Benumb

Be Extant, Stay Around

  "  I'd run to you, I'd fly to you

If you come to my heart  "

 

       The Cho stay for the dinner after myriad reasoning coming from the persistent Kim family. The youngest Kim goes by the name of Kim Taemin keep coaxing the young doctor by hovering over the lanky male every 30 minutes.While the young doctor does want to vanish into the thin air every time the younger male comes, asking the rather relentless, same question; Kyuhyun can't help to feel the guilt ridden eating him softly but surely each passing seconds.

       

       He thinks that the certain designer does want him to submerge into the black hole, with no hope to resurface ever again, after the unfortunate accident at the garden. And everyone comprising the whole Kim's and Cho's give their own arguments - like how his sister keeps telling him about how happy Ryeohyun is spending her time with her cousins - in indirect ways.

       

       Though, some of the them are irrational enough that the lanky male instantly knows they are all too desperate to make him lingers around the Kim's big house till dinner, he doesn't have any option when his equally tenacious mother ignoring him completely - by sitting on the bed where the designer is sleeping after some scolding from both Mr. and Mrs. Kim. And the smaller male only listens to his soothing voice of his grandfather lulling him to sleep.

 

       Kyuhyun, who doesn't want to jeopardize his life even further, chooses not to venture into the danger territory without the permission from the smaller male, even though it doesn't hurt to do so when the said male is in the dreamland. Still, he can't afford the risk. However, the young doctor does feels at ease, knowing the injured male is sleeping upstairs, that he can avoid the latter without driving both of them intensely nerve-wracking by the end of the day. But, that doesn't make the remorse he had go down any lesser. In fact, the restlessness sends him over the edge when he can't see the smaller well-being before his own very eyes. Earlier, he determinedly didn't make an eye-contact with the smaller when Mr. Kim bring the smaller male into the house and treated the wound at the living room before escorting the petite to the bedroom.

 


       Waiting for the dinner patiently, Kyuhyun can't escape the favor coming from Ryeowook's grandfather - to clean the wound and change the bandage for the designer, before coming down for a dinner. Dreading, he even asks his sister for the simple task only to be refuse blatantly, saying that she needs to be in the kitchen and surely, she convinces that the lanky male will burn down the modern style kitchen.

 

       And he doesn't need to argue about the fact that he can cook decent food now, when his sister hauntingly stares at him, with a warning just-get-over-with-it look while standing near the kitchen counter with her crossed arm. Leaving the kitchen, he searches all over the house for the younger male Taemin but to no avail. It is fruitless after he spends twenty minutes looking for the said boy. Paled, he plops down on the sofa, sighing heavily.

 

       Right that moment, Ryeowook's grandfather simply walks over to the young doctor and pats him gently on the shoulder. Reassuring smile drifts across the experienced doctor's features despite that the grandfather aware how badly the young male wants to run off from seeing the petite. With a small smile in return, he trails behind Ryeowook's grandfather while his hand grips on the first aid kit tightly. Sweats bead down Kyuhyun's temple once he stands outside the bedroom, wanting to flee so badly that his feet won't let him move an inch from the door.

 

       Counting silently in mind, the lanky male wills his breathing to become even, as he hears the conversation behind the closed door clearly.

 

       "Oh, you're awake. Does your hand still hurt?" The grandfather can see the slight red on the white covering. Though, the puncture does not big or deep, but it is still highly unpleasant that the whole palm is wrapped up with one or two plaster on the long fingers.

 

       Looking over to his grandfather, Ryeowook then gazes on his right hand. "Not anymore. I guess it gets better?"

 

       Inspecting the injured, wrapped hand closely, the experienced doctor states, "I think so, as there is no swollen. But the bandage still needs a change."

 

       "Can I just leave the wound to the open air? It heals faster, right?"

 

       Facing his grandson, he fondly speaks with his hand still holding the smaller. "Yes I know, but we don't want your wound to get infected, do we? You can take off the bandages once the wound has closed, okay?"

 

       "How long will it takes? I can't do anything with this thing wrapped around my hand." The smaller male whines with adorable grin plasters on the face, "Oh, my precious hand. I'm sorry for not taking care of you." Then, the designer changes his tone, "So, you're going to change it now?"

 

       Nodding in approval, the grandfather walks over to the door. And when the smaller male assumes that his grandfather going to retrieve the first aid kit before cleaning the wound and change the bandage, he become confused when he watches his grandfather coming shortly with no boxes in return. Just when he about to ask what is wrong, he catches the sight of the lanky male stepping calmly into his bedroom.

 

       "I give him permission to enter your bedroom. And he's going to change your bandage."

 

       "Why can't you do it? You're a doctor, too." Ryeowook desperately grabs his grandfather's arm using the other hand.

 

       "I'm too old to handle the meticulous wound like yours. This is for your own good, alright." Loosening the tight grip on the arm slowly, the experienced doctor whispers to him. "It's okay. Just let him does his job and then you're free to kick him out from your bedroom."

 

       Slumping hopelessly, the slender male watches his grandfather give a gentle pat on the standing male's shoulder before slipping out from the bedroom. Ryeowook then masks his face to somewhat cold expression. Not that, the smaller male does not intend to let the lanky male knows that it is not the latter's fault but the smaller can't seem to put his bright expression on when he knows he will be dealing with the young doctor.

