Green Tea

Be Extant, Stay Around

 

       Reporters are swarming into the conference room earlier than expected. The rows of seat and table are arranged neatly across the room. At the main desk in front, pastel orange serve as the backdrop with many gold tiny, small letter Z and R everywhere.

       This is the very first time for Ryeowook while for the taller male Zhoumi, it is countless - judging by the retained composure on the latter's face. The smaller male knows he's not ready for this - back then in Paris, he managed to avoid the reporters and the fact those eager journalists didn't really know him save him for the day. Besides, his mentor always stays beside him, covering him at anytime.

       Today, they're going to announce about the store's launching, in Hongdae next week. There are also some freebies for the 150 early birds.

       Soon, the Q&A session is open for the reporters. The nervous Ryeowook, who seats next to Zhoumi, tries to even out his breath. For about 15 minutes, the younger lets the experienced male handles those questions regarding the store or the clothes line. But that doesn't mean, he can relax and let his guard down completely as the real battle with himself is just starting, the moment a reporter throws him a family-related question. Fortunately, it is not about his daughter.

       "Are your family initially support your decision to make it big in the fashion industry? Because as far as I know, your family is quite famous in their own way, aren't they?"

        And certainly, the sudden revelation about his whole family is not the one he favors either. He might bring shame to the Kim's family generation after generation. Those might be innocent inquiries for any normal person, but not for everyone else who does aware about his real background. Even after his partner acknowledges the smaller male's background 3 months after the clothes line launching, he knows that tall designer is regretting for not knowing about it sooner.

       It's not that the younger male wants to hide the fact about his family but his family profession is not something he should show off, if he truly wants to befriend with his friends, right?

       Wearing a slight smile, he palms his knee lightly. "I don't really reveal my plan to be a designer to my family. My father just caught me one day. So, he just offers me the opportunity."

       A young woman with a laptop in front of her, asks with a dying curiosity as everyone else in the room, "May I know your family is leading which area of business?" - An example of an innocent normal person.

       Not anticipating the question, Ryeowook forces himself to answer honestly yet reluctantly. "I'm not very sure if they are leading." Smiles wryly; Ryeowook continues, "My parents are working as a doctor and so my grandfather. Though, my mother has quit her nursing job five years ago."

       A quite handsome guy with a pen on his left hand raises his other hand, "There is an article back then in 1995 about this particular hospital. The young man partnered with his best friend, open the branch hospital. It's your grandfather, isn't it Ryeowook-shi?"

       Surprised that the guy manages to find the old article, Ryeowook jokes lightly, "I was in the middle school at that time. Yes, it was my grandfather and his best friend."

       Another reporter from the back of the room requests, "Can you elaborate more about your family profession?"

       The taller male brings his hand against Ryeowook's, holds them lightly under the table and waits for the smaller to speak before releasing them, "I'm very sorry. I don't think I can do that."

        Zhoumi quickly and calmly pipes in, "Is there any questions for us aside from the personal issues?"

       "I learned that Ryeowook-shi has received an intense training from your mentor while in Paris. Do you still contact him to this very day?"

       With a wide grin, he answers happily, "Indeed, I am. I've just texting him a few hours ago before the press. I tell him about the clothes line, too."

       "So, you really can speak French?"

       "A little. But because Paris is a cosmopolitan city, English is the most popular foreign language to be spoken and understood. I learned French from my aunt who lives there."

       A journalist who seated at the left side near the stand-in camera asks, "Is there any future project that you two featured in?"

       Zhoumi and Ryeowook glance at each other before the taller male states, "I'd received a call for a project that participated by many young designers, to promote the upcoming Korean designs."

       Ryeowook then speaks, "Currently, I'm focusing on designing a formal gown and dresses which is not my comfort zone."

       "Does that mean you're working for someone or...?"

       "You can call it that way, if that makes you feel better." Ryeowook ends the question with a smile. Not taking any questions after that, the smaller male seals his mouth and waits for the host to end the session.

       "Thank you to all reporters for coming. The speakers may be able to stay for a few minutes and answer your questions individually."


       The news regarding Ryeowook's family spread like a wildfire. And of course, the trio in Kyuhyun's apartment don't miss the evening news that happen to be on when Leeteuk flips on the screen - trying to entertain himself, actually. The two males who seem to be confused upon seeing their hospital that they currently work, look over the screen intently while the lanky male freezes up, hearing the unforeseen news.

