it and tried to avoid any discomfort.

 

It was silent as Amber kept driving with Krystal telling her in what direction she should be heading. Amber was now second guessing herself if Krystal was truly her target, and Krystal was trying to distract herself from thinking about her other sibling.

 

“ My house is the one up ahead,” Krystal said, biting her lip down nervously. “My sister... I– I actually don’t know what has been of her for the past 9 months.” Krystal felt strange being around the other girl, but she felt as if she could trust her, and that confused her. “She left me just like everyone else has.” Krystal whispered, and Amber stopped the car in front of her house. All of what Krystal had revealed was new to Amber. Her doubts continued to grow, but the files she receives are never wrong.

 

“ I’m sorry.” Amber pitied the girl, so she grabbed Krystal's hand and gave it a light squeeze. 

 

Krystal then felt her tears threatening to spill, and she tried to get out of Amber’s hold because she didn't want the other girl to witness her cry, but she was pulled into a hug.

 

“Trust me. Just let it out right now while you have a shoulder to cry on.” Krystal couldn’t hold it contain herself anymore and let everything out. All of her bottled up emotions were let out onto Amber’s shoulder. She just couldn't take it anymore. She had to release everything.

 

“It’s okay. I’m here. Just let it all out.” Amber tried her best to soothe the girl, even though she knew she shouldn’t be consoling her target, and the tomboy knew she shouldn’t be feeling any type of emotion for the girl, but she just couldn’t leave the girl. She felt like she had to do something. 

 

In fact, she acknowledged that she couldn’t kill the girl. Not now, not ever.

 

“ Thank you.” After letting everything out, Krystal felt as if a lot of weight was lifted off her shoulders, and she was a bit embarrassed about it.

 

“Any time.” Amber smiled and hugged their bodies a bit closer. “ You can call me. I know we just met but… if you ever need a shoulder to cry on or if you just need someone to be next to you, just call me. I know how it feels like to lose somebody.” Amber knew she shouldn’t be doing this, but she just couldn’t help it.

 

“By any chance, Could you… Um… Could you stay with me for the night.”  Krystal felt safe in Amber’s arms. She wanted to feel like this even if it meant taking a small risk in pushing her limit.

 

Amber pulled out of the hug. “Of course, only if you’re comfortable with it.”

 

Krystal nodded and wiped her tears with a tissue that Amber gave her.

 

“So should I just park my car behind yours?” Amber asked as she put her car into drive.

 

“Yeah.” Krystal looked at herself in the mirror as she fixed up her make up.

 

“Okay,” Once Amber parked the car, she helped Krystal out, and they walked to the front door.

 

“Sorry if it’s a mess inside.” Krystal said as she opened the door and the lights.

 

“It’s okay. I’m already used to my roommates mess, so I doubt you can be as messy as her.” Amber said as she stepped inside.

 

“ Would you like anything to drink?” Krystal asked as she took off her heels.

 

“Water, please.” Amber copied Krystal's actions.

 

“Make yourself at home,” Krystal said as she went to get Amber’s water.

 

Amber settled down on the couch. She couldn’t believe herself. A few hours ago she was cursing away the younger girl, swearing that she would torture her, and yet here she is making herself at home in the ‘stuck up’ girl’s home. Talk about being a jerk, no, talk about being a hypocrite. Amber smacked her forehead. How could she let her pride affect her so much?

 

“I don’t know if you like tap or bottled, so I got you bottled water.” Krystal handed the water to Amber.

 

“ Either or would have been fine. Thanks.” Amber said as she opened the bottle and took a drink to quench her thirst.

 

“ You know, I haven’t ever opened up to anyone like that… I just…” Krystal said as she looked down.

 

Amber saw Krystal's discomfort. She got up from her seat and grabbed Krystal’s hand. “ It’s okay. Like I said I’ll do anything to comfort you in anyway possible. So if you’re worried that I’ll tell anyone, don’t. I won’t say a thing about it.”

 

“ Thanks” Krystal could feel a blush on her face. She was still embarrassed that the other girl witnessed her crying.

 

Amber lifted Krystal by her chin so that her eyes would meet Krystal’s. “Your very welcome” Amber smiled.

 

Krystal smiled back.

 

“You know, if I would have seen that smile at the club. You could have called me a ert all you wanted, and you know what? I wouldn’t have minded at all.” Amber knew Krystal was pretty, but Krystal’s smile was indescribably beautiful.

 

Krystal blushed and stepped back. “ That still doesn’t change the fact that you are one and don’t deny it this time. I know it was you that had their eyes roaming my body.”

 

“ Fine. So what if I was checking you out?  That still doesn’t mean I’m a ert. I mean you can’t blame me for being able to realize that you have a marvelous body okay?” Amber crossed her arms across her chest. “And that also reminds me. What happened to your tall friend Sulli?”

 

“ She left as soon as she was able to get together with some hot guy. The nerve of her leaving me like that when she knew she was my ride back home.” Krystal crossed her arms as she was reminded of a certain tall friend she wanted to strangle.

 

Amber laughed.

 

“Yah! Don’t laugh at me!” Krystal punched Amber’s arm.

 

“I’m sorry, but you deserved it! To be honest, you were not so nice at the club.” Amber said as she rubbed her numb arm. “You have quite a punch there. My arm is actually numb.”

 

“Good. And as if you were just as nice to me.” She replied

 

“ What are you talking about? I was being nice to you. I bought you your drink, I shut Key’s big mouth before he could continue from his endless talk about how much of a big fan he is of yours, and I even gave you a ride home!”  Amber could not see where she had gone wrong in not being kind to the younger girl.

 

“ You told me that I'm conceded after you tried to deny the fact that you were ogling my body!”

 

“ Yeah, but that was only because you were calling me a ert!”

 

There was a long silence as the two were glaring at each other.

 

“Look you know what. Let’s just drop this. If we continue this it’s just going to be a stupid endless fight, again. Alright?” Amber let out a sigh as she pushed her hair back with her hand.

 

“ Fine.” Krystal gave in and agreed with Amber. And when she felt her body wanting to get to bed, she felt herself get nervous once more.“ Hey, Amber?”

“Yeah?” Amber sensed Krystal being a bit weird.

 

“ Can you um… Can you sleep with me?" Krystal realized her wrong choice of words and tried to explain herself. " I mean not sleep with me like-“

 

“I know what you meant to say, and your answer is yes. I told you, if you need me, I’ll try to be there for you. Losing someone isn't as easy as they say it is.” Amber smiled at Krystal.

 

“Thanks” Krystal felt the room heat up once more. She didn’t know what it was about the tomboy that made her feel that way.

 

Amber followed Krystal to her bedroom. She was awed by the interior design of the room. It was so modern like and elegant.

 

“ Do you need a change of clothes?”

 

“Do you have any sweats I can borrow? Something that isn’t too girly for my liking…” Amber didn’t want to be stuck wearing jeans for the night.

 

“Yeah, give me a second.” It didn't take long for Krystal to find a pair of sweats for her because she would wear them from time to time.

 

“Here you go. I’m just going to change and freshen up before I join you.”

 

As soon as Krystal left, Amber changed. She then laid down on the soft mattress and pulled the bed sheets over her body. A sense of tiredness overcame her body as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

 

Krystal got back to a half asleep Amber, and she turned off the lights before she laid down on the other side of the bed. “I’m sorry, did I wake you up?”

 

“No, I was still up.” Amber smiled. “Night Krystal.”She turned her back to Krystal.

 

“ Hey Amber?” Krystal asked and received a hum in response.

 

“ Can you… Can you hug me while I sleep?” Krystal missed being hugged in her sleep. Her older sister usually did so when she would spend some nights with her at their house, and she didn’t get a response from Amber so she took that as a no. Feeling hurt, she turned her back to Amber but was surprised when Amber pulled her into her body.


“Of course Princess.”