The Prince

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

The room’s phone ringing woke him up. “Yes.. Yes… Yes… 45 minutes… yes” he was just agreeing to the instructions half asleep.  He didn’t really hear the whole thing but he got the important points. “45 minutes. Lobby. Shower later.” he repeated to himself after he ended the call. He set his alarm in 20 minutes. And rolled to his left. Jihyo was deep in her sleep on her side, facing him. He scooted closer kissed her while his arms hug her close before dozing off again.

His alarm was so loud but it didn’t wake him. Jihyo woke up instead. His face was close to hers she could feel him breathing. She reached out to dismiss the alarm on his phone and dragged her hand back towards his face. “Oppa… wake up. Oppa..” he moved but couldn’t open his eyes. He continued to sleep.  She tried again, his cheek, to no avail. She leaned in near his ear and shouted “aaaaaaa~~~~!!!” not too loud but she was too close he woke up instantly lifting his head up and hit her. “Ouch! That hurts!” she rubs her head, lying back down on her pillow.  He grabbed her head and where she was touching. “Sorry… but you shouted and I panicked. Why did you shout so loud? Is something wrong?” He leaned above her with a worried face.

She smiled the sweetest smile “Sorry to make you panic.. I tried waking you up but it’s so hard I had to shout.” He let out a deep breath he had been keeping in, relieved. “Why did you set your alarm so early?”

“Oh!” He final remembered the call earlier. He looked at his phone for the time. “The PD called. We’re supposed to be downstairs in 20 minutes” Jihyo sat up to get out of bed. “He specifically said to go down with our bedroom face… he said to shower later” he chuckled remembering what that phrase meant to them. She went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face. “Oppa, come here… you need to shave” he obediently went into the bathroom. She handed him his toothbrush. She went through his toiletries bag for his shaver and shaving foam.

He wiped his mouth and turned to her. She proceeded to spread the foam over his chin and shave him clean. She patted the aftershave afterwards and gave him a good morning kiss.  “Wait, you look too good..” she messed up his hair. Satisfied with her work she looked at herself in the mirror. “OK I look like I just woke up…” She looked at him in the mirror. “Why do you look so handsome in the morning?” He was smiling so widely and hugged her from behind “because I woke up to you” he said nuzzling her hair. “Let’s go.”

When the PD announced they will be paired off… She thought she will get Gary. But of course they had to separate them. He was paired with yet another beauty while she’s stuck with Sukjin.  “At least I don’t have to worry about him being jealous” she thought to herself. Since everybody chose the famous route, she decided she’d go on the other route so she can be with Gary. Besides, they’d get less attention from the production.

Gary and Yuram played pool after dinner last night with a few others. They’re comfortable with each other.  “You must be really in love with her” she said watching him smiling while he watched Jihyo get in the car. He turned to his partner and smiled “very!” he proudly admits. “You’ve been with her for so long… yet you look like you’re newly in love” She has been watching the both of them together since they filmed and saw they were both equally in love and very much like a new couple. “I guess we are busy with our work and we often have our off times… but when we’re good like this, it’s the best.  You haven’t seen us on our ‘off’ time. We fight like a divorce couple!” He laughed remembering how they fight. “But those couple fights make days like this better” he said positively. She admires them. “It’s nice to see the real Monday Couple.  I had a feeling you’re real. My friends in showbiz said you’re real but seeing it for myself, I am convinced.. and happy for you!”

Sukjin said to pray from the heart.  He focused on the prayer. He wanted so much for it to come true. When he lifted the rock, it’s heavier than before he prayed. It means his wish will come true. He didn’t tell them what he wished for but instead said he is now praying for 100 billion won.  Jihyo smiled at his wish for wealth but she knows that must not have been his wish.  She is curious about it too. 

They separated after the mission and met again during the wedding photo session. “You should be doing this with him” Sukjin whispered to her. “Well, he is not my partner right now.”  Gary saw them talking and figured they were talking about him. It’s a wedding photo mission.  He can roughly guess what they were talking about.  He too wanted the picture with her. He decided he should have a picture with her first before his partner.  The moment it started he went to her side. He didn’t care if the man is supposed to be on the other side.  He wanted a picture near her first. He’ll get back to the mission later.  Jihyo was surprised to see him behind her after the first round. Getting back to their starting position he walked next to her and whispered “I have to have the first picture with you before any other girl.” She blushed. He can be overly thoughtful and romantic when she least expects it. When he went back to his partner, Yuram asked him why he didn’t get into the groom’s position. “Sorry… It’s a wedding photo, I have to take it with her first” he apologized but Yuram thought it was so romantic she didn’t care if he was going to do it for the rest of the game.

 

………

“Oppa.. you prayed so seriously this morning… mind telling me what you prayed for?” she asked on their ride home. “You noticed?” he chuckled. “It is quite a selfish wish I prayed for.”

“oh… how selfish can you be?” she is more curious than ever. “very selfish.” He paused while stopping at the traffic light. Turned to her. “I wished you would stay with me no matter how bad things get”. She smiled at him “I don’t think that’s selfish… I don’t think things will get any worse than it already had in the past anyway”. She took out her phone for a selfie with him while he’s not driving. She turned facing the window and he scooched closer to have his face next to hers.

The light turned green. He drove on. “so… did you wish for me?” he was curious. “No. I wished I have the wealth to last me a lifetime” He was surprised. She was never the one with dreams for a lot of wealth.  She is just a simple person. “I wanted to wish for you… but I was afraid.  What if the rock says otherwise?” He got it.  She is very superstitious. He remembered the last time they had fortune tellers during filming.  She was so scared of what they were going to tell about them as a couple.

“That reminds me… when we had the fortune tellers for the destiny couple… is it the same reason that got you so scared? You were holding on to me so tight” She nodded. “I wanted you so much, I was afraid if we weren’t meant to be. I don’t want to know. I’d rather not know than living in fear of the possibility of losing you some day,”

“You know… that is one of the sweetest thing you’ve ever said to me” he took her hand and brought it to his lips for a kiss. “One more thing… normally you would be jealous if I am paired up with a beautiful girl. You weren’t jealous today I am confused.”

“Who said I wasn’t??” she sounded annoyed. “You were holding hands a lot!” she pinched his arm. “But you didn’t show it. I thought you were fine with it” He said defensively. “Do I have to show it every time? I thought you would know by now”

He laced his fingers between hers and held tight. “I know. I just want to make sure. I am relieved you’re still jealous. Please be jealous so I know you’re so in love with me” he said cheekily.

“Oppa…” she started changing the subject. She had been waiting for the right time to tell him. “I have to go for a photoshoot out of town.  I thought of going earlier since Jenny is back from the US. I want to spend time catching up with her. Will it be okay?”

“Sure… you don’t have to ask me.  You can just tell me of your plans. You have your friends too. I catch up with my friends all the time. You should too” She had always been understanding when he goes out partying with his friends and she is left at home alone waiting for him. Sometimes he would go out for days. “With you, it’s different. You’re in music.  You hang out with those friends to talk about music and stuff, and build your support system.  It’s actually part of your work.” She said matter of factly. “So you’ll be ok with me gone? I’ll go tomorrow and be back for next week’s filming”

“Tomorrow?!?” he is already regretting telling her to go. She laughed at his reaction. “You said I can just tell you and go!”

“Next time, tell me sooner please.  So I can get ready to miss you” She his hand. “I’ll be going at noon.  We have the whole night tonight. I can sleep on the way to the place tomorrow. What would you like to do?”

“I want some burgers right now! Then, we’ll watch a movie at home… and then…”

“OK OK… anything you want.” She agreed to whatever he was going to say next.

She arrived with the morning flight just in time for filming. It’s a scripted filming which means they are given roles to work with although the interactions and how they do the missions are not scripted. She went in the room for wardrobe and makeup. Gary had already changed and was waiting in her room. She had a huge smile on her face excited to see him. She spread out her arms and ran to hug him. “I miss you so much!” She spread kisses all over his face to show how happy she was to see him. Her stylist, used to it, ignored them and continued preparing her clothes and makeup.

“Did you have fun with Jenny?” both had their arms around each other. “Yes, I had fun but I miss you. Please remind me not to go away for so long next time.” Even his laugh sounds like music to her now.  “Please stay close to me today…”  He asked so softly she felt like holding on to him the whole day for filming.  She nodded, held his face and sealed it with a kiss. A kiss that lasted too long for them to be breathing normally afterwards.

“You should change now. I’ll go wait outside.” He let go of her but she pulled his hand. “Can’t you wait here? I just came back and you’re leaving me.” 

“Alright. You go and change. I’ll sit right here.” He pulled a chair to the makeup table and sit himself. “Hyejin-ah… make sure he doesn’t leave this room and don’t flirt with him” she instructed the stylist playfully. “I wouldn’t dare mess with your man.”

Gary chatted with her while she had her make up done, including the stylist make-up artist in their conversation too. A knock sounded on the door and Kwangsoo peeked in.  “Kwangsoo, come in” Gary went over to him to pull him in. “You must miss your noona.” He pushed him to take his seat and he went to the door. “I need to smoke outside. I’ll be back” He didn’t wait for her reply because he knows she would make him stay until she’s done.

She was done and chatting with Kwangsoo animatedly when he came back for her. “My princess is all beautiful!” he announced his presence. She held out her hand to him and he pulled her out of her seat into his embrace.  “Ayyyy! Don’t you get bored of each other??” Kwangsoo asked in annoyance. “It’s been years and you’re like some students in love.”

“Ya! Shut up… try getting a girlfriend and you’ll know!” That is always how their quarrelling begins. “He has a girlfriend” Gary said coolly. Her eyes wide, surprised by the news.  “Seriously??” Kwangsoo nodded shyly. “So you finally asked her out!” She went and hug him forgetting they were about to quarrel a minute ago. “No, I didn’t. Gary hyung asked her out for me”

She looked at Gary smiling at the scene in front of him. He loves seeing his girlfriend and their younger brother together. She smiled at Gary, silently thanking him for helping him out, Gary and Jihyo always look out for Kwangsoo. He is like their baby brother. He had been a great support to their relationship always going out of his way to cover up for them.

Jihyo was actually limping before the mission even started. The heels are too big for her and it hurt her feet. She didn’t complain but he saw her limping getting out of the van.  He authoritatively called the crew nearby and ask them to get her stylist to get her new shoes.  “Oppa it’s ok.  I was going to ask Hyejin to bring me a pair of shoes later.” Gary was serious, she had to talk softly.  He gets serious if he is worried. “Get back in the van.” He instructed her. She did as told.  He followed after her.  He stood outside and took of her shoes off to look at her feet. “It’s all red.” He lightly massaged them better.

“That feels good” besides feeling better, she wanted to make his mood better.  Hyejin came running after the crew told her Gary was upset.  She had been working for her for the past 3 years and when Gary calls for her, it means it is related to Jihyo and he would normally be upset.  “What’s wrong?”

Before Gary could say anything, Jihyo spoke up. “The shoes are hurting my feet.  Can you please get me other shoes”. She went off right away. Gary refrained himself from telling off her staffs. She doesn’t like it.  She treats her staff too kindly. “Oppa, don’t blame her. She wouldn’t know the shoes aren’t comfortable”.

He climbed in the van and sat next to her. “Next time, can you please tell them if you’re uncomfortable with your wardrobe and stuffs? You wouldn’t want to see me upset like this right?” She touched his cheek and smiled. “Oppa, don’t worry too much. I was going to tell them when I see them. Calm down please. Besides.. Your massage healed my feet” she rewarded him with a kiss on his cheek. “Thank you for taking care of me”. He had his arm around her her back while he kissed her cheek. “I’ll go now. Make sure you change into good shoes ok”

She felt blessed to have such a caring man that constantly worries about her well-being.  He makes her feel like a princess.

….

