✎Lesson 8: The Same Moon

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎

 "So, tell me about it." I slid in the seat infront of Mika and looked at her expectantly.

"Tell you what?" She ate a forkful of salad.

"Yesterday. Math club. Test. Audition." I gave the keywords.

"Oh. That." She shrugged. "I didn't finish the test."

"You didn't finish? Why? How? You submitted your paper incomplete?"

"No. I got excused." She munched on her apple.

"Excused?" I laughed. "You did something again, didn't you?"

"Math club is just too nerdy and quiet. I need something alive. Something energetic!" She said dramatically.

"Then join the drama club."

"Uh, Taeyeon's the leader on that one." She rolled her eyes.

"Yeah. And you said the leader wasn't much of a factor."

"You know I'm not a very good actress!" She sighed.
"By the way, which part of the test did you make?"

"The last one, the geometric proofs. I made it easy though. You can use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve it."

She looked at me blankly. "You were the one who did that?!"

"Yeah." I gave her a weird look and ate my own food:
Pizza! Yum!

"Well, that wasn't easy at all. That was like, the hardest part."

"It was basic!"

"Basic for nerds, maybe."

"Yah. Stop calling us nerds." I frowned.

"Sorry. But it's true, though. Don't worry, I still consider you my friend."

"What an honor." I muttered sarcastically.

"Anyway--oops!" She waved her hands elaborately, which caused her to drop her books off the table.

"That's what you get for being so dramatic!" I laughed.

She scowled and bent to get her books when,
"Is this yours?" A deep voice asked.
I saw Mika look up and blink.

Then almost immediately, she smiles shyly.
"Yes, it's mine. Thank you so much." She flutters her eyelashes.

"It's nothing." The guy smiles.

"You're Jung Yonghwa, right? Leader of the poetry club?" She turns on the charm.

"Well, yes." Yonghwa said in his quiet voice.

"What a coincidence! I just love poetry!" She says dreamily.
I snorted and she kicks my shins under the table.

"Ow!" I covered my mouth.

"That's nice! There aren't many girls who are into poetry. Who is your favorite?" He looks at her soulfully.

Mika's eyes widened. "M-my favorite?"

"Yes. Whose poetry touches your heart the most?" He asks, finally sitting down across Mika.

"Uhm.." Mika looks at me in panic and I mouthed Byron.

"Baron." She says immediately.

"Baron?" Yonghwa's eyebrows scrunches up.
All the while, my eyes were widening at Mika and I was mouthing
BYron! You stupid, it's BYron!

"I-I meant Byron! Of course, Byron! I just love his works!"

Yonghwa's confused expression vanishes and he lightens up.
"Ah, Byron. He has written great works indeed! His writings had blossomed from his many adventures, do you know that?"

"Oh yes, yes! He was really quite adventurous, wasn't he?" Mika was bluffing her way through this successfully.

"But I think he got more cynical in his later writings. What do you think?" He stares at her deeply.

"Uhh..yes! Skepticism got the better of him!" Way to go, Mika!
Using synonyms to appear like you know what you're talking about!

Yonghwa smiles and reaches for the poetry guru's hand,
"I would be very pleased to have you join our poetry club. I can feel that your poetic soul is deeper than what you are showing right now."
I wanted to laugh out loud. The only way Mika's soul would go deeper is if it were looking for her missing shoes under her humongous pile of clothes at home.

"I would love to share my insights." My bestfriend is clearly mesmerized.

"Then, perhaps, I'll see you around?" Yonghwa stands up and gives her what could only be described as a soulful smile.

I glanced at my bestfriend, and she's got a dreamy look in her face.

Uh-oh. I shook my head.

Here we go again.

I walked to my locker after Mika left me to go to the library to borrow a book on
How to impress your club leader by knowing poetry.
If there is such a thing.

When I opened my locker, I was surprised to see that it was decorated! Yes, the whole backdoor and the sides of my inner locker was decorated by honeysuckle flowers!
I closed my eyes as I inhaled their lovely fragrance.
Then I noticed a note that was on top of my books:

Now your locker would show you how I feel whenever I'm with you: Magical.
There was a drawing of a chicken + chocolate. (now, don't let this paper get a splinter. Okay?)

It was exactly what Onew drew in my hand.

HEY WAIT! He managed to open my locker again even though I changed the lock!

Oh. My eyes narrowed.

Key.

But then, my heart won't stop beating fast. This is definitely sweet.

But why?

I'm not as naive as he thinks.
Friends don't do this.
Onew doesn't like me that way.
Does he?

I shook my head.

It's impossible. I am hardly the girl fit for someone like him.
And the truth is, it scares me.
I have no experience at all in love.

What if I fall for Onew?

I don't want my first love to be a sure heartbreak.

I frowned and thought about it and finally, the answer came to me as quickly as you could say, well, chocolates.

Onew's doing this so that I'll know more about dating!
Yes! It makes sense now!
Especially since he is so into tactile learning! This must be what is called as the Grand Gesture!
Now, I understand! I must find Onew to thank him!

I hurriedly grabbed my books and looked for him. But I don't see him throughout the whole day.
So I asked Joon where he is.

"Onew? Doesn't he have that really boring meeting all day after lunch?" He shrugs.

I thank him and went on my way. So Onew has a meeting. I sighed. I guess I can't thank him right now.
And I guess, I'll be going home alone today.

I was almost out the school gates when I heard someone calling my name.
"Maki!Maki! Wait up!"

I turned around and automatically, my face brightens up. Then I shook my head. No, no, love is stupid remember, Theory #5?

"Onew." I greeted him in a stoic voice.

"Whew. Am I glad I caught up with you." He was out of breath.

"What's wrong?"

He looks confused. "What's wrong? Don't we always go home together?"

"Well...are you going to teach me something today?" I asked.

"Uhmm.." He stared up.
"Hey wait, why does it have to be that I'll have to teach you something just so we can go home together? Aren't we friends?"

"And that's all we are, right?" I meant it as a question but it comes out bitter.

"What do you mean? Are you all right?" He looks at me weirdly.
I continued to walk and he hurried to keep up with me.

Oh my gosh. What am I doing? Onew's not a bad person. Why am I being so stingy?
"I'm sorry, Onew." I sighed. "I'm just..having a mood swing. Like Key."

"Man," He shakes his head as he keeps up with me.
"Don't tell me I have to deal with your mood swing too? Key's nagging had already tired me out all day."

I smiled ruefully. "No. My mood swing officially ended. I'm sorry."
He pretends to look relieved.

"Thank goodness." He takes my bag quickly from my shoulders and carries it. "So..did you open your locker today?" The flowers! I have to thank him!

"Just give me your stuff and no one gets hurt!" We both froze.
I felt something poking my back.

My eyes widened as I looked sideways at Onew. He looks like he's in a panic too.

"Didn't you hear what I just said? Hand over your stuff or-- Oof!" Onew's elbow lands on his face.

"Run! Run, Maki!" He shouts at me, but I'm frozen in place. The guy gets up and headlocks Onew.

"ONEW!" I screamed. Onew was trying to get him off but he held on tightly to Onew's neck. My brain kept on shouting for me to do something. I immediately kicked the bad guy on where it really hurts and he lets Onew go, shouting curses and he keeps on saying
"Boss! Hyung!"

Onew kneels, gasping for breath. I pulled him up, almost weakly.

"Let's go!" We ran quickly but it wasn't long before we realized that the bad guy wasn't alone.
Soon, three guys were chasing after us. Onew grabs my hand and we ran as quick as we can.

I wanted to cry out of fear and exhaustion. I told you, I don't exercise. I tire easily.

But the three guys weren't much faster since we were starting to lose them.
We reached a different part of the neighborhood I've never been to before and Onew pulls me in an alleyway and keeps on going.
Suddenly, we reached a dead end. I frantically looked around.

Where could we hide?

"Quick! In here! Before they find us!" He pushes open a door to the side, which I guess, I missed seeing, and we went inside.
It looked like a warehouse and there were many doors inside.

"Quick!" He pushes me in a door with his head focused on the main door.

"I saw them enter here, hyung!"

"That chick kicked me THERE! She has to pay for it!"

Onew gives me a final push and shoves me inside the door. But to my surprise, instead of hiding with me, he closes it.

"Onew!" I screamed then immediately covered my mouth for fear of being found.
I quickly opened the door but it wouldn't budge!
"No! Not again!" I kicked the door repeatedly but it wouldn't budge.
"No! No! No! Onew!" I whispered aloud but there was no answer.

I immediately put my ears near the door and listened, my heart was pounding.
I heard a lot of running around for some time and some steels, (I'm not sure, though) which dropped to the ground, until,

"Hyung! I don't think he's here anymore!"

"So is the girl! Are you sure they got away?"

"Yes! I'm sure of what I saw, boss!"

