in the training room

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

Yongguk blew his nose into a tissue for the nth time that day. Feeling drowsy, he slowly made his way to the practice room with a cup of warm tea in his hand. His body hadn't been very obedient and he was put through much unpleasant symptoms of a cold. He must have gotten a cold from the bus trip that day, the irony because he had tried to ensure that Junhong did not catch a cold but his plan had backfired. He could only blame himself for being a weak old grandpa.

He pushed the door to the training room open and heard the voices of the other trainees in the room. Stumbling towards the nearest chair in the room, he plopped himself down and let out a sigh. His head felt stuffy like someone had filled it with cotton wool and he couldn't get it out. Shaking his head, he tried to get rid of the feeling. While doing so, someone tapped him on his shoulder. Looking up, he was greeted with Junhong's smiling face,"Hey Yongguk Hyung are you training here too today? Oh wait are you... sick?" He seemed to be pondering about something before exclaiming,"Oh no! Is it because you lent me your jacket that day on the bus? I'm so sorry. You shouldn't have done that. I'll make sure I bring my own the next time. Do you need me to help you with anything?"

Junhong was babbling uncontrollably like a child caught red handed in a mischievous act and Yongguk couldn't help but smile in amusement, causing him to look like a slightly dorky Rudolph with his very red nose. Seeing that, Junhong stopped his babbling for a moment. Laughing, Yongguk said,"Hey hey hey, cam down okay. It's alright, the old grandpa has just caught a normal cold. I'm not dying or anything, but yeah you should bring your jacket along. I won't always be there to save you, princess. Hearing the embarrassing nickname given to him, Junhong flushed red and retorted,"At least I'm a healthy strong princess unlike you Hyung. You are totally like a grandpa." Snorting in disbelievement, Yongguk wagged his finger at Junhong, only getting a stuck out tongue at him in reply. He was about to say something when another trainee walked over.

The trainee was a rather short and slightly stocky teenage boy who awkwardly introduced himself to Yongguk as Jongup. After greeting Yongguk politely, he turned to talk to Junhong, saying something along the lines of him having to leave earlier today and for Junhong to not forget about the presentation each of them would have to do the following week. Waving goodbye, Jongup left the room, leaving Junhong and Yongguk alone once again. Yongguk noticed though that Junhong's expression had turned slightly troubled.

"What's wrong?" Yongguk asked, concerned. Junhong forced a weak smile and said,"Well you know those monthly presentations we have to do infront of the trainers and the other trainees?" Junhong didn't wait for a reply before he continued, "Mine is next week and I'm kind of worried. I'm not sure if what I have prepared will be good enough, especially because there are so many pairs of eyes that will be judging me. I probably sound stupid now but I'm scared that I will get cut off the list." Yongguk chuckled and surprised Junhong with his reply,"So I guess I'm an idiot too? Junhong ah it's perfectly normal to be afraid of things like this. Even as a grandpa with much life experience, I'm always afraid of those presentations too. How about you show me what you've got? Maybe I'll help you with my great and mighty wisdom." Junhong keeled over in laughter. Yongguk always seemed to be able to cheer him up when he felt down and he certainly was very greatful for having such a great hyung. He nodded his head earnestly as he took out his phone and searched for the music he had prepared. 

Yongguk thought it felt like déjà vu as he watched Junhong bop his head to the beat, albeit this time sitting on the ground next to him. Clearing his throat, Junhong started the rap he had prepared with a slightly cautious feel, slowly though he felt the music and lost that initial hesitation. Occasionally, he would trip over words that he felt were a little too big and difficult to pronounce, but that didn't stop him from going with the flow. Yongguk was impressed by Junhong who had once again pleasantly surprised him with his raw talent. Although he had a few trips and falls here and there, he had that charisma and emotion that would grasp all the attention he needed. In Junhong, Yongguk saw potential and as he noticed their surroundings, it seemed a lot quieter as trainees around were starting to quiten down to listen to Junhong rap. Smiling, Yongguk watched Junhong with pride in his eyes.

At the end of his short performance, Junhong waited nervously for Yongguk's reaction. Yongguk smiled and gave him a round of applause just like he had done before the previous time. "You shouldn't even be worried you know, you're doing great, I'm being totally honest here. You've just got to keep the confidence going, it has to be there right from the start. Just try to go through some of the harder parts of the rap and you'll be doing great, believe me you will be one of the greatest survivors in this battle we are in." Junhong could only nod his head gleefully.

He didn't know why but this compliment from Yongguk made him feel happier than all the times before that he had received praise from his trainers.