Hidden

Reincarnation

The space between them had diminished to almost nothing. Breathing steadily but strong, Chaerin looked at him. She had felt the need to kiss him, to touch him, but something forbid her from doing so. The need grew stronger, almost painful as he smirked at her, looking from her head to her toes.

“The truth.” He whispered, touching a strand of her hair. She looked down at his hands, and her eyes widened as she noticed her hair was no longer blonde, but brown. He played with her hair on his fingers, letting it go slowly as he touched her arm.

“Why are you doing this?” She asked out of breath. Jiyong smiled and looked into her eyes. He was taller than her, though for a moment, he looked the same height as her.

“Because the truth is the only thing you’ll have from me.” He whispered as he brushed his lips on her cheek. She trembled. “I am not who I say I am, and you are not who they say you are.” He whispered. She gulped, and the door opening hastily made her jump in surprise. She turned around as Jiyong moved a bit away, and her eyes widened.

Jonghyun and Jiyong had entered the living room. Jiyong had narrow, furious eyes, so did Jonghyun. “W-What?” Chaerin said as she turned around to look at the Jiyong in her back. He was laughing as his hair slowly turned red. His eyes gleamed brighter, his height shortening.

“I believe, Alina, you must find a better disguise.” Jiyong said as he walked towards them. Chaerin put a hand on her chest and moved away, bumping into Jonghyun’s chest.

“I like this one, why must I change it?” The red-haired Jiyong said. Chaerin squinted her eyes as his eyes got bigger, his skin whiter.

“I believe this is not the first time you’ve used it, am I right?” The dark-haired Jiyong said with a hand extended, sparks gleaming on it. The red-haired one smirked, and slowly, his face changed completely, and Chaerin held her breath as she realized it was no other than Alina. Her clothes changed from the leathered pants and white shirt to a black and red dress, down to her toes.

“No, it’s not.” She said. In that moment, Dara stormed in, and her eyes gleamed red as soon as she saw Alina in the center of the living room.

“Evil is scouring on my house… I see.” Dara said. Jonghyun smiled and nodded.

“The flowers, it’s a good system.” He said as he put Chaerin at his back. Chaerin was looking at Alina with narrow eyes. Do not fear her.

“The question is, how did you managed to get in?” Jiyong said. Alina smirked and touched the portrait. Both Jiyong’s and Chaerin’s face frowned, their hair turning red as their eyes gleamed with fire. Alina caressed it, and with one nail, she scratched the foot of it.

“I even tricked your little portrait, I believe your spells are running out of strength.” Alina said as she walked closer to Jiyong. “We should be together, we could do wonders, you and me.”

“I have neglected that offer a long time ago, what makes you think I’ll take it now?” Jiyong hissed. Alina smirked and looked at Chaerin.

“A pity, one spell gone wrong.” She said. Jiyong scoffed and turned around, looking at Alina with hatred.

“I think it came out as you wanted.” He hissed. Alina frowned and made a gesture of disgust.

“Do you think I wanted to have to endure this over and over again?” She said in a burst of rage. Jiyong narrowed his eyes as he looked at her. “It obviously came out wrong!”

“Making me suffer, wasn’t that your first plan?” Jiyong hissed. Alina smirked and nodded.

“It was, but I never thought I would get involved. So many years, centuries, watching it over and over again, never having you. It’s torture.” She said. Jiyong scoffed and walked towards the sofa, touching it with his index finger.

“A torture you say? What about having to watch her die every time, not being able to die with her? Don’t talk about torture.” He said. Chaerin looked at him, his eyes twitched and she saw his suffering, all exposed in a split of a second.

“Die with her? Was that what you wanted?” Alina said. Jiyong sat on the sofa and crossed her legs. He looked at Chaerin, she held her breath as he looked into her eyes. She felt exposed, vulnerable, and then he looked at Alina and nodded.

“But it is of no use now, I have grown used to eternity.” He said. Alina scoffed and looked at Chaerin.

“For her? What can she give you that I can’t?” Alina said, and her eye sparkled. Chaerin felt her body burning with rage. She started to tremble as she gripped Jonghyun’s arms tighter. “Just look at her, clinging onto her guardian instead of you. She doesn’t loves you like I do.”

“It is not love but power you seek, and I cannot give you that.” Jiyong said. Alina scoffed and Jonghyun took another step back, dragging Chaerin with him. She wanted to kick him and run towards Alina, pulling her hair until she leave her bald.

“I seek love, Traven. I seek your love. Why is it so hard?” She said in a soft voice, kneeling in front of him.

“It’s something I can’t give you, Alina.” He said.

“Bom,” Alina said as she stood up. “My name is Bom, Alina died the moment you leaved her for that filthy .” She said and pointed a fiery finger at Chaerin.

“Don’t.” Jiyong said as he stood up. Alina smirked.

“I can’t hurt her, unfortunately.” She said, but the spark of fire protruded from her finger. It hit Jonghyun’s chest, burning his skin until it got into his flesh. Jonghyun grunted as he fell on the floor, crouched as he contained the pain. “But I can torture her.”

“Stop, please!” Chaerin screamed as she held Jonghyun. He was gleaming red all over, his eyes disoriented as his body spasm on the floor. Chaerin touched his chest, where the burnt mark was. She tried to heal him, but it wasn’t working.

“Enough, Bom.” Jiyong said. Alina laughed and lowered her arm. Jonghyun stopped spasm, but his body was emanating a black smoke. Chaerin put her head on his chest as she cried. He was panting and whimpering, and she tried with all her might to heal him.

“I will find the way to kill her, and you will have to see, for if she dies by my hand, you will be forever bound to live without her.” Alina said with laughter as flames blazed around her. “Your Gods will perish, and without them, your damned Insegnante will wither!” With a last of flames, she disappeared. Chaerin looked up at Jiyong, he had his eyes widened at the charred mark on the floor.

“Help!” Chaerin shrieked. Dara, who had been held back, ran towards her.

“Forgive me, she was forcing me to stay.” Dara said as she put a hand on Jonghyun’s chest.

“We have to leave.” Jiyong muttered. Dara grabbed Chaerin’s hand and put them both on Jonghyun’s chest.

“I will need your help, Insegnante.” Dara said. Chaerin gulped as she put her hands on Jonghyun’s chest. She imagined water protruding from her hands, and as she did, she felt Jonghyun’s body spasm again. He screamed and grunted as his hands gripped her body. She flinched as his nails dug into her skin, but she continued. With another scream, his body arched, and a blue flame escaped his mouth. Chaerin fell back, along with Dara, and Jonghyun’s body fell unconsciously on the floor.

“Jonghyun!” Chaerin shrieked as she jumped on his chest, listening to his lungs. His heart was beating, his lungs working, he was just unconscious.

“We took out the flames, he’s going to be ok.” Dara said as she stood up, balancing herself with the sofa. Jiyong, who was looking at the portrait, let out a sigh.

“It’s time to go back.” He said. Chaerin looked up at him.

“Go where?” She said with trembling voice. He turned around and looked at Dara.

“Back to the Coven.”

His heart ache like nothing else. He had seen many things on his long life, but life could always give him surprises. Realization hit him every day, and for the first time, he admitted there were still new things to discover, to know. As he looked to the front, where Chaerin was tending Jonghyun on the sofa, the aching on his heart grew. Dara was talking and talking, explaining how Chaerin wasn’t ready to go back, and how it wasn’t safe for her to leave the place yet.

“If you hadn’t noticed, my dear Dara, it is not safe here either.” Jiyong said out of breath. He had been sighing so much he hadn’t noticed how much air he had let loose. Chaerin looked at him with weak eyes, and he smiled weakly back at her.

“Then let’s find some other place.” Dara said. Jiyong shook his head as he put his hands on his lap.

“No, her place is on the Coven, that’s our place.” He said. “We have been away long enough.”

“Where is this place?” Chaerin asked. Jiyong smiled as he looked at her. She looked so young with her brown hair. Her eyes rounded as curiosity took the best of her. He had remembered that face with all his soul, a face he loved and cherished. Every time he wanted to surprise her, he would make her curious, just to see that same face. Odd, it was, to have the same face in different lives, but after all, it was her, only her.