"Then why are you still here? Hurry! We might still be able to catch them!"
I heard them running around and the main door being banged shut.

I quickly pounded on the door again. "ONEW! ONEW!" I screamed louder, now that the thieves are gone.

"Maki?" Onew's voice rang, although it sounded a little weak to me, but still, I felt relief flood through my body.

"Over here, Onew! Hurry! I think it has one of those weird doors where it locks on the outside! I can't budge my way out!"

"I'm coming!" I heard him scurrying and open a door and shut it.
"Maki?"

"Onew?" Weirdly, I hear him, as if he's quite close.

"Where are you?" He asks.

"Onew!" I shook my head, even though he can't see me.
"You entered the wrong door!"

Silence.

"Oh. Okay, wait. I'll just.." I heard grunting and budging and then kicking.
Oh no.

OH NO!

"Onew?!" I asked in panic. "You can't get out too?!"
After a lot more budging, kicking, grunting, with some pounding, I heard him collapse on the floor.

"No. I can't get out too."

He was breathing hard and I followed the sound of his breaths. It was on the right side of the room I was locked in. I knocked on the wall,

"Onew?"

I heard him knocking on the wall as well. "Maki?"

"You're just on the other side!"
Somehow, this made me feel a little more relieved, knowing that he was close.

Suddenly, I heard kicking and punching on the walls. "OUCH!"

"Hey! What are you doing?" I was bewildered. Was he mad or something?

"If this wall is thin enough so that we can hear each other, maybe it would be weak enough to break it down."

I can't help it, I laughed. Although I don't know why.

"Are you laughing?" He asks, amusement was evident in his voice.

I sat next to the wall in exhaustion. I heard him slump as well.
"Onew?"

"Yeah?"

"Err..How come you entered the wrong door?"

"I...I make mistakes sometimes."

I smiled. "It's because of your condition, right?"

I heard him chuckle. "This is one of those times I wish it didn't strike. I'm sorry.."

"Sorry?"

"I couldn't be there right now beside you."
I became silent. Onew was always thinking of my safety.
"Were you hurt, though?" I changed the topic.

"...No." It took him some time to answer.

"You're lying, aren't you?" I frowned in concern.

"It's no big deal."

"Did they hurt you?? Does it hurt badly?"

"As long as you're safe, it's fine don't worry about me."
His voice had a stubborn note into it.
We were silent for a while.

The only light in this room was a white lightbulb. It wasn't very bright but it was good enough.

"How long do you think we're going to be here?"

"Are you sick of me already?" I can almost hear the grin in his voice.

"Yes." I said jokingly.

"How could you say that? After I rescued you and all..." He faked a hurt voice and I just smiled.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"5pm."

"Already?! How are we going to get out?! My mom will--"
I stopped in midsentence. I forgot that my mom would be visiting my grandparents today! And that my sister would be in a sleepover to do a project.

"Damn!" I said aloud.

"What's wrong?"

"No one would look for me." I said glumly.

"I'll look after you." He said.

"I'm serious. Aren't your parents going to look for you, Onew?" I asked.

"...No. They're in a meat fair in Jeju."

"Eh?"

"My parents own a meat shop."

"Well..do you have a phone?"

"Oh right!" He was silent for a moment, searching his pockets, I guess.
"Darn!"

"What?"

"I left it in the meeting room! I was trying to hurry after you...and..I left it." He sighed.
"Sorry."

"Oh..We'll survive I guess." I joked and we were silent again then I heard him kicking again through the wall.

I looked for possible ways to escape.

There was a window, way up. I can't reach it. There's even nothing on this room for me to stand on so that I can at least touch the stupid window. Plus, it's so small anyway, I don't think I can fit in there.

I closed my eyes and sighed.
"Hey, Onew?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you."

"For being your hero?" He laughed.

"Well, yes. And for the...flowers."

"Did you like them?"

"I love them."

"I'm glad." He sounds pleased.

"Although, you didn't need to write the magical thing.." I laughed awkwardly.

"Why not?" His voice got serious.

"Come on, Onew. Friends don't...say things like that to each other." I said quietly.

"What if I don't want to be friends?"

"Stop joking around!" I scolded him.

"What makes you think I'm joking?"

"I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"Why not?"

"Because it's weird...and impossible."

"What is?" He was obviously feigning innocence.

"ONEW!"

"Fine." His voice was glum.

"Anyway, thanks again. For err...rescuing me." I tried to lighten the mood.
His confusion was creating doubts in me.

"You can repay me with chicken." He joked and I laughed, relieved that we were finally off the topic.

