Chapter 22

LifeMate

 

 

The doors opened and all three girls stepped into a big room. “ You sure did a lot of work while I was gone.”

 

“Well when you start getting your powers back you find them very handy.” Sooyoung made her way to a desk and sat down, she then grabbed a couple pieces of papers and began to draw. “ Now give me a minute while I draw these out of memory.”

 

“You draw?” Jessica, who was so engrossed in studying the room, looked at Sooyoung when the younger girl had spoke.

 

“ She has this crazy photographic memory sometimes, and she can remember faces and maps easily. When your working as the upper head, that tends to come in really handy, reason to why she was so great at what she did.”

 

Sooyoung chuckled at Amber’s explanation, “ I only remember if I want to remember, other than that, my memory is just as normal as any other person.”

 

Amber snorted, “Liar.”

 

Sooyoung quickly finished her sketches and then ushered the other two to come close to her. “ Yuri and I had a meeting about some of our kind going missing. All of these faces…” Sooyoung laid out several sheets of sketches of people she had drawn “ They were all high ranking reapers', assassins', and law enforcers'. We can safely say that they were all kidnapped by two persons. One being a male.” She showed the drawing of the man in all black “And the other being a female. “ She then showed the other drawing, “ All of this was apparently picked out at random, and so if you were in a powerful ranking position then there was a fifty-fifty chance that you would get chosen as the next victim.”

 

“You said were. What do you mean by were?” Jessica asked.

 

“ There hasn’t been any type of activity in the past five months. There was an apparently high level of power near this location.” Sooyoung showed them a map “ Yuri sent out Hyo and Seo to go check it out, but there has not been another out break. Though I have a feeling that the level of power we had seen was only a taste of what they can really do.”

 

“Like?” Amber asked.

 

“ Yuri showed me a video of two assassins being attacked by the two unknown kidnappers. Apparently, they have like power’s as you Amber and have the ability to teleport.”

 

 “They can teleport?” Jessica was surprised.

 

Sooyoung nodded, “ For now that’s all we know, but it can happen that they have other different powers. “  Sooyoung leaned back in her chair, “ So that means we have to be prepared for the worst possible case scenario.”

 

“ What are both you and Yuri planning to do?” Amber knew Sooyoung had a plan in that big head of hers.

 

“ Well, first of all, you are no longer working as a reaper. You’ll be put back into training and strive to move through shadows at a much quicker rate. I don’t know how strong they really are so expect a lot of training sessions with Yuri and your quickness with Hyo.”

 

Amber nodded; she was actually quite excited to get back into training.

 

“I’m having Yuri pull back Hyo and Seo so that they can work along side Tiffany and Taeyeon. Hyoyeon and Tiffany will be in charge of the new trainees’ that are coming in. Taeyeon and Seohyun will be going through all of the databases to find a leak. I was also thinking of organizing a group with them to update and ready our weaponry systems.”

 

Sooyoung then looked at Jessica, “ Jessica, I need you to work on your powers. Yuri told me that you have been having trouble with controlling time. Am I right?”

 

Jessica nodded, “The most I can hold time is for a second.”

 

“Then we’ll have to work on that.” Sooyoung smiled at the older girl “ Your sister…”

 

“What about her?”

 

Sooyoung sighed, “ She will have to be in training as well. Hyo and I will be training with her so that she can realize her own powers sooner.”

 

Jessica nodded, “I’ll talk to her. So you don’t have to worry about her.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, “Thank you Jessica.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

“ I also have something else to tell you both.”

 

“What is it?” Amber asked.

 

“ Since all of this has happened, I need you two to watch your backs. So that means no walking alone to places, especially you Jessica, if they were to find out that you are still alive then I don’t know if the word will get to them and target you. So whenever you are out in public places you will be just Sooyeon. Your sister, since she is still new to this we really don’t have to worry about her, but that does not mean we will just ignore her. I will have someone looking after her.”

 

Amber sighed, “Let me guess. You will be sending-“

 

“Not you.”

 

“What?” Amber was surprised.

 

“If I send you to work undercover at her agency then the results would be catastrophic. I know what you are capable of when you are jealous, and I don’t need you head butting your head with Minho over Krystal.”

 

 “You know me too well.” Amber said as she grinned “ What about you?”

 

“They don’t know I have my powers back, and I doubt they would target me either way.”

 

“True… So are we done?”

 

Sooyoung nodded, “You may go back up if you want to.”

 

“No way! I mean look at this!” Amber pointed at Sooyoung’s gaming station, “ Why the hell did you not tell me about you having a gaming station!” Amber made herself comfortable as she the console. “I could have been playing this beauty day and night”

 

Sooyoung shrugged, “ All the more reason not to tell you. You would just spend your life down in this room.”

 

Amber snorted, “As if you didn’t.”

 

“Why you little-“

 

“You guys are such geeks.” Jessica was actually amused by the conversation that Sooyoung and Amber were having “I don’t even know how I lived with either of you.”

