✎LESSON 1: What is Dating?

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎
“Dating is a form of courtship consisting of social activities done by two persons with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a partner in an intimate relationship or as a spouse. While the term has several senses, it usually refers to the act of meeting and engaging in some mutually agreed upon social activity in public, together, as a couple.”
“Girls generally love to receive flowers from the boy they like...”
“Going Dutch is a term that indicates that each person participating in a group activity pays for himself or herself, rather than any one person paying for anyone else, particularly in a restaurant bill. It is also called Dutch date and Dutch Treat.”


The words swirled before my eyes. I had only gotten 4 hours of sleep. I woke up at 6 AM to study again as I had gotten my first ever C in my whole life!

Believe it or not, our school has included a “Dating Subject” in its curriculum.

I am...was a straight A student. I am 3rd in my class, but this subject really had me dumbfounded. My technique was usually just to listen and take notes. This was a foolproof way for me, and I eventually became 3rd in my class. I was happy with my studies and I was happy with my friend, Mika, and the time I spend with my family. In my opinion, nothing else matters.

I thought I had studied this book pretty good, although I did disagreed on a lot of terms and concepts like “Girls love to receive flowers” and stuff...

I just didn't see the sense of it. Why would we girls only love flowers when it's given by a guy? Isn't it that flowers like the rose, geranium, and marigolds (along with many others) are used in foods and in drinks for added flavor and for health reasons, and that this alone makes the flowers good on their own without being used as a decorative piece in a vase? Flowers have much more important uses.

Plus, I can get flowers from our own garden. I don't need any boy to give it to me.

Not that I'm being bitter that no guy ever gave me flowers, no way! And besides, who needs boys anyway?

Uhm, not me.

And what is up with the “Dutch” thing? Shouldn't boys pay for everything?

“Maki-yah! Time to go to school! Get down here and eat your breakfast!” My mom shouted.

“Yes, mom!” I shouted back. I snapped my book shut and placed it in my backpack. It sure is obnoxiously heavy for something so unimportant.

I ate my breakfast quickly and rode my bike to school.
So anyway, I got a C because our first test had been an essay. Now, this should be easy for me since I generally love English and I love to write. But the first question had been: According to your textbook, give all the reasons why girls love flowers.

I could've easily given the textbook answer as I had already memorized it word per word in my head. But before I could write what I read in the textbook, I had already began writing in my theory of why girls DON'T really like flowers. Sure, we like flowers, but all on their OWN. Not when it's given to us by boys. (Right? Say I'm right, girls!)
So there I was, filling up the whole page with my theories and our reasons before my more logical part got up and made me stop writing. Okay, so I knew that my answer was wrong and that maybe...just maybe, right now isn't the best time to be all haughty and critical so I decided not to risk it anymore but then the “NO ERASURES” instruction loomed before me in all its bold and underlined form.
 
Oops.
 
Well maybe Mr. Kangta would see my points and agree with me anyway and still give me an A.
But apparently, he didn't and the result was a big, fat, C with a note that says: nice argument, but this was not the answer I was looking for.

I heaved a sigh as I remembered yesterday and parked my bike in our school parking lot. My friend, Mika, rushed over to me. Behind her shoulder, I noticed that there was a pool of students at the entrance.,

“What's going on?” I asked.
“The new class president was chosen.”
“Oh.” How uninteresting.
"Isn't it exciting?"
“Hm...not really.” I said, while putting on my backpack. It's not like the new class president will have any impact in my life whatsoever.
Mika looked at me weirdly and shook her head.
“What?” I asked, confused.

We got to our classroom and to our assigned seats just in time for homeroom.

“Good morning class! We have a new class president!” My jolly teacher announced excitedly making my classmates cheer. Even Mika.
I just stared at her and she shrugged back obliviously.
“Can you please come here in front, Mr. President?” The teacher said jokingly and gestured grandly to the floor.

“Speech! Speech!” Teuk was yelling.

Suddenly, the student behind me stood up. Oh! So he's the new class president? I narrowed my eyes. Last year, it was a male president, and this year, another male president? Tsch.

“Hey guys! It's me, Lee Jinki. You can call me Onew, of course. But I think you all know that already...” He smiled. “I'm your class president this school year and as president, I promise to always listen to your concerns and to help all of you guys with any difficulty in the subjects that you might have.” He gave a big grin and everyone cheered again.

Oh. So Jinki is the new class president? How...utterly relevant and exciting. NOT.
 
I nodded at his speech though, since he was perfectly capable too. He's actually the second brainiac in the whole class, and although I've never told this to anyone before, it was kind of annoying that he only beat me by a very small percentage. He got an A+ in our Math final exam and I got an A. And now, my C isn't really helping either cause he obviously got an A+ on that annoying subject.

Oh...but if he did get a perfect score...then MAYBE HE CAN HELP ME! This way, I can kill two birds with one stone.
I can ask his help on our dating subject and I can surpass him too, because girls RULE! 

Yup, it's definitely the perfect plan!

I was kind of nervous the whole day and when the bell finally rang to signify the end of the class, I gulped and slowly gathered my things. Truthfully, I am a little nervous. You see, I'm not really close with Onew at all, or with any boy for that matter.

