Chapter 14

LifeMate

Sooyoung walked along the sidewalk with Woody along side her. She had been trying to think of a way to meet up with Jessica without it being too awkward. “ This is so frustrating!” The girl was empty minded she couldn’t think of anything at the moment, her mind was blank as a sheet of paper.

 

Woody tugged at the leash and barked happily. Sooyoung looked down at him and noticed his gaze was fixed on something, she looked up and saw a food cart, “ No Woody, we are getting medication for your owner. Now, come on the market isn’t too far from here.” Woody whimpered as he followed the tall girl, the dog was starving.

 

“ Stop whining, we’re here. Now if you behave yourself I might just buy you something.” Woody barked in response and wagged his tail once more; he would do anything for food.

 

Sooyoung minded her own business and went into the medication isle. She looked through all of the brands and finally chose one. “ Come on Woody, let’s go see what they have in the bakery.” Woody quickened his pace and Sooyoung laughed at the dog. “ I see someone’s hungry.”

 

Once they stopped in front of the bakery, Sooyoung was greeted by one of the baker’s at the market. “ Miss Sooyoung!” Sooyoung looked at the direction they were calling her and smiled. “ It’s nice seeing you around here again Miss, why are you here so early in the morning? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a pleasure to see you this early in the day but you never come this early in the morning.”

 

“ It’s nice seeing you again Donghae. I’m actually here because Amber has a fever, I’m also quiet hungry and this little Shikshin over here wouldn’t stop whining.”

 

Donghae laughed at Sooyoung's remark, “ I see, well then shall I get you the usual?” Sooyoung nodded, paid,  and walked over to one of the stools they had for their costomers to sit.

 

Donghae noticed a new customer and attended the young woman, “ Good morning Miss, what can I get for you?” The woman looked at the menu and ordered, she then took a seat as she waited for her order.

 

Sooyoung who was browsing through her phone saw someone sit down not so far from her; the girl seemed familiar to her. “ Jessica?” The girl looked up “ Jessica is that you?”

 

The girl smiled at Sooyoung, “ Why do you keep calling me Jessica?”

 

Sooyoung stood up and sat in front of Jessica. “ Ah, I’m sorry Sooyeon. I was just so used to calling you Jessica.”

 

Jessica furrowed her brows; “ Yuri said that I was to meet you soon. She also said that we used to know each other before my accident. Is ‘Jessica’ what you called me before?”

 

Sooyoung looked down to her hands and half-heartedly smiled, “ How much has Yuri told you about your life.”

 

“ She said I worked with a partner, Amber, as one of the reapers. She told me how both Amber and I got into a car incident when we spun out of control, Amber was lucky to slip out of the car before it the bottom of the cliff, I wasn’t so lucky because my seatbelt was stuck. She told me that my parents died when I was still young and I wasn’t found until five years later. Apparently I was in San Francisco when they found me. She…. She said that I was in a relationship before the accident, but that we would argue a lot because of certain things, She didn’t say why, but from the way she looked at me I could tell that I must have been through a lot of pain.”  Jessica looked at Sooyoung; she saw that Sooyoung had not looked at her once. “ Sooyoung?”

 

Sooyoung looked up to see Jessica’s eye’s looking back at her. Sooyoung felt as if something was stuck in . “ Yes?”

 

“ Can I?” Jessica hovered her hand above Sooyoung's “I just need to know something.”

 

Sooyoung nodded.

 

Jessica took Sooyoung’s hand into hers. “ You-“

 

“ Yes, I was that jerk who hurt you, but I had my reason’s. I couldn’t always fulfill everything and we argued because of it.” Sooyoung then took Jessica’s hands into hers “ I never once meant to hurt you. I always tried my best to compromise those unfulfilled wishes you had for our future. We always worked it out the best we both could. You don’t know how sorry I am that I couldn’t do much for you. I really am sorry.” Sooyoung felt her tears threatening to spill.

