Bestfriend's confession

FATE

You walked into the harmonious chatty room of HKCA. You put on a fake smile greeting some people you knew. You wanted to put everything that happened yesterday behind. You wanted to begin a new chapter of you life problem and worry free. But in fact you couldn’t. Because you had just locked eyes with Jackson who was sitting by himself by the corner of the room. He smiled and nodded at you. You did the same back to him. Although he didn’t seem like his usual cheery self - probably because of yesterday - he still looked so cute. He was wearing baggy jeans rolled up just past the ankles with tan coloured lace up boots and a semi-oversized black tee. The rays of sunshine that shone through the window contoured his face perfectly.

 

You had the urge to talk to him but you didn’t think that would be a good idea. While you were contemplating whether to walk up to Jackson or not, Hana walked up to you to say hi.

 

“Hey Miya”

“Hey”

“I have a favour to ask you”

 

Why is everyone asking me for favours these days…?

 

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“Since you rejected Jackson a few days ago, I was wondering…” she softened her voice and looked at the ground, “do you think you could introduce me to Jackson?”

“I thought you guys knew each other already..”

“Yes I know but I want to know him more than a friend… if you know what I mean.”

“Oh.”

“Seeing as you broke up with Wes and rejected Jackson on the same night, I didn’t think you’d want to rush into another relationship so quickly..”

 

Little does she know that I was started to develop feelings for Jackson…

 

You didn’t want the same situation happening with Hana as it did with Heyi and Wes. You learnt that losing a best friend that you cherished so much for love wasn’t really worth it. You didn’t want to be so blinded by love for the second time, hurting the people around you.

 

“Yeah sure,” you said trying to sound like you were okay with it.

“Thank you so much!!” she said as she draws you in for a tight hug.

 

Hana enthusiastically linked arms with you and pulled you towards Jackson.

 

You awkwardly greeted him with a simple “Hi.”

He looked up at you with his empty eyes and said “Hi.”

Hana who pretended as if she knew nothing, says “I was thinking maybe we should do something over the weekend or maybe even today after uni?”

You try to ignore the awkward tension in the air by saying “Yeah, I think it would be nice to go watch a movie or something.”

“Um.. yeah cool…” Jackson replied without making any eye contact with you.

“So how about tonight? We’ll meet right here at 5-ish?” Hana chirped.

“Sure”

“I have to go to class now so I’ll see you soon,” Hana said as she waved goodbye to Jackson.

 

She seemed to be over the moon that she was finally making progress with Jackson.

 

Just as you were about to turn around and walk away since you too, had a lecture to go to, Jackson grabbed you by the wrist. You turned around slowly, not daring to look at his face. Your eyes fixed on his hand that was gripped tightly around your wrist.

 

“You promised we’d still be friends…” he whispered in a voice that sounded like it would break into tears any moment.

“It’s a lot more complicated than you think, Jackson…” you said with your head still down.

 

You brushed his hand off your wrist and walked away.

 

Because this involves more people than you think. Not just us. Because it just had to be me.

 

***

 

After your lecture, you really couldn’t be bothered watching the movie. You felt emotionally and physically tired. All energy was drained from you. You didn’t want to cope with your feelings nor did you want to concern yourself Hana’s feelings, Jackson’s feelings or really anyone else’s. All you wanted was to be alone. You wished you could shut yourself down like a computer and stop all the thinking that was buzzing around your head. You decided to text Hana saying that you couldn’t make it because your parents wanted you home. This would be a good chance for Jackson to get to know Hana anyways.

 

 

Jackson POV

 

I waited in front the HKCA room for Miya and Hana. I wasn’t too keen on this movie session but since Miya suggested it, I thought it would be very cowardly of me to decline. I was waiting with a patient heart, when I heard footsteps bouncing towards me. I looked up and saw Hana, holding her backpack like a kindergarten and skipping towards me with joyous grin.

 

“Hey Jackson. Miya’s not here yet?”

 

Just as she said that, her phone buzzed.

 

“Oh, Miya won’t be coming today. Her parents want her home,” she said with a small pout which was quickly recovered by a cheerful smile, “I guess it’s just the two of us then!”

 

Before I could say anything or even have enough time to allow the situation to settle in, Hana bombarded me with question after question as she dragged me towards the exit of the building.

 

“What movie do you want to watch? What genres do you prefer? Comedy? Romance? Action? Horror? Sci-fi?”

“I.. I don’t really mind,” I replied half-heartedly.

 

My heart nor mind wasn’t concerned about the movie I was about to watch. Instead continual doubts swirled around my head.

 

Why did suddenly back out of it? Did her parents really want her home? Is she avoiding me?

 

***

 

I sat awkwardly next to Hana while we waited for the movie to start. Unanswered questions still flooded my mind. Even though Hana kept making small talk, my mind wondered elsewhere, unable to concentrate on the conversations.

 

“Jacksonnn ~ Do you like it here?” she said as she scooted over closer to me.

“Ah uni? Yes..”

“Are there any other places you want to go? I’d be happy to show you around,” she said as she rested her chin in her hand, staring up at me with a suggestive smile. 

“Ah no. Not really..” I said leaning back away from her.

“Miya’s probably going to be very busy for while.”

 

This was the first time in the whole night she had mentioned Miya’s name. It  suddenly got me interested.

 

“Why?”

“Well you know she’s probably doing on dates with her boyfriend.”

 

I felt my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach along with a clenching feeling that made me feel sick.

 

“She’s probably with Wes today,” she said but quickly covered with both of her hands as if she’d let a secret slip.

 

I didn’t want to progress any further on this matter anymore so I diverted my attention to the movie that was about to start any second.