✎LESSON 5: No Tactile Learning, Please!

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎
I woke up at Saturday morning. Saturdays are my favorite. It's a no-class day but for some reason I always feel active but then I always end up relaxing, listening to classical music, reading books, and stuff.

You know, FUN.

So after lunch, I was all set to listening to classical music and opening my, ugh, dating textbook. Truthfully though, dating doesn't turn me off so much now.

Is it because of Onew?

I shook my head. He's hardly teaching me anything valuable.

But then I found myself smiling dreamily at what Onew and I were doing the previous days.
I blinked, snapping out of my reverie.

I sighed and went back to reading. Come on Maki, STUDY!

I read off the chapter two contents without much enthusiasm. Once again, I'm thinking that dating subject is an utter waste of time.
I wish we just had literature. Shakespeare, Byron, Shelley...that subject would be a dream.
I went back to reading and almost fell asleep when I heard a knock on my door.

"Maki?" I lifted my head and opened the door.

"Yes mom?" I stretched, trying to wake myself up.
"You have a visitor." My mom smiled.
"Hm? I wonder what Mika wants." Mika was the only one who ever visits me. Being that she's my friend and all.
"He seems nice though, and cute." My mom teased.

 
My brain was still asleep though so I hadn't really processed what my mom just said.
So just imagine my surprise when I came down the stairs and saw Onew sitting at our couch!

 
"Onew!" I was very shocked. I immediately glanced down at my outfit. I was wearing shorts.
"Uhm..uhm...wait here, okay?" I dashed off the stairs.

"Mom!" I hissed at her when I saw her in the hallway. "Why didn't you tell me it was Onew?"
I hurriedly went to the closet to change my shorts.
My mom poked her head in. "You didn't tell me your boyfriend was coming." I can almost hear her shrugging.
"He's not my boyfriend!" I rummaged through my closet and saw my blue jeans and put them on.
"Who is he then?" My mom sat on my bed.
"He's my tu-- He's my classmate and the class president." I explained, folding my shorts and setting it down.
"Oh. Then why did he bring you--"
 
Before my mom finished her sentence, I had already dashed down the stairs.
"Hey Onew, what's up?" I asked, trying to appear calm and not someone who was panicking like a weirdo just five seconds ago.
He stood off the couch and smiled slyly.
"Did you change your clothes?"
"Uh, I was about to go out anyway." I lied.
"Really?" He looked a little disappointed.
"Where are you going?"
"Going?" I racked my brain for a credible place to use an excuse of why I needed to change my shorts.
"Yes. Ooh! Ooh! Can I guess? Hmmm...Is it to the convenience store?" He grinned.
I smiled in relief. "Yes! Totally. You're a good guesser!"
He nodded proudly. "I'll accompany you." He offered.
"Oh, you don't need to--"

"Your house is really nice." He cut me off, looking around.
"So, you ready?"
"Ready?"

"Oh wait, I almost forgot!" He handed me a bouquet of flowers. They were roses. My mouth hang open.

Is he really giving me the roses? Or...

"Is this for me? Or for my mom?" I asked unsurely.
He laughed out loud. "Your mom is lovely but why would I give her flowers?" He really seemed amused.
"Because yesterday at the shop.." I stopped, remembering my embarrassment when I thought that the rose he was holding was for me.
 
He just looked at me curiously,
"Shall I erase your doubts then, milady?" He said gallantly and dropped to his knees.
"Stop it!" I said nervously and looked around to see if my mom and sister are in sight.
Thankfully they weren't.

"I give this roses to you, oh Maki, milady. As a sign that you--and no one else--is the one I had in mind when I saw these flowers."

I was taken aback. Is he for real?
He smiled and got up. "Take them already." He them to me, almost shyly.

I took it and bit my lip. "Uh, thanks." I said, turning my back to him to place the flowers in the vase but also mainly to hide my blush and the fact that there's a growing smile on my face.

I took a deep breath to steady myself. So this is what it feels when a girl receives flowers from a guy.

"I meant what I said you know." I turned to Onew and he was looking at me seriously.
"I really did think of you when I saw the roses at Key's shop yesterday."
"Yesterday?"
He nodded, smiling a little.
"I just had to go back today to buy it for you today since you seemed allergic yesterday." He raised his eyebrows teasingly.

I laughed then stopped. My lie was caught. Why was I laughing?

"I assume you're not allergic today?"
I bit back a smile and tried to look nonchalant.
"No, I think I don't have any allergies scheduled today."
 
He chuckled. 
"So, let's go?"
"Go where?" I asked, confused.
"Uhm, to the store?" He looked confused as well.
"Oh right! Wait here."
 
I dashed upstairs again and knocked on my mom's bedroom and peered inside.
"Mom?"
"Hm?" My mom was watching Secret Garden.
"Can I have some money?"
"What for?"
"I'm just going to buy something at the store."
"What are you going to buy?" Her attention was focused on the screen.
"Err...food."
"Get some from my wallet. Oh and can you buy me some crackers too? I want to eat some while watching."
"Okay." I went off and grabbed some bills from her wallet and went down.

Onew was looking at the family pictures. He looked up when he saw me.
"Do you know that you look like your dad?"
"Yes." I beamed at him. I was proud that I looked like my dad. I think he's quite handsome.
"And you even had chocolate in your teeth in this picture! And you're missing a tooth!" He laughed, studying the pictures slowly.
"Okay, okay, time to go." I dragged him out of the house.

We walked to the nearest convenience store while he whistled happily.
"Call me, my name, today is exactly your day, I'll do anything for you~" He sang.
"What song is that?" I asked.
He blushed. "Just something I wrote."
"You write songs?" I asked in surprise
"Yeah, but it's not very good though. Jjong writes better." He smiled fondly.
"Well, maybe you can sing them to me sometime." I suggested. He had a pretty good voice. It was smooth and deep.
He looked pleased. "Mmmm...We'll see. Only the most deserving can hear my songs."
"I thought it wasn't very good?"
"I was bluffing."
I shook my head and laughed.

When we entered the store Onew got a push cart.
"We only need a basket. I'm not buying much." I felt for the 10,000 won in my pocket.
"Don't worry about it." He circled the aisles.

I looked for junk food and grabbed some of my favorites, my sister's, and the crackers my mom was requesting.
"Let's get this too." Onew grabbed 3 packs of Kitkat.
"Hey, don't get so much." I warned.

We went to another aisle and he grabbed a dozen eggs.
"What's that for?" I looked up at him in disbelief.
"It's my favorite." He also grabbed ramyeon noodles and sodas.
"Hey! Stop it! I only have..." I noticed the other people looking at us.
"I only have 10,000 won with me." I lowered down my voice.
"I told you not to worry about it." He said breezily.
"What? You know the owner of this shop or something?" I scoffed.

We went to the checkout counter and he began to unload the stuffs from our cart. I watched as the numbers go up and exceeded the money in my pocket.
"Onew!" I said, panicking. He was staring at the food happily.
"Listen, look after these and I'm going to dash home and get some more money. Wait for me, okay?"

I turned to exit the counter when he grabbed my hand.
"Where are you going?" he asked, confused.
"To get more money at home!" I hissed.
"I told you to not get so much. I only have 10--"

He snorted, rolled his eyes and took out his wallet and paid for the bill.
"Please keep the change, omonim!" He said, bowing and smiling politely at the omonim.

He carried the two bags easily and whistled his song again. I didn't move from my spot.
"Aren't you coming?" he stared at me.
"Aigoo, you lovebirds are so cute." The omonim cooed.
"Omonim, he's not--"
"Kamsahamnida, Omonim." He beamed, taking my hand.
"My yobo here is a bit dazed, I apologize, she does that all the time. But she's so cute that I still end up falling anyway." He grinned.

The omonim laughed.
"That's sweet."
 
He winked and pulled me outside the store and we finally started to walk, me in silence, and him singing softly his song.
 
He looked at me sideways when he noticed I wasn't saying a word.
"Is something wrong?"
"Why did you pay for that again?" I asked.
"Because I wanted to." He swung the bags around.
"Stop doing that." I said.
"Doing what? Swinging the bags? Sorry! You're right! I forgot we bought eggs!" He smiles sheepishly.
"Not that! Well yeah, a little of that, but the fact that you always pay for everything! You know I can handle it. All you had to do was wait." I frowned.
"Why are you mad? It's not a big deal. I can pay for it, no problem. I don't like to see any girl paying for me."
"But I have money!" I whined.
"So do I." He shrugged.
"Just don't do it again." I said and pulled out the 10,000 won in my pocket.

 
"Here, take this!" I told him.
"What is it? You don't need to pay me to carry the bags."
"It's not for carrying the bags, dummy! It's for my share!" I almost shouted.
He laughed. "Keep it."
"No, you keep it."
"No, you keep it."

I didn't say anything and instead I just jammed the money inside his pocket.
"Yah! Maki Teppei! Why are you touching me there? Are you secretly a ?" He smiled teasingly.
"Stop it already!" I was upset. He stopped walking.
“Hey, I'm sorry. I know you're not a ." He said gently,
"It's not that!" I said.
"Then what is it?"
"I don't want you to pay for me anymore."
"Why not?"
"It's embarrassing. You're--You're not my oppa." I blushed, but it was true, though!
"Yes, I am." I stared at him.
"I'm older than you, right? By a year or less, I think." He smiled, clearly thinking of another definition of oppa.

 
I cleared my throat. "Regardless. It's embarrassing for me because you pay for me all the time."
"But I don't mind."
"But I do."

He looked at me for a while then he stared up."Do you want to go dutch then?"
"We're not on a date." I muttered.
"What's that?"
"I said, I'd pay you everything I owe you." I looked at him.
"Are you going to feel happy if you do that?"
"Yes."
"I see. But I want to be happy too, so you'll need to comply with my condition.” He looked at me seriously.
“What is it?”
“If you want to pay me, you'll have to pay me plus interest."
“What?! Why?"
"That's the only way I'll allow you to pay me during our dates."
"This is not a date! And that's a tad unfair." I complained.
"6% interest. Deal?" He took out his hand.
"Fine." I said shaking it. I really didn't want him to pay for me anymore.
"I'll give you the 600 won later at my house."
"Hey, I was kidding."
"Well, I'm not."

He turned serious. "I'd be really upset if you pay me."
"And I'd be really upset if I didn't pay you." He sighed.
"Why are you being so difficult? Most girls would like it if boys pay for everything."
"Well, I'm not one of them." But the list I made pops into my mind.
"But your l--never mind." He turned to me.
"Let's make a deal. As a friend, this is the last time I'll pay for you. Okay? We'll go dutch in our succeeding dates."
"It's not a date! But okay."
At least I won't be uncomfortable with him paying for me anymore.

When we entered my house, he set the bags down on the table and I separated my own food. I went upstairs and gave my mom her crackers and left my sister's favorite food in her room.
 
When I went down, I saw Onew taking out his own food.
"Aren't you going to take that home? Why are you taking it out of the plastic?"
"It's not for me." He continued to take the food out of the plastic bags.
"It's for you guys." He smiled at me
"For us?!" I asked in surprise. We didn't need a dozen eggs.
"I make a really mean ramyeon." He grinned.
"I-I see." I was thinking of how I'll explain to my mom about the eggs and the ramyeon.
"I'll make you some."
"No!" I said loudly.
He pouted. "But it's better than Wooyoung's!"
"Maybe later." I said, feeling weird.
"Promise?"

I just coughed in response.
"I'll take that as Yes-Onew-I-Promise,-I-Want-To-Taste-Your-Ramyeon-So-Badly-Yes."

"Why are you here again?" I changed the topic.
"We have a lesson today, remember?" He suddenly pulled out a huge book from his bag.
"Ta~da!" He said with a flourish.
 
It was the dating textbook.
 
"Where should we study?" He looked around.
"In your room?" He looked at me innocently but his eyes were twinkling.
"Are we really going to study? You know. The right way?" I asked hopefully.
"Yes! You didn't want hands on learning so we're doing it the way you want to."
My smile grew bigger. "That's really great Onew! Wait right here. I'll just go get my book."

He nodded, looking a little amused. I quickly went up and got my book and my bestfriends--my notebook and pen.
"I'm ready!" I sang when I went down.
"You're really in your element when it comes to traditional learning." He mumbled.
"It's what I do best." I flopped down on the couch beside him.
"Aren't we going to go up in your room?" He asked, trying to look innocent but those twinkles are really a dead giveaway.
"No." I said, already opening my textbook.
"Fine." He huffed, pretending to be disappointed. I snorted and opened my bag of chips.

