Wind Goddess

Reincarnation

Vast green lands surrounded her, a scenery of joy and peace. Her hand caressed the wind, feeling a tingling sensation on her palms. She smiled as the wind blew stronger, everything turning silent. She looked to the front, the wind forming the figure of a woman, thing and tall, walking towards her. She lowered her hands as she looked at her. Her gaze went down, towards her own body. A 17th century dress covered her body, black as the night, with white and purple. She looked to the front, the figure of the woman flowing in front of her. Her face the epitome of peace, a smile plastered on her face as she extended her hands towards Chaerin.

“My powers are bestowed on you, my dear sister, bringer of peace, of power and rightness.” The woman whispered as she put her hands on Chaerin’s hands. Chaerin gasped as she felt the wind running through her veins, hurting every piece of her body. “Be prepared, my brethren will bestow on you what was taken, and shall your greatness be full again, our dear sister.” And she disappeared with a breeze. Chaerin fell on her knees, panting as she felt the breeze through her body.

She sat up straight, panting and sweating as she tried to recover her senses. She was in Jonghyun’s car, the A/C at the highest, though she still felt the burning within her. She panted as she put her face on her hands, inhaling deeply. Jonghyun put a hand on her shoulder and caressed her.

“Everything alright?” He said. She shook her head as she panted, the burning growing by the minute.

“I’m burning!” She shrieked as she threw herself back, fighting for air. She heard the tires screeching and the car stopped. Jonghyun got out of the car and opened her door, holding her tight as he put her out of the car.

“Breath in.” He said. She tried to do so, but her lungs wouldn’t cooperate. She gasped for air as he walked her towards the woods. She hadn’t noticed they were outside town, but the woods surrounding her told her so. She breath in, every breathe would burn down to her stomach.

“I… can’t…” She panted. He let her go and she fell on the ground, her nails digging on it. She shook her head as she closed her eyes, trying to follow Jiyong’s advice to let it all out. She felt her veins exploding within her as she imagined all of it going out. She heard Jonghyun’s laughter from behind, but she continued to imagine all the burning and pressure out of her body.

“Gosh! Look at that!” Jonghyun screamed as he laughed. Chaerin slowly opened her eyes, and she fell back looking at her surroundings. Fire was burning the woods as a strong wind blew it away. It was like a movie, the wind blowing uncontrollably as the fire tried to burn everything at its way. Chaerin shrieked as she tried to run, but to her surprise, everything subsided, the wind had stopped blowing and the fire had gone out.

“What was that?!” She shrieked as she pointed at the now charred trees.

“That was you, I guess the Wind Goddess gave you back the control of wind.” Jonghyun said as he extended a hand towards Chaerin.

“Wind Goddess?” Chaerin said as she walked towards Jonghyun. He smiled and nodded.

“There is an entity for every element. The Wind belongs to the Goddess Jin, she controls it, and gives it to whoever she thinks is righteous enough to bear it.” Jonghyun said. “The Fire belongs to the God Din, they say Jin and Din are married, he gives it to those who are vicious enough. The fire consumes, the Wind refreshes and clears the mind, hence that’s why Jin gave it to you. Water cleanse our souls, giving its bearer the power of healing.” He explained. Chaerin nodded as she walked back to the car. “It is said that Earth gives you the power of the crops and earth, its goddess, Gaia, only appears to those who have the healing of water, the clarity of wind and the will of the fire. It is the last element bestowed on a witch.”

“That’s impressive.” Chaerin said. “And you said I used to bear them all?”

“There’s another element we still don’t know about it. Spirit, of all that it’s great, the control of minds. Yes, I said you had them all.” Jonghyun explained. “In darker times, you were of great importance for the people, the higher witch, the Insegnante. Many witches were under your tutelage, under your guidance.”

“I honestly can’t understand this.” Chaerin said, her hand on her forehead. “It’s unbelievable.”

“You were blessed with all the Gods for one reason, and that reason prevails. Chaerin, there’s more danger out there than you can imagine, and since your destiny was taken off your hands, there are things scouring earth that still want to cast evil.” Jonghyun said as they got into the car. “Evil can corrupt us, warlocks and witches. It gives us power, far greater than we can imagine, that’s why the Gods designate an Insegnante, to lead those who are lost.”

“And what happened to me.” She said. Jonghyun looked down, then at her and smiled.

“This is not the time, we still need to find Dara.”

“And what’s Dara? A Witch too?” Chaerin said. Jonghyun nodded.

“She’s your second, an apprentice. She was to be your successor, an Insegnante.” Jonghyun said. Chaerin nodded as she looked forward, Jonghyun was driving full speed, completely silent as Chaerin fidgeted with her hands.

“And what happened to those under my guidance?” Chaerin said. Jonghyun let out a sigh and touched her hand.

“There’s no need to bother with the past anymore.” He said. Chaerin scoffed and crossed her hands.

“No need? The past is chasing me right now. I have the right to know.”

“Then at your time you’ll learn.” Jonghyun said. “Not before.” And he drove. She let out a sigh and nodded, looking at the road. They were nearing the end of the woods. Jonghyun entered a hidden path through the woods, and she noticed the flowers slowly blooming as they went by. She put her face close to the window as she saw the magnificent of them. Flowers of all colors covered the place, and she noticed the path led towards a house. A cottage made of wood, filled with blooming flowers, as if greeting them.

Jonghyun stopped the car in front of the cottage and sighed. “We’re here.” He said as he got out of the car. Chaerin looked at the cottage and saw the front door opening and Dara stepped out.

