✎Lesson 19: Mirror, Mirror

✎♥The Dating Subject♥✎

"You have to help me." I said to Mika as we walked down the halls.

"With what?" She looks tense.

"I have to give these to Onew!" I gestured to my coupons.

"Then give them." Her eyes were darting around nervously.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"He'll just throw them in my face."

She finally looked at me. "Do you honestly think," she raised an eyebrow.
"that Onew, class president, second in class, and all around good guy will do that? Throw them in your face?" She put her hands in her hips.

I bent down to open my locker.
"Well...no." I sighed. "But you get what I mean."

"Hmm...Just give it a try. And if it doesn't work, then WE'LL throw them in HIS face." She was trying to open her own lock when I noticed that her hands were shaking.

"Hey," I stared at her trembling hands.
"Are you okay?"

"Yes!" Her voice got unusually loud.

I looked at her weirdly.
"Are you sure? Your hands are shaking."

"Y-yes. I'm sure." She continued to fumble with her lock.

"Well--"

"I have to go!" I looked at her in surprise and saw that her eyes were round. I followed her gaze. It landed on Jonghyun, who was walking down the halls fast.
"Catch you later!" She quickly sprinted away.

"Hey wait!" I called out. "You forgot to get your books!"
I sighed and looked at Jonghyun who also went to his locker, 3 lockers away from mine. He saw me looking and nodded in greeting. I smiled back unsurely.

I wonder what happened?

I went to Mika's locker and got her things since I know her locker combination and got her books for her.
"Here you go." I panted when I gave Mika her books.

"Hey!" She looked up from her desk. "You got my books for me! Thank you!" She looked totally grateful.

"You'll totally need them for English. What was that all about anyway?" I sat on the chair next to her.

"Nothing." She sighed. "I'll tell you later. It's kind of a long story."

"Fine."

"Still...it's great that you know my locker combination, huh? Good thing I had the number lock and not the key lock or you wouldn't have been able to get my books for me since you wouldn't have a spare key and--"

"That's it!" I cried, standing up.

"What's it?" She looks surprised.

"I know how to get these to him finally!" I gave her a hug. "You are such a genius! Thank you!"

"I am?" She coughed. "I mean, yeah, of course I am. I was born a genius but education totally ruined me." She flipped her hair.

"Totally." I went back to my seat.
Now all I need to do is be convincing.

At lunch, Mika ran off again when she saw Jonghyun enter the cafeteria.

What is really going on with these two?!

On the other hand...Now I can do my plan.
I looked around the cafeteria, but he wasn't there at all.
Hmm...Where could he be?
I went out and searched. But I don't see him anywhere.
I sighed. What will I do?

I went out of the field and into the bleachers.
I've never really hung out in here before.
But then, I spotted Mika.
"Mika?" I asked in surprise and walked over to her.

"Who?! Oh, it's you--You scared me!" She looks like she was hiding.

"What's going on?" I narrowed my eyes at her.
"You said you would tell me!"

"Okay, okay." She held up her hands.
"It's Jonghyun, alright?! I'm hiding from him!"

I sat next to her. "And...why exactly would you do that? The Mika I know wouldn't run away from boys especially from the one she likes so much."

She sighed. "This is different, okay? This just feels...weird."

"And do you mind telling me why?"

"Well..."

Flashback (Mika’s POV) [a/n: for emphasis purposes on some parts, I will not italicize the whole flashback]
"Come on, I know where we can practice."

"Uhm, where?"

"Follow me." He started to walk fast.

I'm not a speedy walker at all. I prefer to just take my time. Jonghyun's speed is going to take some getting used to.
"Hey. Wait up!"

"You're such a slowpoke." He stopped and looked at me, shaking his head.
"Give me that!" He suddenly grabbed my bag.

"What are you doing?!" I didn't let go of my bag. He could've totally asked for my bag properly you know, like a real gentleman. pfft.

"Your stupid pink bag weighs a ton and slowing you down! What do you keep in here anyway, anvils?!" He successfully grabbed my bag and hitched it easily in his shoulders.

