Regret

The Outcast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way."

-Henry David Thoreau

     Bom just finished her class schedule, she was free the next period. She walked to a average department store just a few blocks away from Juliard. Scanning through the items, admiring the things she knows she cannot afford. One product caught her attention, it was a book, shes always been intrested in books, fiction, comedy, romance, anything. This wasnt any ordinary book, it was a novel called 'The Kite Runner'. Published in 2003, it wasnt that famous but it was popular to her, nowadays, its quite hard to get.

     Bom took out her wallet in an instant to check her cash. "2...4..." she counted, but she couldnt find anymore, she looked through her pockets and her bag in a rush, hoping for more money to come. "Dammit." she thought, knowing she had no more money for that book.

     She looked to the left, to the right, in front, behind and saw that noone was looking. She hid the book, taking off the scanning label and carefully slipping the book inside her bag as she kept looking around. She didnt do much but she did sweat, she wiped the sweat off her forehead and started making her way for the exit.

     Just as she was so close, merely 2 inches away, someone held onto her shoulder from behind. She turned around and saw a man who happened to be her parole officer. "Mrs.Park, how have you been?" he smiled, trying to be friendly.

     "Great, thanks." turned back right around and tried to make a mistake but he held onto her shoulder again.

     "Got into any trouble lately?" he circled her, putting his hands behind his back.

     "No." Bom tried to look as normal as she could.

     "Really? Just by looking from a distance, I saw you admiring a book that you didnt put back." 

     "You must have me mistaken for someone else." she avoided eye contact.

     "I saw your face very clearly."

     "Well I did put it back, okay?" she whined.

     "You wouldnt mind me checking your bag...right?" 

      The two were having a starring contest, waiting to know who will crack first.

     "Fine, I'll put it back." she groaned.

     "Well you cant..." 

     "Why not?!" she hissed. Her parole officer pointed down to the floor, she looked and noticed she passed the line which counted as stealing. "You couldn't of caught me before?!" 

     "Im sorry, but in my defense, you were walking pretty fast." he stated. "Now, Jenny, you're going to have to pay double for that."

     Her eyes widened. "Double?! I can barely pay the original price!"

     "Then I have no choice but to cuff you." he got out his handcuffs and cuffed her hands together from the back, he slid his hands inside of Boms bag to get the book and hand it back to the cashier worker.

     Bom felt embarrassed at how people starred and walked passed, she knew that they were mentally judging her.

     "Thank you..." Mr Park nervously shook Boms Parole officers hand in a fast motion. "Thank you Steve..." he repeated. "You dont know how grateful we are that you gave her another chance."

     "Yea..." Steve held his hand back away from Mr.Park and wiped his hand against his own body to take the sweat off. "Its okay, but next time, she's going to Jail." he explained with no pity.

     "Of course, Of course." Mrs.Park muttered under her breath. "Would you like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter