Heartbreak

FATE

You woke up the next day, to find your phone on the bed side table.

 

“You’re awake. How are you feeling?” the nurse asked.

“Good thank you,” you replied while rubbing your eyes, “the phone…”

“Your parents left it there yesterday when they dropped of some clothes for you.”

“Ohh okay,” you nodded.

 

You picked it up and turned it on. The screen read 28 messages, 10 missed calls. You opened your messages and scrolled through the list. Hana, Tiffany, Aron, Amber, Rita, Joon, Woohyun, Sehun etc. But none of these names were the one you were looking for. You moved onto the missed calls. Once again Jackson’s name wasn’t on the list. All calls were from work and several acquaintances. You ignored them once again and scrolled to Jackson’s name. You looked at his name for a few seconds. Your heart told you to call him now but your brain stopped you. Your finger halted just a few millimetres away from the screen. You closed your eyes and pressed dial. You quickly held the phone to your ear.

 

Please pick up. Please pick up.

 

Ring. Ring. Ring. “The number you have dialled is no longer available. Please try again.”

 

For a moment the world stopped spinning. You were in denial. Jackson wouldn’t do this to me. Your  phone slipped out of your hands and smashed onto the floor. But you didn’t hear any sounds at all. Your world had stopped too. Your stared aimless into the distance, not blinking at all. You felt as if your heart had been ripped out. Although it hurt so much that words could not even explain the pain that you felt, no tears fell from your eyes. The nurse rushed to you upon hearing the loud clash.

 

“Miya are you okay? Are you feeling unwell?”

 

You didn’t answer her and continued staring into the distance blankly. The nurse rushed off to call the doctor whilst bumping into the Hana who just walked into the room. She picked up the phone that had cracked into pieces on the floor. As she sat down on a chair, she carefully assembled the phone back together. She handed it to you and you took it out of her hands without looking at her, nodding slightly to thank her.

 

“Actually, Miya I came here to tell you something.”

 

You gave her no response.

 

She grabbed your arm and shook it slightly, “Miya, I need you to listen to me. It’s very important.”

 

You looked down at your phone and traced the multiple cracks on your screen.

 

“Ugh, I’m going to tell you anyway even if you’re going to continue to ignore me. I promised Jackson I would tell you as soon as you woke up.”

 

Your heart skipped a beat as you heard Jackson’s name. Hana sure had your attention now but you continued to look at your phone.

 

“That day, you got into the car accident at the basketball courts…”

 

You couldn’t really remember ‘that day’ very well. All you remembered was lying on the ground in immense pain and seeing Jackson’s face before your eyes closed.

 

“I was there too. I saw you get into the accident. I saw everything.”

 

You looked up at her in disbelief. Your eyes searched for answers. She was there? Why didn’t I see her? Why didn’t she help defend me when Heyi hurt me? Why didn’t she pull me away from the car? Maybe she was too far away to help me, you reasoned.

 

“Because I was the one who was driving the car.”

 

Your eyes widened in shock. You were speechless. A stabbing pain went straight through your heart. Your best friend just admitted to hitting you with a car. You didn’t know what to do or say. Hana kept her head down in silence, waiting for you to say something. But honestly… you didn’t want to say anything at all. What were you supposed to do? Yell at her? Hit her? You couldn’t get yourself to do those things. After a short silence, Hana looked up at you with puppy eyes. The puppy eyes quickly turned into a smirk.

 

“Well you deserved it. You knew that I liked Jackson and yet? You go out with him behind my back.”

 

Your were horrified. How could someone change so suddenly…

 

“Remember that day during class you got a text and you said it was you mum. Well, I saw that it was Jackson asking to meet up with you. You didn’t even reject him and then you lied to me. You betrayed me first! So then I decided to follow you. I gave you one more chance, if you had walked away from him I wouldn’t forgiven you but you didn’t do that. You KISSED him! I actually enjoyed your little fight with Heyi. It was a privilege to watch. But I guess some things need to be done by myself since some people don’t learn their lesson.”

 

You looked at her in disgust. Tears that held in for so long started falling down your face. Not a single millisecond of sympathy crossed Hana’s face. You ripped out your IV drip and pushed past her and ran out the door.