"Are you just going to make fun of my bag??"

"You should be thankful. People would probably make fun of me for carrying around such a girly pink bag!" He shook his head.

"Well I never asked you to carry it!" I scoffed.

"Is that so?" He stopped walking again and looked at me.
"Here." He tossed HIS bag to me.

"Y-yah!" I clumsily tried to catch it.

"Carry mine. It's as light as a feather anyway. All I have in there is a notebook, a pen, and bottled water."

"Why should I carry your bag?!" I scowled.

He leaned close to me and smiled. "You're my student and I'm the teacher. We all know what that means~" He smirked.

"You were the one who rejected me before! And now you're forcing me into getting taught by you!" I frowned, crossing my arms.

He sighed and looked at me for a while.
I didn't budge, though.
Play hard to get, Mika.
Play hard to get!

He walked near me.
"I know." He suddenly tilted my face to his.
"It was the biggest mistake I ever did." He leaned closer.
My breath started to run short. I feel like melting.
"But if I didn't reject you before.." He looked serious.
"Then I wouldn't have a reason to get closer to you now."

My knees buckled.
I cannot believe it!
This player knows exactly what things to say just to get a girl to fall for him!
Too bad I'm not fooled.

Still...I am going to enjoy this moment of him flirting with me.
It is so...nice. And kind of romantic.

"Well then I don't want to be your student." I huffed, still determined to make him sorry for rejecting me.
"I'm just going to ask for IU's help."

"No way." He scowled. "I don't want anyone else to help you."

"You're such a jerk!"

"I am not. It's just that you're mine...right?" He looked at me innocently then proceeded to hug me.

My mouth dropped open.
YES. YES. I AM ALL YOURS, SEONSAENGNIM!

Flirts are so fun <33

"W-what?" I stuttered instead in his shoulder.

"Well, of course." He finally let go of me.
Seeing my flushed face, his eyes looked amused.
It was obvious he knew the effect he had on me.
"You agreed to be MY student, therefore I am your mentor and I am going to take you under my wing and make you my protege or something. That's why you're mine~ that's all." He continued to look innocent.

I pursed my lips, trying to maintain my composure despite feeling deflated.
We were thinking about different meanings of MINE here.
"I see." I said coolly.

"or it could be that..." He smiled at me and leaned closer again until our faces were only inches apart.
"You're mine because...I like you." He was so close, I felt the air between his lips before I heard his words.

"W-what?" I stammered again. Arrrrrrggg. ><

Suddenly, he broke into a wide smile.
"And she's blushing, folks. As usual. I always have that effect on girls." He leaned away again, smirked and started walking.

WHAT!? WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!
I cannot believe he ruined the moment!!

"Come on now!" His back was turned to me and he was walking fast.

I didn't move, my eyes narrowed. No one messes with me.
"Heads up, jerk!"

"Wha?" Jonghyun turned to me and smack went the bag straight to his cocky face.

I smiled, satisfied. I've always had great aim.

"Yah!" He shouted and narrowed his eyes at me.
"What the heck was that for?!"

"For being a jerk! I quit!" I my heel and walked away.

"Fine." I heard him called out. "It's not me who's going to regret it, miss forgetful!"

Miss Forgetful?

I turned around to face him and saw that he was holding up my BAG again!
"!" I muttered. Why the hell do I always forget my bag whenever I make my dramatic exits?!

"Looking for this?" He dangled my bag in one finger.

I narrowed my eyes to hide my panic and slowly started to walk closer to him.
"Give. Me. My. Bag."

"Then come and get it. It's not my bag." He smirked and continued to dangle it.
"Such a pretty bag...what a waste. I think I can give it to Key though since it's pink." He started to open my bag.

"Yah! Don't you dare open my bag!" I rushed over to him, to my surprised though, he ran away from ME!
"Hey! Where are you going?" I started to run as well.

"I've got your bag!" He sped up.

Darn!

"Stop running!" I shouted, starting to speed up as well.

