A Seeming Odd

Be Extant, Stay Around

 

       Somewhere along the sleepless night and the crack of the dawn Kyuhyun is finally grasping the impromptu meeting at the airport. It takes three weeks of readjusting the Seoul's life before his brain can draw the best theory regarding the places Ryeohyun brought him to. The fact of his obvious dark circles are accentuated with the annoying bags under his eyes didn't matter to him when he determines to pay a visit to those 'hot-spot' of Ryeowook.

       On Monday, he heads straight from the hospital to the observatory floor of the tower. He tries to relax his muscle while at the same time he keeps his eyes on everyone who is coming in and out from the floor.

       Kyuhyun offers Jonghyun a dinner at Korean restaurant on Tuesday; saying he wants to catch up a few things with him. Throughout the whole catching things up, the latter is the only one who do the talking.

       He goes to the park and sitting at the same bench under the shady tree on the next day. The intense grumbling forces him to leave the recreation site; cursing under his breaths as Kyuhyun realizes that he skips lunch earlier that day.


       A triumph smile appears on his features when he comes by at his parents' so much to the older sister's annoyance.

       "You're scaring my kids with your creepy smile!"

       Kyuhyun feels for the first time he owns the world the moment he spots Ryeowook at the night market; walking around with Donghae beside the petite male - right in front of him. His feeling intensifies like there will be no one dares to stop him from owning the world, when he proves it is Ryeowook all along, in front of him; as he hears the latter's faint voice booming in his ears.



       Eagerly finishing his last bunches of paperwork before he can properly start the job next week, he storms out the building. Avoiding the incoming congestion, he drives himself out of the city skillfully - enough not to risk his life by getting caught or dying. He grabs an amount of snacks at the fuel station before departs to beach. He enjoys the sunset without looking out for Ryeowook - feeling contend for a millionth time today over the fact that he sees the smaller male from afar last night.

       "Are you really okay, Kyu?" Ahra eyes his younger brother in worry; exchanging glances with the member of the house every so often. "You're really freaking me out."

       The lingering smile of Kyuhyun is not what the family used to see. Those absence years certainly add to the circumstances. Not knowing on how to deal this new Kyuhyun, they eat the dinner happily - ignoring him completely - when suddenly he speaks the gratitude words.

       "Thanks for the dinner mom, Ahra."

       Not that it is really necessary for Kyuhyun to say that but for the person who comes back to his family after the lengthy abroad, this is the first time they sincerely feel Kyuhyun is really the old Kyuhyun that they used to deal with.


       Later that night, Kyuhyun deduces that not all places is the 'hot-spot' - one thing for sure, the hospice is the ultimate number one 'hot-spot'.


       Settling some personal matters in the morning first, he goes to the hospice at the evening. A big part of Kyuhyun feels excitement over this visit yet the small tinge of relief washes over his face when he realizes that Ryeowook has leaved five minutes earlier. He consciously aware that he is unprepared - to face the beautiful husband of his - he never will.

 

........
 
 
 

       Something doesn't add up. Kyuhyun wants an answer; unfortunately no one can give him the right feedback. The handsome hospice manager, Kangta has gone out - straighten up things he needs to.

       Kyuhyun doesn't want to bother the staffs that he is not quite comfortable himself with. Things might get weirder - the last thing he wants it to happen.

       Breathing a long sigh, he has no option left - the smiling 24/7 guy, Jinki. It gets really awkward the first time they met as the younger avoids him like he is some kind of plague. Jinki sticks himself to Ryeohyun like she is a vaccine that helps from spreading the disease any further.


       Well Kyuhyun, now or never.


       "Jinki, can I talk to you?"

       Tilting his head aside, Jinki recognizes the lanky male; looking unsure and hopeful at the same time. "Sure."

       Silence dominates them. Struggling to form a sentence, Kyuhyun fidgets with his hands secretly.

       "You want to talk." A statement from Jinki urges Kyuhyun to explain himself out or else they are not going anywhere soon.

       Smiling awkwardly, Kyuhyun utters, "Yeah." Straightens himself up on the bench, "There is something I want to know but... I can't get the right answer if we are uncomfortable with each other."

       "Uncomfortable?"

