long way from home

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

Junhong seemed to have vanished into thin air the next few days. Yongguk had been keeping an eye out for him around the company, wanting to see how he had been getting along but to no avail. The next time he saw Junhong though was on his way to the training centre, early in the morning. 

Yongguk yawned widely as he stepped onto the bus, but the chilly cold air that whipped at his fatigued body made him clamp his mouth tight after, teeth chattering. He wrapped his jacket tighter around his body as he scanned the bus for a seat that he would very gladly take. Fortunately for him there was an empty seat at the rear of the bus. Sniffling, Yongguk shuffled over to the seat slowly, cursing his luck for having gotten onto such a cold bus. Before he sat down though, the face of the person occupying the seat next to him took him by surprise. There was no doubt that it was Junhong, albeit an asleep Junhong.

Junhong had his two arms crossed over his chest loosely, backpack on his lap tucked under his arms. His eyelashes fluttered for a moment and his head lolled around with each jerk that the bus made. Left, right, left, right. Yongguk found this mildly amusing and slightly cute. He snickered silently as he slid himself into his seat gently. Junhong seemed to be so deep in sleep and Yongguk had no intentions of waking him but he noticed that Junhong was shivering ever so slightly and on a closer look, his teeth were chattering as bad as Yongguk's. Yongguk's brows furrowed instantly when he realised Junhong was only wearing a t shirt and Bermudas. Furrowing his eyebrows, he worried about Junhong catching a cold.

He wasn't sure when he had started to feel like this but he had an urge to protect Junhong. Taking of his jacket, he tucked it gently around Junhong, careful not to awake him. Looking at Junhong wrapped up snugly in his cocoon of a jacket, he gave a satisfied nod. Shutting his eyes, he decided to take a short nap too.

"Hyung... Hyung what are you doing here?" Junhong tapped on Yongguk's arm gently. Yongguk let out a soft groan and rubbed his bleary eyes. It took him a while longer to realise where his was before he felt a cold gush of air rush past him. Junhong couldn't help but laugh a little at the sight of Yongguk's lost expression before repeating his question. "Oh I boarded the bus and saw you sleeping here. You take this bus too?" Yongguk croaked in his raspy voice. Junhong nodded, then he picked up Yongguk's jacket and looked up at Yongguk questioningly. "That's mine yeah, you looked really cold just now so I decided to be your knight in shining armor and lent you my jacket," Yongguk joked. Junhong grinned cheekily as he passed the jacket over to Yongguk, "Thank you a lot knight in shining armor but you seem to need your jacket more than I do now." Yongguk was lost again for a moment before realizing how cold he actually was. Sheepishly he took his jacket back and slipped it on again once more before the both of them stood up to alight the bus.

As they made their way towards the building, Yongguk realised something and asked Junhong,"How long do you take to get here? Isn't it at least a 2 hour plus ride from mokpo?" Junhong nodded his head and pursed his lips,"It's really burdensome to take public transport everyday for such long hours but I guess it's worth it because I'm doing this purely out of my passion for music. It's not that bad though, occasionally I'll find people to talk to on the bus or I'll use the time to finish up my homework or take a nap like just now. I was really daunted by the traveling to and for before but nowadays I've learnt to take it in my stride." Yongguk felt ashamed for feeling tired just because of his daily one and a half hour bus trips to and fro the training center. How could a boy so young be so brave and willing to sacrifice for his passion and dreams? This made Yongguk see Junhong in a different light and in his heart Junhong had earned himself much respect.

The pair walked on in a comfortable silence, both with their own thoughts.