Chapter 2

LifeMate

 

 

“ I’m home!” Amber shouted as she slipped out of her shoes and placed her bag to the side.

 

“ Sooyoung? Woody? Hello? Anyone home?” She walked throughout the entire penthouse looking for any traces of either her roommate or her dog.

 

“Hmm… maybe she took him out for a walk.” Amber then proceeded to take off her cap and jacket. As she shuffled to her closet, to choose what she was going to wear for the night, she noticed a package on her desk.

 

Curiosity got the best out of her, and she would be lying if she said she was not interested in who this girl was. Giving into temptation, she sauntered over to her desk and opened the package, revealing a single white sheet of blank paper.

 

“ And it had to be classified.” She then walked over to her light table and placed the piece of paper over it, turning the machine on to expose a picture of a girl and her information.

 

Amber was surprised when she laid eyes on the woman’s picture. She found herself staring at her for a minute or two before she proceeded to continue the woman’s information. “Krystal Jung Soojung.” She became too engrossed in reading the information to realize that someone had just arrived.

 

---

 

“Woody! Calm down boy! I know you're thirsty but let me, at least, take off your harness.” Sooyoung said as she took off his harness and then proceeded to walk toward the kitchen. The dog then eagerly ran over to his water bowl and happily drank his water.

 

“Hmm… I’m so hungry! What to eat, what to eat?” Sooyoung looked through the fridge to see what would ease her appetite for the moment. She had then settled on a yogurt and went to check up on Woody.

 

“Woody? Where are you?” Sooyoung searched throughout the living room and then heard laughing.

 

“Amber? Is that you?” She walked over to Amber’s room, only to see a laughing tomboy with a small spotted dog her face.

 

“ Ew, no Woody! Stop, I don’t want your dog cooties!” Amber pushed the dog to the side and sat up.

 

“ Welcome home. We missed you.” Sooyoung mumbled through the spoon of yogurt she had just stuffed into .

 

“ I can see that very clearly, but don’t get used to it because I have another job, and it might take a week.” Amber said as she got up from her spot and proceeded to see what she would wear for the night.

 

“Great. So that means I’m stuck with this for a whole week?” she said as she pointed to the dog that was wagging his tail at her excitedly.

 

“He’s a good dog, and you know you like him, so stop acting like you don’t. Hey, does this look good?” Amber turned around and revealed Sooyoung her outfit for the night.

 

“ Are you trying just to have fun tonight or are you attempting to pick up a girl?” Sooyoung asked once she saw the outfit.

 

“I don’t know; I’ll have to see once I get there.” Amber replied to her as she looked at her outfit.

 

“So, what does this say?” she asked Sooyoung and posed for her.

 

“It says, ‘I want to have fun but not the type of fun you're looking for’” Sooyoung replied bluntly.

 

“ I give up, help me! Please!” Amber pouted while dropping her clothes to the ground.

 

“Ew, don’t do that face again unless you want me to throw up rainbows and unicorns.” Sooyoung put her yogurt aside as she pushed Amber face away.

 

“ Now let’s see… What screams I want to get laid tonight?” Sooyoung said as she glanced through Amber’s closet

 

“ Don’t make it sound like I’m a or something. I haven’t been laid for quite awhile now for your information.” Amber tried to defend her image.

 

“ Do you know how sad you're making yourself look by just stating that fact.” Sooyoung looked at Amber with an ‘Are you serious?’ face.

 

“ Hey! I take pride in not getting laid every once in awhile unlike you! Which reminds me, we need to get you checked up. For all, you can have HIV or Aids, or even worse Chlamydia!” A fist greeted Amber as soon as she finished her last statement.

 

“I do not have any of those, those things you just mentioned! And for your information, I check who I sleep with, so I'm cleaner than your dog's mouth!” Sooyoung pointed at the dog that was lying on his back as he watched them argue, wondering why they were upside down.

 

“Ouch! That hurt. I mean, did you have to punch my jaw? Seriously, I thought I felt something crack or something.” Amber said as she held her jaw.

 

“What are you? Oh ! Amber!!” Sooyoung yelled at Amber as she looked at her deformed hand.

 

“What? Oh, crap. Okay, whatever you do, don’t panic!” Amber looked at Sooyoung’s messed up knuckle.

 

“ What do you mean don’t panic? I’m panicking over here!!! Can you not-“ Sooyoung was silenced as a hand covered .

 

“ Geez, the first thing I tell you not to do and then you do it. Now, by the looks of it, it doesn’t look that bad. Here give me your hand.” Sooyoung did so, and Amber, then, examined her hand and got a few groans in response.

 

“You’re lucky, your knuckle is just dislocated. Now, here is what I want you to do and this time, do as I say. Loosen up your entire right arm and don’t think about anything. Got it?” Amber instructed Sooyoung as she held her pinky.

 

“Wait. This won’t hurt right?” Sooyoung asked as she was trying her best to relax her arm for Amber.

 

“Only a little but the pain will pass within a few seconds. Now loosen up.” As soon as Sooyoung did so, Amber tugged on her pinky with the correct amount of force, and they heard a pop.

 

“Now was so terrible? Ms. I'm being over-dramatic about something that I caused upon myself.” Amber spoke as she resumed checking her hand.

 

“Whose fault is it for mentioning that I’ll get Chlamydia? Exactly, so shut it.” Sooyoung asserted as she let Amber look at her hand.

