The Birthday

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“I am going to the office today and will be at the studio later today…” He looked back at Jihyo putting her shoes on by the door. “If you finish early, come by the studio if you want to… I’ll be home late.” She nodded. A piece of the cut apple in while she tied up her shoe laces.

“Let me help you...” Gary bended down in front of her. She looked up to let him do her shoe laces. He smiled and went for the apple in . He bit onto it and pulled it out into his mouth. “Ya! That’s my apple!” He was laughing while chewing on it. “Unbelievable!” she was still staring at him with her widened eyes.

Still chewing on the apple, he bend down to tie her shoelaces. She smiled looking at him doing it for her. “I can never be mad at you for long…” She smiled down at him looking up at her. “I know” he winked at her.

He stood up taking her up with him by her hands. She locked her fingers between his. “I’ll finish in the evening. I’ll bring dinner to the studio. Let me know what you want for dinner later ok?” Instead of answering, he bend down to kiss her. She unlocked her fingers from his to circle her arms around his waist. His hands on her pretty face. “Thank you, darling” he ended the kiss.

“Can you please come with me before you go to the office?” She wanted to spend time with him today. They had filming yesterday and she would be going to Shanghai in 3 days. Only 2 days to spare before her trip.

“I have to sign some documents and arrange things for the Singapore trip. I’ll finish everything today and make time tomorrow ok?” She nodded and hugged him. “I wish I could go with you... This is the first time I am celebrating without you…” He pulled her into a tight hug. “I want you to come. But I will be busy and would not have time for you… not worth all the trouble you have to go through”

The past 4 years, he was always around for her birthday. Her second birthday with him although awkward during their breakup, he was there and she was happy to have him there among the other members.

“Let’s change today’s plan a little…” He wanted her to be happy. “I’ll send you over to your sister’s and I’ll hangout for a while… I’ll let you have me until 10. Ok with that?” Smile is already spreading across her face. “I’ll try to finish up fast at the office and pick you up around 4 o’clock…” she was already spreading little kisses along his jawline. “Then we’ll go to my studio and you can watch me and Jung-In practise” At the end of his sentence he spread her arms into the air “You’re the best!”.  He almost lost his balance holding on to her, he pulled her to him in a hug. “Anything for your smile” He kissed her forehead. “Let’s go”.

He is normally strict with his timing when it comes to work.  Now that she is around, his priorities had shifted. He tried to balance both his personal life and work life. She would understand if he has to go out with friends to parties and spend long nights at the studio making music. She rarely asks for his time.  This is one of those rare occasions.

She had been very supportive of his work although he had been less supportive when it comes to her work. She understands that too. She knows he is a jealous boyfriend. She is happy to accommodate his jealousy in planning her work.  He appreciates that of her. She had been accommodating him since the beginning. He was the one whom asked too much of her and left her when she could not keep up with him. He had learned the hard way.

……….

“Oppa, are you done already?” It was only 3pm. “I am packing up right now. Just checking if you’re ready.”

“Yes! I have been waiting for you to call” she said excitedly. “I’ll be there in half an hour. You can bring your sister along to keep you company. I’ll be busy at the studio.” He was heading out to his car. Still keeping her on the line, loving her voice on his ears. “It’s OK… I love watching you work, I can watch you all day... I don’t need my sister to distract me” she said it so sweetly he was blushing getting into the car. “I am in the car… hanging up now… see you soon, darling”

In 30 minutes, Jihyo is already walking towards his car. The moment she closed her door, he was already leaning in to kiss her cheek before quickly driving off. “How was your day?” The usual question he will always ask. “Spent planning my work schedule. The two drama offers seem to be conflicting. I’ll have to reject one. The photo shoots and appearances are OK…” She continued telling him the details of her planned scheduled.  He was focusing and making notes in his mind.

“Did you include me in your schedule? Or do I have to make an appointment?” She sounded so busy he had to joke with the question. “Oh my god! I forgot to put Kang Gary in my schedule!” She feigned a shocked face. “What??” he looked her way for a brief moment, not believing she actually didn’t fit him into her schedule. “Seriously??” He sighed and drove on in silence.

She smiled looking at him. He would have overreacted in the past.  He is calmer now, accepting whatever she gives him. “So you’re not going to be mad about it?” she tested him.

“I guess you’re too busy… I’ll just have to fit my schedule to yours then”.

“But my drama shoots will mostly be in Jeju, I can only come back every few weeks. It’ll be months..”

He sighed again. He was thinking how he could fly to Jeju as often as possible without rousing suspicion. Jihyo looked at him and knew he was thinking of a solution to it. She waited for him to finish.

“I’ll ask Hyori to find me a house for long-term rental…” He finally spoke up.  She is interested to know what he had in mind. “I’ll go there for 2 or 3 days every week so you can come see me when you have time off your filming.”

She was already smiling at his effort to see her every week but decided to dig in further. “But oppa, filming schedule is unpredictable.. What if I don’t get to go to you? What if it ends really late?”

He sighed again. “Then, can I come watch you work?  I am sure I can steal a few minutes in between scenes. Would that be ok?” She was touched.  The old Gary she knew would have insisted she spend time with him no matter how late or tired she is. She didn’t mind it back then because he would make sure she gets her rest. He just wanted to be near her, he doesn’t mind if she sleeps the whole time. Now, he is asking if it is ok with her.

She reached out her right arm to his left side and laid her head on his shoulder. “You can come watch me work anytime you want…” She said softly. “I was kidding about Jeju… Shoots will mostly be around Seoul” She heard him let out a breath of relief. “Thank God!”

He parked his car in front of the studio. And turned to kiss her on top of her head. “Thank you for considering me”. She hugged him tighter. “Always” She promised.

….

Jung-In saw them walking hand in hand into the studio and greeted Jihyo happily. “Been a long time since I saw you! What made you come here tonight?” Gary left them to catch up while he set up his things in the studio. “I am going to Shanghai the day after tomorrow… Thought I’d spend time with him”

Jung-In saw the sad face on her and patted her back “Now, you got to get used to not having him around all the time. He is really busy these days. Since he takes me with him for shows.. I’ll make sure he behaves” She comforted her.

“We’ve gone past that stage… I trust he behaves himself these days.” She smiled to convince Jung-In she doesn’t have a problem trusting him. “It’s just so hard to not have him around as much…” she sighed. “Then you should have said yes when he asked to marry you! He has been talking about it to me often… “

Jihyo didn’t know Gary has been talking about it to anyone. She had asked Gary to give her time. She wasn’t ready. “He never brought it up after that time. I thought he is ok with it.”

“He is ok with it. He just said he wished you’re married so he can take you with us. He misses you a lot when we go for shows, I’d catch him watching the pics and videos you sent him and he would pretend to be doing something else” Jung-In laughed at the thought of the love-sick brother.

“What are you girls laughing about?” he appeared at the door. “Girl talk, you won’t understand” Jung-In dismissed his question. He reached out for Jihyo’s hand and pulled her to walk towards the pantry. “Let’s have dinner before we start.” His studio crews are already eating the noodles from the take-out boxes. She naturally opened Gary’s box to get his food ready to eat and passed the chopsticks to him to save him the hassle of preparing it himself.

“Wow… you really take care of him well.  No wonder he misses you a lot when you’re not around… he has to do everything himself!” Jung-In can’t resist teasing Gary. “She is the best” Gary said proudly, giving her a peck on the cheek adding the pink to her blushing cheeks.

….

She watched him practise with Jung-In for hours. They moved on from recording their vocals to the mirrors to get their movements right.  Gary is a perfectionist. Even without dance choreography, he would practise certain movements to get the crowd to response as he wanted them to. He wasn’t born with the stage persona. He worked hard to build it up.

His charisma was the thing that attracted her to him in the first place. She had been a fan of his music. She had fallen for his witty comebacks when she first saw him on a TV show. He was also one of the reasons she agreed to do Running Man. She is now thankful for the show. As she said it during the Monday Couple Fanmeet a few weeks back, she is grateful that she joined the show because that was how she met Gary. Fans may not catch what she really meant by that. Gary did. She meant to say joining RM was her best decision because she had met the man that makes her happy. Gary was actually smiling when she said that. It was very rare of her to speak so honestly without having to filter her words as she was used to.

When practise ended, she was clapping and cheering like a fangirl to show her support. He went to her for a hug “I am tired, I am recharging. Don’t move”. She had no intention to move. She hugged him tighter.

“I’ll get going now, my husband’s waiting outside” She reached for Jiyo’s hand to say goodbye and went off.

“How long are we going to stand like this?” She asked after 5 minutes. “Oh ok… I can recharge later too… let’s go home for now” He parted the hug and wrapped his arm around her to walk to the car.

….

“Oppa!!!!” She was so surprised to see the house decorated with her favourite flowers. Red colored cards were hanging from the ceiling. He walked inside holding her hand. He unhooked the cards along the way and passed them to her to read. There is a small cake on the dining table. A polaroid camera with boxes of film stacked next to the cake.

She had tears in her eyes. She didn’t expect an early birthday.  “Is this OK?” he took her in his arms and asked about the surprise. “It’s more than ok, love” She caressed his face, looking at him lovingly. “I am going to miss you but this will make it better” He leaned in to kiss her. Stopping between kisses to speak out what he wrote on those cards. “Lastly…“ He said kissing her before continuing. “Thank you for making me the happiest man” and she smiled kissing him in return for the sweet words.

He took the polaroid and took a picture of them. “I don’t want selcas. I want pictures where we can’t preview how we look… I want to see the pictures developing to see our faces in them… I bought 20 boxes of films. 200 pictures to remember this birthday of yours.”

“You want to finish all 200 tonight??” She would rather spend the hours doing something more intimate than taking pictures.

“We have all day tomorrow. Let’s use up the 200 before I send you to the airport.  Let’s do 20 tonight”

He walked up to the hall cabinet to retrieve a custom wooden box and handed it to her. “Here is what you have always wanted. I had Sheen made them for you.”

“Oh my… they’re beautiful!” She opened up to see rings and bracelets lined up in the box. She traced the golden skull ring with her finger. “This is soooo nice!” She tried it on together with the other rings.

A few months ago she had told him she wanted to have ring or bracelet as a symbol so he knows he is missed when he sees pictures of her wearing them when they are apart. “What kind of ring do you want, I’ll ask my friends if they can make one for you” She sketched a skull design. “You sure you want to wear skulls?”

“I’ve worn skull t-shirts before. What difference does it make? Besides, t-shirts are too obvious, I think rings or bracelets would be better”

She thought he had forgotten about it. But today she got a whole box filled with rings and bracelets that represent him. “Aren’t you getting too obvious with your obsession with me? People would definitely say I influenced you when they see these on you” he when she was looking at the details of the rings. “First of all, I am obsessed with you…” He laughed at her honesty. “Secondly, I don’t give a damn if people think it’s your influence on me”

“Hahaha! You are starting to sound like me!”

…….

“We still have a box of film to finish and we are already going to the airport. Can we stop somewhere so we can take pictures?”

“No! you’re going to be late. Just take in the car. I’ll pose for you” He started making cute faces for her while he drove. “But save 3 films to take at the airport.”

He parked his car just before the terminal. “Let’s take a picture” he took the polaroid and pointed towards both of them. He turned to kiss her cheek before pressing the shutter. “Now, I want a picture of you… I want that pretty smile” She posed as he wanted. She took the camera and pointed towards him “I want that handsome smile” he posed her favourite smile.

 

“This, I am going to keep for myself.” He showed the picture of her. “These two are for you to take with you.” He handed the couple photo and his last photo to her.

“But if you take one, I’ll not have my 200 photos…”

“I am taking this just so you know, your collection can never be complete without me”

“How do you come up with these cheesy stuffs?” He always surprise her with his cheesy ideas. “But I love what you do” She kissed him one last time. “Ok, I am ready. Make sure you drive off the moment I close the door ok. Just in case there are cameras around”

“Yes ma’am” he held her hand driving the short distance to the terminal.

….

He went to Singapore the same day. He was busy the moment he touched down. By the time he got back to the hotel it was near 11pm.  He didn’t accept the host offer to bring him to the clubs that night. He wanted to be in his room talking to his girlfriend to usher in her birthday. He told them he would make it tomorrow instead.

He dialled for her on FaceTime. The moment he saw her face on his screen he was smiling from ear to ear. “Hello, baby” She had tears in her eyes looking at him talking in his romantic voice. “Isn’t it great that you finally changed to iphone? We can see each other now.” He said cheerfully but her face wasn’t that cheerful.

“Are you alright??” he is worried. “Did they treat you badly?” Suddenly tears were rolling down her face. “What’s wrong??” Jihyo rarely cries.

“I am so tired today, I need you… Seeing you now is making it worse.” She wiped her tears. “Please don’t cry… you’re making me worried. Do you want to come here after your event tomorrow? I can arrange for it.” His face was so worried she had to laugh. “It’s ok oppa, I’ll see you Monday morning. It’s too complicated if I go there. I am just tired. I’ll be ok tomorrow” she smiled to convince him.

“How was your day?” His usual question that she loves. Other people would just ask to start a conversation but he would ask because he wanted to know. And she will always tell him every single detail and he would talk to her about it which tells her he is actually listening to every word she said.

“I am looking at photos of you from today…” he showed her what he was doing on his ipad. “You’re wearing so many rings! ALL of them!” She laughed “That’s how much I am thinking of you!”

“And you look beautiful as always… even in that hideous clothes! Hahaha!” He showed her the clothes she wore for the fansigning event. “Well, I had no idea I was going to wear the whole suit!” she laughed along with him. “I told them to get a few clothes for tomorrow so I can choose”

She walked up to the closet and showed him her clothes. Asking him to choose for her. He chose the oversized black tee similar to his Halyang tee and she chose a sheer blouse to wear on top of it. “Want me to put it on for you now?” she said coyly. “NOOO!!!!!” she laughed at his reflex. “Do NOT torture me anymore than I already am!”

“Hahaha! By the way, I’ll be leaving tomorrow evening but you’ll be busy so I guess we’ll just text and I’ll see you Monday morning ok”

“Yeah… I’ll be busy. I have to go to the clubs tomorrow night too. I promise I won’t get drunk or go near the girls” He was already promising although she never questioned him whenever he goes clubbing. “Oppa… I trust you. Just stay in one piece. I want you safely home. Be sure to enjoy yourself on stage on Saturday. I’ll watch your videos online.”

“Oppa, I am the airport now. Going home in bit.” She texted to update him. “Ok, baby... I left my t-shirt in the bedside drawer for you.” She will always ask for his unwashed t-shirt whenever he goes away for a few days. She wanted his scent near her when she sleeps. She forgot to ask for one to bring to Shanghai.

“I forgot to ask you this time. Thank you for remembering. 3 days til I see you… *sigh*”

“I miss you too..”

….

Gary arrived home just before 7am. Fortunately there is no filming for the day. He walked into the bedroom and saw Jihyo sleeping clutching his t-shirt. He changed into his sleeping shorts and got into bed next to her. He slowly release her grip on the t-shirt and saw dried up tears on her face.

He felt guilty. He agreed to the long weekend in Singapore when he found out Jihyo was not going to be around on her birthday a few months ago. It wasn’t her fault because the date was set much earlier by her management. But he was upset that she didn’t speak up and ask for a change of schedule since it’s her special day. So he took on the project since she is not going to be around. Then, another event came attached with the project he can’t refuse. He ended up committing himself for a long weekend away on her birthday.

He did apologize although she didn’t take it to heart. She understands how he does stuffs. She chose him to be in her life. She is ready to deal with his random emotional swings. She never brought it up against him. But seeing her on that bed, his heart was sinking.

He pulled her sleepy form to lie on his chest as she usually does. She hugged tight out of habit, in her sleep. He slept.

She woke up to a familiar feeling and she could smell a stronger scent compared to the t-shirt. She moved her hand and felt warm skin. Without looking, she knew it was him. She leaned up on her elbow to look down on him sleeping. She traced his lips and planted a kiss to welcome him back. He was kissing her back in his sleepiness.  When she ended the kiss, he was still sleeping peacefully.

She got up to get out of bed. Just as she was standing up by the bed, a hand reached out to pull her back on to the bed. On to him. “Where are you going?” He can barely open his eyes. “I wanted to make breakfast for you.”

He pulled her to lie beside him and turned to face her, opening his eyes. She was smiling at him. He instantly kissed her the moment he saw her smile.

She pushed him away after a long kiss “I need to breath!” she was actually gasping for air, he laughed. “Have you forgotten how to breathe after only a few days apart?”

“No… I forgot how to breathe because you are distracting my mind and it forgot.”

“Am I soooo handsome that I take your breath away?” he . She dismissed it with a laugh.

“I love it when you laugh…” he stared into her eyes intensely. “In fact, I love everything you do.” He was caressing her cheeks, his eyes still locking with hers. “The fortune teller must be right.. I am a Halyang.”

She waited for him to finish his sweet talk.

“He said even if I chose not to work for it, I will be blessed with the best things in life.”

“Even if I am annoying, ridiculous, selfish and emotional at times… it shows that I put less effort into this relationship at those times. Yet… I still get the best of it.” He briefly touched his lips to hers and continued.

“Ever since I met you that first day you came on set.. I have been lucky in life. Even my worst time with you has been a blessing. You are my lucky charm. I am never letting you go.”

“because I make you lucky?” she wanted more of his sweet words to answer her question.

“because you make me the luckiest man. I don’t care how long you take to agree to be my wife. As long as you know that I am ready to give you that whenever you want it. And I don’t care if I don’t have it, if you don’t want it.”

“Thank you…” She has not made up her mind about his proposal but she made up her mind about making him lucky. “Just so you know… The fortune teller is right. You’ll have this luck with you all your life.”