"So, what should we study first?" I asked, munching.
"What don't you understand?" He took some of my chips.

 
Hmm...I pointed to several points in Chapter Two like Courtship , Casual Dating, and Grand Gesture.

"Is that all?" He was smirking.
"I understand these terms," I glared at him. "I just need YOU to PROVE them to me." I looked at him expectantly.
"How the heck am I going to do that?" He looked at me weirdly. This time, I was the one who smirked.
"I guess you can't do it then...and I expected much from you." I shook my head, trying to look sad.
"I can do it." He said stubbornly. "Tactile learning..." I heard him mutter
"No! No! No tactile learning today, remember?" I reminded him.
He smiled ruefully "Fine. I'll find a way. We can only discuss the terms though."
"That's all I wanted since day one!" I told him.
"Oh. you should have told me!"
"I did!"
"Oh..." He puffed his cheeks and proceeded to read the terms and their definition.

 
"Okay, it says here that courtship is the mechanism used by two people to remove both the physical and emotional barriers needed to come together and be recognized as a loving couple. "
"Uh-huh." He ate some more chips.
"All clear with that?"
"Yes, that is when a guy woos the girl he likes right?"
"Yup. As far as I know, it's not much evident in the US or here in Korea. But it says here that in countries like the Philippines, the guy actually asks the girl if he can court her before he really courts her and the girl has to give her yes before they become an official couple." *munch.*
"Oh" *munch munch*. I said in fascination.
"That would be nice, getting the girl's permission before they become a couple." *chew chew*
I said wistfully.
"Korean boys are like that too!" He's munching a little defensively, in my opinion.
"They don't woo girls." I made a face and munched again
"Sure we do!" *chomp*
"No you don't!" *chomp chomp*
"Yes I do!" *swallows*
Then he frowned. "Hey wait, when did this argument just became about me?...Yes we do!"
*Digs in the bag of chips*

 
"I don't want to talk about this anymore." *digs in the bag of chips too, but only finds crumbs.*
"Yah! You took the last chips!"
"Did I? I wasn't eating." He tries to look innocent.
"Yes you were! And those were my favorite!" I said a little mournfully.
"Sorry. I bought you 3 bags of Kitkat anyway, you can eat those." He stands up and roots around the plastic bag.
"Here." He gives me the pack.
"This was for me?" I asked, touched.
"Who did you think they were for? Isn't Kitkat your favorite?" He goes to get the sodas he bought, opened two, gave me one and pores over the book again.

"Thank you...” I smiled at him.
”Hm, let's talk about something else." I looked for the two other terms I highlighted.
"Here, casual dating."
He reads the definition quickly and nodded. "Hmm..casual dating is when two people who are looking to get to know one another better, interacts romantically, without commitments or promises. Either or both parties can be casually dating other people." I nodded.
 
When he finished reading, I raised my hand
"Yes Ms. Teppei?" He pretends to fix imaginary glasses in his eyes.
"If courtship exists, then why would there be casual dating?" I asked.
"Eh? I'm not sure I understand your question." He raised his eyebrows.
"Isn't it that courtship occurs when the guy really likes the girl? As in he's serious about her? So why does casual dating exist? It's like love is being thrown aside for some fun." I explained and looked to him for answers.
"I think that happens in two different situations."
"But still, isn't casual dating an insult?"
He sips his soda and frowns a little, thinking. "I think it's kind of like an experiment. To see if you guys are ready for a serious relationship."
"There should be no testing ground for love." I said defiantly.

He closes the book "Would you just jump in a relationship all of a sudden?" He stares at me.
"No." I shook my head "But I wouldn't go for casual dating either."
"What would you do then?"
"I'd be friends with him first. Get to know him very well. How he is in every aspect, his moods, his thinking and philosophies." I said truthfully

 
"So if I ask you to casually date me, you wouldn't want to?" I made a face.
"Uhmm...objectively speaking, no." I didn't look at him.
"Let's say that you got to know me very well already. Would you want to be with me even though you don't know hands-on how I am as a boyfriend?" He questioned me.
"It depends." I said, finally looking up at him.
"It depends on what?"
"On... what my heart is telling me." I said softly, embarrassed by my cheesy answer.
He was silent for a moment then he smiles. "Good answer. I think you can get your A+ now." He holds my hand and flips it, palm up, and draws and imaginary A+ on it.
 
