Succumb To Evil

Reincarnation

Her eyes were as wide as a light bulb, her hand was tightly clutched to the thin fabric of her blouse, her cleavage showing as she panted slowly, trying to control her emotions. Jiyong noticed how her eyes twitched and opened and closed, her hair turned various colors, and he was certain her emotions were changing uncontrollably. He took a deep breath as he looked at her, examined her, and enjoyed the sight in front of him. She had been strange to his eyes, the way she talked, the way she moved, the way she even ate. She had been foreign to his eyes, and he knew he couldn’t force himself to like her in the least bit.

Chaerin was the type of girl you see walking by, and stare at her, only to hate her involuntarily. She had charisma, a self-esteem as high as a skyscraper. She had walked, swaying her hips, her loose hair covering half her back as her stilettos knocked the floor. Jiyong had been watching her, watching everything she did, from her jobs to her lifestyle. He had been dragged towards her, as he had with all the others, Catharina, Sophia, Pamela, Rosalinda, Miranda, Minhee, Keni, Jihye, and now, Chaerin. For many lives he had seen her, but Chaerin was the first one that had made him hate her to the point of liking her. She was strong, she had been stronger than the others, had had that charisma no other had, not since Jocelyn herself. It was always so different, but so alike.

He saw how her hair turned back to brown, and his heart skipped a bit. She is Jocelyn, it had been the first time Jocelyn had accepted to merge with her, it was the first time one was strong enough to bear Jocelyn’s powers completely, and they were growing, being there, so close to her, he could feel his power growing, he could see it. His hands had stopped shaking, his breathing was coming naturally and his heart was beating steadily. He looked at her, at her trembling hand over her chest, at the quivering of her lips, at the pulsating vein on her neck, she was perfect, the Gods had made her perfect, but she wasn’t his Jocelyn, she was something else, someone else.

“To kill me?” She echoed, almost out of breath, as she slowly looked at him. Jiyong smiled weakly and nodded. He was feeling re-energized just by being there, only the Gods knew how much more energy he could bear if she became his, if they became one, just like in the past.

“I can’t do it.” He said. Chaerin let out a soft chuckled, the kind of chuckle you give when you are too astonished to believe something. Jiyong took a deep breath and straightened himself. At his side, Taemin touched his shoulder, and he gave him a slight nod, he was alright.

“But, why kill me?” Chaerin said. Jiyong shrugged and crooked his head, the age he had felt from that night disappeared, and the feeling of youth came back to him.

“That’s how she wanted it…” He said. Chaerin narrowed her eyes.

She?” She said and Jiyong nodded.

“Alina, Bom, she was the one who set the curse.” He said. He noticed Chaerin nodding, and she stood up, walking towards the vanity. Jiyong looked at her with tender eyes, so many memories lost, so many curses, so many heartbreaks, and here he is, just looking at her as if she was the most beautiful thing the Gods have carved.

“That red-haired woman?” She said and Jiyong nodded.

“She’s a .” Taemin said. Chaerin shook her head and walked towards the door, touching the doorknob hesitantly, then looking back at Jiyong.

“Are you going to kill me now?” She said, her eyes full of confusion, of worry, of sadness and sorrow. Jiyong slowly shook his head, looking at her with the same tender eyes.

“I have lived four hundred and fifty years, I can live four hundred and fifty more.” He said. Chaerin nodded and opened the door. He saw her jumping slightly, a hand going to her face.

“Jonghyun.” She said out of breath. Jiyong narrowed his eyes and stood up, not needing the cane anymore. He straightened himself, looking at Jonghyun with quizzical eyes.

“Chaerin, I wanted to talk to you.” Jonghyun said and stepped inside. His eyes widened when he looked at Jiyong and Taemin, who was standing up. “Fancy meeting you here.” Jiyong nodded, a slight smirk on his face.

“We were filling her up with our story.” Jiyong said. Taemin was narrowing his eyes at Jonghyun.

Our story?”

“Well, my story, I found it more prudent to leave you up to yours.” Jiyong said. Jonghyun scoffed and nodded.

“Of course you would.” Jonghyun said while crossing his arms.

“What’s with the sudden hatred, brother?” Taemin said. Chaerin narrowed her eyes and crooked her head.

“Brother?” She said. Taemin nodded.

“I am Tristan Fortis, this is my eldest brother, Jacek Fortis.” Taemin said. Chaerin nodded and looked at Jonghyun.

“How come you’re immortal when you grew up with me?” She said looking at Jonghyun. He smiled and nodded. Jiyong felt guilt washing over him as he saw Jonghyun’s saddened eyes, a gush of betrayal and guilt running through them as the tides of an ocean.

“It was a spell, Chaerin.” Jonghyun said. Chaerin crooked her head.

“What?” She said, taking a step back. Jonghyun took a deep breath and tried to hold her hands, she hid them away. Jiyong looked down, biting his lower lip.

“I didn’t grow up with you.” He said. Chaerin let out another gasp.

“You didn’t?” She said. Jiyong looked up, and saw her terrified expression, mixed with agony and betrayal. He had never felt so lonely and so depressed in his whole life.

“No,” Jonghyun said, his eyes turning watery. “When we felt the awakening of your powers, we arrived, just a few months before you moved in with Dara.” He explained. Chaerin shook her head.

“But your grandmother, how I spent my days with you when my parent’s died?” Chaerin said. Jonghyun shook his head.

“Dara’s one of the greatest spell casters in the manor, she distorted your memories, so you’ll remember me growing up with you, when in fact, I just got here 5 years ago.” He said. Chaerin shook her head as she stepped back. “I am so sorry.” Chaerin looked at Jiyong, her eyes watery and big.

“I have been brainwashed?” She said out of breath. “So, you’re not my best friend?” She said, now looking back at Jonghyun. He lowered his face and shook his head no.

“Only 5 years ago,” He said. “We found you on a mental hospital. They said you were too depressed by the death of your parents, so you tried to commit suicide.” He walked closer to her. Chaerin gasped as tears streamed down her face. He held her hand, and she let him, looking down while she sobbed. “You cut your veins, they found you unconscious on your parent’s house. The loss of blood caused you to lose consciousness, and we took that opportunity to put new memories on your mind.”

“This is insane! Please tell me this is a lie!” She said, not looking at her hands. Jiyong took a deep breath, and when he did, he noticed he had been crying silently.

“I wish it was.” Jonghyun said, letting go of her hand. She shook her head and grabbed her hair, pulling it like an insane woman. Jiyong wanted to go there and hug her, but he knew she wouldn’t let him.

“Chaerin…” Jiyong muttered. She looked at him with wide, angered eyes. They turned red, blazing fire inside the irises.

“Don’t talk to me.” She hissed. Jiyong lifted his head and raised an eyebrow, suddenly turning all stern and serious, his firmness emanating from him.

“It’s not our fault, we rescued you. Would you rather had rot in that mental hospital?” He said. She narrowed her eyes at him.

“It would have been real, unlike this. All of this,” She said looking around, then her gaze landed on Taemin. “The hoax is this, this is the lie.” She said and walked towards the doorknob. Jonghyun held her arm, and it blazed in fire as she looked at it. Jonghyun flinched and let her go, and she stormed out of the room, leaving them three alone.

Jonghyun looked at Jiyong, hatred spilling out of him, his hands were shaking, the black shirt sticking to his skin as the burning from Chaerin’s touched heated him completely. “Why did you have to get honest with her?” He hissed. Jiyong shifted his stance and looked at him with blank eyes.

“Would you rather have her in a blank state for her whole life?” Jiyong said, his voice as blank as his eyes. Jonghyun took a deep breath, the muscles on his neck tensing. With a shaking, blazing hand, he threw his silver gold hair back.

“Is this your plan to take her?” Jonghyun said. Jiyong narrowed his eyes.

“Oh please Jacek,” He said, now looking at him with an expression of unbelief. “How could I do that? You well know I said this time would be different, and I am a man of my word.”

“A man of you word? Prove it.” Jonghyun said. Jiyong widened his eyes as a breath got caught on his throat.

“Are you doubting me, guardian?” He said, indignity clear on his voice.

“Without us guardians, you warlocks and witches would be doomed.” Jonghyun hissed. Jiyong smirked and nodded.

“True, you have saved us many times, but it is our vitality that keeps you living. It is our power that keeps you going.” Jiyong said. Jonghyun scoffed and looked at Jiyong, the hatred spilling out of his blazing eyes.

“We have power, we are Warlocks too.” Jonghyun said, shifting into a fighting stance. Jiyong narrowed his eyes, his eyes ready to attack.

“It is strength that gives you power, you are warriors.” Jiyong said. “Know your place, Guardian.” Jonghyun’s head flinched, his eyes turning dark as he stared at Jiyong. Jiyong was awfully calm, waiting for Jonghyun’s fists to land on his face, waiting for the attacks. Jonghyun straightened, softening his muscles.

“We are warriors, unlike you. Have you known how to fight? You can’t even protect the woman you love!” Jonghyun said. Jiyong felt angered by that, it was true, it was terribly true, he knew how to fight, he was a warrior himself, but his strength couldn’t be measured over a Guardian’s. His own strength were his powers, if Jiyong had to fight hand in hand, without any powers, he would fail miserably, even could get himself killed.