 

“I am not a geek.” Sooyoung stood from her seat.

 

“Oh yeah?” Jessica challenged Sooyoung.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Then tell me you don’t have the latest consoles, games, and software updates to all of them.”

 

Sooyoung stayed quiet.

 

“Oh she has them alright.” Amber said from where she sat.

 

“Yah!”

 

Jessica laughed at the younger girl, “Geek!”

 

Sooyoung scowled as she had her arms crossed like a little kid, “ Am not” she mumbled and her lips then turned into a pout.

 

Jessica giggled at he sight before her, she found out that an upset Sooyoung looked cute, “It’s okay.” She stood close to Sooyoung “Because you’re my geek” She then pecked Sooyoung on the lips.

 

Sooyoung was surprised that Jessica had actually kissed her, but before she could say anything Amber spoke before her.

 

“As much as I love you two, can you please not have your little mushy scene here? I don’t need to witness any of it so get a different room.” Amber had her eyes glued to the screen before her as she played a video game.

 

Both Sooyoung and Jessica blushed madly at Amber’s statement. “ I’ll um… I’ll be in my room if you need me.” Jessica then made her way to the elevator doors and left.

 

Sooyoung walked up to the younger girl and smacked her on the back of her head, “Ow! What the hell Sooyoung! What was that for?”

 

“Stop asking stupid questions. You already know what that was for.” Sooyoung raked her fingers through her hair “Aish! You and your big mouth sometimes don’t know when to shut up.”

 

“What did I say?”

 

Sooyoung glared at the younger girl and then sighed, ”Go get a life Amber.”  Sooyoung then left the room.

 

Amber looked at the closing elevator doors and then back at the screen before her; she was dumbfounded. “What the hell did I say?” She then decided not to think too much into it and shrugged.

 

Amber spent the next few hours playing to her hearts content. It wasn’t after awhile she got fed up with killing people. The game was just to easy for her, and people were starting to complain because she was too good for the game. She would get kicked out of parties because of it and the other gamers had been complaining and saying that she was cheating and hacking the game, and Amber had enough of it.

 

 “Stupid people.” Amber said as she turned off the console, she then reached into her pocket and felt a paper. Amber took the paper out of her pocket and unfolded it. “ That’s right. Suzy.”

 

Amber then wondered if Suzy was off of her shift, she decided to put Suzy’s number into her phone and called the restaurant.

 

“Thank you for calling The Hideaway Café. How may I help you?”

 

“Hi um I was wondering what time you guys close.”

 

“We close at 9pm.”

 

“Oh okay thank you. I um... I actually have another question.”

 

“Ask away.”

 

“Can I know what time Suzy get’s off of work?”

 

“May I know who this is?”

 

“Amber. My name is Amber.”

 

“Oh Amber!” The girl was excited to know it was Amber who was calling.

 

“That’s my name.”

 

The girl giggled, “Her shift ends at 6 and she usually walks home.” The girl emphasized the word walks as if to hint on something.

 

“Okay, thank you very much.”

 

“You're welcome.”

 

“Bye.”

 

“Bye Amber.”

 

Amber ended the call, “What a weird girl.” She then checked the time on her phone and left the room.

 

As Amber stepped out of the elevator and into Sooyoung's room, she noticed that Sooyoung wasn’t inside of the room. She shrugged her shoulders and made her way out. 

 

A dolphin like scream could be heard down stairs and Amber covered her ears. She then heard footsteps make their way up the stairs and was greeted by a running Jessica. “Move Amber!”

 

Amber stepped back and out of Jessica’s path. She felt her back meet the door behind her and saw Jessica run into her room. She then heard another pair of footsteps make their way up the stairs, “Jessica!” A face covered in frosting greeted Amber.

 

Amber laughed at Sooyoung and the older girl glared at her. Amber then stopped and put her hands up, though a wide grin could be seen on Amber’s face. She tried so hard not to laugh at Sooyoung. “Shut up and don’t ask.” Sooyoung then made her way to Jessica’s door and knocked on it. “Jessica, open the door!”

 

Amber shook her head at the two and made her way into her room, she grabbed her toiletries and made her way into the shower. Once Amber was done getting ready and made her hair, she stepped out of her room. She walked over to Jessica’s room and knocked on the door. “Hey guys I’m going out okay!”

 

“Okay, don’t stay out too late!” She heard Sooyoung's voice and then made her way out of the apartment. She then got into her car and left.

 

Amber parked her car in front of a restaurant and got out of the car. She then stepped inside and was greeted by the receptionist. “Hi, table for one?”

 

“Yes please.” The girl then showed Amber her table. “Here you go, a waiter will attend you in a minute.” The girl gave Amber the menu and left.

 

Amber set the menu down and looked around, she then spotted a certain girl and smiled. A waiter then greeted her, “ Hi my name is Chorong. I’ll be your waiter for this evening. What can I get for you?”

 

“Can I just have a vanilla latte? Please.”

 

“Sure, will that be it?”

 

“Yes please.”

 

“Okay I’ll go get your latte ready.”

 

“Thank you.” Amber smiled at the girl.

 

The girl then left.

 

Amber then scanned the room and met a pair of eyes staring at her. She then smiled and waved at the girl. The girl made her way to Amber and sat in front of her. “Hey Amber. Are you here alone?”

 

Amber nodded and placed her jaw on her hand as she looked Suzy. “I heard your shift ends at six and I thought that maybe I could give you a ride home.” Amber then smiled.

 

Suzy smiled at the girl and nodded, “Yeah I heard from someone that you asked for me. I’ll gladly accept your offer. Let me just grab my stuff. I’ll be right back.” Suzy then stood up and left.

 

“Here’s your latte..” Chorong set her drink down. “Do you need anything else?”

 

Amber shook her head, “No thank you that will be it.”

 

“Okay. Enjoy your drink.” Chorong smiled at Amber and then left to attend other customers.

 

Suzy came back with her things and sat down, “Sorry if I took awhile, but my co-worker would not stop talking.” Suzy smiled apologetically.

 

“It’s ok.” Amber smiled. ”Let me just pay for this and we’ll head off.”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Chorong!” Amber called out the waiter’s name.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Can I have the bill?”

 

“Sure. I’ll be right back.” Chorong grabbed Amber’s cup and left.

 

“Why didn’t you just text me that you wanted to give me a ride?” Suzy asked.

 

Amber smiled at the girl, “I wanted to surprise you, but since your co-worker told you I guess it wasn’t much of a surprise after all.”

 

“I’m still pretty surprised you came, so  you can say you did surprise me after all” Suzy smiled back at Amber.

 

Amber looked down onto Suzy’s uniform and frowned, “I really am sorry about your uniform by the way.”

 

 “ Didn’t I tell you already that it’s okay? It was an accident.”

 

“Still, I should have been looking where I was going, and I’m serious about the dry cleaning.”

 

Suzy giggled, “Okay fine, if you insist.”

 

“Here’s your bill.”

 

“Thank you. “ Amber slipped in the amount.” Here you go. Oh and here’s your tip.” Amber handed the girl her tip.

 

“Thank you, have a nice day.” Chorong then left.

 

Amber stood up, “Here let me help you up.” Amber said as she helped Suzy get up.

 

“Thank you.” Suzy held onto Amber’s arm as they made there way out.

 

“So where do you live?”

 

“Just going down this street, it’s like a forty minute walk.”

 

“You walk that far?” Amber was surprised.

 

Suzy smiled awkwardly, “Yeah. I don’t have a car, so walking is the next best thing.”

 

Amber opened the car, “ What about the bus?” She opened Suzy’s door.

 

“Bus doesn’t take this street.” Suzy made her way into the car and sat down.

 

Amber then closed the door and made her way to the driver’s seat, “ Have you been trying to at least save up for a car?”

 

Suzy nodded, “Yes, I have and I’m almost there. I would say another 5 months of salary and I’ll finally have a car.”

 

“What car are you planning to get?” Amber asked as she started the engine and drove off.

 

“Well I was thinking about it and I want to get a Prius. I just don’t want a car that wastes gas too much and it suits my budget.”

 

Amber nodded, “ Are you getting a new one or a used one?”

 

“I looked at the prices and I’m going with a used one, but one that is still in pretty good shape and the mileage isn’t ridiculous.”

 

“I think I know someone who can get you a car like that for a very suitable price. How about I call you once I have all the information?”

 

“That would be great Amber. Thanks!”

 

Amber chuckled at the girl, “You’re welcome”

 

“You can make a left right here.”

 

“You live in an apartment complex?”

 

“Yeah, it’s nice here. It fit’s my budget and the neighbors are not too noisy.”

 

Amber smiled and parked the car. “Wait here I’ll open the door.” She made her way around the car and opened the door for Suzy.

 

“Thanks Amber” Suzy said as Amber helped her get out of the car.

 

“You’re welcome.” Amber smiled and they made their way to Suzy’s front door.

 

“So about that date.” Amber said as she scratched the back of her head and she received a hum from Suzy, “I was wondering if you’d like to go out to the Amusement park after you get off your shift…”

 

“Sure, I’d love too.”

 

“Great! Then what time do you think will be the best time for me to pick you up?” Amber smiled at the girl.

 

“I get off at 2 tomorrow, so come by at 4. I’ll be ready by then.” Suzy smiled back.

 

“Ok that sounds great! I guess I’ll see you then?”

 

Suzy nodded, “Thanks again Amber for the ride and everything.”

 

“You’re very welcome.”

 

Suzy smiled and kissed Amber on the cheek, “Bye Amber.” Suzy then opened the door and stepped inside.

 

“Bye.” Amber smiled and waved before Suzy closed the door. Amber then made her way to her car. She got in and felt her phone vibrate.

 

Can we talk? – Krystal