22. Prayer

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Twenty Two

~ Prayer ~

 

It was everyday that he visits the temple, offering his prayers. And everyday, it was Park Chanyeol who accompanies him. Today was no different from the first, except they are walking instead of riding towards their destination. Only their footfalls breaking the silence since both of them are quiet by nature. But the silence was making him uncomfortable today. Him, the general who have been known for killing the King’s and his enemies without noise.

Baekhyun couldn’t stop himself from speaking anymore. “Do you hate me, Guardian Park?”

Chanyeol looked up from the ground with a startle. “No, general.” A clipped answer with no sincerity,

What did he expect? Anyone who knows his title hates him. That doesn’t surprise him even a little. But there’s something with Fuoco now that makes him melancholic since the day he arrived. He questions that hate, questions his past actions, questions himself. And he has yet to find answers inside him. Maybe that’s why he turns to this silent Guardian.

“Then why do your actions contradict your words?” he spoke again.

Chanyeol didn’t reply. He just looked at him with expressionless eyes.

“So you lied.” The general shrugged. “Don’t worry, I won’t hold it against you. I would be a hypocrite if I do.”

“So, you’re a liar, General Byun?” Chanyeol finally asked.

“Who isn’t?” he smirked a little. “I suspect that even beings like the goddess are liars.”

The Temple Guardian gave a nod, getting his point.

“But I’m probably one of those who lie most of the time.” He stated offhandedly before halting his steps. They were already in front of the temple of Azrin.

“I’ll wait here, general.” Chanyeol said in farewell for he will be inside the temple for two hours at most.

Baekhyun entered. The fragrance of incense hit him immediately, becoming gradually intense as he made his way towards the prayer room. Upon reaching it, he slowly pushed the big doors open. This time, the smell of flowers overpowered the incense. There’s no trace of flowers in the room. It was odd, but he never spoke about it.

The statue of Azrin was at the other side of the doors, with her black hair flowing up to her waist and a pet snake by her feet.There was a mat in front the statue. It was where Baekhyun would spent his time praying. For what, he doesn’t really know. Or maybe he does, he just doesn’t want to admit it.

He knelt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter