Awakened

Reincarnation

Chaerin was looking sternly at Jonghyun. It was the very first time she had ever had the need to dig the truth out of him, and it scared her. She tried to control her impulses, the fear creeping through her like tides, like furious tides. With a sigh, she narrowed her eyes. “Well, why don’t you start?” She told him. He scratched the back of his head, then stirred and smiled.

“It’s quite the long story.” He said. She got comfortable in her bed as she looked at him.

“I do need to relax, I have time.” She said, her eyes narrowed. Jonghyun chuckled again and nodded, getting comfortable on his chair. She noticed she was in his house’s spare room, and she was glad she was there instead of some hospital. Though the burning had not lessen, she could finally breathe properly.

“Well, how do we begin?” He said.

“Who was that woman at the park?” She asked. Jonghyun’s expression got somber, serious.

“She’s a witch.” Jonghyun simply said. Chaerin scoffed as she crossed her arms.

“I do hope you mean that as an insult, witches don’t exist.” She said. Jonghyun shook his head no as he looked at her.

“You’d be surprise how wrong you are right now.” Jonghyun said. She crooked her head, her eyes cautious as she studied him. There was something different in him, the way he looked at her, the way he moved his hands, the way his hair was arranged and the clothes on him. She noticed the clothes, black leathered pants with a black shirt, a silver necklace she had never seen, a charm that had a set of three stars fixed together with a vine on it. She crooked her head at him.

“I’m wrong?” She said. Jonghyun nodded and grabbed her hand, she thought of pulling away, but to her surprise she didn’t, and the little Jiyong’s voice on her mind didn’t said anything at all.

“Witches exist Chaerin, they were almost exterminated in the 17th century, in the Witch Trials, but some survived.” He said. She narrowed her eyes at him.

“That’s a nice bed time story.” She said. “What about the Guardians, that Alina said something about my guardians.”

“I’m your guardian. I have always been, I will always be.” He said. She gulped as she looked at him.

“My guardian? But why?” She said. Jonghyun took a deep breath and smiled at her.

“I hate it when this happens.” He murmured. “Chaerin, you’re a witch.”

“Have you gone mad?”

“No, I’m not mad, neither are you.” He said. She put her hands together as she digested what he had said. She felt the burning again, concentrated in her hands. She turned them around and noticed her nails turning red. “Your powers are awakening. The first element that found you was fire.” He murmured.

“This is insane.” She said as she looked at her red nails.

“Witches can manipulate elements, some may learn one, others maybe two. It’s pretty weird to find one that can master three elements. We consider the ones that can master all four the Insegnante, or most commonly called a–”

“A teacher, I know Italian.” Chaerin said. Jonghyun nodded. “But I don’t get it, why would I need a guardian?”

“You used to be an Insegnante Chaerin. You can master all four elements, they live in you.” He said. Chaerin widened her eyes at him.

“Stop messing with me!” She said, throwing him a pillow. “You’re just teasing me, you’re making fun of my condition!”

“No! You have no condition! Those dreams, those visions are memories, it’s what happened to you!” Jonghyun said. “It’s always like that, when the visions start to come, the power is calling you. It had happened before!”

“Happened before?! What the hell do you mean by that?!” She said, hyperventilating. She remembered Jiyong’s voice, speaking to her at the park.

‘Déjà vus are just memories of something we’ve lived. We feel the strange feeling of it when we live it again, remembering that something happened, yet we have no idea of what, but our brain remembers it.

 Yes, our brain is something spectacular, I might add. It can hold so many memories. We can even feel events from our past lives, isn’t it impressive?’

“I mean you have lived many different lives Chaerin, not only this one.” He said. She shook her head as she gripped the sheets.

“And what about Jiyong?” She said. He narrowed his eyes, and she could see a sudden shield all around his irises. It was the first time she had seen that, his eyes suddenly turning, a spark in them, as if he had changed their color, though they remained the same.

“What about him?” He said, his voice composed.

“Don’t play with me. My visions are just memories, he’s in most of them.” Chaerin said. Jonghyun smiled crookedly as he stood up.

“You better sleep, you’ve been too tired lately. You need your strength.” He said as he walked towards the door.

“Jonghyun, don’t you dare leave me like this, I need answers.”

“And you will have them, I swear, just not now.” He said and left. Chaerin opened to yell at him, but closed it again. It was of no use, she knew. Something had changed in him, though he seemed to be the same man that once slept by her side, that once helped her get up in her darkest times. She threw the sheets aside and stood up, walking towards the door. She put her hands on the doorknob and hesitated, her nails still red.

Chaerin let out a sigh and opened the door hastily, walking towards the living room. “I’ve seen him Jonghyun, he was there, at the park. I saw him, where is he now.” Chaerin said as soon as she entered the living room. Jonghyun was sitting on his sofa, his face rested on his hands, his legs crossed. In front of him was a man, his hair blonde, like Jonghyun’s, though more golden. She stopped as she saw the back of the man, her air got caught on .

“It is true, I was there.” Jiyong said as he turned to her. She put a hand on her chest as she took one step back.

“What are you?” She said. Jiyong smirked as he stood up.

“What are you Chaerin?” He said as he intertwined his hands. Chaerin looked at Jonghyun, he was still sitting crossed-legged, not minding Jiyong very much.

“Jonghyun.” She said. He looked up, his expression grim. He shook his head as he stood up, putting a hand on Jiyong.

“Not now.” He murmured. Chaerin stayed still as Jiyong looked at Jonghyun, and by the way they exchanged a look, she knew they were old friends.

“She can’t even properly say what she is.” Jiyong said. He looked at Chaerin with a frown. “Say it, say what you are.”

“It’s too much already.” Jonghyun fought. Jiyong looked sternly at Chaerin, ignoring Jonghyun’s pleas.

“Say it.” Jiyong insisted. She shook her head as she tried to run towards the kitchen. She remembered a door being there, and she hoped she could reach it, but as she approached the archway to the kitchen, Jiyong stopped her, suddenly appearing in front of her. Chaerin shrieked as she fell back, tears rolling down as her fear worsened.

“What are you?!” Chaerin screamed. Jiyong slowly crouched in front of her, a worried expression covered his whole face.

“Don’t fear me.” He murmured.

“How can you expect her not to fear you, you weren’t precisely charming.” Jonghyun scoffed.

“I cannot harm you, not with your Guardian here.” Jiyong said as he extended a hand towards her. Chaerin shook her head as she crawled towards Jonghyun. She noticed Jiyong’s sorrowful expression as he slowly stood up. She reached Jonghyun’s leg and hugged him.

“Don’t let him get near me.” She murmured. Jonghyun kneeled and held her by her arms, pulling her up.

“Chaerin, this is not the woman you are! Be strong, how have you became so weak?” Jonghyun said. She bit her lips as tears fell nonstop from her eyes.

“Please, don’t let him get near me.” She sobbed. Jonghyun nodded and caressed her head as he hugged her.

“Jiyong, you’ve scared her enough.” Jonghyun said. She saw Jiyong putting his hands on his pockets as he rested his back on the wall.

“Good, then she’ll know what we’re truly facing.” He said. “I’m not the worst enemy you can encounter.”

“I guess you are.” Jonghyun said. Jiyong glared at him.

“Chaerin, look at me.” Jiyong said as he approached her. She buried her face deeper on Jonghyun’s chest, holding him tighter. Jonghyun flinched a bit as the fire on her hands burned his back.

“Chaerin,” Jonghyun whispered on her ear. “You’re burning me.” She let go, looking at her hands.

“I-I’m sorry.” She said. Her nails were scarlet red and her hands felt like burning. Jiyong stood in front of her with a smirk on his face.

“Try it, point at something and imagine that fire in your hands spilling out.” Jiyong said. Jonghyun scoffed.

“This is my house, of course she won’t burn it out.”

“She needs to practice.” Jiyong said. Chaerin shook her head as she looked at her hands. She tried to imagine fire protruding out of them, and when nothing came, she glared at Jiyong.

“You are just plain crazy.” She said. Jiyong smirked wider. She felt the burning lessening, and she looked down, only to see a spark of fire on her palm. She shrieked as she looked at it, forcefully shaking her hand to make it go away.