 

“Whatever. Now come over here and sit down while I get an ointment so that I could massage it a bit for you.” Amber instructed Sooyoung and left to the medicine cabinet to grab the ointment and a crepe bandage.

 

Amber spent the next few minutes attending to Sooyoung's injury. She made fun of the other girl as she did so, and Sooyoung could only glare.

 

“All done! Now next time you have the urge to punch me, make sure you know how to hit before you act on it and not think about it beforehand.” Amber said as she stood up and helped Sooyoung get up as well.

 

“The next time I have the urge to hit you, I’ll make sure my fists are not involved, in fact, I’ll replace them with an object. A very hard object for your smart .” Sooyoung mumbled as she walked back to Amber’s closet.

 

“Here, this should be acceptable for the night. Just make sure to keep it down if you decide to bring a girl here.” Sooyoung said as she walked out of the room with Woody trailing behind her.

 

“Yah! How many time do I… ah, nevermind I’m showering.”  Amber grabbed her toiletries and headed to the bathroom.

 

---

 

“ Hey, you okay in here?” Amber said as she poked her head inside Sooyoung's room.

 

“ Yeah, I’ll be okay and don’t bother leaving me anything to eat before you leave, I just called the pizza guy for a delivery.” Sooyoung said as she laid down on her bed while changing the channels to see what was good on T.V.

 

“Shikshin, even late at night you’re still eating. I swear I don’t even know what Jess-“ Amber stopped herself before she could even mention a particular someone to Sooyoung.

 

“I'm sorry. I shouldn’t have-“ Amber was about to apologize, but she was cut off.

 

“ It’s fine. Don’t worry about it, just go already before you end up not leaving after all.” Sooyoung said as she kept on looking at the television. She didn’t even bat an eyelash in Amber’s direction.

 

“Ah, alright. Well, don’t wait up for me and call me if you need anything. And when I say anything, I mean it Sooyoung.” Amber stood by the door, waiting for a response.

 

“I know, now go and stop annoying me you worry hog.” Sooyoung smiled at Amber, trying to reassure the younger girl.

 

“ Okay. Okay. Geez. Well, I’m out of here. Take care!” Amber then closed Sooyoung's door. She couldn't help but scold herself for being so insensitive about mentioning Sooyoung's ex. She had promised herself never to mention that name again, and yet, that was the first thing she did.

 

---

 

“Am! Is that you? Wow, talk about, long time no see!” the bouncer in front of the club called Amber to the front.

 

“I know right? Man, it’s so good to see you!” Amber gave the said man a ‘bro hug’ and looked around.

 

“ You guys must be making great money by the looks of it” Amber was amazed by the count of people that showed up at the club.

 

“Yeah we’ve been quite busy these past few weeks ever since we started promoting this new DJ, it’s been crazy with him here. We are getting people to pack this place within the hours! Which reminds me, where have you been?”

 

“I’ve been stuck at work. They have been pounding me with new assignments left and right. It’s been pretty hard but hey you gotta do what you gotta do right?” She replied as she tousled her messy hair.

 

“ True. Well if you're looking for Key, he’s inside working his hours.” The bouncer let Amber proceed into the club while others had to wait outside for their turn to go in.

 

As soon as Amber stepped in she was greeted by music blasting into her ears and sweaty bodies grinding against each other. She immediately spotted Key and walked over to the bar.

 

“Ambro! What’s up, bro! It’s been awhile since you’ve showed your face around here!” Key shouted at Amber as he pulled her into a hug.

 

“Hey, Key! Yeah, I know! What can I say? I was so wrapped up in work.” Amber shouted back as she settled down on one of the stools.

 

“What would you like? It’s on the house!”

 

“Same as always. I feel like loosening up a bit. So, anything new around here, that is, excluding the new DJ?”

 

“No joke. There have been a lot of hot chicks walking around. There is one that I have had my eye on. You know I think she’s your type, but be careful, she’s a bit cold. Talk about a turn-off!”

 

Amber laughed at Key.

 

“Since when have you been so interested in women, huh?” Key put her drink down.

 

“What are you talking about? I have always been interested in women. You make it sound like I’m not interested at all!” Amber rolled her eyes.

 

“So, about that chick. Is she seriously that hot?” Curiosity got the best of her.

 

“9’o clock. Dancing with the tall chick. You know she kind of looks familiar, but I haven’t been able to figure out where I’ve seen her before.”

 

Amber looked at the said woman. Key was right, the girl was hot and not only that she had all that in which every guy would want or in Amber’s case, woman.

 

“ Oh! Watch out, there coming over here! Better make a move now Amber or forever hold your peace!”

 

True to Key’s word, the two girls did stumble over to the bar, and to Amber's luck, they were right next to her.

 

“ What can I get you two lovely ladies?” Key asked.

 

“ Two Cape Cod’s Please!” one of the girls answered.

 

“Coming right up!” Key answered back with a charming smile

 

“ Hey, Key!” Amber called out to him and got his attention.

 

“What’s up? You need another drink?” Key asked

 

“ No, their drinks, just put it on my tab.” Amber said

 

“Whatever you say.” Key then proceeded on doing his job. The tallest girl, out of the two, turned to see who had given them their free drinks. “Thanks for the free drinks! My name’s Sulli by the way.”

 

“Nice to meet you. I’m Amber, and you must be?” Amber said to Sulli before she could turn to the other woman, but the other girl ignored Amber.

 

“Oh, excuse my friend. She’s has just been edge lately. My friend's name here is-“

“Krystal?”