“Jonghyun,” She said out of breath, her voice depicting her relieve. “The flowers told me you were arriving. I am glad.” She said as she hugged Jonghyun. He smiled and hugged her while Chaerin slowly got out of the car. Dara looked at her and smiled. She looked gorgeous and small in her white loose blouse and white skirt. A 60’s fashion made of perfection with blue decorations.

“Chaerin.” She said as she walked towards her. Chaerin smiled weakly at her and nodded. Dara stood in front of her, holding her hands. “It’s all new, but it is your life.” She said. Chaerin nodded and Dara hugged her. She closed her eyes as tears fell off her eyes. She remembered every day she had arrived home and Dara was there, waiting for her. Every night they spent talking about nonsense. Everything seemed so distant now, so blurry, a memory of a shallow past, a shallow life.

“It was all a lie.” Chaerin murmured. Dara pulled away, her face a frown.

“Nothing was. We couldn’t tell you nothing until the first element claimed you.” Dara said. “We have been keeping you in the shadows, hiding you for your own protection, we didn’t lie; we protected you.” She said as she put a hand on her elbow.

“What about our life? Our past?”

“Come inside, we’ll answer all your questions.” Dara said and led them in. Chaerin inhaled the essence of the house, and incense burning somewhere. The place was cold, but not uncomfortable. It was warm inside, the furniture made of wood, the walls decorated with feathers, antique decorations, dream catchers and pictures of the past. The chimney was made of rocks, and a few pictures were decorating the little table next to it. Chaerin noticed there were too many pictures around the house, one of them being a recent picture of her, Dara and Jonghyun at a beach. Chaerin looked at one at the far end of the living room, the same picture she had seen in her dreams. Jiyong and her, hugging each other, smiles spread across their faces as their hands intertwined, though she couldn’t see the resemblance.

Jonghyun stood next to her, eyeing the picture. “I don’t see any resemblance.” Chaerin muttered. Jonghyun let out a sigh and nodded.

“It’s because you’re from different mothers.” He said. Chaerin nodded and looked at him.

“But we’re not related now, are we?” She said and Jonghyun shook his head.

“Not at all.” He said as he walked towards the sofa and sat. Chaerin let out a sigh and looked at the picture under the portrait she was seeing. It was a picture of Dara dressed in a 17th century dress. It was green with white, her face the same, although her hair was black and slick. Dara walked into the living room with a tray in her hands and set it on the coffee table.

“I was making cookies before you arrived.” She said as she grabbed one and ate it, slowly sitting on the chair next to the sofa. Chaerin walked there and grabbed one, her stomach screaming for it. She devoured the first one, then grabbed another.

“When was the last time you fed her, Jonghyun?” Dara said as she looked at Chaerin. She had eaten almost half the plate of cookies.

“It was too hectic, with Jiyong’s presence and all.”

“Jiyong was there?” Dara said and Chaerin looked at her. Jonghyun nodded and grabbed a cookie.

“He was, and they almost burned my sofa.” Jonghyun said as he ate his cookie. Dara put a hand on her chest and looked at Chaerin.

“Oh my, you’re out of control.” She said. Chaerin raised an eyebrow. “And what did he told you? That Jiyong?”

“He said they were siblings.” Jonghyun said. Dara widened her eyes and looked at Jonghyun. “In their previous life.” Chaerin noticed their expressions. Jonghyun had a raised eyebrow and Dara a shocked expression.

“He said that?” She said and Jonghyun nodded.

“And that he was a warlock.” Chaerin said. “And I was a witch.”

“Well, that is true, for one.” Dara said, the hand on her chest slowly going down to her lap. “It is true we are witches, last survivors of the hunt, thank you.”

“Of the hunt?”

“The Witch’s trial, I told you that.” Jonghyun said. Chaerin nodded and put her hands on her lap.

“I apologize, it’s still confusing.” She said. Dara smiled and nodded.

“It is,” She said as she crossed her legs. “I believe Jonghyun has filled you with the necessary, am I right?”

“Who’s Alina?” Chaerin said. Dara stopped and looked at her with wide eyes.

“A-Alina? Well, she’s a dark witch.” Dara said. “One very, very dark.”

“I saw a vision where I called her sister.”

“We’re all sisters, Chaerin. All witches are.” Dara said.

“So we’re not blood related?” She asked and Dara shook her head.

“Mostly all of those who were once blood related to you are not anymore. You’ve reincarnated, so it’s basically just a spiritual bond.” Jonghyun said as he served her a cup of juice. Chaerin grabbed the cup he handed her and sipped it.

“I still don’t get it, why me?” She said as she held the cup on her hands. Dara smiled and stood up.

“Because you were once the Insegnante, now you have to finish what was started.” She said. Chaerin nodded, her vision becoming blurry, her eyelids heavy. The juice fell from her hands as she tried to stand up.

“You drugged her?” She heard Jonghyun’s agitated voice saying in the distance.

“She needs to sleep.” Dara said in the distance. Chaerin stood up and fell on top of the coffee table. She knew she had injured herself, but everything seemed so distant, so long, and so shallow. She took a deep breath as she tried to keep her eyes open. Jonghyun was hovering on top of her, his hands carrying her as she let her head hung. He put her close to his chest and walked. She could only see the wooden ceiling over them, until everything turn dark, and only the distant voices of them could be heard.

‘Trust me, it is for the best.’

‘Was this Jiyong’s idea?’

‘No, it was mine, but he was alright with it.’

‘This is so wrong.’

‘It is done already.’