"You want this?" He stopped since he was a little further from me.
"then try and catch me!" He started to run again, but suddenly, something dropped from my open bag.
It made a crashing sound.

"My MIRROR!" I cried.
"That's it!" I growled. "You are so DEAD, Kim Jonghyun!" I run the fastest I can and actually saw the panic in his face from breaking my precious mirror.
But he recovered quickly and started to run fast too.

My Mirror! He broke my MIRROR!!

"It's just a mirror!" He shouted, while running.
That was all I needed to hear.

"YAAAAHHHH!" I caught up to him and we fell to the ground.

"OUCH!" He grunted since I crashed on top of him.

"Give me my bag!" I said in my dangerous voice.

"Ugh. Can't you stand up first? You're really heavy!"

I frowned and pushed at his chest. "You dinosaur!" I shouted and quickly stood up.

"Dinosaur?! Where did that come from?" He stood up and stared at me, rubbing his ribs.
I just narrowed my eyes.
"You may look skinny but you sure weigh a ton! Where are you hiding all those pounds anyway?"

Way to make a girl insecure...and furious.
"Argh!" I stepped on his left foot hard.

"OW!!" He hopped up and down, dropping my bag.

"That's what you get for calling me fat!"
How dare he call me fat!

"I didn't call you fat! I said you were freaking skinny!" He stopped hopping.

"Not in those words, pal." I bent down to pick my bag.
But he picked it up faster.
"HEY!!" I shouted again.

He held it above his head.
"No way you're getting it easily."

I tried to reach for it but he tiptoed and stretched the bag out of my reach.
"Yeah, you think you're so tall?!" I tried insulting him.

He smirked down at me. "I'm way over the height jokes. You have to
think of another way to get your bag!"
I leaned closer to him, almost pressing my body against his.
I tiptoed and tried to reach for my bag.
"And you're saying I'm small?! You can't even reach my highest!"

"So what?!" I continued to struggle.
"I'm a girl! It won't matter if I'm average height!"

Suddenly, he brought down his arms, locking me inside him.
OH MY GOD! HE'S HUGGING ME!

Well, almost.

"You, miss safe and forgetful," He stooped down to his original height and looked down at me, "are definitely not average."
I pursed my lips and did my best nor to say anything for fear that I'll scream in happiness.
"You know what?" He his lips, his voice dropping to a near whisper.
I swallowed.
Oops. I hope he didn't notice.
"I'm having so much fun. I think I'm going to keep your bag so you'll keep on chasing me like that."
He thinks I'm easy?!

I smiled at him sweetly.
"But...Jonghyun oppa..." I made my voice sickly sweet.

His eyes widened in surprise at my sudden change of attitude.

"What's with girls and mirrors anyway?" He looked puzzled while he changed the topic.
"Why can't they just figure out that all they need to do is to look into the eyes of the guy who likes them and they'll see how beautiful they are. No mirror can show them that."

I stopped, completely taken aback with what he said.
"Really?" I had no idea he's capable of thinking such things!

He laughed.
"Yes. Soooo...all of a sudden I'm an oppa to you, huh? Pfft. You're like the 20th girl today who called me that."
Okay, the plan is so in motion again.

"Is that so?"
I smiled inside. He's going to get what's coming to him.
Suddenly, I punched him on the nose.
Not hard though, just enough to get his hands off me and drop my bag to the ground again.

"OW!" He grabbed his nose, wincing in pain.

I smirked and step away.
"I don't think you look good holding my bag anyway." I picked up my bag, zipped it, and dusted it off.
My poor tote bag has suffered so much today.

He looked at me. I peeked at his nose.
Oh no~ it's bleeding!
I started to smile. er.

"That...wasn't very nice. You were the first girl who ever did that to me." He pressed the bridge of his nose.

"Well, you weren't very nice to me either. Plus, I don't think I'm going to be the last. I think I've had enough. I'll go first, seonsangnim." I gave him a formal bow, smirked and started on my way again.

But not before I saw the look of awe in his eyes.

