✎LESSON 4: Flowers and Dutch

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎
The bell rang and I gathered my things to go home. I was already almost out the school doors when...
"Hey, where do you think you're going?" I felt a hand held on my arm.
I jumped and turned around.
"Oh! It's just you. You gave me a scare." I said, putting a hand to my chest.

Onew grinned, giving me a V sign. "Yes, it's just me. You ready?"
"Ready?" I asked and shifted my backpack to the other side to distribute the weight.

"Yes. We have a lesson today, remember?" He said while taking my backpack from my shoulders.
"It's okay, I can car--"
"I got it!" He shouted. 
"Why the heck are you shouting?" I asked, wincing.

"I wasn't!"
He replied, puffing his cheeks in response.
"So..." He said while steering me to another direction.
"Which chocolate did you eat first?" He asked casually.

"What chocolates?" I put on an innocent face.

"Yah! Don't lie!" He said while pointing at me.
 
I laughed at his reaction.
"I didn't touch them yet."

He raised his eyebrows.
"Lying again!" He accused. "I saw you eating one at the assembly today."

"So you were watching me?"

"Mmmm...no."

"Now who's lying?" I smirked and he shrugged.
"So Professor Onew, are you going to teach me the right way this time?" I asked.
"Hey! I think I taught you really well yesterday." He feigned looking hurt.

"Uh-huh." I said absently. "Wait, I didn't bring my dating book! Do you have yours?"
He looked at me blankly.
"What do you need that for?"
"Uhm, I assumed you were going to teach me right this time." I said slowly.
"I am." He started to swing my backpack around.

 
"Then let's go!" I almost dragged him back to school.
"This way!" He dragged me in the opposite direction.

"But you said..." I was puzzled. "You don't have your book do you?" I glared at him.
"Nope." He whistled happily.

"How are you going to teach me then?" I made a face at him.
"Tactile learning." He winked. "Are you a tactile learner, Maki?"
"No."
"Great."
I looked at him weirdly. "What's great about that?" I mumbled.

We rounded a corner and gift shops came to view. He just kept on whistling happily.
I wasn't very frequent on this side of the town before so I was curious as to what we were doing here.

"Where are we going again?" I asked him while staring past a flower shop on my left.
Onew suddenly stopped walking.
"We almost missed it!" He walked a few steps back and looked at the left side.
 
"Hi Key!" He said happily while entering the shop. I followed him and stepped inside the shop.

This time he brought me in a flower shop! Is this lesson time or a stopover?

"Onew-sshi," I half whispered shyly, but he was already going over to Key.

"Hey, Onew hyung!" Key smiled while arranging some beautiful roses with tulips in the corner.
"Nice shop! I should really buy my mom some flowers here!" Onew said looking at the displays.
"You should. Nothing says the way you really feel the way flowers can." Key said.
 
I snorted at that but didn't say anything.
I guess Key noticed since he looked at me from top to bottom.
"Hey, do I know you?" He asked, frowning a little.
"I'm Maki Teppei. Class C-1."
"Of course!" He claps his hands.
"I'm Key. But of course, you already knew that right? Head of the prom committee, VP of the dance club and son of the owner of the best flower shop in town!"

I nodded, smiling uneasily. I looked over at Onew and he was staring at the white and red roses arrangement. I excused myself to Key and I went over to him.
"Is that what you're going to get your mom?" I asked.
He turned to me and smiled.
"What do you think?" He asked.
"They're lovely. And did you know that according to fossil evidence, the rose is actually over 35 million years old?" I told him.

"How did you know that?" Key asked me, going over to us.
"I read it somewhere." I replied.
"Oh! A customer! Excuse me, guys." Key hurried over to the man who entered the shop.

Suddenly, Onew handed me a single white rose. I don't know why but my heart started to beat fast. I looked up at him.

Is he giving it to me?

 
"Wha--" I was flustered for words.
"I'm...going to give that...to my mom. What do you think?" He observed my face carefully.

Oh. He's giving it. To his mom.
I exhaled and my heart slowed down again.

"It's very l-lovely." I stammered a little.
"Yeah, the petals are--Hey, are you blushing?" Onew asked, leaning his face nearer to my face.
"N-no." I stammered again, quickly turning my back to him.
"Are you sure? It looks like you were." Onew asked while going in front of me.
"No, I'm not. I'm..I'm allergic to flowers, okay?!" I lied, turning my back to him again.
"You're allergic?" He went in front of me once more, looking surprised.
"Uhm...Yes...kind of." I lied and  inched away again.
"But--"
"Oh, I think Key is calling me!" 
I walked over to Key quickly, blushing madly at my stupid excuses.
Key glanced up from the flowers he was arranging and smiled. "Hey Maki, you know some more cool stuffs about flowers?" He asked.

I smiled gratefully and told him every fact I knew.
"Did you know that Tulips are one of the fastest developing flowers? They can grow up to an inch a day after being cut. And did you know that the sunflower actually tracks the sun's position in the sky? The default position of the head turns towards the east, which is where the sun rises..."

