Chapter 11

My Everything

Soojung’s POV

“Yes, she is” Jongin looked at me with a grin on his face.

“So this is why you never ever gave any attention for me?” she pointed at me, “Because of this girl?”

“Not exactly because of her” he looked at her indifferently, “It’s just that you’ve never been on my mind”

Meanwhile, I just stood there awkwardly, listening to their arguements or whatsoever. There was a strange atmosphere between them, the girl looked at Jongin with love while Jongin looked at the girl with hate. This love-hate relationship. I know this very well.

“Er, I think..” I croaked, slowly turning around to leave them alone to talk, “I think I should leave you two—“

“No, stay” Jongin snapped at me and I swiftly go back to my position earlier.

The girl shot me a glare and then she pulled herself closer to Jongin and looked at him with such a loving gaze. She looked quite sad and disappointed. “I care for you. I will do anything– everything for you.”

“Everything?” Jongin said and raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, everything” the girl said, there’s a light of hope in her eyes.

“Well then–can you do me a favor and get out from my sight forever?” Jongin said coldly, with a stern gaze. My jaw nearly dropped in shock.

The girl, looking almost rigid in shock, managed to gain back her resolve almost instantly and was trying to say something but she prevent herself from doing so. I was trying to look away but I just couldn’t help myself.

“I—“ the girl tried to say something, but instead she burst out to tears.

I was a little bit—well a lot—taken back by the situation I am in now. I wanted to do something—anything for her just to make her comforted. The look on her face was so readable, like her whole face was saying sad and hurt, oddly, I felt a raw pang in my heart, something quite familiar. The girl pressed her lips, she clenched and unclenched her fist, tears are flowing from her eyes. I’m not sure if Jongin is now even care to take a look at her because he was busy staring at the floor, seems like the floor is more interesting.

I watched her slowly turned around and walked away from us. I looked back at Jongin who was still looking at the floor as though nothing happened. As if, he didn’t just broke someone’s heart or make someone—a girl—cried in front of a girl. I felt myself boiling in frustration and anger.

How could he act this way?! I thought to myself. I clenched my fist. I took a deep breath and opened my locker and stuff my books inside.

Jongin finally gain back his senses. “Where are you going?” he asked me, as he saw me leaving.

Without looking back at him, I walked faster so that he couldn’t caught up to me. I just feel really, really frustrated and boiled up.

“Soojung!” I heard his footsteps starting to get near so I fasten my pace a little bit more. I didn’t feel like talking to him now, when I’m angry, who knew what I could possibly do?

“Hey!” Jongin finally caught up to me and spun me around.

“Why are you so angry with me?” Jongin slammed me against the locker, gazing down at me.

I squealed in pain. He sure does slam me hard against the locker.

“I’m sorry. Does it hurt so bad?” his gaze soften at me.

“It doesn’t hurt as bad as you hurt her” I said. In a split of moment, Jongin looked puzzeled.

“Hyunjoo?” he asked. “Are you talking about Hyunjoo?”

So her name is Hyunjoo. “Yes, that girl" 

“I can’t believe we’re actually arguing about her...” Jongin said, he moved away his hand from my shoulder, glancing up in the ceiling in disbelief. When he looked back at me that’s when I let it all out.

“You were so cold to her, you were so mean” I exploaded, I shot him a glare. “She said she would do everything for YOU!”

“I just don’t like her” Jongin interject. “She was acting like we’re lovers or something”

“Look” I said, my eyes still fixed on him. “Maybe you don’t like her, but do you really have to be so mean and cold to her?” Jongin fixed his gaze at me, his expression unreadable. “You know that she likes you a lot, and it’s normal for people who likes someone to care for that certain someone. And you just—you shut her out just like that.” Jongin opened his mouth to say something but I quickly cut in. “Do you have any idea...” I said, taking a deep breath and then looked straight into his eyes. “Do you have any idea how it feels when you have someone you care...and they just look at you like you were nothing and just shut you out because they couldn’t care less about you? do you know how it feels?”

“Soojung-ah...” Jongin said, his voice soft.

“I have to go” I said and walked away from him.

Wordlessly, I left the lockers area. Not taking a glance at him.

--

I spent the rest of my day focusing on my classes. Jongin called me several times, though, but I couldn’t answer it. I don’t think I can face him, just yet. I kinda feel that I’m overreacting or somewhat stupid for acting that way towards him—therefore it was none of my business whatever the situation between him and that girl, Hyunjoo. But I couldn’t help myself and somehow see myself in Hyunjoo.

And I realized, even though, I’m already over my ex-boyfriend, how he made me feel will always be a part of who I am and will always come back whenever it wants, like an old memory from the past.

“You will not believe what happened at the dance club ealier” Aerin said as the three girls sat down on my table.

“What?” I asked, glancing curiously at them. I’ve been hanging out with these girls on school for quite some time now, they’re cool girls.

“Kai almost got into a fight” Seohyun said.

“What? With who?” I frowned, suddenly became more interested in the topic.

“I’m not sure about his name” Seohyun said, “But he’s tall and well...he’s kinda good looking but can’t be compared to Kai. Honestly, he is interesting”

“I heard Kai was really in a bad mood today and he looked devastated, and that kid bothered Kai, saying a bunch of crap--” Aerin said and I frowned. “And Kai throw the first punch”

“What?! He punched him?!” I said, almost shouting

“Well—almost” Soyeon said, “Luckily Chanyeol and Baekhyun was there to stop him”

“What is he doing in the dance club, anyway?” I asked.

“That’s the thing” Aerin said, “No one knows.”

“Eye witnesses said that he was frustrated about something” Soyeon said.

