that special trainee

Hopes, Dreams and Maybe Love

Training: Day 749 

Yongguk dragged himself towards the training room with a heavy heart. It wasn't like him to have such a pessimistic outlook in life but today he couldn't help the frown creeping up his face where his usual gummy grin resided. He was well known to be the smiling, angel like trainee and he usually was like that but he didn't feel like his positive cheery self all of a sudden.

He was one of the eldest trainees in the company and he had watched as all the other younger trainees blossomed and grew or withered and died off. One by one they were marked off as either a "prospect" or "someone to let off the list". Yongguk hadn't been placed under either groupings and he was thankful that he still had the chance to continue training but the wait was making him weary. He wasn't as young as he was, once upon a time, he probably only had a little more time before he would be deemed as too old to debut. Sometimes silence is a good thing, other times it is suffocating. He wishes someone would say something about him, at least give him a clue about where his path was winding towards. He used to be happy with the sole fact that he hadn't been dropped off and told himself that the wait would be worth it. But the wait was weighing him down and he wasn't sure how much longer he had before he would give in to the weight.

He walked with dragging footsteps, eyes listlessly staring at the ground till he reached the door of the training room. It was left slightly ajar and the faint sound of hip hop music reached Yongguk's ear. Yongguk looked up in surprise, he hadn't been expecting anyone else to be sharing the studio with him today. He slowly pushed the door open slightly, peeking his head in. A slightly chubby boy with a black cap pushed low down his face, donned in a white tee and black track pants, stood in the middle of the studio. Looking into the mirror, he bobbed his head to the beat of the music. Yongguk kept his silence, momentarily attracted to this boy who was exuding this innocent kid aura. He had judged him too quickly though and so was slightly taken aback by what he saw next.

The boy started to execute a pop and lock routine and there was something special about the way he danced. Maybe it was the way the moves rolled of him with such ease or maybe it was the powerful and crisp movements he made. Yongguk couldn't place his finger on it but he was sure as hell that this boy was one good dancer. It took a few moments more before Yongguk belatedly realised that it was an on the spot impromptu dance from the way the boy hesitated at moments with slightly furrowed brows before continuing on with his previous confidence. That only made Yongguk's jaw go even more slack from the awe he felt. He hadn't expected such a performance from the boy who looked like a kid that was barely over a 160cm.

He finally pushed the door open and clapped for the boy, applauding him as he walked in. The boy was alarmed at the sudden intrusion and froze mid-dance. He quickly recovered and ran over to stop the music. The sudden silence made the atmosphere a little too quiet and a slight bit awkward but the boy quickly greeted, "Hello Yongguk Hyung! Sorry I didn't know you were going to use the studio? I'll leave now." Yongguk hadn't had the intention of chasing the boy away and so he quickly said, "Hey you don't need to leave, you can stay. I was watching you dance and honestly you blew me away. I hadn't expected you to give off such a performance, really. I've seen so many other trainees before but you've beat lots of them hands down, what's your name?"

The boy had a look of surprise on his face that slowly turned into a slightly bashful grin, "I'm Junhong, Choi Junhong. Thanks... Thanks a lot for that compliment. But I've still got loads to improve on, I don't think I can ever be the best if I choose this career though, there will always be people fighting for that number one spot and even if it's been clinched by someone, the next person will probably snatch it away quickly."

Yongguk hadn't expected that coming from him, but as he looked at Junhong and saw his eyebrows that were starting to furrow in thought, he realised that Junhong was somehow different from the other trainees he had met before.