✎LESSON 2: Got Chocolate?

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎
"Onew-sshi, where exactly are you taking me?" I panted. He was dragging me for some time now.
 
"To the classroom." He was doing the crazy talk again.
 
"Uh, Onew-sshi, I hate to break it to you, but the classroom is in the opposite direction. About 120 meters from here." I put my hands on my hips and looked around.
"We're in the neighborhood already."

"Hey! You live in the same neighborhood too?" He grinned.

"Yeah. My house is the first one when you turn left." I answered

"Perfect! That makes things easier." He rubbed his hands excitedly.
"This might be the best lesson I'll ever have to give." he muttered while jogging again.

"What's that?" I panted again,trying to keep up with him. I am so not a fit person. I'm normal weight, thanks to my genes, but I don't exercise at all.
Except maybe for brain exercises, which I must say, is really fun.

"Nothing." He whipped around to face me and smiled again.

"Can you slow down a little?" I pleaded.

"Come on now! You're fast in answering class exercises but you sure are a slowpoke--physically speaking." He kidded.
I scoffed at him and tried to increase my speed.

"Here we are!" He said happily. He is just way too jolly. Where is all that energy coming from anyway?
 
Then I saw where he took me.

"Wait. The park? You dragged me to the park?" I was annoyed, really annoyed.

"Yup! Hey wait, are you mad?" He asked, looking at my face carefully.

I sighed. "Well, no--"

"Great!" He said, cutting me off and smiling again.
"You said you wanted to learn dating,right?" He grabbed my hand, not an unpleasant feeling, I have to admit. He has these soft, big hands that I wouldn't mind holding all day.

He directed me to a bench and we sat there in silence, observing everything.
At first, I was uncomfortable. Why are we here anyway?

"Er, Onew-sshi, what exactly are we doing here?" I finally asked.

He just smiled. "Having your first lesson." He closed his eyes, enjoying the soft breeze.

My first lesson? In a park? Sitting here on a bench?

"What exactly am I supposed to learn from all this?" I asked again.

He opened his eyes and looked at me. "Well--"

"Ah! Wait! I know!" I snapped my fingers.
"We're going to observe the couples, right?" I smiled for the first time since our so-called lesson began.
"That's actually not a bad idea, Onew-sshi!" I praised him.
Maybe now, I can find the reasons to prove my theories wrong and to really focus already without arguing with the book everytime I open it.
 
I scanned the park.
"There's one!" I discreetly pointed to a happy looking couple and setting my sights on them to observe.

"Uhm..that's not really the reason why we're here." He stared ahead, his tone serious.

"It's not?" I asked, confused.
 
We sat in silence again.
What could Onew-sshi be planning?

Finally, he spoke up. "Maki, what is it that you think we're doing right now?"

"Err...wasting time?" I answered jokingly, but in the back of my mind, I am so sure that's what we're doing.

It's either that or he's trying to get a breather from all that walking around. He's probably tired. I know I am.

He just laughed and looked off in another direction.

"Hey!" his face brightened when the tinkling sound of the bell filled the air.
"Ice cream!" He stood up and rushed off to the ice cream man like a kid, then stopped for a second and ran back to me.
"What flavor?" He asked me suddenly.

"Flavor?" I asked,confused.

"Yeah." He said, his voice taking on an urgent ring to it. He seems to be in dire need of ice cream or something.

"Am I supposed to give you my favorite flavor or suggest a flavor or..." I trailed off, unsure of what he wanted.

He stared at me for a second, looking like he was thinking. "Oh wait, I know. Be right back." He winked.
 
WAIT. DID HE JUST WINKED AT ME? I involuntarily blushed.
I am so not used to guys winking at me. Not at all. Especially guys who are, okay, I admit it, as cute as Onew. The only other guy who winked at me was Taecyeon, this classmate of ours who hits on all the girls. And even his wink didn't leave me flustered like Onew's did. It just made me want to punch him in the face. If only I didn't have such weak arms. I coughed and fanned my cheeks.

Stay focused, Maki. Focus. See that boy? You need to get his spot and top dating subject. Should be a piece of cake,right? I repeated this mantra in my head, trying to convince myself.
 
When suddenly an ice cream came out of nowhere and right in front of my face. I almost jumped.

"I got you chocolate!" Onew held out the ice cream to me, a winning smile on his handsome face.

"Uhm, thanks." I felt shy all of a sudden when I took the ice cream from him.

He grinned again and sat next to me. "You like chocolate right?" He asked, happily up his own vanilla flavored ice cream.
I didn't answer right away. I just stared at him then at my ice cream.