Going through their last mission he is supercharged knowing the prince will get to kiss the princess to wake her up.  All the clues indicated him. He was thanking the writers of the show for making it the Monday Couple episode. He wants to be her one true love. That was what he prayed for last week. 

There were three of them left.  Jihyo came out to eliminate the guest.  She was given the liberty to make her choice.  The producers created a twist to make the program interesting.  She turned out to be the witch of the fairy tale that disguised herself as the princess. But in reality, she wanted her prince to come to her for the kiss. She left the crown for Gary to finally make him prince.

“Gary is going to be upset if he finds out I am using him today” she thought to herself. But she will deal with him later.  She has a job to be done.

During the game she heard him boastfully saying he was going to kiss her on the lips and not anywhere else on the face if he is prince.   The PDs instruction was clear... on the forehead. She thought it is the best opportunity to give that to him.  What he had wanted all this while but she could not give. He wanted a kiss on screen. He was upset when some random guest stole that first kiss from her. Although they both knew they had their kiss during the second Peppero game. But of course the production showed the other angle and cheated him off that kiss he wanted shown. This is how she is going to make up to him.  She’ll let him have that kiss.

When he finally came up to her lying on the pedestal as Snow White, she knew he was nervous.  What he had waited all these years is finally materializing in front of him. She heard him and could not contain her smile. She is convinced he was nervous.  She had a feeling he would chicken out.

She was just going to lie down and accept whichever kiss he was ready to give on screen. He bent down and planted a real kiss on the forehead.  Not a peck but a kiss. At that same moment she felt proud of him.  He must have contemplated and decided on the best kiss for her good.  He is indeed the gentleman she loves.

She opened her eyes and sat up to look at him. He seemed like a character out of the comic. But she noticed the look on his face. She laughed “I think I should just go back to sleep!”. When she laid herself down Gary was already bending down to attempt another kiss with improved confidence.  She held him back.  He already created a good portrayal of a prince charming, she thought best not to ruin it.

Together they eliminated Jongkook. Gary knew her well to know she is hiding something from him.  He knew that was not the end of the filming. He sensed there must be a way to eliminate her.  He attacked her in an act of betrayal. She was failing miserably to convince him.  He thought it was going nowhere and stopped.  The way she smiled, he knew she was up to something and decided he doesn’t care.

“Do you remember the couple tees with our names?” She was using it to hint to him what she was about to do.  A fan sent them the couple tees with a long note telling them not to fight so often. He always quote the note, the part where the fan said “no matter how she betrays you on the show, be nice to her. Just let her win and be happy. I am sure you’ll be happy when she is…” He always tells her that just so she knows, he can be happy for her. He got her message and went along.  He would not mind losing to her.

“Oppa… My feet hurt. Can you carry me down? The stairs are killing me” she whined when they were getting ready to film the rest of the show. He was tired but he knew she hurt her feet earlier.  He also knew her intention to be sweet to with him so that the rest of the show won’t be too hard on him.  She is good at prepping him for her betrayal on the show.  She always try to make it less of a blow to his ego.  He bended down so she could climb on his back. She whispered “I love you, my prince”. And he was reenergized to carry her down the long path.

“You must have eaten a lot” He dare not say she’s getting heavier directly. She is just happy to be close to him, she didn’t care if he said she gained weight. “you’re just tired, that’s why you feel me heavier” She hugged him tighter to show her appreciation for what he was doing.

He set her down. He knew she was going to do something to eliminate him. He pretended to be clueless of it. He would let her win. True enough, she ripped his tag to take all the gold.  He was not upset.  He was applauding, proud of her. After the PD shouted “cut” she went up to him and held his arm. “Sorry, oppa…” He turned to smile a tired smile. “It’s ok baby… You’ve worked hard today.” He put his arm around her neck and pulled her in for another kiss on the forehead.

“Lunch on me tomorrow!” She announced to the other 5 members, cheering happily for her. They love having meals together.  With their busy schedule, they rarely get to do it often. 

….

