tired souls

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

It had been three quarters of a year since Yongguk and Junhong first met. Honestly, it had been slightly awkward at first with the wide and the lack of understanding of one another. But they had progressed by leaps and bounds and now were known as the inseparable pair by many other trainees. Behind their backs, people had been shipping the two of them because honestly who wouldn't? They fitted so well together, like two puzzle pieces clicking into place. Call it cliche, but that was how it was for them. Their reliance on one another had grown so strong others thought they may have been connected at the hip and would probably tumble and fall without the other there to hold each other steady. 

Yongguk and Junhong danced in the room filled with bass and beats, adrenaline rushing and pulse racing. Sweat sodden articles of clothing clung to their tense muscles and their faces were red and sweaty. Their bodies were sore, aching and screaming for rest. But they didn't stop. Eyeing each other in the mirror, the two grinned at almost the same time, as if they had a sort of mental telephathy that only they had. Left foot, right arm, swing to the front, step back. In time and in sync, they finished the final chorus of the song and the final section of the dance. Panting heavily the two of them collapsed to the ground beside one another immediately, fatigued.

They had been repeatedly dancing the same choreography, the same routine over and over again. It was tedious undoubtedly and the song was so ingrained in their minds that even when it stopped midway they would know what beat followed right after. Their actions had been sloppy and uncoordinated at the beginning of the day, unsightly and definitely not anywhere near being up to par. Three and a half hours later, though extremely worn out and near the brink of fainting from the exhaustion, their movements were sharp, crisp and absolutely in sync. It was worth the pain they felt, no pain no gain they always promised each other. They kept one another going, even when they were both tired and ready to drop. But as long as they didn't stop, neither to them would. They always watched one another from the corners of their eyes watching for signs of tiredness and exhaustion but if they didn't need to, they wouldn't stop.

The wooden floor felt hard on their backs as their bodies lay flat against it and didn't give them any comfort they might have been wishing for after the long hours of dance. Though it was digging painfully into their bones, they didn't complain. They lay in silence for a while, the quiet whirring of the fan reaching their ears as they let their bodies rest for awhile. Their muscles felt like they were on fire and it was unpleasant. They looked at each other and laughed, giving each other the I know how you feel look. Things were always easier when the two of them did it together, it was far more enjoyable too. It felt less like a training session and more of a time to express and share emotions. Juhong always looked forward to the days where Yongguk had the same training schedules as him and Yongguk was no different. The atmosphere was always lighter and more carefree when the two of them were together.

Yongguk groaned as he pushed himself off the floor slowly, his bones seemed to be creaking with every move he made. He could feel the muscle ache starting to set in already. The next day was always the worst, dancing with a muscle ache wasn't much fun, really. Junhong looked at him and stretched his hand out to him with a cheeky grin. Yongguk sighed, then chuckled. He could never say no to Junhong so even though his body was already protesting, he still grabbed Junhong's hand and pulled him up. "Oof! Ouch muscles. Thanks Gukkie Hyung," Junhong snickered. They walked to their bags and grabbed their water bottles. Uncapping them, they gulped down the water thirstily and it was that kind of moment where water tasted just so good and soon both their bottles were completely empty. Plonking himself down on the wooden bench by the side of the room, Yongguk rested his head against the cool glass surface of the mirror. Junhong followed suit but instead comfortably rested his head against Yongguk's strong broad shoulders that he had become so accustomed to leaning against. 

"You okay Junhong? I feel like dying right now, my muscles are crying,"Yongguk joked. Junhong laughed, leaning even more into Yongguk. "It's alright grandpa! Even the young fit and healthy me is dying so you shouldn't feel too bad about it. Yongguk smiled affectionately at Junhong,"Hey I'm pretty fit okay, when are you planning to drop that name." Junhong smiled calmly, "Never, not until you deem yourself a young hot hunk. But I doubt it, it seems highly improbable." Yongguk glared at Junhong through the mirror but Junhong wasn't fazed, instead he slid himself into a more comfortable position, leaning his head on Yongguk's lap. "I'm tired Gukkie Hyung," he said as he closed his eyes for a moment. For a moment Yongguk thinks he hears a glimpse of something in Junhong's voice, something sad and defeated. 

Squeezing Junhong's shoulders gently, Yongguk said,"Junhong ah it's alright, it's always been okay. Hang on a little longer, believe in yourself because I'm believing in you. I'm sure we'll make some progress, even if it might take a little longer than we would like it to. But just think of that moment where we'll get to stand on stage, when all our efforts will pay off." He meant what he said and he himself believed that one day the two of them would fulfil their dreams and hopes. 

Junhong smiled, his eyes still closed,"Alright Gukkie Hyung, as long as you stay by my side."