✎LESSON 6: Trapped

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎
Mika's POV

Okay, I can do this. No problem.

I walked unsteadily on my way to the music room. I can already hear some people practicing.
Some were belting out high notes. Some failed. Some were able to pull it off.

I took a deep breath to calm myself.
It's okay.

There are some people ahead of me. That's good. I can practice while I wait. I clenched the music sheet in my hands. I had chosen Wondergirls' This Time. It was a mellow song. But it was just right for my voice.

Maki had told me I can pull off singing if I sing mellow songs like this, and not to belt it out when I really can't.

Maki.

Oh, God. Should I have called her? I never should have come here alone. I need support. I need my friend. I can never pull this off--
I took a deep breath again.

Focus. Mika, you can do it. No problem. Besides, he won't be the judge today. It's Yesung and Junsu. Both of them are really nice. He's not around. I'll get in.

I took a deep breath again and stared at the music sheet
"Nan dasin sarang ddawin hajianheul geora ~"

"Excuse me?"

"Aah!" I jumped and whirled around.

A girl was looking at me, surprised by my outburst.
"Uhm, yes?" I asked her, trying to regain composure.
"Are you all right? I'm sorry if I startled you."
"I'm fine. You didn't startle me at all." I laughed nervously.
"Are you going to audition for the glee club?" She gave me a big smile.
"Y-yes." I stammered a little.
"Okay." She nodded. "My name is Hyorin, I'll be helping out the auditionees today. Here," she handed me a form.
"While you're in line, why don't you answer this so that we can organize all that we need so that you can officially audition. This is step 1 actually." Wow, she's quite chatty, isn't she?

I smiled and took the form and my pen and proceeded to fill out the basics.

"Ooh, I see another auditionee. I'll see you later. Call me if you have questions." She gave me a smile before she left.

I glanced down at the form again.

"Other orgs/clubs:" hmm...none. N/A.
"Piece/Song of Choice:" This Time by WG
"Have you ever been a part of any music club before?" Hm, let's see. I was a majorette before. Does that count? Probably not. Oh, I know! I was a part of little orchestra players when I was 8! I played the triangle. I wrote it down quickly. No one here was probably part of any orchestra before. I smirked.
"Reason for joining the glee club:" Reason? Why do they need a reason? What is my reason anyway? I can't write in Jonghyun, even though it's the truth.
"I want to share my talent and to improve it." I wrote instead, there, that seems good enough.

Hyorin came by again. "You done?" She asked me. I nodded and handed her my form.
She gave me a number. "You're auditionee # 7." I smiled inside.

Lucky 7! Now I'm almost sure I'll get in. As long as he won't be the judge. Then it's going to be fine.

It's going to be fine!

I should have probably asked Maki to come with me. Except that she has no interest in these things.
Breathe in, breathe out.
" Nan dasin sarang ddawin hajianheul geora ~"

”Auditionee # 1-3, please get ready!" Hyorin called out. I saw two girls and a guy stood up to enter the room. I gulped.
Three more to go then I'm next.
I started to practice my piece again. After 10 minutes, the three got out. All of them were smiling.

They got in! Whew!

I saw Hyorin came over to chat with them. She was clearly congratulating them.
"Auditionees # 4-6, get ready!" Three people stood up again.
I became more nervous.

The girl beside me was practicing her piece. It was pretty good. She was singing a slow and higher version of Shy Boy. She stopped when she noticed me staring and smiled nervously.
"You auditioning too?" I nodded, grateful for the conversation.
"Me too. I'm Jieun."
"I'm Mika." We shook hands and talked about our pieces.

After 10 minutes, the three got out again, also wearing smiles. They got in too!
I watched as Hyorin came out and congratulate them as well.
"Auditionee #s 7-9, get ready." She smiled at us. Suddenly another assistant, Seohyun, came and whispered something in her ear. She nodded.
"Looks like you'll be auditioning separately.” She glanced at me and my heart started to beat fast.

"Listen," I told Jieun quickly and quietly.
"Can you go in first? I just really need to get this call quickly." I fumbled for my phone and pretended someone was calling me and  quickly walked away.
“Oh, but--" I saw Jieun looking confused and shrugging. She went to talk to Hyorin who nodded and ushered her in.

After a few minutes, I went back to my seat and sighed. What am I supposed to do?
I breathed in and out a couple of times. This is stupid, I thought. I'm joining the glee club because of Jonghyun and not because I wanted to sing.

I don't think I want to do this—

The door opened and Jieun walked out wearing a big smile.
"I got in!" She whispered to me excitedly.
"T-that's good. I'm happy for you!" I tried to give her a steady smile but I knew it probably looked lopsided.
Why did you have to audition so fast, Jieun? Whyyyy?
I wanted to push her back in the audition room and keep her there 'til I'm ready.

"Good luck! Don't worry, they're really nice." She whispered to me and went to Hyorin to report.
 
After talking with Jieun, Hyorin came over to me.
"Ready?" she ushered me to the door, opening it. I saw the judges. It was Junsu and Yesung, and they were both smiling. I exhaled a little easily. At least the judges were nice.

I can do this, no problem.

I went in the door, finally able to walk steadily. The two greeted me and I bowed. They studied my form for a while and I thought I saw amusement in their eyes.

Was something funny?

"You ready, Mika?" Junsu asked. I nodded.
"Let it rip!" He said and I was about to let it rip when the door opened.

His movements were fluid. He walked with confidence. His face was purely serious as he went to the two judges.

"Take a break guys." I heard the words that shook off every confidence in my body.
"IU and I will take over from here."

 
Junsu and Yesung thanked him, handed to them my form and stood up.

NO!! I wanted to shout at them. PLEASE! DON'T TAKE A BREAK RIGHT NOW! I wanted to wail.

Jonghyun and IU took their seats and read my form. IU was smiling but Jonghyun just frowned.
The tension I felt tripled. I could never pull this off. I don't think I can. I wanted to call it off right then and there.

"We're waiting." Jonghyun said, staring at me.
"Um..I'm..I'm Mika Matsumoto. Class C-1." I started off.
He cocked his head to the side and sighed.
"We're waiting for you to sing." He clarified, staring at me more intently. He looked like his time was being wasted.
"S-sorry." I stuttered. Damn!
"Don't be so harsh Jjong. Go on Mika." IU nodded to me, smiling kindly.
 
I smiled at her gratefully, and gathering what was left of my courage and confidence, I sang the part I was practicing the last two days.

When I finished the song, IU was smiling and nodding.
"That was go--"
"I didn't like it." Jonghyun said, cutting her off.
"Why not?"
"It was too safe. We need more risk takers in the club." He stared directly at me.
"Sorry, but you're not what we're looking for." He looked out the door.
"Next!" he shouted.
IU just looked at me apologetically.
"I'm sorry." She mouthed.
I blinked and tried to smile but only managing to move my lips a little. I picked up my bag and turned around, heading outside the door. I didn't even bother to look at Hyorin who was outside or even at the other auditionees.

I didn't even turn back to look at him.


MAKI'S POV:

I walked to dating class a little slowly. I was early for this class so no need to rush.
Suddenly, I felt someone digging inside my backpack. I turned around.

"Hey--" I said, ready to punch the intruder.
"Woah there, ramyeon girl!" Onew ducked and smiled at me.
"It's you." I sighed in relief.
"Of course it's me, and why we're you acting like there's a criminal at school? Your guard is way up." He scolded me.
"Sorry. It's your fault, you surprised me."
"Go ahead. You always blame me. When I just wanted to give you this…" He reached behind his back and gave me a small bouquet of sunflowers.

"You like them?" He grinned at me and I blushed.
"Why are you doing this Onew?" I whispered.
"Doing what?" he looked at me blankly.
"Giving me flowers!" I murmured loudly.
"Is there something wrong with that? We're friends aren't we?" He looked hurt, and all I could do was to stare at him.

Do friends do this? I've never had a guy friend before so I don't know how they act towards their girl friends. Is this normal?
Well, it must be. Onew's pretty normal, at least 80% of the time.
Maybe I'll read it in Chapter 5 of our dating book or something. I wish I had a hetero friendship book right now.
Nevertheless, I accepted the flowers and thank him.
He grinned and walked beside me to dating class.

When we got inside, the class was noisy and I went off to my seat while Onew quieted the class down.
Finally, Professor Kangta arrived.
"Good morning class!" he greeted us.
"Did you all read Chapter 2?" Some of my classmates mumbled yes.

They were obviously lying.

"Okay, since you guys obviously didn't read the assigned chapter, and we can’t have a proper discussion, I'll just assign the pairings and situations today." He said.

 
I sat up straighter.
Pairings and situations? What's going on?

"This will be your second quiz, so make sure you do it right." He looked at the rowdy boys at the back. "I'll be assigning the pairings so they're all final. Also, I regret to say that since there's obviously a deficiency of females in this class, there will be boy to boy pairings."
"What? No!" Lee Joon complained. There were also a lot of grumblings.
Prof Kangta held up a hand "Before you all complain, I would just like to say that I did this fairly. I did it by lottery. Separating the boys names from the girls and picking them fairly and in an unbiased manner. Those who weren't partnered with a girl, well, don't worry, I'm giving you higher consideration for your troubles." He smirked a little.

"Okay, you guys ready?

Lee Teuk and Taeyeon, Taecyeon and Jessica, Hara and Junhyung, Kahi and Seungho..." The prof read off some more pairings and some of the boys became restless.

"Prof! Call me already!" Lee Joon was whining. There were only 2 girls left. Me and Bora.
"Bora and Eunhyuk, and Maki and..."
 
"it's me, right, prof?" Onew suddenly piped in loudly, raising his hand.
 
"Well..." Prof scanned his list, squinting his eyes.
 
"It's probably me! Pick me, prof!" Joon begged.
"No way, it's me! Me prof, me!!" Onew argued back.
 
"What the heck," Prof mumbled.
"Fine, Maki and...Onew! you guys are partners!"
"Yeah!" Onew pumped his fist in the air.
 
Wow. What a surprise!

I looked at Onew and he grinned at me, giving me a thumbs up.
I smiled.
At least the dating master can help the dating newbie.

I guess Joon didn't realize that we were out of girls since he was still begging the professor to call his name.

"Okay fine, Lee Joon and..."
"Yes!" Joon punched his fists in the air.
"Gikwang!"
"Yeah!
Wait,
WHAT?!"
Lee Joon stood up, looking crazy.
"No prof!! Why did you set me up with a boy?! This isn't fair at all! Eunhyuk! Switch with me! Onew! Teuk!!" He looked a little desperate.
"As if I'm happy with this set up." Gikwang muttered, his face was dark.

"Hey, hey. This is final, remember? No changes. Don't worry. You're not the only boy couple." He chuckled.
"and you also get to have the first pick of the situations." He assured them.

Joon stayed in his seat, still fuming.
"You guys can go first." Prof Kangta said graciously. Gesturing for the boys to go forward after he read off all the boy couples.
"You pick." Joon said, looking childish.
"Why should I?" Gikwang retorted.
"Because it's your fault for being a boy! You could've just been born a girl you know, then I wouldn't have this problem!"
"Yah! You punk!"

Onew stood up quickly.
"Guys! Be calm. Don't fight. A real man can accept any situation and still come out manly."
He said trying to build peace between the two.

"You're right. I'm sorry." Joon said, now just muttering but giving Gikwang a smile.
"But you still pick. I'm a rotten picker." He admitted.
"Okay. But promise me you won't blame me if I pick something terrible."
"Of course not." Joon crossed his heart as a sign of his promise.
"Okay, here I go."

I sighed impatiently. These two were full of drama.
"Just pick already!" Eunhyuk shouted. "You two lovebirds are taking too long!"

"Alright already!" Gikwang picked a paper and opened it.
His eyes widened.
"Can I pick again?" He looked manic.

"Why? What did you get?" Joon was panicking too.
"Can I pick again?" Gikwang's voice was getting louder and more panicky.
"What did you get?!" Joon repeated, still panicking.

Gikwang answered incoherently.
"What?" Joon squinted his eyes in concentration to his partner's words.
Gikwang mumbled again.
"What!?" Joon shouted, still not being able to hear clearly.
"Marriage! We got Marriage, okay!?"
"WHAT?! What were you thinking? Even I can pick better than that!" Joon was fuming.
"You said you were a rotten picker!"
"Yeah, but obviously you're more rotten! You could've just picked 'breaking up' or something!" Joon complained angrily.
"You said you wouldn't get mad if I picked something terrible. You even crossed your heart!" Gikwang pointed out.
"Yeah? Well, I don't have a heart!"

Prof Kangta laughed. "Guys, guys. Do you know what you're doing right now? You're acting like a married couple!"
The other boys were snickering and the girls were giggling.
"Why don't you channel all that anger and hate and turn it into a great report? You can both use some A+s."

The two were mumbling as they shuffled back to their seat.
"Life is so unfair." Joon muttered.

"I beg to disagree." Onew said, smiling up at me. I smiled back absently, thinking about what topic we're going to pick.
"I disagree too!" Junhyung said, giving Hara a very happy loveydovey smile. Hara just shushed him, giggling.

These two looked like they were hiding something.

Soon, it was time for the other couples to pick. Some got
'moving in together' (Teuk and Taey),
'casual dating (Taecyeon and Jessica),
'online dating' (Kahi and Seungho),
‘breaking up’ (Hara and Junhyung),
‘long distance relationships’ (Me and Onew), etc.


"As you can see, all the topics had to do with dating and beyond." He looked at Joon and Gikwang.
"You can use some of the terms in the book if it applies to your topic." He clapped his hands,
"Okay, you guys can now pair off and talk about how you're going to present your topic in class. Be creative. I want a written report as well. This will be due three weeks from now."

 
I stared down miserably at the paper that contains the topic we had chosen.
Long distance relationship?
I've never even had a near-distance relationship! How am I going to pull this off?

"This will be fun!" Onew said, coming over to my desk and pulling a chair to sit on.
"I think our topic is fairly easy...though I've never really experienced it before." He stared off to the side.
"What about you? Have you expe--never mind." He broke off when he saw my troubled look.

He took a pen and paper from my notebook and began to write.
"Don't worry. I'm sure we can gather a lot of materials on this. We can probably interview those in the same situation right now."
"I'm sorry, Onew." I began.
"Hmm?" He looked up from his writing.
"I'm not going to be very much help." I said regretfully.
"Huh?"
"I don't know the first thing about dating." I spread out my hands.
"You've been teaching me for some time now and I don't get each lesson!" I confessed.
"What are you talking about? You're getting better." He looked so nonchalant about the whole thing.

 
He began to write an outline of what we should do for our topic.
"Okay, I think we can ask Jjong's help. He knows a thing or two about dating. I'll ask around later--"
"Onew! Are you even listening to me?" I asked in a troubled voice.
"What's really wrong Maki? Are you having a mood swing?" He squinted his eyes at me.
"You don't have a fever..." He murmured, touching my forehead.
"How do you even know what a mood swing is?" I asked, bewildered.
"Hm?" he was writing again. "Key has those all the time."
"Key?!" I asked in wonder.

"No way will I be a girl!"
We both looked at the back.
Joon and Gikwang were arguing again.
"That goes for me too! I'm manlier than you!"
"You've got to be kidding me! You're the one who picked marriage!"

"Guys," Onew called out. "Settle it in the most natural way--rock,paper,scissors. You can never go wrong with that."

"Fine."
The two boys played. Gikwang though, unfortunately lost.
Joon smirked. "You're the girl now."

I looked down at my notebook. I wish my problem was that simple.

Suddenly, Onew took my hand and started writing something.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"What's wrong with you?" He asked, while still writing.
"I don't know what you're trying to teach me."
"I'll tell you everything one day." He was still writing.
"When?"
"When class is over." He smiled at me and stopped drawing.
 
I looked at my hand.
He had drawn a chicken, a plus sign, then a chocolate bar.
"What's this?"
"It's us!" He grinned and I sighed. Onew's really so random at times.

 
"So about our topic..." He started off again.
"Can I just research this first? I'll go to the library or search the net."
"Do you want me to go with you?"
"Don't you have a meeting?"
"I can skip."
"You're the president." I looked at him weirdly.
"Fine. Just look for me if you need help."
I nodded.

After class, I went to the library to search what Long Distance Relationship means. I got a number of answers but as I read each one, I became more disheartened.

How are we going to present it creatively in class? The written report would be no problem, but knowing Professor Kangta, the points would lie heavily on the class presentation.

I sighed and printed out all the data I've gathered and exited the library.
I can show this to Onew tomorrow and maybe we can work something out.

"Maki!" I turned around and saw Ms. Eugene, another professor hurrying towards me.
"Thank goodness you're here. I need your help. Can you please get some of these stuff from the supply closet? I'm in a big hurry so please just deliver it to the faculty room. Is that okay?" She handed me the list and I took it.
"Of course."
She gave me a hurried smile. "Thank you!" Then quickly walked away.

I walked to the supply closet. It was on the school basement and no one hardly ever goes there. It was a little cramped and the lighting was weak. I the lights outside the door and entered, shivering.

What a creepy place.

I thought I heard someone behind me, but when I looked back, there was no one there.
I quickly looked at the list and searched for the first item, two boxes of markers…


JOON's POV:
Today would be Dongho's initiation day for the waves club. Yep, there is such a thing.
It was founded by our sunbae, Rain(who's now in college), it is an exclusive non-school boys club, and only the best can enter.

"Is the aspirant ready?" I held my walkie talkie.
"Yes, captain. Over." Mir answered.
"I heard that he got the message to meet us in the supply closet. He should be getting here in no time, over." Eunhyuk's voice crackled in the device.
"Good. Signal me when he's coming."
"Will do, over." The two boys chorused.

We waited for a while, we were stationed in different areas so that we can do this effectively.
"I hear someone! Over! It's probably Dongho! Over!" Dongwoon, another member, reported.
"Quick! Check your gears." I commanded.

I saw them turn their backs from the supply closet and check the things we needed and I did the same.
"Everything complete?"
"Everything's ready!" They chorused, we were all crouching.

"I think the aspirant just entered while we were checking our gear!" Eunhyuk reported.
"QUICK!! THE PLAN!!" I said urgently.

The four of us came out from hiding and quickly closed the supply closet.
"Dongho~ah!" I shouted.
"This is your first initiation for the waves club! All you need to do is to stay in the supply closet for one hour. If you can do that, then you can move on to the 2nd initiation stage." I kept on shouting as the boys set out the plan, first locking the door and placing various things so that it really won't open.

"Oh right, before I forget, here's the catch: you have to spend one hour in the dark!" I looked at the locks and it seemed to be in place firmly.

"All good?"
The boys nodded.

 
"We'll see you after one hour Dongho!"
and I switched the lights off.


MAKI'S POV
I grabbed the second item on the list, a box of rulers, it was on the top so I had to struggle, when suddenly I heard shouts outside.
"Dongho~ah!" the voice shouted.
"This is your first initiation for the waves club!"

Dongho? Waves club?

I shook my head. What are those dorks up to now, anyway?

I struggled to reach the box of rulers again as the boys outside kept on shouting.
When suddenly, the door closed and I nearly fell off the stool I was standing on.
"Hey!" I said loudly, trying to regain my balance.

Then I heard something being jammed against the door. I panicked, falling off the stool.
They were shouting stuffs again when suddenly the lights when out.
"WAIT!! NOOO!" I shouted, trying to stand up. It was completely dark and I tried to feel my surroundings blindly.

I held up my hands infront of me. "Hello? Hello?! Please don't lock me in here!! It's dark and I used to have nyctophobia!" I shouted.

Now all the shouting outside made sense.
They probably thought I was Dongho!

I finally reached the door. "Please! You got the wrong person!!" I tried budging the door but something was blocking it.
I pounded on it with my fists. "Onew?! Anyone?! Help!! HELP!!" I shouted.

But no one hears me.

class notes
onew-icon-3.jpg
*for reference
Nyctophobia is a phobia characterized by a severe fear of the darkness. Maki used to have it when she was little..so let's see what's going to happen.
 
I'm back with a new chapter~
thank you so much for being patient, guys :>
and I'm sorry if it's more of a cameo kind of chapter! haha. lee joon cracks me up.