Suddenly, we heard a soft pitter patter outside.

"Is it raining?" My eyes widened.

"Yes." Onew's voice was calm.
"I love the rain, don't you?" His voice takes on a dreamy note.

"The rain bores me." I muttered, though he doesn't hear.

Suddenly, the soft pitter patter turns louder and louder.
"It's pouring!" I complained.
The soft rain was now a straight downpour.

"That was fast." Onew's voice seems softer now because of the rain.

"I totally hate the rain." I pounded on the wall.

Suddenly, as if the rain is responding to my hate, thunders begin to sound ominously.

"Ugh. I hate this." I frowned.
And to add on it all, the lightbulb started to flick. I look up.
"No..no. Please don't die on me now!" I begged the cursed lightbulb.
"O-Onew?!" I turned up my voice to be heard.

"Yeah?"

"Is your light flickering as well?"

"Yeah. This place seems to be really old."
Suddenly, a loud thundering sounded and the lights went off.

"! ONEW!" I shouted, standing up.

"Maki? MAKI?! Don't panic! I'm here, okay?! Stay with me on the wall!" He instructed.
I followed his instruction and stayed on the wall, right where I can hear his voice.
"Are you on the wall now?"

"Y-yes." My voice was shaking with fear. "Onew, Onew, I'm scared." I confessed.

"I'm right here." His voice was soothing.

"I'm sorry, Mianhe. My stupid nyctophobia is acting up and--"

"Close your eyes, Maki."

"What?"

"Close your eyes. Sit down and close your eyes." I did as he said, and surprisingly, I began to calm down a little.

"Take deep breaths and count to twenty." I did that too.

"Better?"

I nodded, but realized that he couldn't see me. "Yes. T-thank you."

"Now you can't almost feel the dark anymore, right?"

"A little. But, how did you know this?"

"When I found out you had nyctophobia..I looked up solutions and...” He cleared his throat.
“Anyway, you're fine now. I'm here."

"Onew?"

"Yes?"

"Can you please keep on talking?"

He laughed. "Why?"

"Please?" His voice makes me feel safe, somehow.

He laughed again. "Hey, do you realize something?"

"What?" The steady downpour has now become softer.
It now has become the sound that makes you want to fall asleep.

"Doesn't this feel like our report?"

"Our report?"

"Yes. On long distance relationships."

I thought about it. "Uhm..how?" I feel stupid.

"Lovers on LDR usually just communicate through phones, letters, chats, or emails. They hear each other's voices, but they don't see each other."
"Looks like we won't be having a problem anymore." He sounds cheerful.

"So this is how it feels." I started to understand a little of what he said.

"Yes. So the report feels easier now, right?"

"I guess."

Onew didn't say anything for some time, I thought he had fallen asleep. My eyes were still closed and I feel tired myself.

"Maki? Are you awake?"

"Yes."

"Are your eyes still closed?"

"Yes."

"Do you want me to sing for you?"

My eyes flew open, that's when I noticed that there was light shining from the window and illuminating the room a little.

"Yes." I said softly. "Sing for me."

ONEW'S POV

I chuckled softly and cleared my throat.
I sang the song closest to my heart,
"Don't you know my feelings?
There's definitely only one today
I'm gonna whisper my love to you
Enough to make you happy
And completely surprised~"


"You should have joined the glee club, Onew! Your voice is amazing!" She even clapped her hands.

I smiled and looked up the window where the moon was shining.
"Really?"

"Uh, yeah. Is there anything you can't do at all?"

"Yes." I said softly.
Very softly so she won't hear.

"I can't convince you of what I really feel."

MAKI'S POV
"Onew?" I called out when he didn't answer my last question.

"Yeah?"

“Still awake?”

“Yes. Don't worry, I'll wait until you fall asleep.”

"Oh...” I cleared my throat.
“Well...Which do you like better? The sun or the moon?"
I gazed up at the moon shining outside.

"Which do you prefer?"

"The sun. I love its brightness." I smiled, my eyelids drooping.

"I like the moon better."

"The moon?"

"Yes. Because when the sun leaves, the moon appears to provide light. I appreciate the fact that the moon just hides when the sun is around, but it never goes away. It shines when you need it. That when it's supposed to be the darkest, it illuminates more."

I took a breath.

"That's really deep Onew." I stared up at the moon with a new respect for it.

"And doesn't it feel great?"

"What does?"

"That wherever you and I are, even if we're not together right now, we're still staring up at the same moon."

