Chapter 29

House of EXO (Edited Version)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ten brothers ran after Jongdae immediately. “Jongdae, wait!” Thanks for Kris and Chanyeol long legs, they were able to catch Jongdae from running more far away.

“Jongdae, what happened?” Everyone was shocked to see the tears streaming down from Jongdae eyes.

“Jongdae, it’s okay. You can always go for another audition.” Kris immediately pulled the younger into his embrace but pushed away harshly. “Jongdae?”

Jongdae didn’t say anything as he broke down in tears in front of his brothers. The ten of them just exchanged worried looks before Luhan squatted down beside the younger. “It’s okay, Jongdae. It’s okay. Like Kris said, there will still many auditions you can join in the future.” Luhan put his hand on the younger shoulder to comfort him.

Instead of replying, Jongdae just shook his head badly while still in tears.

“What is it Jongdae?” Luhan asked the younger softly.

Jongdae finally looked up to his brothers as he said out in his hoarse voice. “I can’t sing.”

His statement definitely made the ten brothers of him shocked to the fullest, but they tried the best to calm down. Luhan was the first one who reacted first, “You’re just nervous, Jongdae.”

“No, I wasn’t.” Jongdae shouted back at Luhan. “I can’t sing. My voice just won’t come out. I won’t be able to sing anymore.” Jongdae broke down even more. It really broke the hearts of his brothers to see him like that.

“That’s ridiculous, Jongdae. You worry too much.” Joon Myeon scolded his dongsaeng. “Maybe you overused your voice when you kept practicing non-stop for the whole week.”

“Joon Myeon hyung is right. Don’t be that pessimist, ok?” Luhan moved himself to hug the younger boy.

“Why don’t we go check with the doctor for assurance so you won’t think about nonsense anymore, ok?” Joon Myeon comforted the younger boy who just nodded his head. Jongdae was too tired to think of anything else. He trusts his hyungs. He’s sure that his hyungs would only wanted the best for him.

 

It turned out the doctor suggested that Jongdae did the X-ray and some check up for accurate result. Joon Myeon, Luhan, and Sehun were the ones accompanying the poor Jongdae to wait for the result from the doctor.

“What if I won’t be able to sing anymore? Singing is my whole life, my dream. If I couldn’t sing anymore, I...” Jongdae has started to worry himself in with his mind of many worst possibilities.

“Jongdae, stop it.” Luhan scolded the younger softly. He was nervous himself of the result, but he didn’t want to show it. He needed to be calm for his worried dongsaeng. “That’s nonsense thought. Of course you will still be able to sing.”

“Luhan hyung is right. You need to stay positive no matter what the result would be.” Joon Myeon said to the younger.

“Hyung, don’t be sad first. You’ll find out that you were just worrying for nothing in matter of minutes later.” Sehun tried to joke with his hyung to lighten up the mood. “Come on, you are next hyung.” Sehun noticed the nurse who came out to call for ‘Kim Jongdae’ name.

The three brothers entered the doctor room with Jongdae. “Doctor, what happened with my voice?” Jongdae bombarded the doctor with the question right away.

The doctor looked at the boy with apologetic look on his face before he said out, “Vocal cord paralysis. It’s what happened to you.” The doctor sighed before he continued, “From the result showing, one side of your vocal cords doesn’t show any movement at all. You’re lucky you come to us and find out sooner. If both vocal cords are paralyzed and kept remained in the closed position, there could be big problem, even for breathing would be very difficult.”

Hearing the doctor shocked answer, the four boys were shocked. None expected it turned out worse than they imagined.

“Then what can we do to heal it, doctor?” Luhan was the first one who snapped back from the shock as he asked the doctor hopefully.

“In some cases, the voice returns on its own within a year. But most of cases would require surgery to restore their voice and many need voice therapy as well. With proper treatment, most patients with one sided vocal cold paralysis will regain good vocal and quality.”

No words of the doctor explanation entered Jongdae mind. “Will I be able to sing again, doctor?” that’s the only thing that occupied his mind. He j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter