18. To Safety

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a double update. Please read the previous chapter first!

 

Chapter Eighteen

~ To Safety ~

 

It was a boring day yet again in Fuoco. For Kai, that is. The Guardian had already left to go perform his duties at the temple, leaving him alone with nothing to do. Kai wouldn’t admit to it but he and Chanyeol have formed a friendship while they were together. He still didn’t know why the Guardian is letting him stay in this house instead of throwing him into a cell, but he was grateful for it.

Flipping through a book of Fuocan prayers and ceremonies, he stifled a yawn. Then the front door slammed open, making him jump in surprise. The Guardian wasn’t supposed to come back until later.

“Why are you here so early?” he asked.

Chanyeol acted as if he didn’t hear his question. “You have to go to Volta.”

“What? Why?” he said incredulously. He was just thinking of how grateful he was a minute ago. And now the Guardian was throwing him out?

“The Chiaron soldiers are coming.” Chanyeol hastily told him. “They don’t usually come this early, but they’re coming. And you need to go to Volta.”

“Why can’t I just go back to Nebbia?” he demanded.

Chanyeol shook his head, walking towards his room. “Someone ratted you out. The general already knows your name and have already announced that you’re a criminal in Encis. You’ll be safer in Lamina.”

Kai was stunned into silence. He’s a criminal. A criminal just because he had managed to escape from the general. He stood up from where he was sitting to follow the Guardian into his room.

“If you can, try to teleport to cover the distance of the Rock Forest. We can’t have you dying in that place.” Chanyeol got a couple of clothing change and put it in a rucksack.

“Why? Why can’t I die?” He questioned in a tight voice.

“Our magic,” Chanyeol answered, handing him the rucksack. “It has a purpose. You can’t die yet without fulfilling that purpose.”

That, and the fact that he’s too young to die now. He swallowed the bile rising in his throat. He closed his fingers on the sack’s strings and nodded. No dying.

~~~

Fuoco was everything he remembered it to be — hot and dusty. But after his stay in Nebbia, where rocks are everywhere and where the air blowing in from Gelo is really cold, it was a welcome feeling. He could almost say that being here brings him peace that his home city couldn’t give him. Maybe it’s because this is where he did little of his crimes. Fuoco is a peaceful city, there’s no one to subdue for the King.

“General Byun,” he heard the familiar voice of the Head Guardian.

He looked down from atop his horse. He and his men had halted their cavalry in front of the Guardian Quarter, waiting for the Head. “Guardian Naima, I hope we’re not disturbing you.”

“Not at all, General.” The Head grinned. “But I won’t be the one to accompany you to the temples.”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at that.

“What do you think about having our Temple Guardian guide you there?” the Head asked with a cheery disposition.

“I don’t mind.” He really didn’t.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter