35. Reaction

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Thirty Five

~ Reaction ~

 

He had been back to his duties as Temple Guardian for days now, but his mind was not focused. His men had noticed it and had asked if he was alright, but he waved them off. He had no answer to give them then, and he still has no answers now. Park Chanyeol was confused. He blames the Encian General for that.

It was already suspicious when General Byun and his soldiers had went to Fuoco earlier than usual. Doubly so when the King had sent for them to return right away. Then, a day after, the Encian soldiers had gone, ships full of prisoners arrived from Cyphus. That was followed by King Baesan’s order that Encis would not allow anyone from Lamina to enter. It was all connected, Chanyeol knew it. But even as he stare at his room’s ceiling, waiting for the time he has to report to the Quarter and trying to search for answers from the wood above him, he still did not know what to do with the knowledge.

He believes it all started with the General’s arrival. That event triggered everything. It could have also started when Kai appeared suddenly in one of the temples of Fuoco. But that too was caused by the General who tried capturing Kai. Chanyeol was convinced that, either way, it started with the puzzling Byun Baekhyun. Maybe he was a bit biased against the General, but he can’t be blamed since their last conversation was still grating at him.

“How come someone like you, someone so dark be blessed with the power over light?” he asked quietly, but he was sure the General had heard because the latter’s body stilled.

Baekhyun gave him a blank look. “I don’t know what you are talking about, Guardian.”

“I know you know what I’m talking about, General. You have magic ov-” he was cut off by Baekhyun’s hand covering his mouth before he could finish his statement.

“You don’t go off saying that word so loudly.” Baekhyun hissed. “You don’t know who’s listening, Park Chanyeol.”

He removed the General’s hand from his face. “Control, then. You can control light.”

There was fire in Baekhyun’s eyes, different from melancholic look he had during the past few days. “If you know what’s good for you, you will shut your mouth, Temple Guardian. I have no idea what power or control you’re trying to speak of. But one more word about it, I will kill you the way I have killed many others who do not know their place. Speak of it to others, and your blood will spill and stain the sands of Fuoco.”

Baekhyun had not given him a chance to react to those threats. The General had briskly made his way to the Quarter after he spat those chilling words at Chanyeol. It had made the latter angry, both at Beakhyun and at himself. What kind of response had he expected when he confronted the feral Encian General about something that will have both of them killed?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter