The Beginning of All Things Great

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

Myuk came to see him immediately after receiving his call. It was 1 am. Gary was at his office. It’s pretty busy inside as Myuk got in. Many of his staff are busy working on some project. He noticed the boards with his clothing brand being carried around. He walked into his private room. A simple yet practical office. A desk, a bed and a few other things for him to work.

“You sounded so stressed out on the phone just now. And you know you’re really important to our show… I have to get to you. I don’t want to lose you…”

“Myuk… I am really sorry, I really can’t do this anymore. I’ve tried for the past 6 months. I really can’t put my life on hold now…”

“Does Jihyo know?” Myuk knows she is the reason he agreed on staying. They’ve been using her as an excuse to make him stay. He refused to renew his contract, to the shock of everybody on the show including Jihyo. Jihyo was upset he didn’t mention it to her. And everybody else was trying to talk him into signing. He was not giving in. But Jihyo was not happy. He agreed to stay on without a contract just so she would listen to him. She didn’t want to listen. He did whatever he could to make her feel better… to postpone it and not talk about it with her.

“She doesn’t know..yet. I have to talk to you first.” He went out the door to tell one of his staff to not disturb him in the room and locked the door.

“You know I’ve been holding on and postponing because of her. She refused to hear me out whenever I bring up this matter to her. But I have to do it. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking…” he took a breather and Myuk was listening to him in silence, he knew Gary needed to talk it out. He had been a good listener all these years and Gary trusts him.

“You see… I wanted a normal life. I know the show has given me a lot to be thankful for. All of you are the reason we fell in love when we were falling out of it. I owe a huge part of me to you guys. I would have left when we broke up. I stayed as friend to all of you. I guess my good intention paid off. I got her back.” He was smiling because it was a turning point, getting her back. Myuk knew how much he treasures the moments he had with them and how it had made his life a whole lot better.

“Then I let the years pass by. When we’re happy and comfortable with life, we tend to be complacent and forgot to plan ahead. I have plans that I have put on hold for so long. Because I wanted all this. I wanted the friends... I wanted her most of all.”

“But isn’t she part of your plan? You know this won’t make her happy. You’re going to risk it…”

“She is not part of it… she is the plan. She wasn’t in the plan initially, it changed a few years back. I made her part of my plan, then after all these years, she became the plan.” He looked serious.

“I see… I believe you have your reasons… I’m here to hear you out. I am your friend. I’ll try to understand you…”

“When we broke up… the plan was to be filthy rich and successful. Deep down I wanted to prove to her that I can be the man she would be proud of. She was never about money, she wanted to see me be great, I failed miserably the first time. Part of the reason I stayed on the show was to get back to her for leaving me. To show what she’s missing... to rub it in. To make her hurt the way I did. Bad of me. But later on, I realized it was all because I love her. I wanted her. I did work my off. It wasn’t to hurt her anymore, it was to make her want the better me.” Myuk was nodding, taking in his words.

“It was hard to convince her… it took months! It came to a point that I was so frustrated and angry, I wrote Zotto Mola and sent the lyrics to her. Just to let her know how upset I was. That was the best lyrics I had written because it made her talk to me. Though it didn’t get her to come back, we became friends and we talked a lot. We decided to just be friends because it was really good as friends. Then you know the rest of the story… the push and pull and finally she agreeing to date again.” Myuk nodded. He didn’t know why Gary had to tell him the details of it but he listened anyway, hoping he’d get to his point soon.

“From then on, it got very personal. You see how we were so in love and sometimes can get very jealous that you had a hard time handling us on set… I am sorry for that by the way”. He chuckled remembering how they were.

“Hahaha! That was a period where I find it so hard to manage… you never tell me if you had issues and by the time we found out, the shoot was already running and we had to carry on anyway. But sometimes it’s really good for me too… it gave good moments to make your loveline believable and I too had fun provoking you two on the show.”

“Yeah… you’re actually the reason we fight a lot too! But all is good. It made us better as a couple… and because of that I am very certain that she is the one I want to live for. And because of that, I want to quit the show…”

“but you can’t just quit… you’re THE couple. If you go off suddenly, it’ll be really weird.. have you ever thought how awkward it will be for her without you?” Myuk was already trying to make him change his mind.

“No, I am not going to just quit… I am telling you now so we can prepare for it to make it OK when the time comes..”

“Oh!”

“I’ll give it til the end of this year. But if I think it should end sooner, I’ll let you know. Meanwhile, I’ll try to slow down on the loveline and you need to slowly let it go off the show too. That’s why I am telling you. You’ll talk to the management.”

“This will be hard on me. The management is aware of you leaving. They told me to do whatever I can to hold you… It won’t be a problem but I’d rather not talk to them unless I have to. Let’s just do this quietly first. I don’t want the news to break.”

“I agree… I don’t want Jihyo to know yet…”

“Wait…. You said she’s the plan… by any chance, are you planning to start a family??” The realization dawned on him. Gary laughed at Myuk’s expression.