I smiled wider.

Mission accomplished.
End of Flashback.

"YOU DID WHAT?!" She cried after I told her in great detail what happened yesterday.

"Shush!" I widened my eyes at her.
"I can't help it, okay?! He broke my mirror! And he was so damn cocky about it!"

"B-but...you punched him in the nose!"
Yeah. That's a real winner.

"I know, okay?! Why the heck do you think I'm hiding anyway?"

"And the mission accomplished thing?" She stared at me in disbelief.

"Yeah!" I shrugged. "I got my bag back and on top of it, he look AWED!"

"Are you sure that was a look of awe in his face and not intense anger and stuff?"

"I'm so sure." I said happily.

"Hmm..." She tapped her fingernails on the bleachers. "And despite of that blissful feeling you seem to be experiencing right now...You're actually hiding from him." She crossed her arms.

"Well...Yes." I admitted. "Look, I just so know that he's going to do something in revenge. Okay? I am so sure! So," I grabbed her arm.
"You have to promise me that we'll go home together today! Promise me!" I looked at her with wide eyes.

"Yeah, sure." She shrugged. I sighed in relief. No way can anything bad happen when Maki's with me.

Right?

--

"Owww. I think I have a headache from that annoying surprise quiz." I rubbed my temples.

Maki adjusted her bag and laughed. "I told you to study for English. I even got your books for you!"

"Whatever. Is it even legal to give quizzes like that?!" I sighed.

"It wasn't that hard."

"Says you, English freak."
She rolled her eyes and we walked out the school gates.

"Well...if it isn't my feisty, nose-punching student. Trying to skip class?"

"Oh !" I grabbed Maki's arm. "Let's go!"

But Maki just looked surprised. "I don't think she did much damage to your nose." She squinted her eyes.

Jonghyun smiled sweetly at her. "Well, of course. I'm always flawless." He turned to me.
"Ready?"

I gulped. "N-no. I told you I quit, you...you !"

"?!" His mouth dropped open and Maki looked at me in surprise.

"Don't leave me, Maki. Please!" I wouldn't let go of her arm.

"Your friend is overreacting. I'm not going to do anything bad. I swear!" He held up his hands.
But Maki looks hesitant. "Please...I'm just going to borrow her for an hour. Two tops." He shrugged.

"Err.."

"You do know that Mika wants to get in the glee club, right?"

"Well, yes. But--"

"And you do know that I have her best interests at heart. I'm going to help her get in the club!"

"Really?" Maki looked grateful and turned to me. "Hear that? He'll help you!" She whispered. "It's like killing two birds with one stone! You'll get in the club and spend time with him!" She whispered to me happily. "Take it!"

"He's lying!" I said through gritted teeth.

"Lying?" She looks unconvinced. "Just look at him. He looks innocent enough." She turned to him and Jonghyun gave her a charming smile.

I shook my head. My poor, naive bestfriend. She'll buy any story as long as it seems 'innocent enough'.
"No, Maki. Come on--"

But she took my hand off her arm and held it. "Come on, stop acting like a dork!"

Did my bestfriend just call me a dork?!

"What?!" I hissed at her.

"You heard me." She raised an eyebrow. "You'll survive. And if things go wrong…" She leaned closer.
"You can always punch him again." She whispered.

"What?" I said weakly.

She winked at me. "Go for it!" She let go of my hand. "I assume you'll be taking care of her?" She turned to Jonghyun again.

"Of course." Jonghyun nodded like a boy scout.

She beamed at me. "See? You're in good hands! I'll be going first, okay?" She patted me at the back and I glared at her.

Traitor.

I watch her walk away.
"So..." Jonghyun leaned against the wall, watching me.
I looked at him nervously.
"I heard that breaking a mirror equals to seven years of bad luck." He walked over to me and leaned closer.

"How about I share some of that luck with you?"


 

class notes
onew-icon-3.jpg
I promise Onew and Maki will be in the next chapter. PROMISEEEEEEE~ (; Thanks for sticking with me you!