       "Yes, I know you are uncomfortable with me."

       Jinki lets his guard down - there's no reason to put the defense on when he has been caught red-handed. Apparently, the good pretense of his is crumbling down right in front of the older male.

       "Then, what?" Turning his head at the male beside him, Kyuhyun meets the younger's eyes.

       Smiling to the latter, Kyuhyun introduces himself, "I'm Kyuhyun. Like I said the last time, I'm Ryeohyun's father - her real father."

       Clearly hears the emphasising of the last part, Jinki offers his hand to the taller, "Nice to meet you, Kyuhyun. I'm Jinki, majoring in photography."

       Jinki learns that Kyuhyun is Ryeowook's other half but the ophthalmologist is not very sure about the term after 8 years. He then informs Kyuhyun that he comes to hospice once or twice during weekdays - depending on his university schedule - and definitely, he spends his time fully at the facility during the weekend.

       Clearing his throat, Kyuhyun sends a signal so the slender male does not startle.

       "Did you know who manages this institution?"

       "Kangta hyung." Jinki's voice a little hesitant.

       "He says he is just a manager here which means he is not the one who founded this place."

       Confused with the news, Jinki inquires. "You didn't ask him that the last time you met him?"

       Shrugging, the doctor continues. "He asks me to figure it out myself." Kyuhyun definitely pisses off when he hears that from the older male at first, but then he guesses maybe the older doesn't really know anything about it. Or, if the older does know; he just know things are not simple as he thinks. All his life, nothing is simple - they never were.

       "Why would you think I can help you figure this out? And why it is matter to you who founded this place?" Jinki furrows his eyebrows; questioning Kyuhyun's motive.

       "You are the only one who knows me." Kyuhyun whispers, "I thought I heard my grandpa hospital's name somewhere here."

       "You think all the patience's here have been treated at your grandfather's hospital." Jinki states the matter of fact with un-amused expression. "Do you realize what are you saying? Are you trying to tell me that your grandfather's hospital is the only one available around here?"

       "No, that's not what I mean." Kyuhyun breathes out heavily, "It must be very stupid of me if the hospital's name is the only clue. I heard my grandpa's name, too and a lot. I just don't have enough courage to ask the staffs."

       If the photography-degree male doesn't being a sensitive human he thinks he is, he would have screaming back at the lanky male. As guilt creeping up his vein, Jinki feels bad and apologizes to Kyuhyun, "I'm sorry for snapping at you." Kyuhyun just smile wryly, can't help to feel annoyed with himself when he almost lashes himself out, to someone he just makes a new friend with.

       "I guess, I heard your grandfather's name quite a lot too. According to the intern guy, your grandfather is the one who suggests this facility to him and his family. You know, I've been around here just early this year. I don't think I can help you figure this out."

       "I hate when people reject me. Look, I really need your help in figuring the things out. It doesn't matter to me you've been here longer or not." Kyuhyun places his face in his hand exasperatedly. "You know why Ryeowook always comes here?"

       "I don't understand." Feeling completely lost, Jinki speaks tentatively, "Is this the same topic we're talking about? Why don't you just ask your family or even better you ask your grandfather yourself? Are they difficult to deal with?"

       Lost for words, Kyuhyun lets the conversation dies in silence before he murmurs softly, "My grandpa has died... 2 years ago." His eyes everywhere; not wanting the glistening tears to fall. "I don't intend to bother my family with this though."

       Jinki pats Kyuhyun, almost awkwardly on the shoulder when the former sees tears in the elder's eyes. "I'm sorry." 

       The younger would have actually thought that maybe he has somehow get over with his feeling, but apparently today has proven him wrong. After the awful accident years ago, he would probably have forgotten all of them, but then the blurred flashes he does see in his sleep become intensely vivid, and clear - so clear that he could see his brain is imprinting every details of every seconds to his whole being. He would have gone hyperventilating like he always did, yet surprisingly he didn't.

       The weirdest odd is that he sees his hand rest comfortably on the taller shoulder, making gentle caresses. Jinki could even see that Kyuhyun's body has gone invisibly relax. Maybe it is a good sign, then.

 

 

p/s: Happy Wondeful Birthday to beloved baby love Ryeowook! His mother's voice message though... :)