childlike innocence

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

Yongguk patted the floor beside him and beckoned for Junhong to sit by his side. He felt a sudden unexplainable need to know more about this boy. It was a weird feeling but he couldn't help it. He just hoped Junhong wouldn't be taken aback by his rather abrupt actions. Junhong didn't seem to be fazed though and sat himself down comfortably beside Yongguk, looking up questioningly. 

Yongguk couldn't hold back a chuckle as he looked at Junhong's queer expectant look, "How old are you? You don't seem to be very old at all." Junhong grinned and said with a slightly puffed out chest,"I'm 13 years old this year. I became a trainee when I was 10 but I've still got a long way to go before I'm considered good enough to debut." Junhong's eyes seemed to flicker with a little emotion before he cleared it away and put a smile back on his face. Yongguk had expected his age but hadn't expected him to have been a trainee for three years. His face must have given off a surprised expression for Junhong spoke up again, "I was too young before so when I auditioned for different companies I got rejected but now that I'm finally a trainee I'm going to make sure I don't lose my spot." 

Yongguk felt a slight tweak of guilt within him as he remembered the negative thoughts and feeling he had harboured earlier on. Junhong was so young and had gone through more than him but yet he was still strong and resilient. Yongguk grinned, he liked the boy's passion and personality. He laughed,"You make me feel like a weak old man with all that passion and determination you got. Don't you find it hard? I mean I'm finding it tough and I've only been at this for what... about 2 years?" Junhong lowered his gaze to the ground and kept silent for a long while. The silence was starting to feel a little overwhelming for Yongguk and it made Yongguk anxious and fretful. Had he said something wrong?

Just when he was about to apologize, Junhong whispered,"Of course it is hard, I feel what you feel too Yongguk Hyung. I'm still so young and unprepared and day after day I see people getting striked off the list and I'm so afraid that one day it will be me with my name crossed over in red. I know I'm still young but I want this so bad. There are so many things that I have to give up on the way though. The aspect of school life and meeting with friends is something I have to give up. My house is in Mokpo, which is far away, so I have to take a round trip to Seoul every time. I've got little time for my family and for myself. I'm tired and lonely and sometimes afraid. But in order to achieve my dreams, I think of this as inevitable. So to answer your question, yes it is hard." Junhong looked like a vulnerable lost child in Yongguk's eyes as he watched as his lips quivered and his eyes glazing over slightly. He hadn't meant to come across such a sensitive topic and felt sorry for having made Junhong so upset. 

Squeezing Junhong's arm he flashed a smile and said,"Hey it's alright, a trainee's life isn't the best but just wait till we get on stage and show everyone what we've got. You are going to make it there alright, Junhong, so don't you dare give up or I'm going to hunt you down and call you an idiot. I'm fighting this battle here too, right by your side, or maybe just a little behind you since I joined in this battle later than the brave Junhong. So you better run along and make sure you give me a hard time trying to catch up okay?" 

Junhong looked up with glistening eyes and nodded his head vigorously, letting out spurts of laughter which caused his eyes to crinkle in amusement. Yongguk felt at peace, listening and taking in the tinkling laughter that bounced off the walls of the room. He nodded his head, glad that he had made Junhong smile again.