“You have seen it, many times.” Jiyong said with a soft voice. Chaerin frowned. “Oh yes, in your visions.” He said, and as if it was normal, he looked into her eyes, into her mind. I have showed it to you many times. He said. Chaerin widened her eyes and jumped slightly. He smiled and nodded.

“H-How did you do that?” She said.

I have done it so many times, now you’re asking how? She put a hand on her forehead and shook her head. “It is something you will learn soon. Pushing into someone else’s mind, only we can do it.” He said aloud.

“We can?” She said and he nodded.

“That was makes us the Insegnantes. But you will have to wait.” He said and stood up. Dara was still walking in circles, talking about how they shouldn’t just leave. He walked towards her and put his hands on her shoulders. She looked at him and let out a sigh.

“I’m just worried.” She said. Jiyong smiled and nodded.

“You always are my sister, but it is time to let go.” He said. Dara nodded and hugged him. He smiled and hugged her back, and by the corner of his eyes, he saw Chaerin frowning as she put a hand on Jonghyun’s arm. Jiyong smiled and pulled away, caressing Dara’s face. “Pack now, let’s leave as soon as possible.”

“But Jonghyun, he’s still unconscious.” Chaerin said. Jiyong looked at her, then at Jonghyun and walked towards him. He put a hand on his forehead and took a deep breath, concentrating on his powers. The burning escaped his hand and touched Jonghyun’s body, and he bolted upright, panting. Jiyong smirked and dusted his hand. Chaerin had her eyes wide and Jonghyun looked at Jiyong as he nodded, swallowing.

“T-Thanks man.” Jonghyun muttered as he rested his back on the sofa. He looked at Chaerin and smiled as she hugged him. Jiyong straightened his face and swallowed, looking to the side.

“Well, let’s go.” He said and walked hastily towards his room. Jiyong closed the door as he entered and rested his back on the door, taking deep breaths as he looked around, his eyes disoriented. He put a hand on his forehead and let out deep breaths, trying to control his self. He noticed the burning on his body, and the mirror at the foot of his bed showed his reflection, his hair was changing colors rapidly, from blue to red, to white and then back to brown. He missed the green, but he knew he had to wait, he still had it within himself, a few strands of green decorated his head, but he still had no true power over matter.

With shaky steps, he walked forward, looking at the luggage at the foot of the bed, next to the mirror. He moved his hand, extending it towards the luggage. It trembled, but didn’t moved. He let out a sigh as he looked down at his hands, green appeared on his nails, then quickly change to normal. He shook his head and grabbed the luggage, throwing it onto the bed. It sprawled open as he grabbed random clothes and threw them inside. He could feel the fire burning inside, moving freely through his veins as he thought of Chaerin’s affection towards Jonghyun. He shook his head and threw a book on his luggage. He stopped and looked at it, not quite sure why. He looked at it, at its cover, and as if a click was touched on his mind, he remembered.

“This is…” He muttered as he took it and looked at it. “No, it can’t be.” He muttered again as he opened it. He touched the handwriting on its first page, Cantus Dei. He frowned as he remembered whose handwriting was that. “Joselyn…” He muttered. He read the next page, everything written in Latin, their native language.

‘For all whose divine intervention was granted, my own self was bestowed upon earth, and none shall be greater than the Gods, for they are the divine creators of all that’s holy, of all that’s touched.’

He shook his head as he remembered her writing that book. It was a book made for the Insegnante. For nights she had been having visions of another woman taking her place, her time had come, and he had told her that pages were the only thing that prevailed through time. He continued reading spell after spell, remembering well why she had done that and why.

“It was her book spell, wasn’t it?” Dara said as she entered Jiyong’s room. He looked at her as he closed the book, putting it back on the luggage.

“Yes, it was.” He said. “But it’s unfinished, she never got to finish it, never got to properly train the next Insegnante.” He muttered. Dara let out a sigh and nodded.

“The cycle is still going on around, we have to protect the Divine Creation.” Dara said as she put a hand on Jiyong’s shoulder. Jiyong nodded.

“I was ready to give up my powers, was ready to give them away.” He said. Dara nodded as she let out a sigh.

“It’s all starting again, let us hope this time we can finally end this.” She said as she touched the book. “You know, I was too afraid to become the Insegnante, but I never really told her.” Jiyong gave her a crooked smile.

“We knew.” He said. Dara smiled and nodded.

“It is too much of a responsibility, I doubt I can do it.” She said as she closed the luggage. Jiyong put a hand over her shoulder and gave her a back hug.

“You have been taking that responsibility long ago, it is no different, really.” He said as he rested his head on her shoulder. She smiled as she put a hand over his. He heard a faint knock on his door, and he quickly looked, letting go of Dara when he saw Chaerin standing there with a backpack over her shoulder.

“We’re ready to go.” She said. Jiyong smiled and nodded, grabbing his own luggage.

“Dara, hide the place while we put the things on the car.” He said.

“I thought we had brooms and all.” Chaerin said when Jiyong walked towards her. He stopped and looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“Brooms?” He said. Chaerin shrugged.

“To fly. Don’t witches use brooms to fly on the night?” She said. Jiyong looked at Dara, and she shrugged with a confused expression.

“We don’t fly, Chaerin.” He said. Chaerin bit her lip as she shrugged, a clear mocking expression decorated her face. He scoffed as he shook his head and walked out. He saw Jonghyun already putting the luggage on the car. Jiyong went towards him to help.

“I got it.” Jonghyun said as he put another bag on the car. Jiyong grabbed his own luggage and put it on the car.

“No, let me help.” He said, and when he crouched to grab another one, his hand collided with Jonghyun’s. He smiled and allowed him to take it. “Are you mad, by any chance?” Jiyong said as he put a hand on the car, resting his weight on it. Jonghyun grunted and finished loading the car, closing the door with haste.

“No.” He simply said and walked towards the front. Jiyong followed.

“Are you sure? You’re attitude speaks of something else.” He said. Jonghyun let out a chuckled and opened the front door, throwing another bag in.

“Right, mind reader.” He said. Jiyong smiled and grabbed Jonghyun’s shoulder. They were almost the same height, but Jonghyun was broader, bigger, while Jiyong was slim, more delicate.

“Completely proven, what’s wrong?” He said. Jonghyun took a deep breath, his chest inflating under his tight white shirt.

“It’s you, it’s always you. She can’t see anything but you.” Jonghyun said. Jiyong looked down and nodded.

“I didn’t stepped in.” He said. Jonghyun nodded and put his hands on his silver blonde hair, throwing it to the back.

“I know, that’s what angers me the most, I can’t even start to make her look at me because she’s programed to look at you.” He said ruffling his hair. Jiyong chuckled and put his right hand on his shoulder, looking at him with the intensity of who he was.

“I have never wanted more than getting rid of this, but I can’t. You know I’m mourning, and for some reason, I can’t see her as I used to see Joselyn. She’s not my Joselyn.” Jiyong said. Jonghyun put his hand right hand over Jiyong shoulder, and now both of them where touching each other.

“She still doesn’t knows, but she suffers that lost. I can see it in her eyes.” Jonghyun said. Jiyong chuckled and looked down.

“It’s not possible, she doesn’t knows.”

“She does, she has seen it.” Jonghyun said. Jiyong looked at him with a pained expression. He had always respected Jonghyun, as a friend, as a companion, thought he had always envied him, he admired him, and even loved him.

“I can’t be with her, not anymore.” Jiyong said and let go of Jonghyun, walking towards the right side of the car. Chaerin and Dara where walking towards them, Chaerin smiling as Dara talked to her, both holding each other’s hand. “It is a good thing, really, that she can be surrounded by those who had seen her grow. I’m thankful.” Jiyong said and got into the car, resting his head on the passenger’s seat. He heard the other doors opening, and the chatter got louder as all of them got into the car. He smiled, thought inside, he felt empty, completely alone. The aching on his heart worsened, and as he heard her voice, the same melodic voice he had always loved, he knew she was the same person, but he remembered how Joselyn vanished, turning into something new, something he had never seen, the image broke him. He had lost her forever, and just like that, he knew it was a new beginning, one he didn’t wanted to be part of, never.

 


Gily's Notes: Two updates for today... Extra long chapter I believe... enjoy!

Happy Reading ~ 

Gily ♥