“That’s why you’re here, that’s why Guardians were made, to protect.” Jiyong said. Jonghyun lowered his face, his gaze deep on his.

“And protect shall we.” He said and ran towards Jiyong. He was too fast, after all, Guardian were blessed by the Gods, strength, speed, accuracy and agility were a few of their traits, accompanied by fearless and a bit of powers. Like Jonghyun, Jiyong thought, he can use fire on his will, Chaerin’s first element.

Jiyong moved his hand, wind surrounding Jonghyun until his back hit the wall. He grunted and fell on the floor, his eyes blazing with fire. Jiyong lifted a finger, warning him. “Don’t use your powers against your Magna Veneficus or your brethren, Jonghyun.” He said, but Jonghyun was deaf by anger. His hand started to blaze in fire, his eyes boring into Jiyong’s. He let out a sigh, and Jonghyun stood up, smirking at Jiyong.

“Afraid of me? I’m just a Guardian.” Jonghyun hissed. Jiyong shook his head, his eyes wide. Jonghyun smirked wider, his hand flicking fast as the fire danced between his fingers. Taemin rushed towards him, his hands on his shoulders.

“Brother that is enough.” Taemin said, pushing him away.

“No, Tristan, let him, let him spill his anger.” Jiyong said. Taemin looked at him with wide eyes.

“Don’t let him.” Taemin said while shaking his head no. “Please Traven, don’t let him.”

“Don’t let me what? Don’t be such a stray dog after food, Tristan. Honor yourself, you have more power than that.” Jonghyun said and shoved him away, extending his hand, throwing the ball of fire towards Jiyong.  Jiyong felt a pang of pain inside of him, the same familiar pain it gave him whenever one of his brethren slowly died on the inside. He lifted his hand, catching the ball of fire and vanishing it, though his eyes were wide with fear.

“Tristan, I think it’s too late.” Jiyong said. Taemin shook his head violently and shook Jonghyun by his shoulders.

“Brother, please listen to me, don’t listen to them. Don’t let them get the best of you.” Taemin begged. Jonghyun’s eyes turned black, as dark as a sky at night. He was struggling with Taemin’s grip, his hands balling into fists as his muscles tensed. Jiyong felt the pain growing stronger, like his skin was peeling of him. “Jacek!” It all happened in the blink of an eye. Jiyong stared as Jonghyun moved his hand, a flick of his wrist and Taemin flew away, hitting the wall, knocking the air out of his lungs. Jonghyun’s hair turned dark, almost black as his eyes looked like dark tunnels, no life visible in them. Jiyong trembled as the pain subsided, and he felt emptiness within him. Jonghyun looked at him and smirked.

“The powers…” Jonghyun said, looking at his hands. “Incredible.” He said, his voice dark and menacing. Taemin panted as he slowly stood up, looking at his brother with tears on his eyes.

“Jacek…” Taemin murmured. Jonghyun looked at him, his dark eyes boring into him. Taemin trembled, and when Jonghyun took a few steps forward, the door banged open, and Dara stormed in.

“Jiyong, the flowers have withered, there’s–”

“Evil nearby, we know.” Jiyong said. Dara stopped abruptly as she saw Jonghyun. Her eyes widened and opened, her hand on her chest.

“By the Gods, Jonghyun…” She said. Jonghyun smirked, and slowly, the door got crowded with curious eyes. Jiyong shook his head as he looked down, then back at Jonghyun.

“You are not welcome here,” He said, his eyes turning watery. “Entity of Evil.” He finished and lifted his hand. Jonghyun smirked at him. Jiyong started to murmur words, a chanting.

“Take me out.” Jonghyun hissed. Jiyong closed his eyes, his hand firm in front of him.

Vade, Maligno. Et vade ex hoc Sancta Terra! ” He said. Jonghyun laughed, and a blaze of fire surrounded him. He extended his arms, laughing, extending his neck until his head was thrown back. His laughter grew louder, until it vanished, Jonghyun with it. Jiyong shook his head as tears streamed down his face. At his side, Taemin’s sobs were growing loud, and he collapse to the ground, his hands clutching on the rugs, his face low as he sobbed. Jiyong looked at Dara, and she nodded, going towards Taemin and hugging him tight.

Jiyong looked to the side, his own heart feeling heavy by their loss. He shook his head, his hands trembling as he walked towards the window. It was still sunny outside, but his heart felt cloudy, he had lost, a battle he miserably lost, one battle that, in the end, it was meant to never be. “Oh Gods, why have you allowed this to happen?” He said as he collapse on the floor, crying his heart out as his hands supported him on the frame of the window. He cried, mourned the death of Jacek Fortis, mourned the birth of Evil on his skin, on his flesh, mourned because everything was his own fault, and he had no other choice but to see them all perish. This had no end.