"Oh no..." He grimaced, when he noticed my stares. "Oh... Maki, I'm so sorry. I thought you like chocolate. Don't worry, I can buy you another one. Let me just..." He fished for coins in his pocket.

"No! No!" I said quickly. "It's fine. I love chocolate!" I clarified.

"Oh." He smiled, visibly relieved. "Good. I was running out of coins." He grinned jokingly again.
"But seriously though, were you touched or something when I gave you your ice cream? Your expression was like..." He tried to imitate what, I guess, was my expression a while ago.

"How did you know I like chocolate?"
He smiled easily. "Easy. All girls like chocolate."

I frowned. Way to generalize. I hate that. Not all girls are the same.

"Is that so?" My comment comes out a little coldly than I intended.

He glanced at me and broke into his trademark grin. "Yes, it is so. Even though girls say they're on a diet, even if they say strawberry or vanilla is better, the truth is you're all chocoholics at heart."

"That's not necessarily true." I can't help but argue.

"Oh really?" He looked at my ice cream then all around the park, all the while smiling this smug looking smile. Although it looked kind of like a fail since Onew can't really look smug...

My stare dropped at my ice cream which has now progressed to being just a cone.
I faked a coughed.
 
"Well why don't you tell me your side then? Seeing as you hate ice cream and all...oh, and being anti-chocolate." he emphasized the last word while faking a serious face.

I glared at him then smiled a little. It did sound funny since I had already devoured my ice cream while he still had his.

"It's a long story." I warned jokingly.

"I've got time." I was surprised when he handed his ice cream to me, removed his watch, pocketed it, got the ice cream from me again, and inched closer.
"Lots of time." He winked.
 
Again. AGAIN WITH THAT WINK.
 
I tried my best to ignore it though and directed my look to the kids playing on the swings.
"Well, it's no big deal really. My mom has this thing about making sure we have nice teeth--"I broke off as he stared at my teeth.
"it's impolite to stare, you know." I kidded.

"Sorry." he said, beaming down at his shoes.
"You do have nice lips--er, teeth." He blushed, still looking down.

"As I was saying, " I blushed, breaking off into a smile.
"My umma has this thing about teeth since she used to be a dentist. She said that if we wanted to have a beautiful smile, the teeth is the most important thing. She told my sister and I that we don't need to dress impeccably or fuss about our hair so much if we have nice smiles.
For her, it was the ultimate accessory." I continued as he listened patiently.
"So my umma made sure we stayed away from chocolates and candies. But basically chocolates. We were only allowed to eat them during special occasions and even then, she almost always makes sure it isn't chocolate flavored. We always got strawberry, mango, or any other flavor, just not chocolate. I've always loved chocolate but over time, I've learned to suppress my want for it."

"Is your appa okay with that?" He asked.

I became silent. How do I answer his question without making things awkward?

"My appa...he...uhm...he...used to buy us chocolates all the time when my sister and I were little." I broke off and exhaled, keeping my emotions in check before I continued.

"Are you okay?" He asked, looking concerned.

"Yes." I forced a smile for him and continued.
 
"'Well, does he still buy you chocolates today? Appas usually buy everything for their daughters!"

I blinked fast, "My appa already passed away, Onew." I whispered then pressed my lips together.
Okay, I told you guys I'm really bad with people and conversations! I can't believe I said that in such a forward way!

"Oh!" His face crumpled into one of regret. "We don't need to talk about this." He suddenly stopped me.
"I'm so sorry, I didn't know..." He took my hand.

"It's okay." My voice was no louder than a whisper. "talking about it helps." I murmured what my best friend, Mika, always used to tell me.
Onew looked at me patiently, not saying a word, but I have to admit that his warm hand in mine really helps in keeping my emotions under control.
"He declared Sunday as Chocolate Day. Then he would take us out to different ice cream shops, stores, and places and treat us to chocolate until my sister and I had to ask him and my umma to go home. But...but...on that one particular sunday," I broke off again and exhaled.
"He said he was planning something different for our chocolate day. The thing is, i
t was raining so hard. My mom didn't want him to go anymore but my sister and I were looking forward to it all week that we still pestered him to go anyway. In the end, he gave in, and we were so excited." I stopped, pursing my lips again and Onew squeezed my hand. I noticed that he had thrown his ice cream away to the bin already and was completely focused on my story, so I decided to continue.
"We were so excited...so, so excited. Especially when my appa called my umma that he was on his way home. So when an hour had already passed and appa still wasn't home, my mom became worried." I remembered my umma's tears when she opened the door and saw two cops outside our house. I stopped and closed my eyes.

Onew gripped my hand tighter.

My eyes opened again. "T-they said He...he...met an accident on the way home. They showed us the wrecked car, and gave us plastics and plastics of chocolates. It seemed like we had enough to last us for a year."I blinked, looking down blindly on Onew's hand in mine.

"My mom took them but she didn't let us eat them. My sister and I never got to taste them. That's when she started to drill on us her teeth theory. As a kid, I believed her immediately and set my mind to disliking chocolates. But as I grew up, I suspected she was just hiding behind her theory to help my sister and I forget about dad. Especially because we blamed ourselves, my sister and I. But over time, we learned to cope and accept that maybe, it was just really time for him to go...The only thing that's cheering me up is the thought that at least, in heaven, he probably has endless supplies of chocolates." I smiled emptily. It's been 10 years since I last saw my dad, and it took me a year before I could open up to Mika about him and it only took Onew a day.

Maybe because he brought up my dad for our very first conversation. No one else did.

I realized that the pain wasn't as great as before. I wanted to be able to talk about my appa fondly, but I know it'll take me a while.

I looked at Onew and he seemed to be deep in thought.
"It's good that I got you chocolate then." he said, his reaction wasn't something I expected to hear.

"It is?" I looked at my hand which he was still gripping. He noticed it and let it go, smiling.

"I think...that you shouldn't part with the very thing that connects you to your dad. It seems simple, but I now know that chocolate holds a deeper meaning to you than it would for anyone else. And judging from the way your eyes lit up when I gave you your chocolate ice cream, I know you're still in love with it. I think there's a reason why your dad liked to give you and your sister chocolates, he knows it's the very thing that makes you happy." he smiled at me.
"and besides, no way those beautiful teeth of yours be ruined by an occasional chocolate." He winked at me again.

I laughed a little, realizing in a way, that he was right. I know my mom meant no harm in taking chocolate away from us. But Onew's words made sense. Maybe my dad got us all that chocolate so that we had something to remind us of him all year around.

"I guess...you're right."

"Aren't I? I told you all girls are chocoholics!" he grinned again and I made a face.

"Fine, you win this time." I said grudgingly.

"So tell me about your sister and your mom." I looked at my watch.

"It's already late." I pointed out.

"Really?" he shrugged. "I don't have a watch. And anyway, as far as I know, tomorrow's a free day. We only have two subjects namely english and history both of which you're so terribly good at. We don't have any tests, seatworks, assignments, or recitations scheduled for tomorrow." He enumerated them in his fingers.
"And besides, the great Maki Teppei can take time out from her studies every now and then, right?" He looked at me expectantly.

I sighed hesitantly. Truth is, I didn't want to bore him with my stories. I'm generally an uninteresting person.

"Plus," he holds up a hand, "we don't have our dating subject tomorrow." He smiled triumphantly. He only means that tomorrow really is a free day.

I laughed. "Are you sure you don't have anything important to do?"

He shook his head. "Not as important as this."

"Okay, okay. You win. Don't blame me if you get bored though." I warned him before proceeding to tell him all about my family.

Onew and I were the only ones left in the park when I finally finished my stories and answered all of his questions. He kept it coming nonstop.
"Oh! I should really be getting home already. Umma must be wondering where I am." Call me boring but I don't usually stay out this late.

"I'll go with you." He offered, standing up.

"There's no need. My house is just around the corner." I stood up and was about to get my bag when he grabbed it first, almost tripping over his own feet.

"A lady should never be alone at night." he said firmly, making his voice deeper.

I raised my eyebrows trying to hold back a laugh, but then he already led the way, so I followed him. We walked in silence while he whistled a tune.
"This is me." I said, stopping in front of my house. He stared up at it and smiled.

I got my things from him and was about to thank him when he asked,
"What did you learn today Maki?"

I bit my lip. The lesson! I had totally forgotten all about it!

"Well, the truth is...uhm...I'm not sure what you taught me today." I confessed.
"I'm so sorry--"

"That's cool. That only means we need another lesson." He grinned.
"I'll see you around!" he waved and started to walk away.

I looked at his retreating back. Another lesson? I hope he's seriously going to teach me by the book this time.
 
--

The next day, I walked to my locker, hoping to see Mika to ask what's going on today. Everyone seemed to be buzzing about an assembly or something. I entered my locker combination and got my books and notebooks.

Then I noticed something.

Inside my locker was a toblerone, a hershey bar, and a 6 pack kitkat with a note:

To the girl with the beautiful lips--I mean, teeth,
Just helping you start again where you left off.  ;D