Summer Break II

Be Extant, Stay Around

"  For a while, I thought I was doing fine

However, I started to realize it as time passes by; That I'm nothing without you  "

 

       In the end, Mr. Kim has to drive the designer's car while the owner of the car, Ryeowook, sits on the passenger seat in Donghae's silver car. The composer, who seems to be aroused regarding the sudden outburst, can't help to feel irritated towards the designer for not answering any of his questions as the younger male shuts his hearing sense once he hops onto the car.

       The unspoken words from the sudden calm Ryeowook is really bothering him as the smaller is quite chatterbox around him, unless something has happened which is now, he has no idea what it is. And that serves as the first clue for the composer. Second, the rare sight of the younger boy cries earlier confirming his suspicion. Taemin, the one with no emotion, only shows the bubbly side of him which is the complete opposite of the cry baby Ryeowook, is suddenly bursting out - that's not a good sign.

       Once they safely reach Ryeowook's house, the designer gently pushes his father into Donghae's car and asks for the composer to drive his father back to Kim residence. Donghae complies with the younger male and drives Mr. Kim back to the residence. And although, the composer wants to know badly what has happened, he can't seem to vomit the words suddenly. Thus, the journey to Kim residence is filled with a sound of silence.

       However, about fifteen minutes before they reach the destination, Mr. Kim recounts all the events - from the roses accident to the dinner part and lastly to the breakfast-cooking early in the morning. Despite that, Donghae feels extremely peculiar about the way Mr. Kim tells the story; it is in the third point of view as if he doesn't involve in those occurrences at all.

       After the second drive to the young designer's house, finally the composer able to piece the puzzle. Hence, he decides that he will going to stay with the designer for the time being. And, when Ryeowook did offer the composer in staying with him, the composer gladly agrees with it. But, what the composer fails to understand throughout the three-day staying, is that the composer will never going to comprehend the smaller male until the designer let him to, or when the composer is able to grasp something, it is too late for both of them - Ryeowook and him - or everyone who happen to be in the picture.



       D-1

       Ryeowook informs all his work-related contacts including Victoria that his phone has some technical problem. So, in the meantime, they all have to reach him via his email if they need his help.

       In which the taller counterpart fumes over the particular issue.

 

       To: Kim Ryeowook

       Subject: A Warning

       Why are you being so careless??! I can't possibly email the details every time I come across one!



       And the younger male simply replies. 

 

       To: Zhoumi

       Subject: Smile =D

       Yes, you can. Gather all the details as much as possible and then email them to me.





       D-2

       The composer realizes that the young designer always goes out early in the morning to work, after fixes breakfast for him and comes home only when the sky has turn darker purple which is transcending the office hours the smaller's company set on.

       "You're coming home late now. Why? Are there too many works to settle on?"

       Placing his beige knapsack along with the files on the coffee table, Ryeowook responds rather weakly. "...Hmm, sort of."

       The designer, who senses the pause, eyes the smaller male suspiciously, his fingers lightly drum on the smooth surface of the sofa. "Don't lie to me, Ryeowook. What kind of works? As far as I know you hate staying late at work."

       Sitting across the composer, the young designer closes his eyes briefly; his inside is burning like someone sets fire in him. Relaxing after seems like forever standing on his feet and fussing over the new store, he rests his tired limb comfortably on the sofa. He feels grateful, though - people keep coming to the store even after the launching yesterday. Plus, with no more freebies to give, it is quite fascinating that they are not taking advantage over the leverage.

       "Works like keeping the store clean every once in a while and making sure there is no out-of-stock items. And besides, it's not like I can avoid staying late at work anytime soon. It's due to happen."

       Although it is true that Ryeowook doesn't like to sit still knowing he can be a great help, but the composer thinks otherwise. Perhaps, the smaller chooses to do the somewhat trivial matters only to avoid the inevitable situation and it is a foolproof plan that the designer is not a liar either.

       "But, you and Zhoumi-hyung have hired people to do that particular job, do you? So, why you're bothering yourself with the job?" Donghae can't help to be skepticism about the whole coming home late. He can't hide the fact that this has sent alarm bell in his head.

       "Just so you know it is my store with Zhoumi-hyung. Therefore, whether I decide to bother myself with it or not, is not your business."

       Perplexed, Donghae asks in disbelief. "Did you hear yourself, Wook? That doesn't sound like you." However, the composer tones down his voice, intending to change the subject. They could argue this whole thing right then and there but that's not going to change anything when the morning comes. Ryeowook can be ruthless, sometimes. "But, never mind. I have some reminder for you. Have you called Ryeohyun?"

       No response comes. Maybe the composer should give more time for the younger male to answer him, but the simple question doesn't supposed to be the think-twice job. It's not that hard to begin with.

       "You don't? Call her now," Donghae demands, disappointment colors the handsome features.

       "My phone has broken."

       "What? When?" Donghae's voice rises unconsciously.

       "Two days ago."

       "Two days ago... You said your phone is broken, did you break it on purpose?" Rubbing his temple lightly while gazing on the rug that covered the bamboo flooring, he raises his head and intensely stares at the smaller. Then, a restraint shout escapes his throat. "Again, this is not you!" His voice tone goes down a notch, in difficulty. "You are not so irresponsible to do any of this. What happen to you? Tell me. I'll solve it for you." Almost feels like he's begging for life.

       The smaller firmly holds his gaze with the same intensity as in saying did-you-really-think-you-can-solve-it-for-me; challenge burning the younger male's eyes. And Ryeowook decides to soften his gaze when the older of the two, fishes a sophisticated phone and it in front of him.

       "Fine, take this. Call her."

       "It's already late." Ryeowook hates the composer for has his own way to make the smaller male accedes to the older male's request.

       Donghae sounds desperate that he almost cries out in frustration. "Then, just type a message."

       Simply staring at the small device, the smaller male leans back to the backrest; battling against the desire to snatch the phone. "I don't want to."

       Calming himself first, Donghae questions the smaller odd actions. "Why? I don't understand. Clearly, you miss her. Why'd you choose to do this?" But, the composer slowly loses himself as the hidden anger begins fueling his sense. "No, don't tell me lies. You know Ryeowook, I agree with Taemin. We both can't help ourselves from running towards your side when we think you need our help only to be rejected in the end. And despite that, we will keep on trying to offer some help knowing that you're going to push us aside, all over again."

       The elder of the two, breathes a long sigh. "I don't know why I agree to stay with you. Did you really want me to stay with you in the first place? I thought you need my company but obviously, you don't, right?"

       Fortunately, the composer still has a little bit sanity in him that he manages to pull himself together. His chest heaves up and down erratically as he's fighting with the demon inside him, in order not to beat the crap out of the younger male's body.

       Willing for his heart rate to slow down before he decides to speak, silence slides in. Donghae shut his eyes tightly that he almost thought the words he hears after sometimes, are just a dream. But, the soft voice interlacing with hurt is too unbearable to be just a state of reverie.

       "If you want to leave, you're free to go. I'm sorry for the trouble. Thanks for putting up and staying with me. Lock the door once you're leaving."
 

 

A/N: I think it's best if I portray Taemin as the younger brother, not more than that. Just, he is a bit protective towards his hyung and obviously he must still be hurting during the eight years span to act that way. And also the next part would be longer, just want to inform you. :)