✎LESSON 7: Strike ONE

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎
It was lunch time and I was really hungry. I stared at my burger, ready to attack.
"Yah, Maki!" Mika slid infront of the chair across from me.
I glanced up. "Hey, Mika!" I smiled at my bestfriend.

 
"Do you mind telling me what you were doing at the supply closet yesterday?" She raised an eyebrow and I sighed.
"It's nothing, really."
"Yeah, it's all a big nothing, right? How come you're not telling me anything anymore?" She looks annoyed.
"Have you found a new bestfriend? Perhaps someone like...oh, I don't know, Onew?!" She glared.
"No, of course not. Onew and I are..." I thought about it.

What are we, anyway?

"We're just...partners. For the dating subject."
"So that's why he had to rescue you? And feed you two doughnuts after?" Her eyes narrowed.
"He was just at the right place at the right time. And it was only 1 and a half doughnut." Dongho got hungry waiting for his hyungs.

"Why are you so worked up anyway? Do you like Onew?" I asked, finally taking a bite of my burger.
"No." All of a sudden, she looked sad.
"Hey," I said, putting my burger down.
"Is something wrong?"
"No..." Her voice was small.
"Tell me." I placed all my attention at her.
"No, it's nothing really..." She sniffed a little.
"It's just that, I..I didn't get in."
"You didn't get in?"
She nodded. "In the glee club."
"Oh, that's terrible! I didn't know you already auditioned. Why didn't you tell me?"
"I'm telling you right now!"
"I'm sorry." I patted her hand.

"H-he was so harsh!"
"Who is?"
"And he was so cold! Just because he's so goodlooking, he thinks he can just put down my dreams like that?" She looked indignant.
"Getting in the glee club was your dream?" I asked, surprised.
"No." She gave me a look. "I just wanted to say that. But still!" She sniffed again.
"Who are we talking about?"
"Jonghyun!"
"Oh right, sorry. But why did you join anyway? You don't like singing all that much."
"The point is," She stared at me, hurt.
"is that I got rejected, okay?! And now my bestfriend is rejecting me too!" She bawled.
"Hey, hey!" I quickly went to her side, "I'm not rejecting you. You're my bestfriend. I would never do that."
"But you don't tell me anything anymore." She looked at me tearfully.
"I'm sorry, okay? I'm just really busy! But come on, you know you're like a sister to me." I hugged her.
"Nothing will change that."
"Really?"
"Really."
"Then tell me everything about yesterday...and don't leave anything out!" She looked eager.

I sighed. Typical.

Using drama against me.

"Fine." I told her the whole sordid tale.
Her eyes got wide at the rescue points and the possible disbandment of the waves club.
"NO! They can't disband the waves club!"
"They won't. I convinced Onew that it was just a misunderstanding." She looked relieved.
"But hey really, Onew was so sweet! It seems like he likes you or something. But that would just be...weird."
"Impossible." I agreed.
Onew would never look at me that way.
"Not impossible." She gave me a look again.
"You're not ugly. And you're nerdy just like him."
"Funny." I made a face at her.

"But what about me? I don't think I can ever recover from what Jong--" She suddenly stopped talking.
"Oh, hey, don't you have a math club meeting today?" She asks nonchalantly.
"No. I don't really attend anyway. Why?" I took a bite of my burger again.
"No reason." I looked at her, but she wasn't looking at me. I followed her gaze and saw that it landed on Donghae, our math club leader.
"Hey, today's the audition for the academics, right?" She asked.
"Yes." I answered suspiciously.
"So like, math club and those other nerdy clubs are included, right?"
"Math is an academic subject." I stated the obvious.
"I knew that." She looked at me.
"Don't tell me. You're planning to join the math club." I predicted, bored.
"Why not?" She tossed her hair. "I'm good at math."
"You got a C- at the last test." I pointed out.
"Thanks for the vote of confidence." She looked hurt.
"That's exactly what I need after being rejected by the glee club. No...by Jonghyun."

She's so dramatic.

"Okay, okay." I backed down.
"I'll warn you though. It's not easy."
"What is?"
"Our entrance test. You need to pass our test before you become a member."
"Piece of cake." She waved her hand
"Not really." I frowned. "It's pretty difficult. You actually have to be nerdy to get in." I raised an eyebrow.
"Maki," She said gently,
"I can do this. And besides, it can't be that hard. I mean, they're looking for members."
"Members who actually like math. And not just the leader."
"I don't just join because of the leader!"

I snorted.

"Okay, okay. So the leader is a factor. But really, I'm joining because I need a club that..develops my skills and challenges me."
"Hara and Kahi are also on the math club. How's that for challenge?" I laughed.
She frowned at me. "That's not the kind of challenge I meant."
"Enlighten me." I smiled teasingly.
She looked irritated. "Can you stop the silly questions?"
I laughed. "Do you want my help, though?"

She blinked.

"I was one of the three who created the test. I can give you some of the questions so that you can practice."
"Maki," she chuckled. "I don't need leakage. I got this." She tossed her hair again.
"But thanks."
"Are you sure?" I tried to convince her. "It's really hard!"
"Are you trying to discourage me?"
"No." I lied.
"I'm just...trying to prepare you."
"You're so sweet." She hugged me.

"What about dance club? You're really good and Taemin is really cute!"
"He is, isn't he? But I can't!" She pouted.
"Why not?"
"I feel like a pedo when it comes to him! If only he's 2-3 years older!"
"There's not much age difference! And I heard he likes noonas!"
"It won't work. I need someone more manly. Hey," She checked her watch.
"I need to go."
"Already?"
"Yes! Thanks for the burger!" She grabbed my burger and dashed out of the cafeteria.
"Hey! I didn't give you my burger!" I shook my head.

Why is my cafeteria food always getting stolen?

I am so not going to be nice next time.


MICA'S POV

Finally! Class is over and auditions are starting! I walked confidently to Room 318, the Math room and peeked inside.
There were 20 chairs and 12 were occupied. Minhyuk was there on the corner. He glanced at me when I peeked in.
"Are you going to take the test noona?"
"Uhm, yes." I went in.
"Please take a seat first. Donghae sunbae will arrive shortly."
Wow! So Donghae will be conducting the test? Nice!

I looked at my competition. They sure looked nerdy. But there was one nerdy guy there who looked cute.
I think it's Jaejin of Class 2-B. But still, he's younger. And nerdy. So he's out.

I waited confidently while the others scanned their notes.

What's all the fuss?

I don't think Maki made the test too hard.
Maybe I should've asked for her help?
I shook my head. No way, I can do this.

"Hey guys! Thanks for coming!" I looked back and saw that Donghae had entered the room. He went front and center, smiling.
How adorable.

I smiled, this is probably the perfect guy club for me.

"Okay guys, you'll need to answer this test before you become a member. But of course, you do know the benefits of being a member, right?"

Of course! I wanted to shout, YOU!

"Well, they're all in the fliers we gave out in the assembly anyway. And don't worry, this test is really easy! I bet it'll be a piece of cake for you guys." He grinned.
"Oh! I'm sorry for not introducing myself properly. I'm Lee Donghae of class D-1."

I sighed dreamily. He's a senior!

"Shall we begin the test, then?" He distributed the papers.
"Okay, I'm giving you precisely 50 minutes to answer the test."

He motioned for Minhyuk to ready the timer. "Ready? Start!"

The nerdy people started right away, furiously writing away in their papers.
I stared at mine. The first part was basic algebra.

Okay, I rolled my eyes. This is an insult.
I am so going to ace the test.

I breezed down on the first part.

Second part was Calculus. . I hate that subject.
"Solve for the first and second derivative."

What? The second derivative?! I don't even know how to get the first freakin' derivative! This is so unfair! I think I was in the washroom when we were discussing this in class!

Okay, I still have 35 minutes left.
I'm going to skip this and go to the third part.

"Geometric Proofs." Aaargh! Curse this! Why didn't Maki say anything about this?!
Darn.
I stared at the hateful paper.

"Everything okay?" I glanced up and saw that Donghae was peering in on my paper. "It's not too hard, right?" He asked cheerfully.
"Err..."
"You're doing really good!" He encouraged me.
Then suddenly, he leaned closer,
"Do you want a hint?"
"A hint?"
"Yeah." He was really close now. "You can use direct proof and pythagorean theorem for the geometric proofs." He whispered.
"Oh. Uh...Thanks!" That was not helpful at all.
I didn't know what he was talking about!
"Anytime. Don't tell anyone I gave you a hint, okay?" He winked.
"Of course." My breath was running short. He smelled so good!
I'll definitely do a thousand proofs for that wink again!

I tried again since he encouraged me.
I began to remember the first and a little bit of the second derivative. So I just answered whatever I think would be enough.
I stared at the third part. Sheesh. I really don't know how to do this!
I looked at the others and almost all of them were finished. I glanced at Donghae, he was chatting with Minhyuk.
"5 minutes left, guys!" He announced then he continued to chat again.

5 minutes?! ! How do I do this?!

"Ohhh..." I grasped my stomach.
Donghae stopped talking and looked around the room, looking for the source of the groaning.
 
"Ohhhh..." I groaned louder, twisting my facial expressions into one of pain.
Donghae's eyes widened when he saw me and quickly went over.
"Hey, are you okay?" He looked so concerned.
"Noo...I don't think so..." I made my voice weak and helpless.
"Do you want to go to the clinic? I'll accompany you." He helped me stand up,
"Ooh..." I faked dizzying and he held me.
"Let's go." He said firmly.
"What about her test, sunbae?" Minhyuk came over and I glared at him.
"She'll continue it some other time. Can't you see she's not feeling well?"

 
He accompanied me outside the room.
"Come on, I''ll help you to the clinic."
"N-no. I'm okay. I can get there by myself. I'm not so dizzy now." I said when we got out of the room.
He stared at me, still looking concerned.
"Are you sure? It's no problem really."
"No, it's okay, the clinic is just over there anyway. I can make it. Go...conduct your test." I feel like a heroine in a movie and he's my soldier or something.
"But..."
"Please." I let go of his arm.
"If you're sure..." He looked doubtful.
"I'm very sure."
"Okay. We'll just schedule your test some other time. I'll give you consideration." He smiled kindly.
"Thank you! That means a lot to me."

As if I'm going to take that test again.

He waved goodbye and went inside the room again.
I sighed.

Math club is so not for me.



MAKI'S POV

I walked with Onew again after school.
"Tactile learning again?" I mumbled.

He just laughed and adjusted my backpack, which he was carrying again.
"I'll carry my things. You're already carrying your own, you don't need to carry mine. I'm perfectly capable."
"Of course you are! I just wanted you to see how strong I am." He tried to flex his muscles but ended up dropping his own bag and almost tripping in the process.
"Are you okay?!" I tried to grab the bag from the ground but he was faster.
"Hey! What are you doing?" He looked at me.
"I'm just going to car-"
"Don't carry my bag for me! Didn't you just injure your hand yesterday?"
"It was just a splinter. And it's okay now."
"My drawing got ruined."
"I said I was sorry!"
 
He just pouted.

I sighed. "So what are we going to study today?"
"What do you want to study?"
"Well...we can discuss the reporting. I already printed some data."
"Hmmm..." He stared to the side.
"Hey!" He suddenly perked up.

I looked at the side too and saw that there was a commotion.
"What's happening?"
"I don't know. Let's go check it out!" He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the event.
When we got closer, I saw that it was a contest of some sort.

At least, that's what the banners say.

"It's a contest!" Onew looked so excited.

"Hello!" A fat guy who looked like the emcee boomed into his mic.
"Welcome to the first ever Jumping Love contest!" The crowd cheered, including Onew.

Jumping Love? What kind of a contest is this anyway?

"Onew?" I tapped his shirt.
"Yeah?" He was still looking happily at the emcee.
"Let's go. I think this is a weird contest. Jum--"
"Oh come on," He grabbed my arm and held on tight.
"Let's stay. I think this will be fun. Jebaaal?" He said, trying to be cute.
"Did you just use aegyo on me?"
"Did it work? Taemin's always does. So it should for me too!" He grinned.
"Fine." I rolled my eyes. "But we're just going to watch."

"For our prizes, we have this exquisite bouquet of flowers!" The emcee turned to the side and I gasped.

Calla lillies! They have Calla lillies! It's only my most favorite flower ever!
And yeah, there are red roses mixed in the bouquet, but still! CALLA LILLIES!

"Hey, those are nice." Onew commented.
I stared at him. "Nice?! Are you kidding?! Calla lillies are the only flowers which are suitable for any occasion!"
"Really? Do you like them then?" He stared at me.
"...No." I bit my lip. Of course, I want them!

Oh, if only I can have them!

He snorted. "You'll never be a good liar, ever."
"Huh?"
"Nothing." He grinned.

"And this is our second prize: top of the line couple rings!"
The crowds cheered harder. I frowned.

The flowers are more valuable! How can they cheer for the rings like that?

"Now, that is definitely nice!" Onew whistled.
"I think those are real." He tries to inspect by squinting his eyes.
"How can you even tell?" I was skeptical.
"There's only way to find out." He grinned devilishly.
"What? How?" I asked nervously.

Please don't join...Please don't join...Please don't join...

"Aren't the prizes great? So now, we need eight guys--"
"Me! Me!" Onew rushed to the front with his hand raised.
"Onew!!" I panicked.
Why can't my prayers be answered just once?!

"And we have one! Any more contenders? Just one reminder guys. You need to have your ladylove with you to join. You need to be in a couple."
Oh, thank goodness.

My prayer was answered after all.

"Onew!" I finally reached his side. "You can't join." I whispered.
"You're not in a cou--"

"Here's my ladylove!" Onew pulled me to him and put his hands around me.
"Yobo!" He exclaimed, smiling down at me.

My eyes widened. "What are you doing?" I mouthed.
"Just go with it." He whispered.
"You want the flowers, right? I'll get them for you."
I looked at him in surprise. "Is this about the flowers? Because there's really no need--"

"And now, we have eight contenders! Can you please step on stage here with me?"
Onew tugged at my arm. "Let's go."
I reluctantly climbed up with him.

I am not liking this at all!

"Okay, the guys will be the only one to perform the challenge! But before we start, for the ladyloves, how about a kiss of good luck for your guys here?"

What!?

I panicked immediately but Onew held my arm firmly. We were the last couple so we got to watch each girl kiss her boyfriend while the crowd cheered.
"And now, our last couple..."
"Onew and Maki." Onew prompted him.
"Onew and Maki! How about a kiss for your boyfriend, Maki?" He looked at me expectantly, smiling.

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" The crowd cheered. What am I suppose to do?

Am I really supposed to kiss him?

"Sorry," I looked up and saw that Onew had borrowed the emcee's mic.
"My yobo here is very shy. Can I just do this instead?"
the crowd cheered louder and he grinned.
"Sorry." He whispered in my ear.
"O-On..." He suddenly gave me a soft peck on my cheeks.

The crowd cheered again and Onew grinned while squeezing my hand. I, on the other hand, am blushing so much.

"Okay! Now, we can begin! Okay girls, you can now go down and cheer for your boyfriends. Are you guys ready? Here's what you need to do. Jumping love! Keep on doing jumping jacks until you give up. The last man standing will win our fabulous prizes!"

I was holding my cheek until I got down from the platform. But when I heard the challenge, the embarrassment flew out of my mind immediately.
Oh no. Jumping jacks? Onew will definitely get hurt!
I looked at him worriedly but he just looks so game up there, grinning for all he's worth.

"Ready? Go!" The emcee blew his whistle and the guys began jumping. The crowd cheered and the music was pumping.

I stared at Onew worriedly. He looked really happy jumping up and down there.
He looked like a dork. A cute dork. But a dork, nonetheless.

I observed that he wasn't jumping up and down fast the way others were.
I smirked. Good thing Onew's smart.

He's conserving energy. The idea is to be the last one standing, not to have the most number of jumps.

He caught my smirk and winked. I laughed, forgetting my worries for a while.
Maybe he does have a chance at this.

"Yobo! Yobo! Go yoboooo!" The girl beside me screamed. She noticed me looking. "Aren't you going to cheer for your yobo?"
"I--er, of course I will! Uh...On--yobo! Yeah! You can do it! Use your brains! Don't trip!" I cheer advised. I smiled at the girl.
I think my cheer was pretty great but she just gave me a weird look and started to cheer for her own boyfriend again.
But I guess Onew liked it since he grinned at me and started going faster. After 10 minutes or so, I can see some of the boys slowing down. And two even gave up, much to the disappointment of their girlfriends.

There are only six of them left now.
I bit my lip. I hope Onew wins.

More so, I hope he doesn't hurt himself.


ONEW'S POV

I was jumping like there was no tomorrow. I heard Maki scream out what I guess she thought was encouragement. At least she's trying, so I went faster.
But after a while, I tired down a little.

Sheesh.
Thank goodness Minho kept on asking me to accompany him with his morning jogs before or else I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

I glanced down at Maki and saw that she had this worried look on her face again.
Why was she worried?
Was she worried that I would lose?

 
I wouldn't lose.
I wouldn't.

I concentrated and started to jump steadily again. I glanced at my competition, they were jumping fast.
I shook my head.

Wrong move.

"Oof!" I almost tripped over my two feet.

How did that happen?

"ONEW!!" I saw Maki panicking and preparing to rush over to me.
But I regained my balance easily and gave her a thumbs up.
"I'm okay, yobo!" But she looked annoyed.
"I told you not to trip!" She shouted.

So that's why she looks so concerned. My face immediately crinkled into a smile.
"Are you concerned?" I shouted back.
I know she'll lie and say no just like always but I guess she noticed the people staring.
She sighed as she always does.
"Just don't trip again!" then she made a face. The girl beside her said something
and I watched her pretty face scowled while she retorted something back.

Huff, huff.

Three more guys dropped out.
"Yessss!" I rejoiced. My competitions and the other girls stared at me.

"Yesss...I'm still in the game...Yayyy." I said feebly and Maki shook her head.
But I swear I saw a smile.

I glanced at the other guys again. Only the three of us left. They were jumping fast.

I decided to add another strategy.
"Hey guys! Aren't you tired yet? 'cause I sure am!" I shouted to them.
"Then why don't you quit?" An arrogant looking competitor of mine retorted.
"Quitting is not in my vocabulary. Especially if it's for my ladylove." I said loud enough for them to hear but not for Maki to know.
"So what school do you go to?" I shouted at them again.
"Chungdam." The guy beside me answered.
"Shinhwa." The arrogant guy smirked. Shinhwa was a school for the rich. I think F4 went there.
"Cool." I got them talking by asking about their school and the hot girls and stuff.

The Shinhwa guy boasted to no end.
Good, my strategy is working.

I glanced at Maki again and I saw that she was frowning, in concentration, then her face brightened as she figured out my strategy.
I gave her a knowing smile and she returned it, giving me a thumbs up.

That's more like it.

The Shinhwa guy tripped in exhaustion.
His strength sapped, thanks to his nonstop talking.

His girlfriend, the girl beside "my girlfriend" screamed at him
"Yah! Thanks for nothing!" She stormed out.

I raised my eyebrows. True love is really sweet.

The guy beside me looked out of breath.
"You okay?" I asked.
He stared at me. "I think.." he huffed. "I can afford..."
Breathe in, breathe out.
"nice flowers and good..." huff, huff.
"couple rings, right?"

YES!! I screamed inside. "Of course." I said kindly. "and may I recommend a really good flower shop by a friend of mine? I think he'll give you a discount."
He smiled. "I'll take you up on that."

I grinned.
"At least I'll be making two people happy today." He grinned back. "I'm Jaehyo."
"Onew." He grinned and stopped jumping.
"I'm sorry baby, I'll just buy you whatever you want today."
"It's okay, yobo! You did your best!" The girl shouted back and she ran to meet him.

"You can stop jumping now, son."
I stopped jumping and saw that Maki's eyes were wide.
The emcee faced the crowd. "And we have a winner!" The crowd cheered so loudly.
"Can you please join us here, Maki?" Maki climbed up and she looked jubilant.
"I can't believe you won! And you only tripped once!" She looked so happy.

I beamed at her. Anything for you.

"And here's your prize." The emcee handed me the flowers and the couple rings.
The crowd's cheers got louder.

"Yobo," I looked at Maki and knelt before her, puffing a little.
Her eyes widened.
"Flowers for you." I handed them to her. "I told you I'd get them for you." I whispered.

She gasped. "Calla lillies."

"How about a little something for your yobo's efforts?" The emcee said to Maki and I stood up.
She looked at him, then to me, then hesitantly, she stepped closer.
The crowd cheered more and I don't know why, but my heart sure is beating so fast right now.
 
Is she--

Ever so shyly, she tiptoed and gently placed a kiss on my cheek, as light as a feather.
"Thank you...yobo." She whispered, blushing and taking the flowers.

That makes it all worth it.

MAKI'S POV

We went home after Onew bought take home fried chicken and sodas from Wooyoung's shop.

We walked in silence, he was carrying my things again and I was carrying these wonderful, wonderful flowers.
"Thanks again." I said. I was still embarrassed everytime I think about the kiss! It's my first time, and I didn't do badly, right? I mean, the crowd cheered!
"It's nothing. I knew you really liked the flowers." He looked pleased.
"I love them." I said truthfully.
"At last! The truth!" He grinned at me and I laughed.
"Yes, the truth. Oh!" I glanced up.
 
We were at my house already?
"Uhmm...Thanks? Again. We're here." My words are at a jumble.
He suddenly looked serious. "Before I go," He stared at me.
"Did you learn anything today, Maki?"

We had a lesson?

"Uhm..." He laughed at my hesitation.
"You'll get it, sooner or later." He smiled.
"I hope so." I just said, since I really don't get what the lesson was.
"So, uhm...I'll be going now."
I nodded. "Be safe."
He smiled. "I won't trip!" He grinned and I laughed again.

He turned and went on his way and I entered the house, carrying my beautiful flowers.

--

That night, I stared at the flowers that were at my desk.
Even at the night, they looked more beautiful.

Is it because Onew got it for you? A voice in my head said.

I blinked.
Was it because of that?

I stared at the flowers again and Onew's face pops into my mind.
What did Onew teach me today?

I browsed through my notes and a paper almost flew out. I grasped it and read.

Oh! It's my list! I looked at it for a long time,
Onew's question was resounding in my head.

Then I got my pen,
"I did learn something today, Onew." I said aloud.

And then with a smile, I uncapped my pen and slowly strike out my first theory:
#1. Girls don't like flowers.
Oh no, I thought, still smiling,

Girls definitely love flowers.

 

class notes
onew-icon-3.jpg
So you guys must be wondering why I chose Calla lillies as the flowers, it's because they're really my fave. lol. and roses & orchids seems too common already. i don't know, i just wanted something different.
 
 
AND, YOU GUYS CAN GO FIGURE OUT WHAT MS. BOA WHISPERED TO MAKI! :> HAHA. I'll leave it up to you!