Ad(a)pting

Be Extant, Stay Around
 
 
Kyuhyun wakes up as the caresses of the morning breeze playing over his face lightly. Frowning slightly with his eyes remain shut, he waits for anything and after five minutes long - he just estimates it - he loosens up, trying to fall back into sleep.

"Wake up, Kyuhyun,"

Though he is startled with the sudden voice of his mother on the room, he grumbles sleepily. "What time is it?"

"It's nine in the morning." Right, he needs to accompany his mother to the market. Sighing, he straightens his back against the dashboard lazily, looking over her mother, who is now picking up the garment all over his room.

Facing her youngest children, Mrs. Cho inquires. "Did you have a good rest?"

"Hmm."

"Feeling great now?"

Confused, he stares at his mother. "Well, you're having a nice dream after all." With that, Mrs. Cho goes out from his bedroom.

Tossing the comforter around him, Kyuhyun goes to the bathroom, washing his face, and brushing his teeth before letting the hot water from the faucet streaming down his body. All the time, he's still thinking about the nice dream - did he have a dream last night? Why he can't he remember anything? Groaning, he decides to ask his mother later at breakfast. He isn't going to dwell with this matter if he can't solve it by himself.

Quickly dressed in a white shirt and black pants, he grabs his black jacket and rushes downstairs. Everyone in the living room seems surprised with the vigor coursing from the lanky male as Kyuhyun isn't someone who love to sweat. He hates it.

"Mom, did I say something while I'm sleeping?"

Facing her son briefly before turning back to the eggs in the frying pan, she answers. "No."

"Then how did you know I had a dream?"

"I don't know. I'm just assuming, because you look contend when you wake up so I thought you might have a nice dream." Silence stretches like iced cords through the kitchen. "You can't remember what is it about?"

Staring into spaces, he chooses not to answer the question. Somehow, he feels that there is something more than what his mother doesn't want to tell him, but he can't quite put what it is. Glancing at his mother some more, the lanky male blurts out, displeased that his mother doesn't want to cooperate with him.

"Why would you say nice? How would you know it was a nice dream?"

"Really, Kyuhyun? What about this dream that makes you so worked up first thing in the morning? There is nothing wrong in assuming that you have a nice dream, everyone dreams every once in a while, sweetheart."

Rolling his eyes, he shallows the lump that threatens to jump out from his throat. "Well, I'm not everyone."

Taken aback, Mrs. Cho doesn't say a word regarding that. She however requests her son to help her set the table, "You should be helping me when you are in my house."

"This is my house, too. So, I have the right whether to follow your instruction or not."

"Did you pay for the house?"

Glaring, he huffs in annoyance, feeling defeated. "Next time, I'm not going to sleep over in your house even my shift ends at dawn."

"We'll see." Inwardly, Mrs. Cho smiles at the silliness of her son. Kyuhyun will surrender to his own standpoint when she knows the lanky male would definitely give in two to three weeks after that.

Albeit the doctor admits that he's such a child playing that game, he can't help to feel that way when his mother refuses to tell him the truth. He supposes he misses his mom too much that everything that has been shown in front of her which comes almost automatically out of nowhere is something he is craving to do in the years he is absent.

Right at that moment, Ahra comes into the kitchen; she seems surprise watching her brother setting the table for everyone. "Does something good happen today, Kyu? You're setting the table for breakfast!" She exclaims, looking excited all of the sudden.

"You're welcome. Have a seat, noona." His voice is monotonous.

Ahra gladly pulls out the chair, and takes a seat - totally dismissing the annoyed Kyuhyun, then following behind her are her husband and her father. Both her daughters are at her parents-in-law's house since last night as the children want to see the other cousins that come from Canada so badly. She doesn't want to leave her husband alone as he is working on the night shift last night, so she opts to visit the family later in the afternoon.

"Jongwoon called just now. He says he will come at noon." Technically, it was her mother who answered the phone. Well, she just wants to be the informant.

Nodding in understanding, Kyuhyun continues munching on the omelette, focusing in finishing his breakfast as fast as possible so that he can avoid from being questioned further. As much as he likes eating with his family, he hates it when out of nowhere the attention is directed on him. And it will always be like that - every single time he spends his time eating with the family.

"What have you done?" Ahra inquires.

"Nothing."

"I can ask Jongwoon, you know."

"Go ahead." Clearing everything on his plate, he proceeds on gulping down the orange juice. He then sets the empty glass down, before rising to his feet, pacing to the sink. "I'm done." Washing his plate and rinsing his hands, he walks out from the kitchen. "I'll be in the garden."





"What did you tell my mom?"

"That... I will come later at noon? Okay, I know I wasn't supposed to say that. But, what you expect me to say? I can't lie to your mom."

"You didn't tell her more than that right?"

"I will be a dead meat by now if I'd do that."

Upon seeing his mother at the entrance near the garden, Kyuhyun rushes off. "Good to hear that. I'm hanging up now. Thanks hyung."

Without further ado, Kyuhyun walks towards his silver car and 
ignites the engine before opening the door for his mother. Though his mother attempts to make a conversation with him, he replies as vaguely as possible. Besides, everyone knows that he is a person with a few words. Nothing has change, for once.

After one hour and a half in the market, Mrs. Cho then requests for a florist shop as she intends to change the centerpiece on the coffee table. And Kyuhyun isn't going to refuse it, unless he wants to get a lecture from his mother. It is hard enough not to impulsively complaint every single things that his mother manages to make him irritated.

In the end, Kyuhyun and his mother both arrives at Cho's residence eleven-thirty in the morning, the same time his sister along with the husband decide to make a move to the parents-in-law's house. Just when his sister wants to open the door of the car, he makes an announcement.

"There is something that I need you guys to know. It won't be long, I promise."

In fact at the brief moment, Yesung's car comes to the sight, as it stops up short at the front yard. It isn't shocking news that the lawyer comes to the residence without telling them, because the said lawyer always visits them without really telling them in advance - but of course, that is not the case now.

Albeit they are all surprised at the sudden new appearance that coming out from the passenger seat, Mr. and Mrs. Cho remain calm; welcoming the young boy with the warmest smile. While Ahra makes a way to the boy's standing position, her husband welcomes the lawyer.

Kyuhyun then comes to a rescue as he watches his sister trying to talk the younger boy into things that he is sure the boy doesn't want to have any saying about it yet. "Noona, I'd tell you later in the house, okay."

Clasping his hand onto the boy's wrist, the doctor leads them into the house, mentally preparing himself for the next move.

"Are you okay? Is this okay? Can you handle this?" Kyuhyun throws all the questions to the boy.

"Yes, yes and yes. Don't be so nervous, hyung. They seem nice."

"But you don't even know them!" His voice becomes restrained.

"Well, I know you." Blinking in utter confusion, he lets a small smile drifts on his features.

Soon, everyone comes into the living room, waiting for an explanation. The smile on Kyuhyun's face faded instantly, anxiety resurfacing for umpteenth time that day. Yesung, who sees this, chooses to sit beside the lanky male, offering some comfort for him.

Straightens his back, Kyuhyun opens his mouth, his voice is confident. "This is Min Gyu. I file for adoption on him, under my name."

And silence engulfs upon them - glances are exchanging between Mr. and Mrs. Cho, while Ahra widens his eyes that it seems the eyeballs would fall out from the socket in any minute. "I'm sorry for telling you guys after I've done filing the document. He would be living with me from now on, and I hope he is welcoming in this house whenever we come here."





"Okay, so how now?"

Tuning his head towards the voice, Kyuhyun gladly reaches for the fresh orange from the elder cousin. "I feel relieved."

Furrows his eyebrow in confusion, the lawyer faces Kyuhyun. "That's all?"

"It's finally over. I don't have to keep this thing hidden anymore. I felt like my life has spent mostly on this thing only."

"No, you're kidding me. This is the shortest case that I've been handling so far. You wouldn't want to know what cases that have been sitting on my desk for a year now."

"Not going to ask." Sure he knows how that feeling is. He has the experiences.

The moment of sublime comes in as the lanky doctor takes in how the golden ray shines onto the beautiful flowers in the garden. Relaxing his posture, Yesung puts down his glass on the coffee table.

"Have you decided?"

Kyuhyun however, couldn't catch the drift, so he looks over Yesung, waiting for the next word. But the older male doesn't make an eye-contact with him as the lawyer takes his time on voicing his fear. "I - ...you should make a move. I know this is kind of insane, but we are sort of waiting for you to actually clear everything up. We couldn't do anything unless you initiate it first."

"What you want me to do?"

Shrugging, he answers. "Amend your friendship, claim Ryeowook back."

"What would happen if I decide to wait? Why would you guys want me to start it first so badly? Why couldn't you?" Kyuhyun's sporting a serious look.

Finally facing the younger, Yesung lets his eyes boring into the hazel pool. "Do you think I have the final say in the current situation? No, I am nothing compared to you. They are hoping that you forgive them, expecting that you not be awkward with them."

Maintaining the gaze for several moments, Kyuhyun then breaks the spell, head lowering down. "You are Cho's family lawyer." Muttering, he continues. "I have forgiven them long ago."

"They didn't know that." Sighing, he watches the younger. "Do you actually understand what is demanding of you right now?"

Kyuhyun can feel that his head is starting to pound. He then rises to his feet, wanting to leave the conversation hanging. Despite that, the lanky male has stops halfway when his elder cousin says something that quite irrelevant to him.

"We all have abandoned you, those eight years ago. We never really cared about you. I never try to keep in touch with you. We... - I just know you are going to be fine on your own, because of who you are. The great Cho Kyuhyun would be fine, would survive whenever he decided to go."

Pacing slowly towards the stiff Kyuhyun, Yesung carries on. "And then suddenly, after all those years, you came back. It was kind of surprising, because you have been someone that we barely knew and it kept bugging me, bugging everyone else that you might have changed. We are afraid, to be frank; afraid that we - all your thoughtless friends, are the factor that caused that. Not the changes isn't good, it is. But you know people change for a reason."

Stopping right in front of Kyuhyun, the elder male rests his hand on the latter shoulder.

"I'm not sure how you would do this, because believe me I know you wouldn't want to do this. This is not your thing. But right now Kyuhyun, this is the only way to mend everything. Screw everyone else, this is all about you. You deserve this."

Staring hard across Yesung's shoulder, the lanky tugs a small smile, before completely disappearing into the house. In that instant, the smile has faded away, replacing with a blank, cold expression.

Forgiveness is divine.

But, he is not a person who can let people around him knows he has forgiven them - he just doesn't play that kind of thing. Why would he be the first one to approach people? Couldn't they see he is never good with people?

Except Ryeowook maybe, and Ryeohyun; they are always his exception.

 

 

 

A/N: BTS of Chapter Title

I thought the adoption is all about the adaptation and getting adopted is adapting to the new life. And then, because the two characters in these chapter are familiar with the adopting/adapting process, I think that's why that lame title is invented. Sorry for the cliche, folks.