14. Purpose

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Fourteen

~ Purpose ~

 

“Goddess Azrin?” Ahra asked.

“But not everyone who attempts crossing it dies.” Ren ignored her question. “Few, very few, manage to cross it and stay alive. You’re one of them.”

“You mean the captain an the others,” she swallowed. “They’re dead.”

“Yes,” he responded without any emotion. “They’re dead.”

She chewed on her lower lip, mulling over the fact that some of the nicest people she met are dead. They’re dead and she’s still alive.

“Don’t feel bad, Ahra.” Ren sighed. “Humans will all die eventually. It’s just a matter of time. Those men were destined to die at that time. You weren’t.”

She didn’t reply. The feeling of guilt still ate at her. They died because the King of Virgula asked them to cross her to the Lacrimae Ocean. They died in aiding her mission.

“And they were successful in their aid. You’ve crossed to the Lacrimae Ocean.” Ren replied to her thoughts. “They died for it, yes. But they will be rewarded handsomely for helping you try and fulfill this mission.”

“My mission,” she said bitterly, “The mission you gave. And who’s going to reward them? You? Of course, it’s you.”

“Ahra,” Ren started to say. He wanted her to calm down.

“Don’t Ahra me!” she snapped. “You’re controlling me like I’m a pawn in your game! And you’re controlling others as well, killing them off once they’ve done their purpose! What makes you think you could play us like that? What makes you think you could act like a god?”

Ren was silent for a few seconds. Then he stood up, unfurling his wings. “I am a god.” And he was gone.

~~~

Tao had decided to come with Lay to Guarire. There’s nothing in Volta anymore, but painful memories and a bad reputation that precedes his name. It’s better to start anew. Lay had offered him that start. So now, the two were on a boat, with Lay trying to teach Tao how to catch fishes.

“You’ve got to throw your net like this.” Lay demonstrated once again.

“This?” Tao tried to copy again, but failed.

Lay slumped to the boat’s ledge dramatically. “By goddess, you’re worst than children. How do you mess up throwing a net?”

He lets go of the net, sitting down beside Lay. “I hate catching fishes.”

“You’ve got to learn if you want to live in Guarire.” Lay said.

“Aren’t there any other jobs here?” he asked.

“There are, but you earn mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter