28. Almost

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Twenty Eight

~ Almost ~

 

Ahra dodged people as she walked through the market streets of Volta. Doing this made her miss the market in Virgula. Even if the market in Volta is as noisy and crowded — if not more — as the one back home, it isn’t the same. The place, the smell, the sounds and the people are different. But she had expected it to be different so she casted away her homesick feelings and continued on her search for something to waste gold on.

Suho had given her a few gold before he went back to sleep after their breakfast. He said they were for her clothing, but she wasn’t about to use them for petty things. She was fine with what the clothes she brought from Umido. What she needed to buy were weapons… which she wouldn’t be finding in these open stalls. With a sigh, she approached one of the stalls that wasn’t swarming with customers.

“Excuse me,” she called the vendor’s attention.

The aging man turned from preparing his goods with an annoyed look on his face. “What do you want?”

Rude, she thought. “Do you know any stores that sell swords and knives here?”

He eyed her with suspicion. “What would a girl like you do with swords and knives?”

“I don’t know.” She blinked innocently. “Maybe comb my hair?”

He harrumphed and went back to displaying swaths of cloth in his stall. Ahra rolled her eyes.

“Look, sir,” she started again. “If you would kindly just point out the direction where I could find a sto-”

“There,” the man cut her off, pointing to an alley. “Now, leave me be.”

She muttered a ‘thank you’ and headed to the alley near the stall. There were a few people going into and out of the alleyway. A few stores with vague names were there. Where would she find an armory here?

She slowly walked to each store, squinting at their name plates and trying to figure if they’re selling what she wish they’re selling. As she does that, she thought of the her last conversation with Ren where he had told her she was also a host. It was something she couldn’t imagine ever being. She knew she was different — as King Laurence’s grandniece, Mira, have always enjoyed reminding her when they were children — but host-to-some-part-of-the-goddess’-power different? Surely, Ren must have been mistaken, even if he is an all-knowing god.

The store door by her right banged open, startling her. It would’ve hit her if she hadn’t jump to the opposite direction right away. The boy who opened the door looked at her with wide eyes.

“I’m so sorry, lady!” he started apologizing. “I didn’t know someone was outside.”

“It’s alright.” Ahra assured him. “I wasn’t hurt.”

“I shouldn’t have slammed it open. I’m so sorry!” the boy continued, grabbing at the edge of her shirt and making her want to step away from him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter