Chapter 14

My Everything

After the conversation with Jongin, he offered me a ride but I refused him and told him that I’m just going to walk to my home, at first he insisted that I should come with him but, I assured him that I would be fine to walk by my own. When I arrived at home, unexpectedly my parents were home. I spotted them talking to each other on the couch with coffees are served on the table. At first, I thought they were having a conversation about business matters until I saw my mom laughing about something, which make me realize that they weren’t talking about that but something else.

“Oh, Soojung.” My mom suddenly said when she saw me standing by the doorway. “Come here. We want to tell you something.”

I immediately went over to them and sat on the smaller sofa on the side. I glanced at my mom who was taking a sip from her coffee before stating, “We’re going to your father’s event tomorrow.”

“Alright.” I said, sighing. Unfortunately, tomorrow is Saturday so I don’t really have a good excuse to stay out from this event kind of thing. “I’m going to my room.” I continued and went upstairs to my room.

As I entered my room, I throwed my bag to god-knows-where and plopped myself on the queen sized bed. Today seems so dark, I thought as I heaved a sigh. I honestly didn’t even think that my father would make another event because he already have a partnership with another large company but what I thought was wrong. He’s going to make his company even larger with building another partnership.

I decided to take a relaxing shower and when I’m done, I put on a hipster sweater with sweatpants, I ponytailed my hairs. As I was dressed up, my phone on the nightstand suddenly viberated and I walked towards it. I picked up my phone and unlocked it. As I saw the caller ID, a smile crept on my face. Without hesitation, I pressed the green button lightly.

“Oppa!” I said, excitedly without even waiting for the caller to speak.

“How are you, my sissy? I miss you.” The caller was my older brother, Choi Kyungjun, who is now studying or you can say he’s now living overseas. I never talked about him, right?

“I miss you so so so so so much. How could you never called me for such a long time?!” I said, trying to sounds mad.

“I’m so sorry. I’ve been busy with collage so I didn’t have the time to call you,” Kyungjun said apologetically. “Anyway, I have a bad and good news for you. What’s first?”

“The bad one first, as usual.” I said as I make myself comfortable on my bed.

“Okay. The bad news is I don’t have a girlfriend yet.”Kyungjun said. With that, I rolled my eyes at his ridiculous ‘bad news’ and then he continued, “The good news is, I’m going to Seoul.”

When I heard that, I couldn’t feel happier. My heart could expload with happiness and my mouth could tear because I’m literally smiling from ear to ear. Knowing that my brother will finally come to Seoul again is even better than knowing that someone have a crush on me.

“Oh my gosh! I can’t wait! When?” I said, giggling. I could hear that my brother chuckled.

“I’m at the airport now.” He said. I swear, I can imagine him winking. It’s his habit whenever he teased me.

“What?!”

“I’m going to call you when I arrived, okay? I gotta go, baby girl. I love you.” He said and with that he hung up.

A smile crept on my face after hearing my brother called me ‘baby girl’ again. It is the nickname he gave me when we were a little. He used to call me that often. He didn’t call me by my name but he called me ‘baby girl’. At first, I thought it was embrassing and I wanted him to stop but ever since he left overseas, I haven’t got a chance to heard him call me ‘baby girl’ again and that makes me sad. Now, I can finally hear him calling me ‘baby girl’ again.

Thank goodness that tomorrow is Saturday. I can spend the whole day with my brother. I’m already listing up the things I should do with him tomorrow in my mind, I’m not going to let him rest for the whole day.

As I was thinking about the bucketlist of things to do with my brother tomorrow, my phone viberated again. Thinking it was from my brother, I picked up my phone in a blink of an eye.

“Hello?” I said as I pressed the green button.

“Soojung?” It’s not my brother. I know this voice. “It’s Jongin.”

“Oh, you.” I said, sounded rather disappointed. “What’s wrong?”

“I was just wondering,” He said, pausing for a few seconds before continuing, “Are you free tomorrow?”

“Uhm..I don’t think so, why?” I asked as I lie down on the bed.

“Huh? No it’s nothing. I was just going to ask you out for a lunch, that’s all.” He said, laughing awkwardly. There’s a little bit of disappointment in his laugh. Suddenly, a strike of guilty hit me.

“I’m free on Sunday, anyway.” I said, not wanting to turn him down.

“Really? Okay then,” He said, sounded a little happier than before. “Sunday, I’m going to pick you up, okay?”

“Okay. But where are we going?” I asked, curiously, eventhough I know what’s the answer.

“You’ll see.” He said. I swear, he’s smirking now.

After saying goodbyes, I hung up and put my phone on the nightstand. After a while, I drifted to dreamland.

-

When I woke up, I find my phone already viberating. I rubbed my eyes and picked up my phone from the nightstand. Lightly, I pressed the green button without seeing the caller ID.

“Hello?” I said, my voice a little bit raspy because I just woke up.

“Soojung? You sounded weird.” The caller said. I glanced at the caller ID and it said ‘My Brother’.

“I just woke up!” I said, my voice still sounded raspy.

“Okay, okay.” He said and then chuckled. “Anyway, I just arrived and I don’t know where to go now.”

“Seriously? How long you haven’t been in Seoul?”

“Uhm, let me count it, Choi Soojung,” He said with sarcasm. I know what comes next. “For about 10 years!”

Is it really? 10 years? Did he really left me for 10 years? It’s really unbelieveable that I actually haven’t meet my brother—my biological brother—in 10 years.

“Okay, where are you now?” I asked.

“Airport, duh”

“Take the taxi and said to the driver that you want to go to the Choi Sooman’s residence. They will know it right away.” I said. Everyone in the nation knows my father’s residence.

“Okay, see ya.” With that he hung up. I immediately went to the shower and showered myself with cold water. As I’m done, I put on a more appropriate clothing, a simple white sweater, black skinny jeans, and black flats.

When I came outside, as usual the maids are busy cleaning all around the mansion and some of them are preparing for breakfast. They greeted me one by one as I passed them one by one, I just merely smiled. I went downstairs and some maid told me that my parents are already gone to work as usual and I just gave them a simple nod. “Oh and, Kyungjun oppa is coming back.” I said to the maids. Their faces lighted up. I could see they were in joy. No wonder, Kyunjun oppa was really sweet and caring towards them.

“He’s going to be here anytime by now. Can you prepare breakfast for him? He must be hungry.” I said to them and they nodded excitedly. “You still remember his favorite breakfast, right?”

“Pancakes.” They answered in unison. A smile crept on my face.

As they were gone to the kitchen to make breakfast for him. Suddenly the sound of bell chimed through the whole mansion. My heart jumped in exctiement as I walked towards the front door. I took a deep breath before opening the door. My brother used to be good looking and I wonder how will he look like now. I slowly opened the door and it revealed my never-aging brother. He still looked the same as before.

I smiled as I saw him and immediately threw my arms around his shoulders. He was shocked at first and then chuckled at my action, but then he quickly hugged me back. I still haven’t release him from my hug. “Uhm, baby girl? Can I come in, now?” he said and then I realize that we were still standing by the doorway.

“Uh, yeah of course” I said and then we both chuckled. I drag him to the dining room for breakfast and saw that the maids already served the breakfast on the table.

“Pancakes! You know me so well, sissy.” Kyungjun said as the pancakes came in view. He sat down on the chair.

As I sat down, I caught the never-changing gaze in his eyes. The soft gaze that will always calmed me down. “I miss you”

“I miss you more” Kyungjun said as he took another bite from his pancakes. His love for them is still the same. I still don’t know why he can eat five piece of those in just a couple of minutes. I can barely gulp down two.

“How’s life in the States?”

“Pretty much the same. Seoul and Los Angeles is no different. Only the language is different.” He said and then I chuckled. Of course the language will be different. “How about you? Have a boyfriend already? The last time I checked, you were an item with this boy named—“ he said, recalling about my past relationship.

“Kim Myungsoo” I said, finishing his sentence.

“Oh yeah!” He said, almost to himself. “How’s that kid? Are you two still an item?”

“No.” I said, glancing down.

“Oh, no” He said in English. “I’m sorry. I don’t know. I’m so so sorry”

“No, it’s fine. It’s not like I still love him or whatsoever” I said, smiling at him. “So, what makes you finally decided to come back to Seoul, again?” I asked changing the topic.

“Dad told me there will be a special event and that I should come back for a while so that I could attend it.” He answered, taking another bite of the pancakes. “Speaking of dad, where’s mom and dad?”

“Gone to work already, as always” I said, tonelessly.

“They never changed, are they?” Kyungjun said, shaking his head. I nodded along.

“Anyway, prepare yourself.” I said, grinning at him.

“Why?”

“I’ve listed up the things I wanted to do with you for the whole day.” I said, smirking. “I pratically owns you for the whole day!” I continued, clapping excitedly.

“Oh, no.” He said in English, again.

-

After having breakfast, I let Kyungjun to rest for a while and let him to go around the house. He literally forget everything about this mansion after he left Seoul because he doesn’t even remember the bedroom he used to use. His bedroom is right next to mine, it is still looked the same, it never changes because every once a week the maids will clean it so everything still looked the same as the last time he used the bedroom. He was fascinated when he saw his bedroom still looked the same.  After the tour around his own house, he changed his clothes to a more comfortable clothes. He wore a plain white t-shirt and a grey cardigan over it. Eventhough, he’s an adult, his ‘baby-faced’ appereance make him looked like a teenager. I don’t even think people will realize that he’s actually 26-year-old.

After he’s dressed up, he pushed his hair up which makes him look even more handsome than he’s already is. I smiled at the thought of how lucky I am that I have a brother like him, a handsome and caring brother. How more lucky I can be?

“Let’s go!” I said, dragging him to the garage.

“I’m driving?” Kyungjun asked, while pointing at himself.

“I’m still a minor.” I said, pointing at myself.

I throw the keys at him and he catched it. He opened the car and we both stepped inside at the same time. “Where to?” he asked as we both settled ourselves in the car.

“Hongdae!” I said, excitedly.

“Where is that?” He asked.

I groaned in frustration. And then I just realize that he doesn’t even remember the adress of his own house.

-

When we arrived at the mall, I quickly pulled Kyungjun for a shopping massacre. While we were shopping, somehow, I felt uncomfortable with all the stares we got whenever we walked into a store from the girl servants because I know they think my brother is a hot guy and they’re completely into him, but in front of them, I acted like I’m his girlfriend so that they would leave him alone. I would only call the boy servants to ask something. Behind me I know the girl servants are talking about me but who cares?

“You bought a lot of things.” Kyungjun said, swining our shopping bags. “Do you really need all of these?”

“That’s what a girl needs.” I said, pointing at the shopping bags. He chuckled.

We’ve been spending the whole day at the mall, shopping, playing a whole bunch of games, reading some books at the book store, watching movie, and  a lot of things but I just couldn’t get enough of spending my day with my dearest brother. As we walked, I spotted a bubbletea shop.  I quickly dragged Kyungjun to the bubbletea shop. He was asking me what I was doing but as his eyes landed on the bubbletea shop, he quickly shut his mouth because he knows how much I love bubbletea.

As we ordered two bubbleteas, we got our numbers and wait for ours to be called. We both sat on the bench near the shop. As we sat, we talked about a few random things until finally our names is called. Immediately, I got up from my seat and took our bubbleteas. I handed over Kyungjun’s and quickly drinks mine.

I was drinking my bubbletea when I spotted a familiar profile standing in a clothes store—women’s clothes store—I squinted my eyes to identify the person and then when that person turned his head, I finally recognize him. Kim Jongin, I thought. I was thinking to greet him when I saw a girl appeared and stood by his side, asking him something I’m not so sure about, because there’s this wall of glass that seperate us. When he suddenly turn his head towards me, I immediately turned my head and walked straight ahead. I pulled Kyungjun with me and we go home.

When we arrived at home, unexpectedly my parents are home early. They were talking in the living room when me and Kyungjun walked in. As they spotted us, they told us to sat and talk with them. I find myself sitting beside mom while Kyungjun beside dad. We both looked at each other before Kyungjun asked what they wanted to talk about. “Tomorrow, you both must be ready by six, okay?” Mom stated, firmly.

“The event is tomorrow?” Kyungjun asked, gazing at mom.

“Yes.” Mom answered. “Didn’t your dad tell you?”

“No.” Kyungjun answered, shortly.

“Well then, for you, the event is tomorrow so you have to be ready by six.” Mom said, again, with firmness in her voice. Clearly, telling us to be ready or else there’s might something.

We both nodded and excused ourselves to go inside our rooms.

As I plopped my body on the queen sized bed, the memory of seeing Jongin with that mysterious girl crossed my mind. I tried to shook it off but it’s useless, whenever I closed my eyes, it will crossed my mind again. Recalling at how that girl excitedly shopping with him and how Jongin was smiling at her. Not to mention, the girl was beautiful. Right now, at this very moment, I couldn’t even know why I was annoyed by the fact that Jongin is dating someone now but I'm clearly annoyed right now because he dated someone now but he still asked me out on a lunch. Well, probably it’s just a friend-to-friend lunch or something but what if his ‘girl’ saw us? I mean, how will she react? I’m not going to be the ‘third person’ in someone else’s relationship.

I quickly grabbed my phone and dialed Jongin’s numbers, I want to cancelled our lunch. I was thinking what excuse I should use because everyone knows that I’m a terrible liar. I snapped my fingers as I got the best excuse, ever.  After the second ring, he picked up.

“Soojung! What’s up?” He said, sounded rather excited. He must be happy after spending time with his ‘girl’, I thought.

“I’m sorry but I can’t go on a lunch with you tomorrow.” I said, trying to sound as disappointed as possible.

“What? Why?” He said, his voice from excited turned upside down.

“I have to attend an event tomorrow. I’m sorry, I can’t.” I said. The event is a great excuse.

“An event? Which event?” He asked, curiously.

“Why do you ask, anyway?”

“Because I’m also going to an event tomorrow. Maybe we will attend the same event.” Jongin said. “Where will the event will be held?”

“The Plaza Hotel” I said, hesitantly.

“See you tomorrow, then” He said, chuckling.

With that a loud gasp escaped from my mouth. Just when I was about to ask him something, he hung up. I furrowed my eyebrows. Jongin will attend the same event? My dad’s event? Did his father build a partnership with my father?


AN: The thicked words are for the one who called Soojung.