       The footage on the screen then switches to Ryeowook and Zhoumi's interview, confirming the information about the branch hospital. There are also pictures of Ryeowook's parents and his grandfather at the end of the footage. Looking over his shoulder, the oldest out of the three males, stares at Kyuhyun that sits beside him. The lanky male has his usual stoic-stoned expression on.

       Noticing the awfully silence minus the audio from the screen, Kangin stands in front of the lanky male. He then touches the young doctor by the shoulder lightly before asking, "Care to explain?"

       Lifting his head slowly, Kyuhyun's eyes are everywhere. He's too lost to focus. With the same expressionless across the face, the lanky male struggles to form a word, "I, I tell...you guys later, okay. Yeah, later." Pulling himself to his feet, Kyuhyun snatches the pale green leather wallet on the table before grabbing the car key, hanging on the wall. He then dashes out from his apartment, leaving the hyungs in utter confusion.

       "A stuttering Kyuhyun," Leeteuk states plainly while eyeing the closed front door.

       Agreeing, Kangin claims in his standing spot. "The unfocused Kyuhyun."

       "He hides something from us." Both of males exclaims softly like it is barely a whisper.


       Reaching upon his parents' house, Kyuhyun storms to the front door only to stop himself at the entrance before the door. Calming himself, he takes in the atmosphere around the house. Silence with the occasional conversation among the maids in the living room. Opening the door gently, the lanky male strides to the kitchen, looking for his mother while all the way; he flashes his small smile to the maids - the act that he acknowledges their presence in the house.

       And he's been right all along that his mother is in the kitchen with another maid, cooking for a dinner. He signals the maid as to not alert his mother who is standing at the stove, stirring a soup. Slowly, he creeps behind her and hugs by his mother's waist. Leaning his chin on the shoulder; he praises his mother, "Nice soup for a dinner."

       Surprised, Kyuhyun's mother nearly drops yellow silicone spatula but the lanky male manages to catch the cooking utensil and begin stirring the pot on the stove.

       "Can you make a green tea for me?" It's not a suggestion, actually; it's more like an excuse for the lanky male - so that he doesn't have to tell her the actual purposes on why he comes, at least not yet.

       As expected, Mrs. Cho understands his only son perfectly. Therefore, she turns herself around to hug Kyuhyun briefly despite the protest coming from the male, before releasing the male and prepares for the green tea; she left the soup for the maid to attend to. "The dinner is almost ready but there is some time before your father comes home. Why don't you take a short nap upstairs?"

       Kyuhyun grins at this. Definitely, his mother doesn't forget his favorite ploy. No one around the house knows about this except his grandfather, at some point. Everyone else will assume that he will be going to his bedroom to take a nap and the tea will make him sleep better but he's not going to do so if he asks a green tea from his mother. And he only requests and accepts the said tea from his mother solely. He even infuriated his sister once when she insists him to drink the green tea and he ends up shoving the whole set of the tea on the floor in the living room, with his both parents and grandparents present at that time.

       He earned a reprimand by his grandfather for the ill-mannered, but as usual, the lanky male is too stubborn to listen. He apologized to his sister after three months of the incident, after consistently being pushed by his mother. Due to the belated apology, his grandfather grounded him from touching or playing his PSP and online games. In other words, his grandfather confiscated the whole electronic devices in the house for five months straight.


       Lying on the mattress, he closes his eyes momentarily before he opens them back once he hears the footsteps of his mother. He shifts his body so his back is against the headboard.

       Mrs. Cho then places the glass of green tea in the nightstand before positioning herself on the mattress beside her son. Automatically, Kyuhyun leans onto her lap but his mother restricts him by holding him on the shoulder.

       "Don't waste my green tea. Drink first," Mrs. Cho demands.

       Taking the glass from his mother, Kyuhyun sips slowly the fresh tea, enjoying the scent to the fullest. Once he emptied the glass, he hands the glass to his mother before lying on her lap comfortably.

       Waiting for his son to speak his mind, she casually chats herself away, commenting about the residents of the house every now and then. She doesn't expect her son to say something though because this is Kyuhyun, for crying out loud. Sometimes, the lanky male just needs time to blurt his words.

       "Your sister has confirmed about her involvement in the wedding. What is her name again?"

       "You've become forgetful now. It's Victoria. Yes, Changmin's bride-to-be. Don't tell me you forget who Changmin is?"

       "You brat! Changmin the singer, your best online buddy gamer, I know that. Mind to tell me again - "

       "Mom, have you watched the evening news or perhaps you heard anything about...about the Kim?"

