Knocking on walls

Baby Steps

OMG >100 SUBS. THANK YOU. 

Also, it's pretty cool that aznphoenix95 is here. 

Chapter 10

All the built up suspense had led to what Tiffany thinks must be the most disappointingly underwhelming reunion in history.

Taeyeon was the last to arrive to their initial group meeting, causing the members to flock towards her, effectively stealing their attention away from Tiffany. Taeyeon placed a stack of files and documents on the floor and proceeded to tackle Sooyoung into a hug, tuck a loose strand of hair behind Juhyun’s ear, receive a kiss from Jessica, do a handshake/fist bump/finger snap routine with Hyoyeon, get a hug from Yuri, pinch Sunny on the cheek, squeeze Yoona’s arm and then finally, she waves at Tiffany.

A wave, and that was it.

After reliving that scene over and over and over and overanalysing the gesture, Tiffany is convinced that it was the most offensive wave she has ever received.

They are all sitting on the floor, huddled in a circle, a general buzz and excitement filling the air. Everyone is taking in Taeyeon’s words with the amount of attention and anticipation that is similar to children on their first day of school.

Tiffany is strategically sitting directly opposite of Taeyeon, obviously failing to find a position comfortable enough. She crosses her legs, uncrosses them, brings her knees to her chest, kneels, unfolds her legs, and ultimately crosses her legs again.

“I’ve triple checked all your personal itineraries and along with the managers, we have come up with a group schedules that isn’t perfect, but…”

Taeyeon mostly looks at her notes while skilfully spinning her pen, though her voice exudes enough authority and confidence to hold everyone’s attention. Their eyes never meet and Tiffany starts to think that it’s intentional.

Taeyeon’s hair is tied up in a messy ponytail, her face with minimal makeup on, her eyes glazed with intense determination. She looks as if she had been up all night, probably to prepare for today’s meeting. Despite her slightly dishevelled and tired appearance, there was something inherently captivating about this new Taeyeon.

“…and recordings are mostly done solo. The blue coloured columns are events that clash with some members’ personal activities but they are less important hence optional for those members, such as dance rehearsals and interviews. The ones highlighted in red are important events where more than 2 members have clashing individual activities. So we have to decide if we want to cancel that event, or rearrange our individual schedules. Also...”

“Wait, what?”

Taeyeon looks up from her binder with her brows furrowed, unappreciative of the interruption.

“Just kidding. Slow down. If you speak any faster, you’ll choke on your words you dork! We’re not going anywhere.” Hyoyeon winks at Taeyeon and Taeyeon’s expression immediately softens, forming a weary smile.  

Seohyun uses this short break to flip the pages in Taeyeon’s binder, looking impressed, then gradually intimidated by all the effort Taeyeon has put in.

“Unnie, how long did you take to prepare this?” she asks meekly, placing a hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

“Forever,” Sunny scoffs. “She was quite obsessed. She probably has all your schedules memorised by now. Taengoo, what is Fany doing this Thursday afternoon?”

Taeyeon’s body stiffens at the mention of Tiffany’s name and instinctively catches her equally disconcerted gaze. Tiffany watches Taeyeon struggle to find her words – first she purses her lips and frowns slightly, then she opens as if to speak, but ends up closing it again after letting out a shallow breath, and Tiffany doubts it’s purely because Taeyeon can’t remember her personal schedule. 

“She has a Skype meeting with a few designers, then lunch with the managers running BLANC & ECLARE in Seoul, along with Jessica.” Taeyeon blurts out seconds too late, the members already eyeing them warily and somewhat knowingly.

“Since you know my itinerary so well, could you schedule in a date for both of us?” Tiffany decides to use this situation to her advantage and Taeyeon’s eyes widen in response.  She then chuckles in amusement and Tiffany remembers to breathe as the air of hostility subsides.

“I’m…” Taeyeon hesitates, glancing across the circle of members. “I’m really happy that we’re all here together,” she exhales sharply, avoiding eye contact with everyone. “Making our 10th anniversary album won’t be easy. Your schedules with be mental, worse than anything we’ve been through, so I won’t hold it against any of you if you decide to drop out. But you have to decide soon. I’ve taken the liberty to specifically ask for an amendment in the new contract.”

Taeyeon opens another file and passes an envelope to each member with their names scribbled at the front. Tiffany notices a tiny heart replacing the dot above the “i” in her name and all she wants to do is cross the distance between them and give Taeyeon a hug.  

But she doesn’t.