“Woah, wait, don’t!” Jonghyun said but it was too late, the spark had fallen from her hand and landed on the couch, igniting it completely.

“Isn’t that splendid?” Jiyong said with laughter. Jonghyun quickly grabbed a pillow and started hitting the sofa. Chaerin put a hand on as she saw the fire consuming the sofa.

“A little help here, water boy.” Jonghyun said. Jiyong smirked and lifted his hand. Chaerin noticed a steam leaving his palm, and then, water consumed the fire that was burning the sofa, leaving it black and charred.

“You’re a witch too?!” Chaerin said with a gasp.

“A Warlock, sorcerer, not a witch.” Jiyong said. She raised an eyebrow as she saw the sofa emitting black smoke.

“Warlock?” She said, her voice strained. Jiyong nodded as he stood next to her. Instinctively, she took a step back.

“The male of Witch is Warlock. Just don’t call me a witch, makes me feel… weird.” Jiyong said.

“And what about Jonghyun, is he a warlock too?” Chaerin said. Jiyong nodded slowly.

“He’s a Guardian. A low class Warlock, he can only make magic when you have regained your powers. He’s bound to you.” Jiyong said. Chaerin raised an eyebrow, then Jonghyun straightened, fuming.

“Now, I have my sofa made a mess. Thank you very much, High Class Warlock.” Jonghyun said with disdain. Jiyong chuckled, and with another flick of his wrist, the sofa was as good as new. Chaerin jumped as she put a hand on .

“It is not that hard, honestly. You just have to admit this.” Jiyong said. Chaerin looked at him, at the hand he was extending. She noticed the little mark on his annular finger and frowned.

“We’re we, related?” She said. Jiyong looked at her and smiled.

“Yes, we’re siblings.” Jiyong said. Chaerin noticed Jonghyun frowning at him.

“Siblings?” Jonghyun retorted.

“In the past, at least. When you were… Reincarnated, obviously it changed.” Jiyong said. Chaerin nodded, her mind drifting back towards one of her visions, of them kissing.

“Did you, reincarnated, too?” Chaerin said, not asking one specific.

“Of course.” Jiyong said. Jonghyun scoffed and started dusting the sofa. “We all do, we’re not immortal.”

“But how come I’m the only one who doesn’t remembers anything?” Chaerin said, now feeling a bit calmer.

“You’re just waking up, it happens differently for all of us.” Jiyong said. Chaerin nodded as she turned and looked at her reflection on a mirror Jonghyun had on his living room. She could see a spark of fire on her eye, a bit of red on her hair, though the burning had lessened greatly since the last spark she let go.

“Why does it burns?” She said with a sigh.

“Because it’s consuming you. You have to learn to let it out before it burns you.” Jiyong said with a soft voice.

“And what about that nurse, did I… Did I killed her?”

“What nurse?” Jiyong said, but Chaerin looked at him through the reflection of the mirror. She saw hesitation.

“The nurse at the hospital, I burned her, didn’t I?” Chaerin said. Jonghyun took a deep breath and touched her shoulder.

“Yes, it was you.” He said. Chaerin nodded as she slowly turned around. She narrowed her eyes at Jiyong.

“You were there.” She said. Jiyong crooked his head as he raised an eyebrow, but in his eyes, she saw more hesitation.

“Were where?” He said. She looked at Jonghyun, then at Jiyong.

“You have been talking to me, I’ve heard you.” She said pointing a finger at him. He narrowed his eyes as she shrugged, walking towards the front door.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He said as he opened the door. “I have to go. But you have to learn to control your powers, more are coming, and if you can’t manage Fire, there’s no way you’ll control Water.” He said and left with a slam of the door. Chaerin jumped as she looked at the door closing.

“He was there.” She whispered. Jonghyun put a hand on her shoulder as he smiled at her.

“Don’t push it, it is of no use.” He said as he handed her a jacket. “Come, we have to find Dara.”

“What happened to her?” Chaerin said as she put on her jacket.

“You’ll see.” 

 


Gily's Notes: Where you expecting that?! Hahaha! 

Yeah! 

Happy Reading ~

Gily ♥