new identities

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

The six members sat in a circle on the floor in the dance studio. Yawns and sighs were passed around like a contagious effect. Daehyun and Youngjae were slumped against each other, backs pressed together. Jongup had his eyes closed as his head dangled dangerously near Himchan's shoulder until Himchan gently placed his head to rest on the crook of his shoulder. Yongguk sat with his legs crossed, Junhong leaning his head on his lap. Least to say, this position had Yongguk squirming on the insides, but he didn't show it. There were more important things at hand.

"Yongguk Hyung do we really need stage names? I can't seem to think of anything to represent myself better than just my own name," Daehyun exclaimed exasperatedly. He nudged Youngjae and he too grunted in approval at the idea. Yongguk sighed deeply as he pondered over the idea of all six of them not having stage names. He finally spoke up,"Well I don't know. We don't have much say on this really. The company's giving us a chance to choose what we want first but at the end of the day it's going to go their way. But I guess we could introduce the idea of sticking to just our names.

Himchan nodded his head gently, careful not to let Jongup's head fall. He said quietly, "I actually want to show myself to everyone as just, you know, Himchan. Kim Himchan. I want to be remembered as me, not as a character I have to play." Jongup moved groggily from his slumped position and spoke up,"Yeah I agree with Channie Hyung. I want to remember myself as me, not just show people that I am me. I don't want to be and I don't want us to be so affected by fame or money in the future that we forget who we truly are." The other members couldn't help but chuckle lightly at Jongup's sudden confession but agreed with his point.

Junhong, still leaning against Yongguk, started to fidget a little. Yongguk furrowed his brows and asked gently,"You okay Junhong ah?" Junhong looked up at Yongguk and all of a sudden started to tear. Yongguk was taken aback and pulled Junhong into a tight hug. "Whats wrong Junhong ah, are you not feeling well?" Junhong was silent for a while, with occasional sniffles filling the tensed silence as the other members watched on in concern. Honestly, they were all shocked. They had been perfectly fine discussing, albeit a little tired and restless. The sudden bout of tears from their maknae left them speechless and at a loss of what to do.

They had never seen the younger break down like that, other than the last time he got upset because of Yongguk. He was always a strong and resilient maknae in their eyes. He was the youngest, but he never let his age affect him. He worked the hardest, dancing on even when the rest stopped for a moment to take a break. He never complained about how tough things were, never said anything when he was tired. So they all took him to be unbreakable, always strong. But Yongguk knew that wasn't the case, he knew the story of the Junhong before. He understood that most of the time it was just a strong front, that on the inside he still wanted to cry and whine. Yongguk's heart clenched as listened to Junhong's silent sniffles, hand rubbing gentle circles up and down his back.

Junhong murmured into the folds of Yongguk's sweater,"I'm sorry, I'm being stupid again. I just... I just felt sad all of a sudden. I want us to stay this way, even after we debut. I'm afraid of the future, I don't know. Just promise that all of you will stay the same, that we will always be family?" Junhong peeked his head out and looked at everyone earnestly, eyes red rimmed and glistening. Himchan was the first to rush over, pinching Junhong's cheeks and yelling,"You'll be our baby forever okay!" Daehyun and Youngjae came next, sandwiching Yongguk and Junhong between them as Daehyun cried,"Of course, don't be silly. We are going to be family no matter what." Youngjae nodded furiously in agreement,"A real family, not the kind only for show." With that Himchan and Jongup joined in the huddle, as Junhong laughed, voice still a little hoarse.

Yongguk, squashed amongst everyone, smiled genuinely as he watched the face by his side glow with happiness. The crinkles of his eyes as they formed the little crescents got him chuckling at the sight. He was glad Junhong was alright, it pained him to see him hurt. He didn't deserve to feel bad or sad, he was too much of an angel.