“Are your feet better?” she was on the bed rubbing moisturising cream on her feet. He finished drying his hair and threw his towel into the laundry basket and sat at her feet on the bed. He took over rubbing the cream in, gently. “It feels much better now.”

After he’s done, he dragged her out of the room and sat her in the living room.  He took the pizzas and drinks from the kitchen and put it on the coffee table. She pulled him down next to her.  “let’s sit first. I want to cuddle.  I missed you so much and we didn’t have alone time the whole day.”

He gave in and gathered her to him and kissed her on the forehead.  “Do you like my forehead so much?” She joked. “You have not kissed me on the lips since this morning.” He laughed and pulled her chin up for a real kiss.

“Oppa… why didn’t you kiss me on the lips during filming? You wanted an on-screen kiss so bad before. I wanted to give you that just now.  But you chose my forehead instead” She thinks she knows his answer.  She just loves hearing him telling her in his deep voice.

“Because I thought you just had a kiss with that guy… kissing you again may look as if it is so easy on you. I don’t want people to perceive you that way.  Besides, the PD said to kiss the forehead.  If I go for your lips, wouldn’t it look even worse? I should treat you with respect, I know I can get all the kisses I want at home”  He ended it cheekily. She didn’t expect him to relate to that kiss. But it was so thoughtful of him, she was moved. “You know, you are never selfish.  Even when you’re angry, you will put me first before anything else.” She hugged him tighter. Kissing the nape of his neck. “Even when you prayed at the stone. I don’t think you were selfish. I think you were praying for me. You know how weak I am when you go away during our fights. You could be without me for weeks.  But even when we weren’t fighting, one week was so hard for me”

“I did all that because I want you to myself.” He reassured her. “and all those weeks apart from you… convinced me I need you”

“Do you need to convince yourself so often??” She was quick to catch on what he was saying. “I think you know me well enough to know why I do things… I need a lot of convincing... often too.” He felt guilty for behaving that way. “I think I should work harder so that you’re convinced longer. But can you at least make it shorter? Or at least be around me even when you’re upset?” He looked at her and smiled his appreciation. She is always so positive even when he gets ridiculously annoying at times. “I am so sorry for making you miserable so often.  I am working on it… Please bear with me while I do.”  She didn’t say anything in response. She just leaned in for a kiss. “Is that convincing enough?” He nodded happily. “If you need more convincing… Just let me know. I’ll try to ‘convince’ you as much as I can” He was turning the ring on his right finger. She saw it and touch his right hand. “Why are you always touching the ring?” She could not understand why he always does that. “I have to make sure it’s still there. I don’t want to lose it.”  She realized he still feels inferior.

“Can I take back that ring then? So you don’t have to worry about it so much?” He was taken aback by her words. He looked at her in confusion. “If it’s so hard… You don’t have to wear it.  Let me keep it for you” She thought by giving him the ring, it would convince him but it turned out to be a burden to him. “No way! I am not giving it back!”

“Then stop thinking it will fall off anytime. I gave you that ring so you would be happy wearing it… looks like it’s burdening you instead.” She was going to pull the ring off his finger. “Noo!!! Don’t!” he pulled his hand away and she laughed at him panicking. She cupped his face with both hands and kissed him to get his mind off that ring. “Stop being afraid. I am right here with you. I am not going anywhere. I am the one who’s supposed to be worrying about you leaving me. You surround yourself with too many pretty girls. I’m pretty sure they’re ready to be with you the moment you ask.” She turned it around on him. He started scratching his head trying to respond to that.

“But I don’t want to be with them…”

“That is my point! Why worry about all those guys when I am here with you… I am always here even when you’re off somewhere ‘convincing’ yourself” He touched her eyebrows with his thumbs, it back and forth along the line. Smiling romantically at her. “This is why I fall deeper…” He kissed her forehead. “because of my forehead??” she joked. “Hahaha! That... and your legs.”

“Next time… try not to reveal too much of your legs during filming.  You know how hard it is for me to not look downwards?? I would have climbed up that pedestal if there weren’t cameras all over the room!”

“I knew it! I saw that look after the kiss!”

That night, pizzas were eaten cold.