I felt a pang of guilt in my heart. Am I the reason why he almost got into a fight? I was supposed to help him for the showcase but now, I just became one of the many challenges that will prevent him from successfully participate the showcase.

--

The entire time, I was contemplating if I should call Jongin. I felt like I should because after what I did back there was really stupid, knowing that he has been stressed out because of the showcase and now I even added one more problem with overreacting like that over something that is not my business.

After the class ended, I quickly went outside to look for Jongin, but he was nowhere to be found. I asked some of the students in the dance club but they said they haven’t saw him since the incident eariler.

I gave up and decided to call him later or just talk to him face to face tomorrow. I went outside the school and walked to my home. As I walked the empty street, I pulled out my phone from my skirt’s pockets. I started scrolling down, looking for Jongin’s number, just then I realized...

“I don’t have his number” I mumbled to myself. I looked up and saw my house. I mentally slapped myself. How can I don’t have his numbers?

“Soojung.” said a low, deep voice.

I turned my head to the side, beside the lamp post just across from my house, there stood Jongin. When I caught his gaze, he started towards me. He was still wearing our school uniform, but with a varsity jacket over it.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him in genuine surprise.

He sighed, before speaking. “Can we talk?” he asked.

I looked at him who is still gazing at me, waiting for my answer. “Okay” I said after pressing my lips.

Wordlessly, Jongin grabbed my wrist and led me to a park at the end of the street. Somehow, the park seems familiar to me and I remember that I’ve been here before, a lot. The park was empty, just like it always was but it brought a sweet memory. The lights from the lamp post along the pathway made it seemed like a different place.

“What are you thinking?” I heard Jongin asked. I turned to him, he was looking at me sideways.

“Nothing.” I said while smiling, “It’s just this park...has a lot of memory of me”

“This park?”

“Yeah” I said, “I used to go here with—“

“With?” Jongin asked.

“Someone” I said gazing at him and he nodded.

“Let’s sit there” Jongin said as he spotted an empty bench beside the lamp post, I nodded and followed him to the bench.

As we both sat on the bench, I realized that this bench is also familiar. I smiled at the memory but then a pang of bitterness showed up in my heart.

“Here” Jongin said and handed me a box with a ribbon on it.

“What’s this?” I said as I take the box away from his hand.

“Uh, I bought it for you” Jongin said with a shy smile. “Open it” he said.

I smiled and started to untie the ribbon. I opened the lid and saw a beautiful silver necklace in it. I gasped and took the necklace out. “It’s so pretty” I said as examine the necklace up and down.

“It’s for you” Jongin said, smiling at me tentatively.

“Really? Thank you” I said and smiled at him. There’s a moment of silence between us before Jongin speak up.

“Soojung” Jongin said after clearing his throat, making me looking at him. “About what happened this morning—“ he shuttered, taking a quick glance at me and then at his shoes. “I’m sorry”

“Is that what this is about?” I said, swinging the necklace back and forth.

Jongin smiled sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck. I examine the necklace again. “You know, I think I’m not the one who should be getting this”

“About Hyunjoo—“ Jongin said, shifting a little on his seat, “I already apologized and she said it’s fine...”

I didn’t say anything for a moment, but still gazing at him. “Promise me you would be nicer to her if you meet her by chance, yeah?” I said.

“I can not guarantee it but I’ll try.” Jongin said, gazing at me.

“So I heard what happened at the dance studio” I said, changing the topic

“Everyone heard about it” Jongin said, leaning back against the bench. “That kid get me on my nerves”

“Who is it?” I asked, leaning back against the bench.

“I heard his name is Jungshin” Jongin said, “He’s in the dance club”

“What did he said to you?” I said, crossing my arms on my chest.

“A lot of crap,” Jongin chuckled. “He was talking trash about my dad and how I can’t just suddenly participate the showcase again and that I can’t dance anymore,” He sighed heavily, “My head is really a mess recently” he said, rubbing his eyes.

I gazed at him, “Just don’t let anyone get into your head, especially someone like him”

“I know that.” Jongin said.

“But do you think what he said are true?” I fixed my gaze at him, genuinely wants to know what he’s thinking. He fixed his gaze on me and I instantly got the answer from his gaze.

“Just a few seconds ago you said you wouldn’t let anyone get into your head” I scoffed at him.

“Look, it’s not just him, okay?” Jongin snapped at me. He sighed heavily again, “The reason why I was almost got into a fight today was not just because of him, one of the reason was you and also my dad.”

“Me?” I squeaked, stunned by his confession. So it’s true that I’m one of the reason that he’s frustrated. “I’m sorry” I said, sincerely because I felt really sorry. “I was overreacting today. It’s not even my business but I acted like it was, I’m really sorry”

"It's okay, I get it" he smiled, “Anyway, do you really ever felt like what you said back there?” Jongin asked, “Did someone really shut you out?”

“Of course” I said, glancing up at the sky, I just realized that it’s already night. “That feeling was so bad. That’s why when I saw you shut that girl out just like that, I felt really angry because I’ve felt that way before.”

“I’m sorry” Jongin said, glancing at me.

I chuckled and turned at him, “It’s okay”

We both stayed silent for a moment. It was a comfortable silence. I stared at the night sky, today the sky seems so bright, the stars are shining so brigtly above us, the night breeze brushed my hair gently off my shoulder, it feels so right.

“Soojung?” someone suddenly said, with his familiar voice.

A little surprised, I looked back and saw a man standing. Apparently, Jongin also heard it and he also looked back at the man. I squinted my eyes to recognize the man, but it was no use since it was dark.

“Who are you?”I asked.

The man slowly walked to the bright side and when the light shined his face, I finally recognize him.

It was Kim Myungsoo.