       Of course, Mrs. Cho knows about the news albeit she doesn't watch it before her own eyes - the maid calls in too late - as soon she stands in front of the screen, the footage ends. But she is quite sure that the Eight O'clock news will cover them again and will continue to be on the midnight headlines.

       "What if I don't?"

       "But I know you do." Facing his mother, Kyuhyun lets his gaze lingers around his mother's hazel orbs before averting his eyes. "Let's pay a visit to the Kim, if you don't mind." Straightening himself from his mother's lap, he hugs his mother before lying down again. This time around, he lies with a proper position to sleep until the dinner comes.

       "Thanks for the green tea." It's the gratitude for the companion, actually.

       "It's my pleasure, son." Mrs. Cho grins, walking out from the bedroom.

       Sometimes, she's grateful that those painful years in Ireland didn't alter his son dramatically. Although, the lanky male is changing for the better especially towards his family, but the underlying fact that he is very quiet and conservative yet creative is still there within the reach, is a reassurance for her.

 


       And the dinner is continued without Kyuhyun. Until the end of the Eight O'clock news, the lanky male still doesn't shows up. Not that the doctor needs to be awake at this hour as his shift starts at 12 in the midnight, but it is a bothersome that when he misses dinner, he tends to act like a jerk all day long due to the lack of food.

       Complying with her mother's order, Ahra walks to the stairs only to stop her track halfway. A fresh-looking Kyuhyun with a slight smile adorns the features, strides to the kitchen after bowing politely to her and her father in the living room. Blinking her eyes, Ahra follows her younger brother into the kitchen. She observes the lanky male, from head to toes - unable to decipher the younger's behavior as lately. Admitting that Victoria's offer is one in the million, she can't seem to shake the thoughts that the younger male wants something from her. Though, she has no idea what it is and there is certainly, no way for the lanky male does something without wanting anything for a return.

       "Am I that handsome for you to resist?"

       "Oh, please Kyuhyun. Ryeowook is so much better than you, you know."

       Wrong choices of word - she knows.

       Mrs. Cho doesn't attempt to make the quiet atmosphere livelier as she serves the dishes on the table for Kyuhyun. While Ahra notices the jaws tighten with a stiff shoulder from her younger brother, she gently slips in the seat in front of her brother. She eyes the lanky male for a moment before softly murmurs, "Sorry, didn't intend to."

       Not saying a word, the younger male only nods his head lightly, brushing the matter like it never happen while at the same time acknowledging the apology before reaching for the food on the table.

       Happy that the male doesn't really offend with her, Ahra leans forwards towards her younger brother. "So, is there something you want?"

       Keeps chewing the meals, he looks over her sister - waiting for the further explanation with a slight raised eyebrow.

       "Well, you always help me as a ticket for your own favor. So, what is it? I'll consider if the deal make sense to me."

       "Nothing ever makes sense to you and I don't want to make a deal with you." Finishing his meal, Kyuhyun pushes aside his bowl before speaks again, "He suggests you in the first place."

       "He...Ryeowook? You've met him? Where? So then what, you're helping him?" She bombards bunches of question all at once.

       Mrs. Cho smells something suspicious is going under her nose. She intensely fixated her gaze on the young doctor who is standing to his feet to dump his bowl on the sink. Kyuhyun, on the other hand realizes that his mother suspects one or two about the whole thing but he chooses to remain nonchalant for the time being. He then walks to the kitchen doorstep, wanting to be anywhere without the judging eyes of his mother.

       "Yah, Cho Kyuhyun! Answer my questions."

       Annoyed, Kyuhyun swirls his body, turning around to face his sister. "Ask someone else. Interrogate Yesung or whoever you want. I don't care. I don't want to answer your ridiculous questions." Walking away angrily, he nearly knocks over his brother-in-law who coincidentally, happens to step into the kitchen doorstep.

       Well, it doesn't really ridiculous, right? After all, everyone in the house will keep questioning him the same issue all over again until they understand what has been happening this whole time. Sighing heavily, Kyuhyun virtually shuts his personal matters and pushes them at the back of his mind, so he can focus on his job later.

 

 

A/N: Ryeowook's background is  out in the open, and eventually we're going to know about Kyuhyun's, too. It feels like the story is not organized, thus it left me feels like a meh... The original version would be like in the previous chapter as in the words flow out around 4K, but then I decide that AFF isn't a place for that so many words, so I think it's better if I split them up. And just so you know, I plan to end this fic when the original story writing reaches the 26 chapter mark; Which also means that, in AFF this would be longer. Sorry guys. And if you think my idea isn't the best for everyone, just tell me okay. :)