I laughed and took my hand back.
"Thank you master Yoda!" I giggled.
"I don't look like Yoda!" He pretended to look angry.
"Maybe in a few years..." I squinted my eyes and pretend to scrutinize him while laughing.
He just smiles. I realized that he has the kind of smile that makes you freeze and just admire it.

Or is it just me?

"What?" He asks when he noticed me staring.
"Your...uhm...your eyes disappear when you smile." I said, pursing my lips and looking down.

Where did that come from?

He laughed."I bet you're just in love with me."
I threw my pen at him "In your dreams!"
He grabs my pen and inches closer to me. "I bet I can make you."
"How?" I asked, challenging him, then he stood up.
"When you taste my ramyeon, you'll know!" He gets the eggs and the ramyeon noodles.I stood up and went with him to the kitchen.
 
He expertly whips up 4 bowls of rameon. I sniffed the aroma.
"Mmmm..."
"In love already?" He winks at me and flips the egg.
I stuck out my tongue at him and went back to the living room to fix our things when I saw my mom and my sister coming down the stairs.

"Is that ramyeon I smell?"
"Hi Mrs. Teppei!" Onew poked his head out of the kitchen and grins. He puts the bowls down in the table.
"Let's eat?" He smiles.
"Did you cook this, young man?"

 
He beams happily.

"Hey, it's not bad." My sister says while eating a whole lot. Onew smiles and glances at me.

I tasted it. It's not bad. I smiled a little and I guess he caught it because he grinned his big grin and began eating as well.
"Is it good?" He asked me.
"No. It's bad." I pretended to make a face to show my distaste.
"Hey! Mine's really good. You don't know what's bad until you taste Taemin's Ramyeon! Man, the things he puts in the ramyeon..." He shakes his head.
“It contains chili and honey! HONEY! I had to finish everything because he was looking at me expectantly and happily because the others won't taste it.” He looks scandalized.
“And when he asked me if it was good, Of course, I didn't have the heart to say it wasn't. It was terrible! So I said that yeah, it's good and you know what he did?” He looked at me, his eyes wide.

“What?”

“He gave me another serving! I though I would cry on the spot!” My mom and sister laughed at his story and after a while, my mom and Onew talked about a whole lot, school, family, etc.
They get along well, I can see. He made my mom laugh many times.

"Your sister and I will clean up." My mom smiled. It was clear he had charmed her too.

He thanked my mom for welcoming him and says goodbye to her and my sister.
"Are you going home?"
"Would you like me to stay over?" He said in a seductive voice.
I frowned, thinking. "Hey! Are you...Are you flirting with me?" I asked him directly and with some surprise.
"I don't know how to flirt.” But he was wearing a big smile when he said it.
“Oh.” I guess I was just misreading his actions.
He laughed. “Maki! When will you learn?” He laughs again.
“What?” Was I doing something wrong? Missing something big?
“Nothing. I swear, when you finally learn, I will be the first one you'll see on your doorstep.”
“What the heck are you talking about?”

But he just laughed.
"I'll see you on Monday?"
"We go to the same school and the same classroom." I said bluntly, still annoyed because I don't get what he's saying. When I finally learn? DOORSTEP???
"How stingy." He said, still laughing.

I sighed. "But...uh...Thanks for the Kitkat...and the drinks and for teaching me...and the ramyeon."
"You're welcome!" He said, bowing. "But I was right, wasn't I?"
"Hm?"
"I made you fall in love with me today." He said, walking backwards and out the gate.
"No!" I laughed but deep inside, I was sure of it.

But then I realized, if I was always going to feel this way whenever I'm with Onew,
It's going to take me a lot of convince myself.

class notes
onew-icon-3.jpg
FAST UPDATE~ heehee:>
 
I hope you guys like it! ^^ I like the idea of Onew going shopping and cooking with her. keke.