Bluffed the System

Reincarnation

His hands were clasped together as he looked at her, pacing around his room, not muttering a word. He had stayed in the same position for a while now, just looking at her as she walked, stopped to stare or simply hold her hair in frustration. Jiyong snickered as he walked towards his bathroom, and she stopped to look at him.

“Where are you going?” She said. Jiyong chuckled and looked at her as he grabbed a pair of jeans from his closet.

“I’m taking a shower, mind you.” He said and grabbed a black shirt. “I reek of poisonous odors, blood and decay, I need a shower, urgently.”

“A shower? We were going to talk.” She said and Jiyong chuckled.

“All I have done since we got here is look at you going around my room, you’ve probably done a hole on my floor by now.”

“Right, I’m sorry…” She said and took a deep breath. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” Jiyong smiled and nodded.

“I told you to not be scared, I’m alright.”

“You lied to me, you said you were just catching up, and then you come back the next day with blood all over you. Am I supposed to be fine by that? You’re not working honestly in your trust, mister.” She reprimanded. Jiyong felt guilty all of a sudden, and lowered his face, looking at his bruised feet. The boots had long gone, and probably were making their way to the trash can.

“I’m sorry.” He said. Chaerin scoffed and sat on his bed, her arms crossed.

“I’m the one who’s sorry. I’m so sorry for worrying for you, you don’t care at all.” She said. Jiyong lifted his face, his brows furrowed.

“I care, what makes you say that?”

“I’m here worrying and you think that asking Taemin for my safety is enough? Prick.” She said. Jiyong felt anger all of a sudden, how could she actually say that? After all he had done just for her.

“Listen here, Taemin’s my second in command, obviously he’s going to take charge while I’m gone. And besides, I don’t see why you are so upset about, weren’t you the one saying I was a freak?”

“I said freak show, and I’m upset because… Just because!” She said. Jiyong shook his head and lifted his jeans, showing them to her.

“I’m taking a shower.” He muttered as he walked into his bathroom. He was so pissed he forgot to close the door. He opened the faucet and started to undress, when a gasp caught him by surprise. He looked to the side and saw Chaerin looking at him with wide eyes.

“You can’t just… ignore me.” She stuttered. Jiyong quickly put back his shirt and glared at her.

“A little privacy please? I’m shy.” He said. Chaerin blinked and looked at his face. She had been staring at his body, he knew.

“You’re shy?” She echoed. Jiyong nodded, still glaring at her. She laughed softly, and he felt his guard falling all around him, like a shield being broken out of his body.

“Please leave, I’m uncomfortable.” He said and she nodded, grabbing the doorknob.

“Alright, I’ll leave you, but we still have to talk.” She said and closed the door. Jiyong let out a breath and looked at the shower. He went over the door and locked it, then took out his clothes and went into the shower.

The water cleaning his body felt magnificent, as if he was free again. He smiled as he washed his hair, his face and the rest of his body, feeling refresh and complete. After he finished, he let the water fall on his body for a while more, then got out, taking a towel and drying himself.

He opened the door slowly, peeking inside his room first. He saw Chaerin sitting on a chair reading a book. He puffed his cheeks and walked out of the bathroom, still drying his hair. Chaerin looked to the side and smiled as she set the book aside.

“What are you reading?” He asked. She shrugged and looked at the book.

“Dante’s Divine Comedy. It’s good, can I borrow it?” She asked and Jiyong shrugged.

“Sure.” He said and sat on the chair next to her. “I love that book.”

“Did you…” Chaerin said and looked at the book. “Did you met Dante?” She said in a whisper, as if to be afraid of asking. Jiyong burst out laughing and put the towel on his lap, shaking his head no.

“He’s from the 14th century, I’m from the 16th century.” He said. Chaerin nodded and looked at the book again.

“He’s excellent,” She muttered. Jiyong smiled and nodded, looking at the book also. He took deep breaths as he felt his hands burning. He looked at his hands and smiled as he noticed his nails turning red.

“Chaerin, what you wanted to talk about?” He asked. Chaerin lifted her head and frowned at him.

“Are you mad?” She asked. Jiyong widened his eyes at her.

“I beg your pardon?”

“How can you not let me heal you?” She said. Jiyong nodded and crossed his legs.

“I cannot let you drain yourself, it’ll drain me too.”

“But that’s stupid, shouldn’t I be able to help you? If I’m to run this… this task with you, the least I can do is help you.” She said.

“So you can risk your life and kill yourself just to save me?” He hissed. He didn’t know why he felt angered by that, but he did.

“I did it to save you! I was the one who put you in danger, I was the one who should’ve taken you out of it!” She protested.

“Still,” He said. “It’s not reason enough!”

“Jiyong, why are you being so hard headed? Couldn’t you just say thank you and let it go?”

“Can’t you see you’re too precious to be dead?! I will not tolerate losing you again, and not if that’s my fault!” He said out of rage. He saw her face turning white, her eyes wide and slightly open. He stopped and took a deep breath, realizing what he had just said.

“W-Wha–”

“Don’t say anything.” He growled. Chaerin nodded, her cheeks turning red. He stood up and walked towards his vanity, his whole body shaking. He looked at himself in the mirror, his eyes looked dark red mixed with brown. He shook his head and looked at Chaerin, she was standing up looking at him.

“Jiyong, I can take care of myself, I have always done so.”

“You always had Jonghyun to take care of you.” He said.

“And now I have Top to do the task,” She said. Jiyong stopped abruptly and looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“Who?” He said. Chaerin nodded and smiled.

“Taemin said you sent him, Choi Seunghyun.” She said. Jiyong frowned.

“I didn’t. I didn’t sent any Guardian to you yet.” He said. Chaerin frowned.

“Taemin said tonight was the ceremony, and that you would do it.” She said. Jiyong grimaced at her and scoffed.

“What ceremony? Is he mad or something?” He said, then looked at the door, it was closed, but there were shadows moving underneath. He furrowed his eyebrows and walked towards it, opening it hastily. There was no one there, neither at the hallway. He frowned again and closed it, this time, locking it.

“Is something wrong?” She said and Jiyong lifted his hand, gesturing her to keep quite. He took a few steps back, holding her hand when he got close to her.

“Can you see anything?” He muttered. Chaerin shrugged, then closed her eyes. Jiyong tried to see, but his power wasn't developing as it should.

“I see a black light.” She said and opened her eyes. Jiyong looked at her with wide eyes and ran towards the balcony, slapping the doors open.

“.” He said, the flowers were blooming brightly and healthy, no sign of threat.

“What’s going on?” She said. Jiyong walked back towards the vanity and grabbed a pair of daggers. He gave one to Chaerin and held onto the other.

“Black Lights are Evil’s aura, but the flowers didn’t withered, something’s not right.” He muttered as he pushed her away from the door and into his bathroom. Chaerin gasped as he pushed her in and closed the door.

“Jiyong, what–”

“Listen, there’s a little door right beside the shower that leads towards a hidden passageway, it takes you towards the Guardian’s Wards, go, find Youngbae and tell him what’s happening.”

“I’m not leaving you.” She said while holding onto his arm. He smiled and nodded.

“You must, I need backup. Whatever got in must be powerful enough to bluff the security. Go.” He said. Chaerin shook her head again.

“No Jiyong, I will not.” She said. Jiyong put his hands on both her face and made her look into his eyes.

“I will be fine, but I really need you to go.” He said. She bit her lower lip as she looked at him with fear on her eyes. He looked at her lips, and the urges increased within him. Without thinking it twice, he bent to kiss her.

She gasped a bit as his lips touched her. He continued to hold her face tenderly with his hands, deepening the kiss. She slowly moved her hands towards his neck, pulling him closer as she embraced him. He closed his eyes as he felt his whole body trembling from the shock he felt. His hands moved to her waist and hugged her tight, lifting her up from the floor. She smiled and pulled away, and he put her back on the floor, his forehead touching hers.

“I’ll be alright, please go.” He said. Chaerin nodded and pecked his lips one more time before going towards the shower. He smiled and watched her leave. As she disappeared from his sight, he let out a sigh and walked towards the hallway, searching for whoever had gone into the manor.

Chaerin ran through the old passageway. The walls were made of brick and wood, the stench of old and dust hurting her nose as she ran through the windowless passageway. She ran until she saw an old, small door at the end of the hallway that had a faint glow of light from behind. She panted as she halted to a stop, turning the doorknob. It was stuck. Chaerin started to punch the door, calling for help.

“Somebody, hello!” She screamed. From the other side she heard voices, murmurs as she continued hitting the small door. She heard chains unlocking, and finally, someone opened it. She fell inside the room, panting and sweating.

“Insegnante.” A man murmured. Chaerin lifted herself up, dusting her jeans as she looked around. The place looked like a big cinema, recliner chairs in front of a huge LED T.V, a dining table, a pool table all around the rood. She took a deep breath as she saw the man who opened it.

“Guardian.” She muttered. The man nodded as he extended his arms towards her, trying to help her. “Your name, Guardian.” She said.

“Lee Kikwang, is something the matter?” He said and Chaerin nodded.

“There’s someone within the manor, an Evil presence, but the flowers didn’t showed it, the Magna Veneficus requires your help, he’s at his room.” She said. The man widened his eyes and ran towards a table at the back of the room. She noticed it had a few monitors on it. Chaerin walked towards him and saw him touching a piece of paper on top of the desk and murmured some words. Chaerin saw how the paper glowed, and he smiled and looked at her, dusting his hands.

“We will be there soon, thank you for letting me know.” He said as he bowed. Chaerin gestured him to straighten up, and he did so.

“Kikwang, where is Youngbae?” She said.

“He’s supposed to be at the Gardens, but he will come here soon, I’ve summoned them all.” He said. Chaerin nodded and looked at the monitors again. She saw men running around, until the door finally opened, and Top stormed in.

“What’s wrong?” He said. Chaerin smiled and bowed her head. He did the same. After him, Youngbae ran in, panting. His eyes widened as he saw Chaerin covered in dust.

“Where’s Jiyong?” He asked. Chaerin bit her lip and looked at the small door.

“He’s at his room, there was the presence of an Evildoer within our walls.”

“But the flowers,” One guardian said. “They didn’t wither.”

“Jiyong said they could have bluffed the system, he requires your help right now.” Chaerin said and Youngbae nodded, grabbing Seunghyun by his arm and pulling him towards the little door that Chaerin came from. She hesitated for a bit, and ran towards the door.

“Insegnante!” She heard people calling her, but she ignored them. She knew she had to go, she couldn’t just stay there while Jiyong was out there, risking his own life. If he could do it, so could she.