I closed my eyes as I think about what Onew said.
The same moon...

Gently though, my eyes start to shut on their own.


ONEW'S POV

I sang another song that I love so much.
"Cause you were my sun, the moon. You are my everything, All the things in my room
seem to miss you~"
I looked around.
It does look empty.

Maybe because she's on the other side?

"Maki?"
No answer.

"Maki?"
Still no answer.

I laughed softly and sang another song.
“Close your eyes, go to sleep
Know my love is all around you
Dream in peace, when you wake
You will know I'm still with you~”

I smiled.

"Go on, sleep. I promise to be your moon." I said softly and hummed another song.

MAKI'S POV

My eyes fluttered open as I felt the sunlight hit it. I stretched and yawned.
"Oucchh!" My back hurts from sleeping in such an awkward position last night.
"Onew?" I called out.

"Onew?" I knocked on the wall.

Suddenly, I heard noise outside, I stood up quickly. The main door was being opened!

"Help! Help! Anyone! HELLPP!" I shouted and pounded on the door.

"Hey, someone's here." I heard them say.

"Over here!" I shouted louder and pounded again.
To my relief and joy, I saw the knob turning.

"My goodness!" An elderly man opened the door.

"Oh, thank you! Thank you!" I was so joyful.

"Young lady! Why are you here?"

"My..my friend and I..we were trying to run away from some hoodlums."

"Oh my! Are you hurt?"

"N-no. B-but! My friend! He's in the other room!" I quickly went outside and unlocked Onew's door.
He was slumped on the wall, deeply asleep. His uniform was dirty and he had bruises on his arms.

"Onew?" I knelt down infront of him and shook him gently.
"Onew! Onew!"

He blinked. "Maki?"

"Onew!" I said happily and hugged him.
"You said you weren't hurt! Look at you! You have bruises all over! Did they do this to you?"

He just blinked again.
"Are you really here?"

"Yes! Oh, Onew. I'm so sorry. This is my fault.."

"Oh! Your friend is injured!" The elderly man came into the room with another guy and they helped Onew up.
"Come on, we'll drive you guys home." The younger man said.

They helped us out of the warehouse and into their truck.

"It's a good thing we came in early. That warehouse is going to be shut down soon."

"Thank you!" I said gratefully. Onew, who's sitting beside me in the back, still looks disoriented.

"Are you hurt?" He murmured.

"No, no. I'm fine." I looked down at my uniform. It was a little dirty because I sat on the floor and the wall was dusty.

Onew inspected me from head to toe, his gaze stopping at my legs.
"Hey, you !" I covered my legs with my bag.

He laughed a little.
"Sorry. I'm just a little woozy." He leaned his head on my shoulders and then he closed his eyes.

We were silent for a moment then I heard his soft, even breathing.

"Onew?"
He didn't answer.
“Onew?”
He's asleep? Okay, I wanted to thank him properly not just for the flowers, but for everything..

Although I'm still embarrassed...

So I guess, here's my chance.

I took a deep breath and nudged him a little.
He's still sleeping.

"Onew?”
No answer.

I took a deep breath again, ready to say all in one sentence,
“Uhmm...Thanks for agreeing to teach me dating even though you had to prepare for the assembly,Thank you for being so kind, Thank you for making me eat chocolates again, Thank you for the treats although I don't want you to do that anymore, Thank you for giving me flowers always, Thank you for rescuing me in the supply closet and also yesterday. Thank you for always making me laugh and smile. Thank you for being patient with me. And..."

I took a deep breath and felt for his breathing again.

He was still asleep.

"Thank you for being here."

Suddenly, I felt him hold my hand.
"You're welcome." He murmurs softly.

 


class notes
onew-icon-3.jpg
Songs Used (in order)
Your Name
In My Room
Still With You
 
Heyyy guys! Chapter 8 is posted, finally! :>
 
Anyway, regarding this chapter, I just had to put in SONGS. Yeah, I mean come on, right? An Onew fic ain't an Onew fic without ONEW SINGING! :>
Haha:> And my fave one is "Still With You" which ranks a 10 in my scale of swooning-over-onew's voice. (plus, it's an english song!)
 
Make sure you listen to it.Just a recommendation, lol :>
 
 
And yeah, some of you might be surprised how Mika just seems to hop from club to club. Haha. I don't know why I let her do that. >.< Haha:> Anyway, she and Maki are complete opposites anyway. So it's fine, right? Lol.
 
Anyway, thanks for reading, everyone! :*