put to the test

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

Junhong believes it when they say that time flies past quickly because it was already the day which he had to present his skills before an audience and it would be a lie to say that he felt perfectly fine. He felt less than fine to be honest as he sat at the side of the studio, going over the lyrics of his rap again and again. There were so many things that could go wrong, so many chances of him getting striked off the list.

"Confidence remember? Always be confident in front of an audience okay Junhong? You will do fine, hwaiting," Yongguk smiled his trademark gummy smile and gave a thumbs up. Junhong looked to his hyung sitting beside him, took a deep breath and smiled. It's alright he told himself. He thought back to the sessions where Yongguk had offered to help him and how he had managed to finally get all the words out with the precision and flow needed in the rap with Yongguk's advice and encouragement. With the thought that he had done it before and could do it again, Junhong felt much better than before.

"Choi Junhong you are up next, please prepare and start whenever you are ready," Junhong's trainer announced. Yongguk met eyes with Junhong for the last time and gave him a reassuring nod. He was sure Junhong would do well, even more so if he would put aside his fears and worries for a moment and perform with just his passion and love for music. Junhong seemed to have understood what he was hoping for with that last glance as he walked to the centre of the studio confidently, head held high. The beat started to play and it sounded louder than normal in Junhong's ears. It was slightly intimidating but Junhong was determined not to let it show. He took a deep breath and thought about all the things Yongguk had told him before. He let out a small smile.

Yongguk knew that Junhong had started off well once he saw the trainers slightly moving their body's to the beat the moment Junhong had started to rap. It was a good sign and soon Yongguk found himself doing the same. He was so happy that Junhong had learnt to let go of his self imposed restrictions and just rap freely. He could see in the eyes of most, if not all, the people present that they were genuinely enjoying Junhong's rap. Junhong felt euphoric too. It was the first time that he had felt himself entirely and fully immersing himself into his rap and connecting with the audience. It was something that Yongguk had taught him to do and he was so thankful for his hyung.

For the first time in his entire training period and all the trainee presentations he had struggled through, he had received only positive feedback and comments. He couldn't wish for more and knew that it was all thanks to Yongguk. As he stood before the various trainers and listened to their remarks, his heart was thudding so hard and despite it being a ridiculous thought, some part of him felt like the entire room could sense his adrenaline rush, the gush of feelings that came as an aftermath of the performance. But at the back of his mind, he only had one thought. Yongguk hyung, the one who had helped him so much, more than a normal friend or hyung would be willing to do.

Every single time Junhong had to do these presentations in the past, he never did it with that ease he had in him today. It always felt suffocating with all that attention focused on him and the silence was always hard to break. Everything would sound louder, everything would go faster, and he didn't feel like he was in control of the performance. This time though, everything was different because of Yongguk. He never had anyone to rely on before Yongguk came about, sure he had a few friends like Jongup but they weren't always there for him to rely on. They had enough on their plate and couldn't help him much. Yongguk was different though, he had his own work, his own burdens, but Junhong took on some of his burdens too. Even though they were just exchanging their burdens and still carrying the same weight, but knowing that they had each other to rely on made things so much easier. Yongguk hadn't needed to come earlier to the studio and stay late those nights to help Junhong with his rap, but he did.

As he returned to his seat beside Yongguk, he couldn't help but give Yongguk a quick side hug,"Thank you so so much Hyung, I wouldn't have been able to do this without you." It was only after he hugged Yongguk that he realised he may have made Yongguk uncomfortable but that worry was lost after Yongguk smiled. Yongguk felt pleasantly surprised by the gesture and smiled warmly back at Junhong,"You did well Princess warrior." He pat his head jokingly but this time Junhong didn't retort and instead let his eyes crinkle as he grinned happily. 

Settling back down, the two of them sat side by side as they watched all the other trainee presentations in a comfortable silence. All the rest of the performances couldn't seem to catch Yongguk's attention for very long though. In Yongguk's eyes, Junhong was the best out all of them. Maybe he was being totally biased, but Yongguk didn't really care. Junhong was Junhong, his Princess warrior. Yongguk felt a warm fuzzy feeling in his chest as he watched Junhong, still lost in his own world of happiness.