Errands

Reincarnation

The wind blew softly through the trees, making them dance in perfect harmony with her heart beat. Her feet were cold, the ground was wet, but her mind didn’t cared. The breezed touched her skin softly, making her smile in pure bliss. The harmonic melody of the wind penetrated her soul, and her hands moved around, feeling the coldness and smoothness of the wind, one that had become one with her, with her mind, her soul, her heart.

The wind blew hard, her hair falling everywhere as she slowly felt herself falling to the ground. With a soft chuckle, she turned around, her hands balancing herself as she lifted herself up, only to realize she was standing over a pile of flesh, bone and blood. Her mind screamed in fear, though her body didn’t reacted on it. She stood up, looking at her surroundings, the withered forest broke her heart, but she didn’t even flinched. With steady steps, she walked towards a clearing, her feet breaking the bones, splashing the bones and sinking the flesh. The sound bothered her, but her mind was focused on a figure in the middle of the clearing.

As she got closer, the figure slowly turned, and his face got revealed to her. Jonghyun, his eyes as beautifully brown as she remembered them, his hair silvery blonde, his hands deep into the pockets of his black leathered pants while his white shirt stuck to his skin, his broad shoulders and his biceps. She smiled as she got closer, more bones breaking under her feet as she approached him. He was smiling at her, his hand slowly extending towards her, and she took it gratefully, feeling the warmth on him, the familiarity of her own home, even if it was all a lie.

“The flesh is one with the power.” She heard someone saying, it wasn’t Jonghyun, he was just smiling at her as he held her hand. “And the power will be etched to the skin, the strength become one with the power.

“Jonghyun…” Chaerin said. He nodded as he led her to his side. She looked to the front, and saw rivers of blood, corpses floating on the blood as bones kept pilling on the ground. “What is this?”

“The real world.” He said, still smiling. “My world.”

“No, this is not your world.” She said, still looking at the rivers of blood.

“It is now, but it will be brighter, if you’re with me.” He said, and slowly, the scenery changed, the water got clear, the trees bloomed green and the flowers danced all around the forest. The bones disappeared, the roots of the trees caressing the ground as the sun touched them, illuminating the forest in an eerie glow of happiness.

“You were the one who left.” Chaerin said.

“We don’t belong there, you and I.” He said, now turning towards her. “We never belonged there, come with me.”

“Where?”

“Away from there, from him.” He said and slowly disappeared.

“Jonghyun!” Chaerin said as she tried to touch him, but he was just a memory, just part of the wind.

“Come with me, Chaerin.” He said and vanished. The whole scenery turned dark, hands touching her as she tried to run. She shook her head and ran faster, trying to find a place to hide, but there was nothing more than darkness, pure darkness.

“Chaerin, wake up.” She heard in the distance. She shook her head as tears fell from her eyes. “Chaerin, come back.”

“Where are you?!” She screamed, and one hand touched her cheek, and she stopped, closing her eyes as she felt the hand pulling her back. With a loud gasp, she sat up, panting as she tried to concentrate on her surroundings. Jiyong was sitting next to her, his hand slowly lowering until it landed on his lap. She panted as she looked at it, at his blue eyes and brown/blue hair.

“Where am I?” She panted. Jiyong smiled and looked at her hands.

“You’re home.” He said. She shook her head and kicked the sheets away. She was sweating all over, feeling suffocated and thirsty.

“No, this is not my home.” She said. Jiyong stood up, grabbing a glass of water that was on the nightstand. He handed it to her. Chaerin hesitated, but the burning sensation on kicked her, and she grabbed it, drinking it in one go.

“Chaerin, we need to talk.” He said. Chaerin gulped down the remaining of the water and set the glass aside, looking at him with narrow eyes.

“Oh yes, we do.” She said as she stood up. She felt dizzy, but shook it off as she held onto the wall. She was in her room, or at least, the one they gave her.

“About your dream…”

“Where you spying my dreams again?” She said, her voice a bit more harsh that she intended to. Jiyong shook his head.

“No, I can’t. I’m too weak to even do that small enchanting.” He said. His eyes looked honest, too honest for her own good.

“Then how do you know?”

“You were murmuring, did you know you sleep talk?” He said. Chaerin shook her head.

“Where you with me the whole time?”

“Since I woke up, yes.” He said. She felt her anger subsiding, and for a moment, she felt grateful, completely taken out of guard.

“Why?”

“I don’t know, really. I just felt like being with you.” He said as he shrugged. She nodded, her legs shaking. “You might as well sit down, you’ve been out for more than 20 hours. You must be weak.”

“Why was I out?”

“You tried to… save me…” He said. She nodded.

“I know, but why?”

“We no longer can use our powers without a price, since we have them all. They drain us. The more we use them, the more we pay. It drains our energies, we can die if we don’t control it.” He said. Chaerin narrowed her eyes.

“Is there a way to regain energies?” She asked and Jiyong lowered his face.

“No, there’s none.” He said. Chaerin nodded.

“So we’re just going to die?”

“No, we can avoid using our powers. It’s easy.”

“But it doesn’t makes any sense, I mean, why would we have them if we can’t use them?” She said and Jiyong shrugged.

“Blame the Gods.” He said. Chaerin looked down, her mind drifting back towards the night of The Summoning.

“What is that about our powers are one with the flesh?” She asked. She noticed Jiyong’s eyes slightly widening, then he smiled and nodded, hiding his slight shock.

“Well, the reason why our powers drain us is because they become part of us. Once we have them all, its strength is on our vitality.” He said. Chaerin nodded. His eyes still looked aware, as if he was hiding something.

“Vitality, that’s just wrong.” She said. Jiyong chuckled and nodded.

“Indeed it is.” He said and stood up. Chaerin was going to say something else, anything that could get her out of her confusion, but he extended his hand towards her, and she had to hold in a gasp. His hand looked weak, it trembled, but she could still see the firmness of him, still see who he was. “Come with me tonight.”

“Where?”

“I have an errand to do, and it will do you good to get out from the manor for a while.” He said. She nodded and grabbed his hand.

The night was slowly arising, the coldness of it being felt all over the manor. People all around it were minding their own business, some having fun in the backyard, some others training, while a few got ready for the night. Buttoning up a black shirt, Jiyong looked at himself in his full panel mirror. His pants were as tight as he loved them, made of shining leather. Black boots shall do the trick. He rolled up the sleeves, showing a few golden bracelets. A smirk on his face while he styled his hair showed his satisfaction on his style that night.

“, those roots are showing.” He murmured as he re-did the hairstyle. From an up-do to a messy, loose hair. The golden was mixing with the black, showing his real hair color. With another smirk and a little dust of his black shirt, he grabbed a black jacket and walked out of the room. As he walked towards Chaerin’s room, he noticed she was already heading out towards the stairs. His mouth almost fell as he looked at her, her slim and perfect legs showing as she wore some black leathered short pants and a black short shirt with a transparent, mesh shirt over it. She wore black stiletto boots, her hair loose with a few bracelets on her wrists and a single, silver pendant on her neck.

“Where are we exactly going?” She asked as soon as she saw Jiyong. He smiled at her as he swallowed.

“Clubbing.” He simply said. She narrowed her eyes, but shrugged it off and nodded. Jiyong led her towards his car, a white Bentley parked just outside of the manor. They walked silently through the roads until they reached it, and he opened the door for her to get in.

“And what errand are you going to do in a club?” Chaerin said as she put on her seatbelt. Jiyong snickered as he started the engine, driving off the Manor full speed.

“Well, we do need another lieutenant.” He said without looking at her. She nodded, not really understanding, and looked to the front. Her eyes widened as she realized he was driving back towards her town. The forest looked blurry as he drove, and not long after, the buildings and the streets got into view.

“Lieutenant?” Chaerin said, feeling a bit scared at Jiyong’s driving skills. He was good, she couldn’t deny it, but something in her mind told her he came from an era that the horses were the only transportation, and even if he looked completely used to this era, she was still scared.

“Well, Jonghyun’s gone right? We need another Guardian to replace him.” Jiyong said. Chaerin felt a sinking feeling on her heart, but let it go as quick as it came.

“Replace him?”

“There’s a second in command in the Guardian unit, of course. I am looking for him.” Jiyong explained. “Jonghyun’s not coming back Chaerin, he can’t.”

“I know…” She said, sulking as she looked to the road.

They went through Chaerin’s old apartment, and she felt the need to go back, to take a few of her clothes and personal stuffs, but didn’t dared to ask Jiyong if they could. Her heart stopped as he parked his car in front of the club she used to work at. Her mind suddenly filled with memories of her life there, of Jonghyun picking her up at 3am when she couldn’t drive because of tiredness, or they clubbing there and enjoying life. It was terrible, thinking how much he had lied, but then again, that life they spent enjoying the “adulthood” was real, he was real, he was always there for her whenever she needed him. That was real enough for her.

“We’re here.”

“I used to work here.” Chaerin said, her tone serious.

“I know.” Jiyong said as he opened his door. “And you may know the guy.” He left the car, looking at her with a seductive smile. She opened her door and got out, and he stood in front of her, narrowing his eyes. “I was going to help you out.”

“I’m a strong woman, I can get out by myself.”

“Right, no chivalry for you then, my dear.” He said and walked inside the club. Chaerin shook her head as she chuckle, following him inside.

The place was booming, even if it was still too early for people to be crowding the place. She wasn’t even sure what day it was, or what hour for that matter, but the place was slowly crowding. The DJ was making an extraordinary job, the music was always constant, making the people dance freely. She smiled as she walked in, bartenders and bouncers smiling at her as she walked in. She noticed the DJ was Lee Jinki, Jonghyun’s friend. He looked up, and for a moment, she saw a flash of green on his eyes. She shook her head and looked again, only to see them brown again. Taking a deep breath, Chaerin walked towards the bar.

“Lee Chaerin, long time no see.” A man said. She looked up and smiled when she saw Kim Kibum serving her a cup.