 

Tears continued to cascade down your face as you used your arm to brush them away. You entered the lift and went to the highest level, the rooftop. You sat down at the edge of the ledge. Today was the worst day in your entire life. Two of your closest friends left you. You may as well just died in the accident so you didn’t have to go through this.

 

You looked at the phone that was still in your hand. You turned it on to see if it was still working. Surprising, the phone just fine despite the partly cracked screen. You subconsciously dialled Jackson’s number even though you knew the number was terminated.

 

Ring. Ring. Ring. “The number you have dialled is no longer available. Please try again.”

 

“Jackson… I went through a lot today. It’s been over just 24 hours since I woke up and my life has been turned upside down. You had left and then Hana told me she was the one in the car. What am I supposed to do? I don’t know how to stay strong anymore. I don’t know how to act like I’m okay when I’m not. Even though you will never hear this, I just wanted to let you know that I love you.”

 

You hung up and placed the phone next to me. Your sweaty hands gripped the side of the ledge. You closed my eyes and took a deep breath. You were about to drop from the building when -

 

“STOP!! Don’t jump off.”

 

You paused and turned your head around. It was your administering doctor.

 

“Why would you care anyway? You don't know what I’ve been through!” you yelled back at him.

“Okay then, let me tell you a story. I’m sure you have at least a minute to hear me out,” he said as he took a few cautious steps towards me but keeping a safe distance.

 

“I had a patient once. She got into a terrible car accident with injuries all over her body including her brain. She had internal bleeding. We had to conduct surgery to remove it immediately even though her condition wasn’t stable. The surgery took over 4 hours to complete with many obstacles during that time. Even though the surgery was considered successful she was in a coma for many many days. Our medical team didn’t think she would wake up. But her family and boyfriend visited everyday, giving her strength and hope. And you know what? She woke up one day perfectly fine, just as if she had a very long sleep. This patient is you.”

“Me?”

“Yes it is you. I did not save you just so you could die all over again! When you were in a coma, your condition wasn’t stable at all. There were times when you lost your heart beat, and I had to do immediate CPR otherwise you wouldn't be here. I tried so hard to save you because I was inspired by your family and boyfriend. I knew how important you were to them. Please don’t leave them like this,” he pleaded as he took more steps towards me.

“It doesn’t matter anymore. I’m not important to them anymore.”

 

He grabbed my shoulders so that I couldn’t move.

 

“Never underestimate how much someone loves you.”

“My so-called boyfriend left me while I was in a coma so that he could go to Korea. It was my best friend that ran me over with a car.

 

He cringed.

 

“But you still have your family. It’s not fair to them if you just leave without an explanation. It’ll hurt them as much as how much you were hurt today. If you love your boyfriend that much and think he’s worth it, then go to Korea. Go after him. It’s not like he left the world, he’s still here. And your friend.. well, let’s just say you learnt a very dangerous yet miraculous lesson which showed her true colours. You can always make new friends.”

 

You smiled as you felt a whole new world open up. You took the doctor’s hand as he helped you back onto the ground.

 

When you arrived back at your room, you saw your parents sitting by your bed worried sick.

 

“H..hi mum and dad.”

 

They turned around, relieved that you were safe.

 

“Don’t run away like that anymore,” your mum scolded.

 

You nodded shamefully.

 

The doctor interrupted by saying, “All tests show that Miya is fine and healthy. She is ready to be discharged. All she needs to lots of care and rest at home.”

 

Your parents smiled with glee, thanking the doctor for his hard work.

 

“Thank you so much, doctor,” your dad said as he shook hands with the doctor.

 

You gave a thankful smile to the doctor before he walked out of the room.

 

A/N: Sorry this chapter is little dramatic and sort of unrealistic :/ But that's what ff are, right! I feel like this ff is so inconsistent lols. Anywayyys I don't know why I wrote it so that Miya hates Jackson for leaving her coz Jackson was all like she'll support me right? Miss Miya being all drama queen LOLS I don't understand me :| (no I'm not being a hypocrite by hating on my characters coz I made them up) I'm just bored... procrastinating... I have an assessment tmr D: lols sorry don't hate me and continue to support this ff :) x