lost and lonely

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

After the trainee presentation that went well, much better than expected actually for Junghong, things were pretty much smooth sailing for him and Yongguk. They stayed safe on the list, trainings went on as usual. Yongguk and Junhong would occasionally meet during their training sessions and nothing big had happened. That was until Yongguk found Junhong sitting alone in a hallway one day. 

Yongguk was rushing home because practice had ended really late and his trainer had been relentless despite the fact that it was long past the time training should have ended. He huffed in frustration, worried that he would miss the last bus back home if he didn't hurry. In his hurry though, he almost missed the figure crouched at the corner of the hallway. Thankfully, he didn't as he slowed his frantic footsteps and looked closely at the person through squinted eyes. The hallway was dimmed, most trainees and trainers had already left, but Yongguk immediately recognized the person as Junhong. 

"Junhong what are you doing here? You alright?" Yongguk asked carefully. Junhong seemed to be very upset and Yongguk was worried. It was also late already and Junhong still had a long ride home. He crouched down beside Junhong and waited patiently for him to speak his mind, he didn't want to rush him even though he was worried about how Junhong would get home so late at night. 

Junhong knew it was Yongguk even though he still had his head buried into his knees. The erratic thumping of his heart had immediately calmed a little once he heard that familiar deep voice but he needed a while longer to be ready to speak. Finally, he lifted his tear streaked face to look at Yongguk who had settled himself comfortably beside him. Realizing how ridiculous and weak he must have looked, Junhong quickly wiped away the remaining tears with the back of his hand and sniffled. A squeeze on the shoulder from Yongguk gave him the bit of encouragement he needed to speak.

Breathing in deeply, he whispered in a slightly cracked voice,"I miss home so much. I thought I'd be fine but it's so hard." Yongguk nodded his head reassuringly, waiting for him to continue as he tried to choose the right words to phrase his sentences. He continued,"You know how I used to live in Mokpo? My parents were worried about my long travelling hours and how I spent too much time on the roads so they wanted to move closer to Seoul. I thought that would be a great idea but it turns out they couldn't afford for all of us to move so I was to come with my mom only. It's painful to know that I'm the one who's breaking my own family apart. I don't want this hyung... I don't want any of this. It was hard enough at first only seeing them before going to school and and a few moments before we all had to go to bed. Now..."

Junhong choked on his words and was forced to pause for a moment as he tried to catch his breath. It pained Yongguk so much to see the tears flowing down Junhong's pale face. He looked closely at Junhong for the first time and realized how thin he had grown, the once chubby rosy cheeks were nowhere to be seen. He saw the eyebags that had darkened from the first time he had seen him in that studio. It wasn't fair he thought. Why did Junhong have to go through so much when he himself was doing fine. He wanted so much to take that burden off Junhong's frail young shoulders but he couldn't, so he chose instead to be the boulder Junhong could lean on if he were to ever feel tired or fall. Squeezing Junhong's hand gently, he urged him to let it all out.

"I feel like a total burden right now. I wish they would just stay put. I don't want them to be separated just because of me. I don't mind the long hours on the rode, it's fine. I just want my family. I don't want to go home and find only my mom there." Junhong sniffled, calming down a little. Yongguk looked Junhong in the eye and said, "Choi Junhong, don't ever think you are a burden to anyone because you are not. Your family has made this decision and it is not your fault, alright. They just want the best for you because they love you so they won't ever blame you. It might be hard but remember? This is a battle you're in, together with me, all the other trainees. You've got to let go of things sometimes if you want to be that strong warrior you know you can be. Do it for your family, do it for yourself Junghong ah, I know you can. I'll be here beside you so if it ever gets too hard you can always come to me."

Junhong looked at Yongguk with glistening eyes and after a while he nodded resolutely. Yongguk smiled in relief, glad that Junhong was alright now. He stretched his arms out and gave Junhong a tight hug, ruffling his hair affectionately as Junhong buried his head into his shoulder, sniffling like a kid with a bruised knee. After a while, Junhong lifted his head and whispered a sheepish thanks to Yongguk,"Thanks hyung for being here for me again. I probably would have cried myself to sleep here if you hadn't came along. Sticking his tongue out embarrassedly at Yongguk, Yongguk only chuckled in reply,"We should go now though, your mom is probably going to be really worried about where you are so late at night." 

Nodding, Junhong stood up and followed Yongguk into the dark night. They walked side by side all the way to the bus stop, footsteps in time.