As much as she tries to make their relationship fall back into place, Tiffany currently isn’t sure where her place lies in Taeyeon’s life. Taeyeon has thrived with Tiffany’s absence and she desperately wants to stop taking it all so damn personally.

She can’t pretend that it doesn’t hurt.

“Not to pressure any of you,” Taeyeon drawls with a self-satisfied smirk. “But we legally won’t be able to produce, promote, or release this album if we don’t have all nine members.”

__________________________________________________________________________________

“How did you forgive me?”

Their meeting had adjourned moments ago and they are both left alone in a private room with a table much too big for the both of them.

“Which time?” Jessica puts down the dessert menu that was covering her face and Tiffany realises that Jessica is genuinely confused by the question. Tiffany wonders if this is a reflection of Jessica’s character or hers.

“The time when I wasn’t completely appalled by the idea of Girls’ Generation continuing as 8 members. If Taeyeon had listened to me then, Girls’ Generation wouldn’t have broken up and this album would have probably happened without you.” Tiffany’s brazenly ventures this sore topic, eyes already glistening with tears threatening to fall. 

“Don’t do this to yourself.”

“What?”

Jessica’s eyes are soft and sympathetic, and Tiffany is tired of constantly feeling like the worst person in the room.

 “The self-blame. You are a wonderful human being who has been there for me this past decade. Everyone loves you to death, Steph. Your mistakes are honestly insignificant relative to your merit.” Jessica replies while brushing Tiffany’s tears away with both her thumbs. 

“I love you more,” Tiffany smiles through her tears and breaks into a light chortle. “Seriously though, how did you forgive me then? Or any of us.”

Jessica rolls her eyes, exhibiting reluctance towards the emotional turn this conversation is taking. “I can’t blame any act done out of love,” she explains nonchalantly, as if it was the easiest decision she’s ever made.

Tiffany frowns and Jessica starts to comprehend the hidden reason behind her question. Jessica can be quite oblivious when it came to these things.

“Taeyeon loves you. Even if she doesn’t forgive you, she loves you. If anything, hold onto that,” Jessica sighs. “She asked me to check up on you in LA, you know. That’s how I found your miserable self wasting away at some fair.” 

“Really?” Tiffany’s eyes light up, almost childlike.

“Remember how she gave me the cold shoulder for the longest time?” Jessica massages her temples, exhausted by the memory alone. “Trust me, you have it so much easier.”

__________________________________________________________________________________

Tiffany visits Yoona on set with a bouquet of pink roses and a box of macaroons. She meticulously greets each of the staff members before pulling Yoona away to speak in private.

“You,” she flicks Yoona gently on the nose. “Why are you taking so long?”

“Not again,” Yoona rolls her eyes and tilts her head backwards, letting out a light laugh.

Tiffany raises an eyebrow. “Are we talking about the same thing? Did someone else smack you in the head today for being the last to sign the new contract? You’re worrying me!”

Yoona had this playful glint in her eye, which both reassured and scared Tiffany at the same time. “Yah!” she pokes Tiffany’s left cheek. “You’re not suppose to bully anyone into signing this contract. Taeyeon unnie made it very clear the other day. One phone call from me and you’ll have to deal with our leader.” Yoona holds up her phone menacingly.

Tiffany raises both her hands and takes a few steps backwards.

“You win. What do you want?”

Yoona brings her thumb to her lips, pretending to be deep in thought.

“I want you to try harder.”

“You want me to beg?”

“A little grovelling would be nice, but this is a separate matter. I want you to try harder to be best friends with Taeyeon unnie again.” Yoona flashes a wide grin, and Tiffany can’t help but mirror her.

“I try pretty hard.” Tiffany shrugs.

“Flirting and texting do not count,” Yoona shakes her head, her lips curling to form a childish pout. “Stop being such a coward. If it were two years ago, you wouldn’t take any of this nonsense. You’d do whatever it takes. You don’t knock on her walls, Tiffany unnie, you break and smash them down.”

Tiffany finds herself speechless, as she often does lately when people remind her about how much better she used to be. She smiles, and subtly changes the topic.

“You haven’t told me why you haven’t signed the contract.”

Yoona takes in a deep breath, as if preparing herself to say something she’ll probably regret.

“I signed it the day I received it. I didn’t hand it in just in case someone else wanted to drop out. I didn’t want that person to carry that kind of burden alone, especially if it’s you or Sica unnie.”

Tiffany feels her heart swell and she mouths the words “I love you” before hugging Yoona tightly. She didn’t think it was possible, but Yoona is much more beautiful inside than out.