20. Future

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Twenty

~ Future ~

 

A ship came to Guarire, disguised as one carrying imports from Cyphus. In reality, on board were people who escaped from the said city. Lay knew this because this is not the first time a ship like that came. He and Tao watched as it anchored itself meters away from the shore.

“What’s happening?” Tao questioned quietly since it’s his first time to see a ship like that. Actually, it’s his first time to see a ship, period.

It was already nearing twilight, and they were done with catching fish. Lay turned back to tying their boat, tiny in comparison to the ship, on the shore. As he did that, he replied to Tao, “Cyphians escaping their King.”

The cat-eyed man removed his attention from the ship to help him. But Tao couldn’t help but ask, “Why would they escape from him?”

“There are some rumors that the royal family ruling over Cyphus are imprisoning people who are accused of having magic.” He answered, finally done with the boat. Standing up, he brushed away the sand that clung to his clothes.

Tao looked up at him with shock. “They believe in magic?”

“If they’re doing that, then I think they do. They aren’t just being public with it.” He motioned for Tao to get up.

“And the people who’ve escaped, they’ll stay here in Guarire?” Tao continued his interrogation as he got on his feet.

“Not only in Guarire. Some will go to Volta, others to Bufera or Suolo.” He bent down to pick up the nets. “Generally, they’ll stay here in Lamina.”

Tao nodded, understanding. “It’s because we aren’t as strict as Encis, and we’re also not as cruel as Cyphus.”

“But our kingdom has its own share of flaws.” He said with a slight frown on his face. Because of the less than strict ruling, Lamina is becoming a refuge. Lamina may be big but with all the Cyphians and Encians moving in from their kingdoms, the land is becoming too small.

“Hey, I know you’ve seen this a number of times already, but I want to watch.” Tao got a hold of him before he starts walking away. “Let’s stay for a while.”

And they did. Lay couldn’t say no to the man. Tao was like a child. Probably because he haven’t seen the world as whole, having been stuck in a struggle for the first part of his life. Lay doesn’t want to stop him from rediscovering the world now that he’s free from that struggle.

A rope ladder was dropped from the top of the ship. One by one, people of different ages were using that to get off. It was a time consuming process done silently. By the time the ladder was pulled up, the sun had fully set and the people from the ship had already made their way to the shore. They paid no heed to the two fishermen. Hopelessness permeated the air around them.

“Let’s go,” Lay said quietly. Tao gave a nod, following him as he started walking.

U

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter