✎LESSON 9: You're My First.

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎

 The kind elderly man and his son drove Onew and me home. Onew was brought home first, as per my request, because he was still dizzy.
I went out of the car and walked him to the gate.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"So this is what it feels like to be walked home." He grins at me.

"Yeah, you're feeling better." I rolled my eyes at him.

"I can manage from here. Thank you, Maki." He smiles.

I nodded. "See you?"

"Yes. We'll see each other later. Hey, don't walk home. Ask them to drive you to your house."
He reminded me.
I just nodded and we said our goodbyes and I climbed the truck again.

When I got home, my sister left me a note:
Where were you? I'm off to school, okay? See you later.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. I'm still quite sleepy, tired and I'm dirty. I ran a hot bath and stayed in for some time. I decided that I'll go half day on school for today. I really need sleep.

So after bathing, that's exactly what I did.

I woke up when my alarm sounded at 11:30 am. I ate my breakfast and went to school.

"Maki! Where were you?" Mika rushed to my table.

"Home. Half day." I said wearily. I was still sleepy.

"Hey, are you sick?" She puts a hand on my forehead.

"No. Just tired."

"Why?"

"Adventure. The same moon.." I muttered, heads down.

"You're not making any sense today! Why did you even go to school? You should've just stayed at home."

"Can't." My voice was muffled.

"Quiz today. Math." I mumbled.

"What? Lift your head up, silly. Did you eat lunch already?"

"Breakfast." My voice was still muffled.

"What?" She lifts my head up.

"Breakfast."

"What quiz do we have today?"

"Math." My eyes drooped.

"WHAT!? Why the heck didn't you tell me?!" She panics and roots around my bag, looking for my math notebook.

She flips through it, studying angles and I put my head down again.

"Wait, how do you compute for this again?" She shakes my arm.

"I forgot." I said lazily.

"Arg!You're no use today!" She storms off to ask for the help of our other classmates.

"Sorry." I mumbled even though she can't hear me anymore.
I thought I was going to get peace at last when I felt someone waking me up again.

"What?" I lifted my head and glared at the intruder.

"Noona! Were you sleeping? Sorry! I just need to confirm something. This will be really quick."Taemin said hurriedly.
Aigoo, he's so adorable.

"Confirm away." I rubbed my eyes and stretched.

"Taemin~ah! Why are you in a juniors classroom? Sophomores aren't allowed here!" Jonghyun said after barging on our room.

"This isn't your classroom too, hyung!" Taemin kidded, smiling.

"Why are you here anyway?"

"I need to ask Maki noona something. And what is your reason, hyung?"

"I'm looking for Onew hyung."

"That's exactly what I was going to ask!" Taemin turned to me.
"Is Onew hyung going to school today?"

I glanced around. Onew was nowhere to be seen.
"Uhm..I don't think he's going to school today." I stared at his empty seat.

"Why not?" Jonghyun demanded.

“Uhmm...I think he's sick.”

"Man, and I really need his help with something!" He walked out.

"That's all I need to know! Thanks noona!" Taemin sang cheerfully and ran out.

"Was that Jonghyun who came to your table a while ago?!" Mika went to me again.

"Yes." I answered sleepily.

"What! He has the nerve to go here? After what he did to me!?" She raved angrily.
I tuned out Mika's voice. She obviously still likes him.

"..and he was so harsh!" She continued on.

"Okay class, take your seats! You need to answer this test immediately. It's quite long!" Prof Soo Man entered our room.

"! I still don't get how to compute it!" Mika grabbed my notebook again and hurried to her seat.

I shook my head.

Typical Mika, cramming up to test time.

We took the test and I finished it slower than I did on my last quizzes. I'm just low on energy right now.
I stared at Onew's empty seat again.

My energy outlet is not here today.

I sighed and dropped my head down again.

The rest of the day seemed so long to me. I didn't even perk up so much on English time.

"Hey Maki, you really look wasted." Kahi came to me and patted my back. "Are you okay?"

"Yes." I gave her a feeble smile. Kahi was always so nice to everyone. It's no wonder she was prom queen last year.

When the bell rang for dismissal, I actually felt relieved. It's time to go home! And Onew will be teaching me--

Oh wait.

He won't be teaching me today.

I sighed and looked for Mika and asked if she wanted to go home together.
"Today? Oh sorry Mak, we have a poetry club meeting today. I think I'm going to be voted vice president!" Mika said excitedly.

"They already have a vice president." It was Kiseop, another senior.

"We do?!" She looks annoyed.
"Oh well." She shrugs then brightens up,
"Maybe I could be the muse then! You know, the club's inspiration to write great poetry!" She strikes a pose and for the first time that day, I laughed.

"Thank goodness. I thought you were really dead." She grinned at me.

"What are you talking about?"

"You look like someone died. It's like you need a million hours of sleep or something."

"Thanks." I said sarcastically.

"Hey, what are friends for?" She shrugs then hugs me.
"It's an off day, today huh? Why don't you go somewhere that makes you happy?" She suggested.

I actually considered that.
"Somewhere I could be happy?"

"Yes. Anywhere. The library, the garden, whatever."

"Maybe you're right."

"Of course, I am. I'll call you later, okay?" She strutted off to poetry club and I went off to find my happy place.

I passed by the dance room and I heard "Electric Heart" playing loudly. I stopped and peered inside.

Taemin was practicing and woah!

Is he so good at what he's doing or what?
He was obviously born to dance.
I watched as he maneuvered moves that were inhuman and would probably make most people break their bones.
AND...
IS THAT A SPREAD LEG MOVE?!


The music came to an end and Taemin stopped dancing, panting a little. He noticed me and brightens up.
"Hey noona! Come in!" I closed my gaping mouth and went in hesitantly and he stopped the music which was beginning to play again.
"What's up?" He grabbed a towel and wiped his forehead.

"Nothing much. I..just passed by because I heard the music."

"Do you dance noona?"

"Not at all!" I said frantically, before he attempts to make me dance or whatever.

"Aw. That's okay. You're really good in the academics anyway." He smiled at me kindly.

"Uhm..thanks. But aren't you third in your class too?"

He dranked his water, "Yeah. I'm studious, like Onew hyung!" He looked proud.
I wanted to pinch his cheeks right then and there, he is just soooo cute!

"Speaking of Onew hyung, I almost forgot!" He stood up. "Wait here, noona." He jogged off outside the dance room and I waited, my mind going back to finding where my happy place could be.

"Ta~da!" Taemn went in and gave me a bouquet of tulips.

"Eh?" I looked at him in surprise.

"It's not from me, though." He grins boyishly.
"I'm a messenger today. Good thing I talked to Key hyung on time."

"What?" He wasn't making any sense.

"Well.." He sat beside me. "Onew hyung talked to me before."

"About what?"

"It wasn't so clear exactly. He just asked a favor from me."

I waited for him to say more.

"He told me that if ever he was absent, I need to tell that to Key hyung and Key hyung would give me flowers which I would need to give to you." He smiles.
"Onew hyung usually goes to my classroom just to talk in the mornings, but today he didn't come that's why I had to ask you. And when it was confirmed that he's absent, that's when the plan needs to start." He looked at me.

But I couldn't say anything.

Onew planned this?
He would plan that I would still receive flowers even though he was absent?

Why?

He gives me flowers everyday, in one way or another with no special reasons.
What does all of it mean?
Did he? Could he have?
No, it's impossible.
He couldn't have seen the list. I hid it really well.
And even if he did, so what? He wouldn't give me flowers because of that, right?

"Noona?" I glanced up.

"Yes?"

"Are you and Onew hyung a couple?"

"...No."

"Is he into you then?"

"No." I laughed awkwardly. "Don't ask silly things Taemin."

"It's not silly at all noona. I've never seen Onew hyung like that. He's never given any girl
special attention, he never got mad at his friends, ever."
I remembered the supply closet and the way he looked really pissed off at Joon.
"and, he never grins that much. I swear. He's cheerful, we all know that. But he doesn't grin every five minutes like he does now. Before, he was all schoolwork, friends, and family. But now, he dismisses meetings early. Because he had to tutor a struggling student." He gives me a knowing look.

Struggling?! I'm not struggling!

Or am I?

"Just one thing noona.." He stood up.
"Please don't ever be the reason why hyung would lose his smile."

I stood up, still shocked and confused.
"I--I need to go, Taemin." I fumbled for my bag and turned to go.

"Noona!"

I turned around slowly. "Yeah?"

He gives me a bright smile,
"Don't forget your flowers."

-----

I walked slowly when I exited the school.
Where should I go first?

Where is my happy place anyway?
Or is it supposed to be who?

Making up my mind, I turned left and entered the store.

"Hey." I greeted.

Wooyoung looked up from the book he was reading.
"Maki!" He smiles. "What'll it be?"

I smiled. "Do you do take outs?"

---

I walked quickly then slowly then quickly.

Should I do this?

This is so weird.

Maybe I shouldn't do this!

I turned around to go home,
No, my brain scolded, He's your friend, isn't he?

I frowned. Fine.

Now I'm fighting with my brain. Something is really wrong with me.

I was fidgeting as I rang the doorbell. This is so unladylike.
Going to his house? Me? A girl?

I'm just going to visit him. See if he's fine. Then I'm going to give this.
I looked at the food I bought for him. Then I'll go.

Yup, I nodded. That's the plan.

I waited for a while but no one was opening the gate.
Oh, right. His parents aren't around. And he's probably asleep right now anyway.
I bit my lip.

One more ring couldn't hurt, right?

I rang the doorbell again, if no one answers in five--no, two minutes, I'm out of here. I looked at my watch.

30 seconds..
45 seconds..
1 minute..
1 minute, 30 seconds.


I turned around, ready to go.

"Who's there?" I turned around. A kid who looked older was peering outside the door.

"Uhm, hi." I tried to smile politely.

"Yeah?"

"Is uh..On..Jinki there?"

"Jinki?" I thought I saw him smirk but maybe it was just my imagination.
"Yeah. Jinki's upstairs." He opened the gate.
"Are you his girlfriend?" He looked me up and down.

"Uh, no. No. I'm..I'm his classmate."

"Oh. And I thought things were getting interesting. Come on in." I stepped inside and in his home.

Wow, it's very homey. I looked at the pictures displayed.
Oh look, there's a picture of Onew holding up 3 medals. What a nerd.

And here's a picture of him with his parents.
So he's an only child. I stared at the picture.

"Go up. It's the second door on your left." The kid said and disappeared in the kitchen.

Go up?

Can't Onew come down instead?

This is so embarrassing. Going up to his room, I mean.
What if he opens the door and he's in boxers or something?!

What am I supposed to do?!

I went to the kitchen and knocked on on the wall.
"Uh, hello?"

The kid looked up from chopping meat.

"What?"

"Can't Onew...uh..just come down? I just need to give him something." I said in a small voice.

He shook his head."As if. I've been trying to get him out of his room since this morning but he doesn't want to. Keeps on making all kinds of excuses. His toenails hurt, his funny bone tickles him when he stands up..You wouldn't believe the excuses he keeps on making." He makes a face.
"Just go on up. It's no issue." Then he went back to chopping meat.

I gulped and slowly went up the stairs. Second door on the left..

It was a pearl aqua door, with a sign outside: the president is in.
I snorted, he is so feeling the president thing.

Then I knocked. One tiny knock.

No answer.

Two knocks.

"My hamstrings hurt, Junsu hyung, just leave my snack there." He shouted.

"Uhm...it's me, Onew."

"Who's there? Is that you Taemin?" He shouted again.

Taemin? Does my voice sound like a boy or does Taemin's voice sound like a girl?

"Uhm..no, it's me--" The door suddenly opened.

"Taem--Maki!" He looked surprised.
"Hey. What are you doing here?" he still looks surprised.

"Uhm..I brought your homework." I patted my backpack and smiled feebly. He laughed.

"Come on in." He opened the door widely. I looked down.

Oh thank goodness, he's in pajamas.

But he's in a sleeveless shirt.
Oh. I've never noticed those muscles in his arms before..

I shook my head. Focus, Maki! You're here to visit! Not to ogle Onew's biceps!

"So..how are you?" I entered the room and he closed the door.

He sat on the bed. "I'm fine now." He grinned widely.

I looked around the room. It was neat, considering he's a boy. There a study table with piles of paper, a lampshade, and a notebook. On his bedstand was a framed picture of him and his friends. He was at the center, wearing the biggest smile out of them all.
On his corkboard, there were all sorts of reminders about his duties. There was a CD player, but no TV.

Guess he didn't like distractions too.

"So what happened at school today?"

"Nothing much. It was pretty...quiet today."
Or maybe I was the quiet one?

"Really? I was expecting chaos since I wasn't around." He laughed.

"Yeah, right." I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, why don't you sit?" He patted the space on his bed next to him.

"There?"

"Yes." He looked at me strangely.

"In your bed?" I squeaked.

"Uhm..yes." He looks confused.
Then he laughed getting my predicament.

"Hey, I'm not going to do anything bad." He smiled teasingly. "I promise."

I laughed weakly. "I didn't say anything." and I sat on the very edge of his bed.

He looked at me curiously.

"Oh! I almost forgot." I gave him the food I bought for him.

"Here."

"What's this?" He opens the package.
"Hey!" His face brightens up.
"CHICKEN!" He opens it eagerly.
"THANK YOU!" He looks like a kid who just saw Santa Claus.

"You're welcome." I held back a laugh.

He places it in his bedstand.
"Anything else?"

"Well.." I took out my notebook.
"I took notes for you. Oh, and here's my notebook. You can borrow it first, and we had a quiz at math. I already talked to Professor Soo Man for you, he's letting you take a special quiz." I was saying all this fast because I was trying not to notice the fact that as I was speaking, Onew kept on inching closer to me.

"Thank you." He smiled.

"It's no problem." I smiled tightly. He was really beside me now. I stood up quickly.
"So..that's all I came for." I laughed nervously.
"To give you your chicken and your homework and to see if you're fine, which you are." I picked up my bag hurriedly.
"See you around."

But he held my arm fast.

"Where are you going?" He looked at me.

"Home." My small voice came back.

He laughed. "You're acting so weird today, Mak. It's like you're afraid of me or something." He pouted.
"Is it because we're in my room? I swear I'm not planning anything bad." He held up his hands.
"Plus, you got one wrong so you can't go yet." He smiles.

"Huh?" I was still nervous.

"I'm not fine yet, see?" He points to the bruises in his arms.

"Oh." I stared at the bruises.

"I'm not fine at all. They really hurt." I could tell he was faking the I'm-in-pain voice but I did owe him for helping me with the bad guys yesterday.

“How come you didn't treat them a while ago?”

“I didn't know how.”

I frowned. What a liar.

“What about that guy downstairs? Doesn't he know how?”

“My cousin, Junsu hyung? Nah. He knows nothing about treating wounds. So..” He pouted. “Won't you be my nurse?”

I sighed inwardly. "Do you have a first aid kit?" I said briskly. I would treat his wounds, then I would go.
I swear.

He nods then grins, getting up and rummaging in his closet.
"Here. I think everything's there." He hands the kit to me.

"Okay, sit." I instructed.

He sat close to me and I got everything I needed: bandages, medicine, alcohol, etc.
"Ready? This will sting only a little." I put alcohol in the cotton to clean his wounds first, I was about to apply it when I noticed him smiling widely.

"What are you so happy about?"

He shook his head. "Nothing." He closes his mouth shut but his eyes were twinkling.
I looked at him suspiciously then applied the alcohol.
I saw him wincing a little but he was trying to control it.

"Does it hurt?" I wasn't used seeing him like that.

"It's fine." He smiles.

When he got used to the pain, he started to ask me different questions which I answered to the best of my knowledge.
Like our history class lessons, what was the coverage of our math quiz, etc.

"So, what does Mika think about our dates?"

"Mika? Wait.." I stared at him.

“Dates?”

"I mean our teaching sessions." He grins.

"Uhm..Mika?" I repeated, stalling.

"Yes. She's your bestfriend, right?"

"Well...she...uh..doesn't really know about this yet."

"Why not?" He looked confused.

"Uhm..." How do I tell him that I'm still not comfortable about telling it to anyone?
"She's busy. You know. With her clubs. That's why we haven't really talked yet. You know, a real talk."
I fibbed.

"Ah." He nods.

I applied the medicine to his bruises quietly, then he asks me something really weird.
"Do you remember one of my very first questions to you? Back when you were asking me to teach you?"

"Hm?" I absently dabbed at his wounds.

"You never really answered my question."

"Uh huh.."

"So..will you answer it now and truthfully?"

"Uh huh..." I started to apply the bandages, I wasn't really listening to him since I wanted to do a good job on this.

"So..answer it."

"What were you saying again?" I looked at him blankly.

"My question."

"What was your question again?"

He blushed a little.
"Have you ever been in love?"

I stopped putting on the bandages.
"What?" I stared at him.

"You said you would answer it now AND truthfully." He reminded me.

"Uh...Hey... wait! Why do you need to know that anyway?!"

"It's just a yes or no question."

"But why?"

"No reason." He looked down.
"Come on, you said you would answer."

"No." I muttered, blushing.

"What?" He looked at me.

"No. Okay? I've never been in love before." I didn't look at him.

"Well..do you like anyone right now?"

"What sort of question is that, Onew?" I avoided his gaze.

"Because.." This time he stared at the ceiling.
"What if, you know, just theoretically speaking..I like you?" He still wasn't looking at me.

"What?" My voice squeaked again.

"What if I...like you?" This time, he slowly turned his gaze at me.

"I..." I looked at his arm, anywhere really, just not at his face.
"Oh, I missed a bruise here." I clumsily tried to get the bandage to cover up his bruise.
"This will only take a minute."
I raised the bandage to his arm shakily but he held my hands first, setting it down.

"Is it okay?"

"What's okay?" My voice was shaky as well. I stared down, his hands were still holding mine.

What's happening?

And why is this so weird?

And why can't I just stand up and go? I've never been this weak. He had held my hand before, but it never felt like this.

"That I like you." I felt his gaze on me.

"L-like me?" I laughed nervously.
"Well, I like you too Onew! I like all my friends, that's why they're my friends!" I said quickly, still avoiding his gaze.

"No." He tilted my face to his.
"Not like friends. More like....this." Then his face went nearer and he closed his eyes.
The next thing I knew, he was kissing me.

My eyes widened.
My first kiss! Oh my god!
And it's with Onew.

His hands left mine and went to the side of my face.
Slowly, my eyes closed as well.
And I began to kiss him back.

ONEW'S POV

I don't know what's gotten into me.
I don't know where where I got the courage.
All I know is that I don't want this moment to end.

I kissed her.

Yes, I felt her surprise. I felt her reluctance.
And I felt her slowly kiss me back.
I smiled into the kiss.

Yes, she's my first.

MAKI'S POV.

I don't know why I started to kiss him.
I don't really know why.

This is exactly why I wanted to leave early!
In the books I've read before, and especially in the movies Mika always forces me to watch, the girl always gets kissed by the guy when they're in his/her room.
Sometimes, they even go further.

But always, ALWAYS.
THERE'S A KISS!

It's just that I never expected it to happen to me.
Me. An anti-social nerd. Who's never even been on a date.

Then I heard something.
A door opening widely.

"Onew hyung!!" Taemin sang happily.

"OH MY GOD!" I heard Key scream.

"Cover Taemin's eyes!" Jonghyun shouted and Minho obliged.

"Hey wait! What's going on?" Taemin tried to take Minho's hands off his eyes.

"Nothing!" I pushed Onew away and stood up quickly and got my things, my face flaming.
"I have to go." I nearly stumbled.

"Wait! Maki!" Onew stood up quickly too.

"Enjoy your chicken Onew. Bye!" I almost ran out and down the stairs.

I heard Onew calling my name but Key was already firing questions at him.
"What's going on?! I knew it! You two are together, aren't you!?...."

I blushed more and nearly bumped to Junsu-sshi.
"Hey, you're going home already?"

"Yes." I choked.
"Thank you..uh, Junsu sshi." I bowed and hurried out.

Once I was outside, I slowed down a little.
I looked up at Onew's window. The blinds were down but I can see their shadows. The five of them were standing and Minho and Jonghyun were even blocking Onew's path, judging from their raised arms, and I can even see Key's exaggerated hand gestures.

What happened up there,
I thought to myself, still staring up,
can never ever happen again.


class notes
onew-icon-3.jpg
I am sorry. I cannot resist Taemin's spread leg dance. nor the famous Onewscles. (I'm sorry for making up terms. LOL.) and I had just to put them in somewhere in this fic. WHAHAHA. XD There is every bit of a erted fangirl in all of us. ROFL.
And yes, it's Junsu hyung, from DBSK. Yay~ haha. :>>
 
 
 
OH, and HELLO to the new students~! THANKS FOR ENROLLING! keke :>