And I'm going to ask him to teach me about dating. It's so embarrassing! Plus, he's a boy! So yeah, you girls know what I'm talking about, right?

Mika came over to my desk. There were only three people left in the room.

Me, Mika, and *gulp* Onew.

Onew was also fixing his stuff.

“Let's go?” Mika asked me.
“Uhm....not today, Mika. I need....I need to do something.” I said.
“What?”
“What?”
“Yeah, as in what is it that you need to do?”
“Uhm...study...?” Please Mika, don't hear the question mark!

She stared at me. “You can do that at home.”

“I know. It's just that...you know...I need to borrow some books from the library.” I lied.
“Then why are you all fidgety and nervous?” She asked me suspiciously.
“No, I'm not.” I laughed nervously.
 
Yeah, way to go Maki. You're such a great liar. But I just can't tell Mika that I was going to ask for Onew's help. She knows that I don't really like to ask help, especially from boys and she might just end up teasing me or something.

I know. Eew, right?

“Well, are you going to be okay by yourself?” She finally lets me off the hook.
“Yes” My smile was both relieved and forced. She shrugged and carried her bag.
“If you say so. Call me, okay?”
“Will do.”

She ran out of the room and I nervously turned to Onew. He seems to be struggling with just fixing his things.
“Jinki-sshi.” I said in a soft voice. Should I actually use this kind of formality? He's my classmate after all.

 
He didn't look at me so I decided to try again.
"Jin...Onew-sshi" I said a little louder this time.

He glanced up from his things and looked at me questioningly.
“Yes, Maki-sshi?” He smiled, using the same formality.

“Since-You're-The-New-Class-President-And-You-Said-In-Your-Speech-That-You'll-Be-Willing-To-Help-Anyone-Who-Needs-It...Well,-I-Need-Help--"
"Woah there! Calm down!" He laughed. "I can't understand a word you're saying."
"Sorry." Okay, I am so nervous and embarrassed. What the heck is happening to me?
He grinned. "It's okay. Now let's start at the very beginning, shall we?" He nodded slowly. "Is there anything--"
 
"I need help with a subject!” I blurted out.
 
Thank God that part is over.

He blinked, trying to comprehend my words. “The third best student in the class...is actually asking for my help?” He was grinning like a dork now.
 
I did my best not to scoff.
“Yes.” I replied, hoping I sound humble.

“Okay then.” I was a little surprised that he didn't tease me more about it. Plus, he actually seemed excited that I was asking for his help, or was he really always this darn happy?

 
Oh. Of course it's the latter. It's Onew we're talking about here!
 
“Why don't you prepare what we need to study and I'll just go get something from my locker.” He dashed out and I awkwardly arranged the huge, stupid textbook on my desk and nervously waited for Onew to come back.
 
Okay, actually, I'm not sure if this is a good idea after all. My hands are sweating and I feel really weird and nervous.
Like seriously, aren't those signs that maybe I'm not supposed to do this?

But then, Onew suddenly burst into the room with his trademark big grin, making me think twice. “Okay! Now we can start!” He sang happily.
 
Okay. I guess it's a green light then.

I secretly rolled my eyes when he wasn't looking, because seriously, Onew is just too happy that it's kind of...dorky.
He quickly grabbed a chair and turned it so that we were now facing each other.
“So, what do you need help with?” He asked me curiously.
“Err...this.” I said, blushing a little and pointed to my huge textbook.
 
Onew looked at me blankly.
“What?”

“This!” I turned my dating textbook so it was facing him, feeling more embarrassed now. “Our dating subject!”

“Oh.” He said and scratched his head.
You? Need help with this subject?”

“Yes. What's wrong with that?” I asked a little defensively.

“Well...nothing. It's just that our tests are purely textbook based. Aren't you really good with that? With your photographic memory and all?” He explained.

“Uhm...it's because I don't really agree with what the book states so it's kind of hard for me to focus because I think it's...well...It's just hard to explain! Bottom line is, I just don't agree and so...uhm...” I drifted off unsurely.

“What terms don't you agree on anyway?” He asked me, looking a little confused.

I cleared my throat. “Like girls love flowers, like going dutch on a date, and there are some other things. Can you please just explain them to me?” Please, Onew. Don't make this harder. Just enlighten me! I wanted to scream. Instead, I prepared my pen and paper. But he was just staring off in a corner.

“Onew-sshi?”

He looked up and stared at me carefully.
“Have you ever been in love Maki Teppei?”

“W-What?” I stammered, blushing again. Darn it! “What does me being in love with anyone got to do with it?”

Onew only smiled mysteriously at this. “You'd be surprised.”
His eyes twinkled and then he suddenly stood up, grabbed MY stuff and walked towards the door.

“Hey!” I called out after him. "you grabbed the wrong stuff. That's my bag! And I thought you were going to help me?”

He turned back at me and grinned his trademark grin again. “Then aren't you coming?” He asked.

“Coming? Coming where?” I was confused.

“To class.” He smiled again and held his hand out to me.

I just stared at him, still confused. Did I ask help from the wrong person?
“Come on!” He grabbed my hand and led me out of the school and into the sunshine.

Just where, I wondered as I followed after him, is this crazy guy going to take me to?