"Those are super cool! You must like flowers very much." He looked amazed.

Before I had a chance to answer, Onew went over to us.
"Uh...Are you done?" I asked, not looking directly at his eyes.
He nodded in response.
 
"I thought you were going to buy your mom flowers?" Key asked.

Onew made a face.
"No, not today. We need to go, though. I'm sorry, I didn't know Maki was kind of allergic to flowers. I couldn't risk it."

"You're allergic?" Key asked in surprise, turning to me.
Here we go again.
"Uhm...Sometimes."
"Sometimes?" Key asked in wonder.
"Oh, will you look at the time? We've got to go Onew! Thank you so much Key, it's very nice to meet you!" I bowed and tried to hurry out.

 
Once we were outside, I felt a little better. I was obviously not a very good liar at all.
"Are you okay?" Onew was looking at me strangely.
"Of course, why wouldn't I be okay?" I said in a strangled voice and forced a smile.
"You look nervous and your voice sounds funny."
"No, I don't. And...it's because of the allergies." I tried to make my voice normal again but it still sounds guilty.
"You're not a very good liar." Onew observed.

Must create distraction, right now! I looked around.
"Hey, chicken!" I pointed to a chicken shop. which was the nearest in the area.

Onew brightened at the word chicken. I guess that was his hot button.
"You want to eat chicken? I think I've found my soulmate!" He looked happy and his eyes were sparkling. I can't believe chicken had this effect on him.
I fought back my laughter. "Well, it's only 3:30pm. I don't think chicken would be appropriate." I said carefully.
"What?! Chicken is appropriate at any time." He argued smoothly, still staring at the store.

 
"Are you hungry?"
"Ravenous!" He said.

 
"How about ramyeon then?" I suggested, since the weather was also cold.
"Ramyeon won't be able to feed my appetite the way chicken can and I'm a growing boy, you know!" He continued to argue.

 
"Well..." I hesitated.
"Aren't you hungry?" He asked.
"Uhm..." My stomach rumbled for me since all I really had was lasagna because this chicken weirdo here decided to eat my plate of fries.
"I thought so." He said, not even pretending to NOT hear my stomach.
"Only because you ate my fries!" I said huffily.
He grinned.
"Don't worry, I got you." He held my arm.
"Let's go." he looked more happy than I've ever seen him.

We entered the store and the door charm chimed. It was a little empty so we found a table right away.
"Onew!" Someone called out.

Onew turned around, and I was surprised to see Wooyoung, another junior at our school, he was wearing a working uniform.
"Wooyoung!" He greeted happily.
"The usual?" He asked.

Onew nodded.
"Oh, and do you happen to have ramyeon here by any chance? My date would love some." he motioned to me.

My eyes widened.

My date? My date?

Were we on a date?

Wooyoung looked at me and squinted his eyes.
"Hey! I know you! You attend school with us! Maki, right?" He asked.

I nodded, still dumbfounded and he offered his hand. I shook it, distracted.

"We're classmates. So what about the ramyeon, Wooyoung?" He asked.
"I'm sure I can whip something up." He winked at me.
"You're the first girl he brought here." He stage whispered.
"Hey! OW!" Wooyoung suddenly grabbed his foot.

"I sure am hungry. Aren't you, Maki?" He glared at Wooyoung.

"I get it, I get it. I'm going already. Sheesh." Wooyoung pouted, walking away.

"My date?" I asked, almost in disbelief once Wooyoung was out of earshot.
"Are we on a date?" I asked.

"Aren't we?" He looked confused.
"What? I was just asking you to teach me dating!"
"Really? I thought that was just a cover so that I'll go out with you." His eyes twinkled in amusement.
"What?!" I asked in disbelief "What the heck are you talking about?"
He laughed. "Relax. I was just kidding. I just said that so that he'll make you ramyeon since they don't sell it here." He explained.
"Oh..sorry." I blushed, embarassed.

He laughed again. "You should've seen your face. You look so angry."
I stuck out my tongue at him.
 
Then he got serious. "Although, It hurts you know..
Is it so bad if this was actually a date?" he asked.
"No, of course not. I'm sorry. I just said that because I wasn't expecting your answer." I apologized.

 
"So, in other words, you like me." He tries to smirk but ends up grinning.
"That's not what I meant at all." I corrected him.
"No need to explain." He held up his hands, shaking his head and looking at me knowingly.
"You're living in a dream world!" I shot back.
"Oh," He smiled mysteriously.
"I hope not." He said.

I let that go since he has a tendency to do crazy talk at times.
"So...come on, be honest, which chocolate did you really eat first?" He asked again.
"How did you even get it in my locker?" I asked.
"Being president is handy sometimes." He looked proud.
"I am definitely changing my lock." I muttered.
"I'll keep on figuring it out." He said confidently.
"Besides, I think you forgot that Key is my friend." He smirked again.
"Huh." I was speechless.
"So you're saying...Key knows how to open locks?" What the heck.
"Yeah. Key can do anything."

I shook my head. The people at our school are so...
I sighed.

"He should've been president then." I said glumly.
"Nah, I'm more handsome." He shrugged.

I rolled my eyes, laughing.
"But...uhm, thanks. You didn't need to do that." I felt shy all of a sudden.
"But I wanted to do it. I just wished I could've seen your face when you saw the chocolates." He made a face.

I was about to reply when Wooyoung came to our table again and brought our food.
"Enjoy!" He said and walked away to serve another customer.
"Hey, thanks man!" Onew called out to him and h
e looked back, giving him a thumbs up.
 
As the aroma filled my senses, I realized that I was really quite hungry.

I dug in the ramyeon and when I looked up, Onew was looking at me.
"Sorry, I guess I was hungry...keke." I said, embarassed.
He just laughed. "I take it, it's good then?"
"Definitely."
"Here, taste mine." He gave me some of his chicken.
"Hey, I thought you love your chicken." I said.
"I do, but I don't mind sharing." He said with a smile.
"Well, taste mine too." I offered him my ramyeon.

He shook his head.
"It's okay." Then he tears at his chicken again.
"You don't like ramyeon?" I asked.
"I like it, but I already took your fries, so now we're even cause you took my chicken."
I snorted, "You were the one who gave it to me."

He just grinned again.
"So come on, what chocolate did you really ate first?" He just wouldn't let it go.
"Kitkat." I answered, finishing off my ramyeon.
"Really? I thought that's what you would eat last." He looked surprised.
I just shrugged. "I love Kitkats!"

"So what are you going to teach me today? Although I can only stay up until 5pm, my mom asked me to--"
"Teach you what?"
"The dating subject! You have to teach me today! Tomorrow's saturday and we don't have any classes and--"
"But our lesson's over."
"It is?"
"Yeah."

I stared at him.

"What?" He asked when he noticed me staring.
"I told you that we would use tactile learning." He gulped down his soda.
"I told you I wasn't a tactile learner."
"Sure you are. You're top 3." He waved his hand dismissively.

I just don't understand this guy. I really don't.
"If I were paying you right now, I would've totally asked for my money back."
He laughed. "You can't get any tutor as good as me."
"I can ask Sunny, she's our top student."
"A girl can't teach you what dating really is." He frowned.
I just smirked. "I think she's perfectly capable."

"Well...She won't give you chocolates." He huffed.

I pretended to think about it.
"Hey, yeah. You're right. I guess you are the best tutor."
He laughed "Chocolate and chicken is everything."

"You guys ready to pay?" Wooyoung appeared out of nowhere.
"Isn't it free?" Onew asked.
"No. For her it could be free, but not for you." Wooyoung joked.
"Friendship over." Onew glared at him jokingly.
"How much is it?"
"15000 won."
"That's too much!" Onew protested.
"You've been eating here forever and you always say the same thing everytime." Wooyoung shook his head.

"Don't worry Onew, I'll pay for my share." I assured him.
"Hey, I got this." He takes out a 10000 and a 5000 won bill. I put out a 5000 won bill and placed it on the table.
"I insist."
"I insist more." He moved his money closer to the tab.
"Boys should pay for everything." He said.

My eyebrows shot up. That sure sounded familiar.

"And besides, this is our date remember?" He winked at me for Wooyoung's benefit.

"Yeah, let the cheapskate pay, he hardly treats anyone." Wooyoung takes Onew's money.
"And this 5000 Won..." he said slowly, while taking my money,
"Can be my tip." He grins widely.

"Wooyoung! Give it back to her!"

"It's okay. He made the ramyeon especially for me." I smiled goodnaturedly at Wooyoung.
"I'll take care of his tip." Onew looked so stubborn.
"I don't think you'll give him any." I shrug.
"You're right, he won't, trust me." Wooyoung said.
"Yah! Jang Wooyoung!" Onew frowned.
"Take my money already, Wooyoung then run!" I said jokingly.

He grinned and did as I said.

"Don't do that anymore." Onew turned to me once Wooyoung ran away.
"Why?" I was confused.
"Next time, let me pay for everything." He said firmly.

I didn't say anything. My dutch theory is ringing in my mind. Am I right? Should boys pay for everything? Then why does it feel wrong and a little bit embarrassing?

"Ready?"

I nodded and once again, Onew walked me home. When we got to my house, I took my bag from him and thank him.
"Did you learn something today?"

I thought about it.
"I think so. But I still have to analyze it."

He smiled.
“I think we still need another lesson."

"Hopefully, this will be the end of tactile learning." I said.

He just smiled and was all "We'll see." and we exchanged goodbyes and I entered the house.



“As if I would let her quit tactile learning.

That's the part I love the most.” Onew muttered as he walked away.


 

 

class notes
onew-icon-3.jpg
*for reference,
TACTILE LEARNING is learning through experiencing/doing things. 
 
Here it is!  Chapter 4! I'm so sorry if it's quite short and boring. AND WEIRD!  But I promise there is a reason why Onew considers this date as a "lesson."
 
Also, I swear that the next chapters will be WAY better!