The Ring

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary


 “Honey… are you home right now?” She called him up in her rush to get to the airport.  
“Yes, why? Did you forget something” He was busy planning his schedule for the next few months.  He looked at his watch to see the time. “Your flight’s in a few hours.. anything you want me to send over?” He was worried she had left something important for the job in Hong Kong.
“Yeah…” she paused just to make him worry more. “I left my heart!” and she laughed. Her entourage laughed with her. They just can’t ignore the conversation happening in the car.
“Aissh…” he pretend to be upset when he was actually beaming with happiness for her cheesiness. 
“Oh my God!” he suddenly shouted to the phone.
“What??? What happened??” now it’s her turn to be worried. He was breathing hard as if in pain. She sat upright, “Oppa! What’s wrong??”
“You’re squeezing my heart so tight! Hahahaha!”
“Ya! You got me worried!” She was a little upset. She doesn’t like it when he does that.  She gets overly worried for him. 
“Sorry, honey… I can’t help it.” He softened his tone.  “But seriously… my heart feels that way right now. You’re going away for Valentine’s day… I’m going to be all lonely at home.” She melted immediately.
“You can go hangout with your friends…”
“And watch all the couples extra affectionate tomorrow? I’d rather stay in and be less miserable.” 
“I’ll be back tomorrow night. I’ll be late, so don’t wait for me. I’ll wake you up when I get home.”


She was busy the moment she reached Hong Kong. She was briefed of her work for the Valentine’s day event. She had to meet with her translator that night and it was late into the night when she finally got in bed and looked at her phone. No messages from Gary. It’s a good sign that he’s doing ok because otherwise he’d text and complain about how lonely it is. She thought he might be sleeping.
“I think you’re already asleep.. I am texting to update you that I had just done with work for the day. It’s past midnight, Happy Valentine’s Day, love.” She put her phone aside and slept. She was drained of her energy. 

She woke up late that morning… she saw notifications on her phone. Gary texted very early in the morning. 
“Good morning, sunshine! I know you’ll wake up late and you’ll be busy the whole day… Enjoy the day and come back to me.” She replied with a photo of her just woken up. Her natural morning face. 

With Gary, she can be as ugly and he would still not mind. She used to be conscious of her looks around him but she found that Gary likes her natural side better. She used to complain to him of his weird pose for photos. He said “I am not the best looking, why bother looking good when I can’t compete.. Better be different and I’ll get the focus” and she admired that of him. He makes the best out of anything.
“Aren’t I the privileged one to get these rare pictures of you? You’re beautiful.” He loves that he gets what nobody else gets. He loves that she can be comfortable being herself with him. 
He sent her the puppy face selfie of his. She loves any angle of him and it doesn’t matter if anybody else thinks him ugly. He makes her happy.

She got her job done. Of course, she had to talk of her love life. However, she had to be careful with the double loveline in her work, she has contracts to stick to. Now that her brother follows her almost anywhere, she is not worried about Gary being jealous when she’s overseas like he used to. Her brother is always by her side making sure she’s taken care of And also providing the assurance that Gary will get some peace of mind.

“Moonie… thank you for coming on my team…” she tells him that everytime. “My brother pays me to take care of you. I have to do my best to protect his woman” He is more proud of the fact that he is working for his future brother-in-law. “Hahaha! You sure love him a lot!”
“I do… in fact, if you ever decide to leave him, I may consider being his brother instead of yours” That got him a hit on his shoulder. “Ya! I’m going to tell mom that… see what she has to say to you.” She was threatening him but he could not be bothered. 
“Go on… tell mom… She’d probably say she’d become his mother too.” And Jihyo laughed at that. Her whole family is in love with the same man. “Fine! I won’t leave him just so I can have you as my family…”
“So you know who we want in the family… you can’t back out now.” He was threatening her back.
“As if I’d even consider backing out!” and she suddenly miss him.
She called him up to update him that she’s done. 
“I’ll be late, don’t stay up.. Get your sleep. PDs hinting we’re going to be travelling far tomorrow.” She spoke to him while getting ready to checkout of the room.  “Need to get a few things done when I’m back too. So just go to bed ok. I’ll wake you up when I get home”

He didn’t wait up for her. He was asleep on the daybed. A bouquet of lilies on the table. She picked up the card next to it and read.
“I know you don’t like flowers, but I want you to like it because I am giving it to you to say I love you.” 
He sure has a weird way but somehow sweet in telling her he loves her. And when she expects something extraordinary from him, he’d give her the simplest of things. Which amuses her more than upsets her.

As promised she woke him up. He didn’t wake up but pulled her to sleep next to him.
“Oppa, it’s not comfortable here… Let’s get into bed.” She pulled him to stand up and led him in his sleepiness into the room. She tucked him in before getting herself changed and joined him.
It felt good to be back. She cuddled up to him and joined him in slumber.

Gary woke up and let her sleep on. He couldn’t quite recall when she got back and how she got him on the bed. He went straight to the bathroom to wash up. When he was splashing and rubbing water into his face, he felt something. A hard object was rubbing against his skin. He had not been wearing rings lately. 
He was still not fully awake. He held up his hand and looked at the ring on his finger, trying to figure out how it got there. Suddenly he felt arms circling his waist from behind and looked into the mirror to see her chin on his shoulder, smiling at his reflection. He laughed at himself, knowing the answer to his question.

“Happy Valentine’s Day..” she gave him a peck on his wet cheek. “It’s passed .. It was yesterday…” he was purely making a statement. 
“But not in New York.. it’s still Valentine’s day there.. “ She watched him brush his teeth and joined him. She took a photo of the reflection of them brushing teeth and showed it to him. “This is how we spend Valentine’s Day”. 
They washed up and he applied shaving foam on his face. He handed the razor to her “your wifey duty…” she accepts readily with a smile. She actually enjoys shaving him because she gets to inspect his face up close and make sure he’s good. Making him stay still in place while she maneuvers the sharp razor around his face makes her feel loved and trusted. He trusts her not to cut his face.. 
“Do you trust me to do your nails?” He suddenly blurted out and she laughed at how random it was. Luckily she had done shaving and was wiping off the remaining foam off his face.
“Seriously… would you let me paint your nails?” She figured he was relating it to her shaving him. “I never thought of that… but knowing how meticulous you are… and how nice your nails are… I think I can trust you with mine.” He smiled happily. “You’re so happy because I’d let you do my nails?? Seriously?” Her small laugh didn’t offend him.. He was just happy to see her laugh in the morning.
“You’re shaving my face.. so I thought maybe some other time we can just paint your nails and bond that way. I want to do those things with you once in a while.” She was combing her hair and looking at him talk through the mirror. It was their random normal conversation.

The brief session was conducted by the head PD an hour before filming.
“Today we’re not having any guests because we’re supporting Jihyo’s project today…” she was surprised with that announcement. She looked at the PD waiting for him to continue. “I’ve had talks with Gary while you were away and as your agent, he had requested we do this… I’ve discussed with the rest too and they have agreed…” She looked around at the other members and they were smiling and nodding. 
“Gary’s concern as your agent… and boyfriend..” the PD winked at her and she blushed. “Fans were really upset and very vocal about your new show. And we too did receive lots of comments on Monday Couple. So Gary and I thought this over and decided we should focus on you being Monday Couple on a few episodes, and at the same time we’d all give some exposure to your show. We’ve had discussions while you were away… We all agreed to not have any scripts but the main objective of this episode would be to have Monday Couple moments to win back your fans.. You can be extra sweet Jihyo.. and Gary is going to support anything you do. The rest will play along. There will be twist during filming but we’ll just play along with whatever happens. Just be spontaneous but stick to our objective. You can all mention Bolin as much as you want.. just make sure it’s appropriate so it doesn’t look too obvious. Make it indirect and subtle. We’re going to remind our fans of the Monday Couple they love and to show them that Gary is OK with your new loveline that he can joke with it.” She was touched with their support. “You don’t really have to do this… it’s my individual job, it can be on its own.” She wouldn’t want them to go out of their way for her. But all of them started talking at once to convince her and she was amused and happy at how they’re so protective of her. “Thank you so much.”
PDs were happy to see how well bonded they all are. They’re truly best of friends after so many years together. Jihyo hugged everyone in appreciation after the briefing ended. She pulled Gary into her changing room to talk.