 

       Keeping the emotions in check, both males eyes each other warily before the smaller averts his gaze, looking anywhere but the lanky male. Fidgeting with the blanket on top of his lap, Ryeowook quietly gestures the taller to the white blue couch across the room.

 

       "You can have a seat."

 

       Making his way to the couch near the small, aesthetic white bookshelf on the right side, Kyuhyun can't help to gape in amazement at the contemporary interior design around the room. Meeting the watchful eyes of the smaller unconsciously, the lanky male blushes lightly, embarrassed for getting caught in the act. "Sorry." Clearing his throat suddenly, the doctor states calmly after sitting down on the couch. "I know this is uncomfortable for you. But, I need to change your bandage."

 

       Rubbing his temple gently, the talented designer comes with an idea. "I can do this by myself. Just give me the instructions will do, I think." Ryeowook then lifts his injured hand, "And just so you know, this is not your fault. So, stop blaming yourself."

 

 

       With a fair distance between the two males, Ryeowook follows the young doctor's instruction precisely. Slowly with his left hand, the designer unwraps the white dressing before taking the wet clean washcloth that the lanky male provides as he places it beside the kit that happen to be their only barrier.

 

       "Now, applies a small amount of the antibiotic cream. It's at the bottom of the kit, on the left side."

 

       The lanky male must have memorizes the whole content of the kit that he says it like it is his personal kit, though Ryeowook does think that different home has different kit with different contents except the basic one but nevertheless, the smaller can't help to feel surprised by this and it shows obviously on the smaller face.

 

       Kyuhyun, who is observing the smaller male's movement carefully, throughout the whole process, frowns when the left hand stops rummaging the kit. Raising his head, he takes in the startled look on the designer's features.

 

       "What?"

 

       Ignoring the lanky male, the designer resumes his task - opening the cream's cap and applies it on the wound. By the time Ryeowook should apply the sterile gauze on the wound, he feels his left hand tingles and a sudden numbness strikes in. Not wanting to waste any cream again, the designer asks with his soft voice, "I can't feel my left hand. Could you wrap it up for me?"

 

       Without wasting any time, the young doctor quickly works on wrapping the wound, cautiously; albeit his mind is racing around the numbness issue the smaller male's had.

 

       "Don't worry. It's just temporary. I'd born with it." Ryeowook informs unintentionally.

 

       And for the first time, Kyuhyun finally realizes that he knows nothing about the smaller. He never attempt to know about the slender male's life throughout the six months they had years ago. Heck, he doesn't even want to pay any attention to the attractive male, until it is too late to do so. After done wrapping the wound, the young doctor walks back to the couch. Placing both his hands flat across his face, the lanky male drops them slowly, frustration starts to build within the taller but he feigns his best composure like how he always does with all his perturbing patients except this time he is the one who feels unsettled.

 

       "Tell me more about it." Kyuhyun make it sounds like it is some sort of demand, only that he used his soft voice - so that the smaller male doesn't feel obligated to tell him.

 

       Contemplating to tell about it, the smaller male tries to relax his limb comfortably on the bed, yet at the same time switching off his defense mode, after putting aside the washcloth and kit on the nightstand.

 

       "There's nothing to tell. Like I said, it's temporary. It the same thing that everyone feels if they put too much pressure on certain limb, except mine lasted longer than everyone else and it happens at anytime, without giving any warning."

 

       "And it happens only to your left hand? It doesn't spread to any parts of the body?" Panic rising in, but the young doctor doesn't show it on his features.

 

       "Last time I check, it happens only to my left hand. My grandfather can prove it to you."

 

       "Are sure that it doesn't bring fatal to you?" Again, the lanky male insists.

 

       Ryeowook, who starts to feel annoyed with the young doctor, sarcastically replies. "I'm alive for twenty-eight years now, in case you didn't realize."
 

 

 

       The designer is having a very hard time during dinner, as his left hand still doesn't cooperate with him, which makes the smaller male rises up suddenly from the dining table, leaving some speechless while one who understands; feels apologetic for it. If the lanky males worry about it, he just continues eating; though his heart tells him to hunt down the other male but there is a small part in him, keeps assuring him that the smaller won't do anything stupid to himself.

 

       Then, a bowl of rice with many side dishes on top of it is in front of the lanky male. Blinking, he notices that Ryeowook's grandfather places a spoon beside the bowl. Not raising his head from his food, Kyuhyun simply pushes it back to the right side, towards his daughter.

 

       "He will be mad at me."

 

       Just when Ryeohyun wants to shove the bowl again to the lanky male, Taemin who has been watching the interaction earnestly, seizes the bowl and heading to the garden, where probably the injured man is.

 

       It takes an eerie fifteen minutes of silence in the table to witness the said male comes back with a disappointed face, and the untouched bowl. Kyuhyun, who is now washing his own bowl, quickly rinses his hand before walking over to Taemin. Resting his hand on the younger shoulder, the lanky male takes the bowl. And without saying any words, Kyuhyun then fetches a glass of water with a straw before stepping out from the dining area.