“Key, nice to see you.” She said. Key smiled and nodded, handing her the freshly made cup of Vodka with orange Skittles.

“How are you mama? I haven’t seen you around. Did you quit?” He said. Chaerin shrugged and nodded.

“Sort of, everything’s so… complicated right now.” She said, sipping the drink. Key let out a sigh and nodded.

“So I’ve heard.” He said and grabbed another cup from the counter. She looked at him with a raised eyebrow, and her breath got caught on as she saw his eyes turning white, then red, and then back to brown. She gulped, and took another sip of her drink, leaving it on the bar with a bit of money and walking towards the dancing crowd.

It seemed that whenever she looked, everyone’s eyes changed color, whoever she looked, they seemed too different to her, so distant. Chaerin looked around, trying to find Jiyong through the place, but he was nowhere to be seen. Instead of him, she noticed one bouncer bowing at her, then gesturing her to go into the V.I.P section. She raised an eyebrow and walked towards him. She had to push her way towards it since people were dancing and grinding themselves around her. She shook her head as she finally reached the bouncer, his eyes were sparkling red, and she held in a scream as she felt the burning that his body emanated.

“You may go in.” He said as he extended his hands towards the little hallway at the back of the DJ booth. Chaerin hesitated, and looked to the side, where Jinki was popping his head up and down. He looked at her and smiled, his eyes emerald green. She tensed her muscles and smiled awkwardly back, entering the hallway. The music seemed distant as she walked into the hallway, where doors were arranged at the sides. She tried each of them, but they were all locked. Finally, Chaerin reached the last door, but before trying to see if it was unlocked, she heard murmurs inside. Her curiosity got the best of her, and she put her hear close to the door, eavesdropping.

“… So Jonghyun’s gone?” One man said. She narrowed her eyes as she put her hands on the door, listening more closely.

“Yes, it is one terrible lost, my dear friend.” Jiyong spoke.

“Indeed, he had lived for so long, reprimanding that feeling, I can see why it happened.” The man said.

“That is why I need you, Youngbae. You are the only one who can take up on his task.” Jiyong said. The man let out a sigh and Chaerin could hear a leather sofa rumbling.

“Alright, I will do it, where is she?” The man, Youngbae, said. Chaerin heard nothing after that, and her heart almost stopped as the doorknob turned around. She jumped back, and Jiyong opened the door, his face a mixture of amusement and confidence.

“Here she is.” Jiyong said with a smirk. Chaerin gulped and looked at the man sitting on a leathered sofa. He had small eyes, fair skin and broad shoulders, just like Jonghyun. Though he looked less handsome than Jonghyun, he was still pretty handsome himself. “Chaerin, let me introduce you the Jonghyun’s successor, Dong Youngbae.” Youngbae stood up and smiled at Chaerin, bowing slightly at her.

“It is a pleasure, Insegnante.” Youngbae said.

“Just call me Chaerin, please.” She said. Youngbae nodded and smiled. Chaerin looked at Jiyong with wide eyes. “Is he…?”

“A reincarnation like you? No, unfortunately, he’s also immortal. I am afraid all the leaders turned immortal after Alina’s spell, only you of all the leaders got the blessing of Death.” Jiyong said.

“What was your name?” Chaerin said, now looking at Youngbae.

“With all due respect, dear Insegnante, I prefer to leave that in the past. For now, I’m Dong Youngbae, also known as Taeyang.” He said. Chaerin nodded in understanding.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, it is quite alright now, I believe we have lived for so long only for this time to come. I believe this Evil has been arising since ancient times, we must stop it.” Youngbae said. Chaerin nodded as she looked at Jiyong, who was looking at Youngbae with admiring eyes.

“And how are we going to do that?” Chaerin said. “I mean, both Jiyong and me are pretty weak, I don’t know why.” Youngbae looked at her with narrow eyes, then he looked at Jiyong.

“You’re both weak?” He said. Jiyong cleared his throat and walked towards the mini bar in the room.

“Yes, Bae, we are.” He said. Chaerin was looking at him intently, watching him pour vodka on a cup and drinking it in one go. “I’m afraid we will be for quite a long time.”

“So you’re telling me you haven’t done anything at all?” Youngbae said. Chaerin widened her eyes at him. Jiyong snickered and shook his head.

“No, and I will not do it anymore. It is done, I can’t.”

“So you’re just giving up?” Youngbae said. Jiyong nodded.

“It’s up to you.” Jiyong said as he sat on a chair. Youngbae scoffed and looked at Jiyong.

“Where is Taemin?” Youngbae said.

“In the manor, of course. Well protected and taken care of.” Jiyong said. Youngbae scoffed and looked at Chaerin. She was terribly confused, but he was looking at her with amused eyes.

“Tell me, Lee Chaerin, do you love this man?”

“Youngbae, stop it.” Jiyong hissed. Youngbae acted like he didn’t talked and waited for Chaerin’s response.

“What?”

“Do you or do you not love Kwon Jiyong?”