“Oppa… why did you have to pull them into this?” She was not upset but she didn’t think she deserves all that. He held her cheek. “I am your agent.. I have to make sure you receive the best. I was just discussing to with the PDs so we can feature me being OK with your loveline, so the fans won’t be so upset. But they wanted to make it this way. They thought most of it. Even I was touched a how supportive they are. You’re the baby here… they love you. They even talked to your producers to have it postponed while they give more exposure for it and gain more positive feedbacks. It should be your break into China but by the look of it, it’s not going well… “ he sighed “.. and I actually feel bad to put you through this. I had to do something. Let’s make the best out of this. We’re all doing this for you…” And she was in tears, moved by their thoughts and effort. He hugged her close.
“We don’t actually have anything scripted so you’re going to have to play along with whatever we do. And if we have moments together, make full use of me ok… I’ll be the cool supportive boyfriend.”

“You’re going to make me cry more… why are you my boyfriend??” She was really grateful for what she has now. 
“Because no one else will love you more…” he spoke so cockily that he can feel her shake in his arms trying to contain her laugh.

“Jongkook hyung has a fever so he told us to not ride with him…” Gary was informing her what Jongkook told him and wanted her to know that one of their friends is not feeling well. 
“Oh my… How come I didn’t notice that??” She was looking at Jongkook already in the other car. She felt guilty. SHehad always been the one taking care of all 6 men on the show.

“He’s getting better now… Kwangsoo’s taking care of him, so don’t worry.” She is relieved to know that Kwangsoo’s there. He is better than her when it comes to taking care of Jongkook. Guys with big muscles don’t like showing their weakness to the ladies. But she went to him the moment they reached the first destination just to be sure he is ok. 

“Don’t worry, I’m good.. Just enjoy the filming… This is your chance to show off your character with Gary. Although you two make me wanna puke sometimes… I am pretty sure the fans will love it!” Jongkook making fun of them is a sign that he’s ok so she’s convinced.

When they reached Kwangsoo’s home, they made themselves at home. Kwangsoo definitely had some someone over the day before. It was Valentine’s Day. But he never tells them who he is dating. He used to tell and they get to curious that it annoys him. With this new girl, he prefer to keep it a secret. Gary knows he is seeing someone but he too doesn’t know who she is. He seek love advise from Gary and trust Gary would not tell even if he told him. But Gary never asked after the first time he refused to tell. He respects his privacy. But Kwangsoo was annoyed that the rest was bullying him in his own home. Jihyo busied herself in the kitchen because she was the only woman and it was awkward to join them talking on her new show. But she heard them talk and thought they were doing great giving it exposure. Gary was the one she least expect to do so well. Gary doesn’t like faking things and he can only do it if he has good reasons to justify.

Since the beginning of filming that morning, things are looking great. It did look made up because the things they were telling were not that consistent with what they’ve been showing in the program before. They thought it was OK to look made up so the people can actually know that they weren’t being dishonest.. They were just doing it for the show.

She even cringed when she had moments with Gary and he was saying things to hint that he was still the man chasing after her affection when he clearly is that man. She saw him putting so much effort into making this episode for her.

The moment destiny played along with her, everybody was in shock and surprised. It was surreal it could have been scripted. But it wasn’t. Gary picked the first stick and he was displeased and didn’t want to go to Jeju for the mission. It was apparent on his face until he realized he could be going with Jihyo. When it was her, he was ecstatic. His reaction was genuinely happy but being the witty one, he was quick to come up with Bolin’s name.
Jihyo still in awe and could not digest the fact that the day turned out even better for her without even being planned. She was stunned but she can see how happy Gary is to see luck is on their side.

So they had a better prospect on promoting Monday Couple for the rest of the filming.. Alone. 

“Can’t we just film ourself?” Gary really wanted a private getaway. Jihyo knows and smiled. She didn’t say much. She let Gary lead the whole thing. She was actually impressed with how Gary took charge of the filming. She went along with him, she supported his effort with hers. They were working very well together.

“Oh My God! It’s snowing! Jeju should not be snowing… Ever!” He was whining to himself not realizing Jihyo was actually watching and admiring him. “Come on.. Let’s continue..” He took a deep breath and collected himself, ready to resume the character he had been building the whole day. 

In the car, Gary requested for the VJ to stop filming them to give Jihyo time to rest. He saw her very tired. She have not had enough rest the past week and filming was tiring. He held her hand and she leaned her head on his shoulder to take a quick nap. She took naps whenever she can. She never asked for it but Gary reads her well. He knows when she needs them and did his best to give her just that.

“Thank you, oppa..” He heard her whisper weakly. She was really tired.
But the moment she had to work, the moment the camera started recording, she suddenly had the energy. He saw how much she put in to get her job done. Deep down he felt guilty for making her so busy she can barely rest. He was determined to make it right for her. 

She saw what he was trying to do the whole day. She saw his efforts. She knew he felt guilty although she never complained. She was putting up to it to make sure it was worth his effort, to assure him that she appreciates what he does for her.

It felt like a real date. It’s the first time they actually get to spend time away together like that. The VJ was a convenient excuse for them to enjoy the date. She was feeding him food from her spoon, wiping off the stain near his lips. When the VJ stopped filming to go for a toilet break, Gary leaned back agains the wall and she dropped the spoon on the table and lay down on his lap. She was exhausted. She closed her eyes to steal a few minutes to nap. Gary was caressing the side of her face to make her relax and nap better. 
“I know you’re tired honey.. We’re almost done. Sleep for a while, I’ll stall some time for you…” He whispered softly. When the VJ came back, he signaled with a finger to his lips telling the VJ to keep quiet.
“You get some food to eat now.. Give her 15 minutes. She’s tired. I’ll call you in later” The VJ nodded and left them both in the room.
Jihyo woke up upon hearing the door shut. She sat up instantly. “We’re starting now?” Gary smiled looking at her sleepy face. He pulled her to lean back against him. “Sleep a little more.. I’ll wake you up in a bit.” He whispered and she pulled his arms around her in a tighter hug and slept on.

After 15minutes, he woke her up. “Honey… Honey…” He called her softly but she woke up to his soft voice although noise heard from outside the room didn’t wake her. She stretched her body and arms and felt better.
She turned to look at him still leaning against the wall watching her with a smile.
“Was I too heavy leaning on you?” He shook his head no. “You’re as light as feather.” His usual answer when she asks about her weight and the answer deserved a hug from her. And a kiss that lasted too long.

“Can we just go back now? I just want to stay home and sleep…” 
“We just film a little more here. I don’t think we have enough scenes for them to work on. We have 1 hour more.” His hands were fixing her hair for her. 
“I’ll go call the VJ now.” He was already at the door but when he turned to look at her to check if she’s really OK to film. She looked a lot better than before the nap.

They continued eating while filming. Suddenly she heard the VJ asking them to hurry up and checked her phone for the time. 
“Oppa.. we don’t have time…” She had been wanting to do something special since they started eating. She got an idea while eating and had kept the thing she needs for it and to wait for a good moment to execute her plan. 

Suddenly she picked it up from the table and reached out to hold his hand up. She slid the ring onto his pinky finger, to his pleasant surprise. He was so happy but he was still in control and was cool about it. He made joke out of it.
She was shy with her move. She was never that bold in front of the camera with him. He had that questioning eye when he was trying to figure her out and she got even more embarrassed. That was why, armed with his wit, he joked about it.
“No girl has given a ring to me…” she knew he was supposed to continue the sentence with “except you” but he was extra  professional to make it into a scene that she was impressed. He can really do things if he put his heart to it.  He was speaking half the truth. She was the first woman to have given him a ring.. A day before. 
She kept holding his hand pretending to look at the ring. She wanted an excuse to hold his hand for the filming. It was her chance to be sweet to him. She had always wanted to but when the other members are around, they like to for being all lady like and soft around Gary. Now that they’re alone, she can just be herself with him. The chance to show what she is really like with him and how she is always charmed by his words and actions.
They had to rush to the airport to catch the plane, both secretly praying for a snowstorm so they could stay on the romantic island.
“I wish we can stay here and wake up to the sea tomorrow..” He whispered to her while lining up for security check at the airport. She held his arm and smiled. She ‘talked’ to him with her action, in silence. “You’re lucky I can read your mind..” And she moved her hand up his arm where his lucky tattoo was hidden under 3 layers of clothing. He understood that too. “I can get use to this.. Reading your gestures and mind..” He paused and looked her in the eye.
“.. But I may not get you when we fight” he suddenly thought of how it would be if they were fighting and she was to communicate in silence. His worried face amused her.

He made sure she slept well on the plane. One thing he loves about night flights. They dim the lights and almost everybody sleeps right after take off. He would have taken night flights for granted before. But he is always grateful for night flights with her. They can get away with her leaning on him or ‘unconsciously’ holding on to him in her sleep. He didn’t sleep. It was a one-hour flight and short naps will get him cranky and lose his focus. He’s determined to finish the shoot with his jovial self. He wanted to make sure nobody is taking pictures of them too.  He used the time to take selfies of them and go through the photos he had been taking the whole day. 
Then, he took her phone from her pocket and unlocked it using his fingerprint. She has 2 phones. One he said he would never look at without asking her so she can have her privacy, the other one is the one they shared access to because she insisted he has access to it. She did it because before they got to this stage in their relationship where he could trust her this much, he was always questioning her love for him and had always felt inferior. She wanted him to have access to her phone to check her communications to gain his trust. He could actually access both her phones with his fingerprint but he only does it on one.

“You can go through my phones anytime.” He felt guilty that she had to resort to that to earn his trust. He refused. She insisted. “Please oppa… Just make me feel better… I hate having to fight with you on small matters. This will resolve half of our fights.” But he never opened to check on her conversations to clear his doubts. He trusted her enough to ask her and accept her answers. He told her he would only open one phone and the other will be the one that’s supposed to teach him to trust her. It was just to comfort her. He never go through her chats. He goes through to see photos or videos of them and her calendar to set and check her schedule.

Filming ended very late and finally Gary gets to get a rest. Jihyo had naps but he didn’t. It was apparent that he was very tired when they walked through the door of their home. 

Jihyo prepared a hot bath for both of them to relax before going to bed. He had his eyes close, lying back enjoying the warm water enveloping him. Jihyo was doing the same on opposite end of the tub. 
“Oppa…” She called out softly still in the same positions, they talked comfortably without having to look at each other and enjoying the relaxing rhythm of the water jets. “… thank you for today. I’ve told you so many times but I will tell you again.. you really take good care of me. Thank you.”
“Hmmm” he acknowledged her thank you but was too tired to speak. 
“You really were amazing today.. I know you could not lie and can’t really act. But you went out of your way to make all the scenes to fit the objective. It must have been hard to justify all that half truths in your mind.” He is a man of principles and in order to do those things he would have justifications that would make him allow himself to do things like he did today. And she knows his justifications will always revolved around her. To make the best for her.
“Yeah.. That’s why I am extra tired.” He finally spoke up with his weak voice. She lifted her head and opened her eyes to look at him. He was peacefully lying back, his eyes still closed. She went forward and kneaded his forehead for him after giving him a peck on it. “Thank you”

When she saw him too sleepy, she pulled him out of the tub and pushed him into the shower to rinse off and pushed him to the bedroom to get into bed while she cleaned up. When she was done, he was already sound asleep on his side of the bed under covers. As she lay on his chest, his body slightly turned to fit hers out of habit. “You’re definitely made for me” she thought and smiled her way into slumber.

They had a full day to rest the next day and going out is definitely not something they wanted to do. They stayed in and Jihyo cooked up a meal for him. She had gotten a whole lot better at cooking. She had her chef friend give her cooking lessons on her free days. He was supportive. 

He was unpacking his backpack and found the ring she put on him the night before and compared to the ring he was wearing on his finger. He put it on this morning. She walked up to him and saw that he was looking at the measuring spoon ring. 
“Don’t tell me you’re trying to figure out which one you like better..” She got him out of his thoughts. He stood up to face her.
“You’re reading my mind now?” He smiled cheekily. “I like the real one better… But I like this too” he held up the cheap ring. “..it’s the first time you’re that sweet and spontaneous while we film. I was rather impressed by what you did with this ring… I shall keep this safe.” He walked out of the closet room and she followed him. He went into the bedroom and put the ring in his box of his other expensive designer rings.
He turned and linked his fingers through hers and walked out with her to the dining table.
“Don’t you think that it feels like we’re married?” He chuckled. “The ring… Now you’re cooking up meals for me.”
She always avoids the marriage topic with him. He had been ready for a long time but knew she wasn’t ready. He would have asked if she showed any indication that she wanted to. He didn’t want to pressure her into it.
“Let’s not get into that…” She smiled nervously and he smiled supportively. 
“As long as we’re living happily like this… I don’t care if we are.” He winked at her.
“Plus… I know you’re crazily in love with me…” He was so sure of himself that he sounded cocky. And he laughed at himself.
“And I am crazy in love with you… That’s all that matters.” He kissed her on the cheek and started eating.
She wasn’t eating, her arms on the table, looking at him, admiring the man.
“Aren’t you eating? Here..” He put some meat on her rice and continued eating. “This taste really good! You’re really good at cooking.. Remind me to thank your friend when we meet her.”
“By the way… You’ve got photoshoot tomorrow at noon. Your call time is 9 am. I’ve arranged for Moonie to send you there. But he’ll come back to my office while you’re there. I want him to work on some of my projects.” He was briefing her on her schedule.
“You were so charming just a while ago… And suddenly you talk of work…” She can’t decide if she is upset or amazed that he could turn the situation around so fast. She decided to feel good today and laughed about it.
“Sorry ma’am for ruining it for you.. I just remembered I need Moonie tomorrow and you have a schedule so I thought it out hehehe”
“It’s OK. You can have Moonie. He’ll be bored waiting for me at the studio anyway. My staff should be enough.”

Moonie dropped her off and rushed to his favorite brother. “Can’t you hangout for a while. Gary said you can be there at 10. It’s 2 hours from now” 
“I want to be early. You’re not there, so he had probably started work… I wouldn’t want to miss it. Don’t disturb us today.”
Jihyo likes how her brother had changed since Gary took charge of his life. Gary had turned the little brother into a man. She is happy.

When she was done with makeup and on time to go out on the photoshoot set, she felt her phone vibrating and the tone indicated it is a reminder. She didn’t remember having anything set on her calendar for the day besides the photoshoot. So she took out her phone to check if she missed a schedule.

“Your boyfriend loves you” was what appeared on her screen. She smiled her brightest smile that day. Gary put in in her reminder because he would be busy the whole day.
“..and she misses you” she texted him those words knowing Gary would get the long version of what she was trying to tell him.