 

“ Then why didn’t you visit me?” Jessica felt hurt seeing Sooyoung look at her with those pair of sad eyes.

 

“ I didn’t know you were alive. When Amber came home she had told me you had died. I didn’t know you were alive, I didn’t know anything Jessica.”

 

Jessica slipped her hands away from Sooyoung’s. “Yuri, she never told you?”

 

Sooyoung shook her head, “ No, but I’m sure she had her reason’s.” Sooyoung had seen the pained looked across Jessica’s eyes. “ Hey, I am pretty sure she had her reason’s to not tell you. I mean think about it, she was always the one who comforted you when we had a fight. If I were her I would also want to keep you away from harm.”

 

“ But still, she shouldn’t have and she should have told me before we… I’m sorry Sooyoung I didn’t know and when we touched I felt different about her and we-“ Jessica didn’t get the chance to finish her sentence.

 

“ I know. Yuri told me that she claimed you, but it’s okay.” Sooyoung couldn’t let Jessica finish her sentence. It already hurt her when Yuri had told her, she didn’t want to hear it from Jessica either.

 

Jessica was confused, “ There is one thing that still confuses me though...”

 

“What is it?” Sooyoung asked.

 

Jessica held Sooyoung’s hand once more “ Why is it that I still feel different when I also touch you. I thought you could only have one lifemate; I shouldn’t be able to feel like this when I touch you.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, “Your not supposed to, but before anything happened, you had claimed me but I wasn’t able to return the favor. So that means that you still had the chance to find someone else since I had not claimed you.”

 

“ Is that what we fought about?” Jessica asked.

 

Sooyoung nodded.

 

“ Why? Why didn’t you claim me?”

 

“ I couldn’t.” Sooyoung took her hands into hers. “ Why?”

 

“ Because I had lost my power’s, so I couldn’t claim you because of it.” she intertwined her hand with Jessica’s “ but…”

 

“ But?”

 

“ When you had supposedly died, I regained my powers.” She squeezed Jessica’s hand a bit. “ I can cut the bond that both you and Yuri have, but I won’t. Not unless you give me permission to.”

 

Jessica sighed as she heard Sooyoung's response. “ This is so much to take in Sooyoung.”

 

“ I know, and I know what you’re thinking, but please think about it and please try not to push me away. You have to understand that I thought you were dead, I mean when I saw you at the restaurant it was the biggest shock I had received in my life. Please try to understand the position I am in too.”

 

Jessica nodded, “ I make no promises but okay, I’ll think about things.”

 

Donghae’s voice brought them back to reality, “ Sooyoung I have your order ready.” Sooyoung looked at Donghae and got up to retrieve her order. “ Thank you Donghae.”

 

“ Miss, your order is also ready.” Donghae said as he held her order.

 

Jessica stood up , “ Thank you.” She smiled at Donghae and then looked at Sooyoung but before she could bid good-bye Sooyoung spoke.

 

“ Could I ask you for a favor?”

 

“ Why do you cut my sentences off or don’t let me speak up.”

 

Sooyoung was embarrassed, “ Ah, sorry.”

 

Jessica giggled, “ It’s okay and yes sure.”

 

“ Could you come with my to my apartment? It’s just… ever since you were gone Amber has really beat herself up about it.”

 

“You want me to talk about it with her?” Jessica asked.

 

Sooyoung nodded, “ I’ve tried to tell her already but she has been pretty stubborn about it.

 

Jessica smiled, “ Very well then, I will.”

 

“Great! I bet she’ll be pretty surprised to see you. “ Sooyoung intertwined her hand with Jessica and walked toward the exit. “ You’ll like her trust me” She then smiled and turned to see Jessica. She had noticed that Jessica had seemed a bit flushed. “ Are you okay?”

 

Jessica nodded, “ Fine, I’m fine, just lead the way.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, “ Come on woody! We are taking Jessica home!” woody barked in response.