“That will be my plan… she doesn’t know. I don’t even know if she’d agree to it. But someone has to start planning. I can’t go on each day wondering if she’d be there the next day. She can’t go on wondering if the girls I meet are gonna make me not want her anymore. It’s not that I am not convinced or I don’t trust myself or her… I just want something definite. Where these little things should not bother us anymore. Where we’ll be at a point we can stop being uncertain and people will stop trying to make things different for us. I want to avoid all those. I want her sure and safe. I want to take care of her. And you know the management would not allow this. I’d get rid of all the things that will get in the way… Last time it was her contract. Now, I don’t want us making decisions because of our commitments or business. It should be private and of our own personal choices… as much as possible.”

“I know I should not be happy… but I am really happy to hear this. I am going to do this for you. I am still consulting the production this year, I am going to help you out. But when will you tell her?”

“Not now… she has a lot going on… and I have a lot to plan for her. The moment I am certain when I’ll leave, I’ll let her know first. And be prepared, she may leave too. She did hint on it on few occasions. Don’t be surprised if the others follow suit. You should tell them to plan for the worse.” Myuk looked at him, shocked to hear that. He suspected Gary has a big plan planned out.

“You’re going to play it dirty aren’t you?” and he saw a lopsided smile appear on Gary’s face. They have been friends long enough for him to know and his loyalty is for this friend. “just make sure you’re able to wash your hands clean, afterwards. Whatever you’re thinking, I’m in. Besides, it’s getting bad for me too... I may want out too.”

They talked on their plans until morning. He had coffee and food delivered while they were laying out their plans for the rest of the year. Both were happy with the plan. It was a long discussion. By the time they walked out of the room, a few of Gary’s staff were already sleeping on the couch and floor.

….

Gary went home to freshen up and get the house in order. Jihyo said she would be coming home. It’s been a busy week for them. They had not met since they last filmed. He had been missing her. His facial hair left unshaved, as proof of how long he’s been left unattended. She didn’t mind the facial hair as it made him look older and wiser and hotter. But she made sure he shaved first especially if she has to work the next day. She can’t have her face red from rubbing against the stubbles.

She walked into the quiet home, expecting Gary to still be in bed. She put away her stuffs and went into the kitchen to make breakfast. When she’s done, she went in to wake him up for breakfast. He was missing from the bed. The bed was made up. The room didn’t have his scent lingering. She sighed thinking he was not home yet. He said he was working late but he was going to be home before her.

The sound of the shower running instantly made her smile and stood up from the bed, heading towards the bathroom. She opened the door to see the shower glass covered in steam but she can make out Gary’s figure rinsing beneath the shower. She waited for him to come out. She saw that he had the shaving foam and shaver ready by the sink. He came out with the bath towel around his waist.

“Hello old man!” He looked up with a smile.

“You’re home!” He walked up to her to kiss and hug her. “Just in time!” He picked her up to have her sit by the sink and handed her the shaver. She began working on his face immediately.

“So how was your work?” It’s pretty normal for them to catch up in the bathroom.

“All good. I just got back. I didn’t sleep last night. How about you?” He tried not to elaborate on what he did the night before.

“My parents, as you should expect, miss you…”

“But I called them 2 days ago…”

“They miss having you around… Moonie’s not here so I guess you’re the next best thing to having a son”

“We should probably plan a short getaway with them… let’s ask your sister and brother in law too. I’ll sort out a few dates and you can match with their available dates. But that’ll be later. Right now, I just want to eat and then nap for a while…”

“Anything you wish, my king. By the way, I just cooked for you. Go get dressed while I get the food on the table.” His eyes followed her, thinking how lucky he is to have her.

“Have you ever thought about marriage?” He suddenly voiced out what was on his mind, to her surprise.

“Seriously?? No introduction, you just went straight to the point?” She laughed awkwardly, buying time to get the right words to respond to him. He smiled a calm smile. “I was wondering…” he smiled more looking at her trying to take it in. “I mean… we’ve been together for years. Now, we’re very steady, very cool… I feel like we’re married, but we’re not… no pressure, I just want to know what you think of it… I am OK with anything at all, as long as I have you. I just thought if marriage is expected, I can put that as a plan or something. Anything you want.” She smiled, relieved that he’s not expecting her to commit to it. She noticed he looked extra calm so she is ok to talk about it.

“You know what I think about marriage right… with the divorce rate and all. I admit I did give it some thoughts over the years… but I think we’re good so I didn’t think there’s a need to fix what’s already good…”

“I agree… why fix when it’s not broken.” He agreed with her. “I just thought if marriage would be an advantage, an improvement perhaps to turn good into better… I do see that but I am OK with ‘good’. I am also OK to try for ‘better’ if you would want that.” He reached out to caress her face to reassure her that he intended no pressure. She did the same to reassure him she is OK with it.

“Honey… I am happy with you. I know we’re good. I trust you would take good care of me no matter what. But to be honest, I have thought of marrying… I did picture myself growing old with you, having children… I am just not sure when will be the right time to actually get to it. We’re both busy. We have so much to think about…”

“..and we’re getting older…” he added in. “You know… I would want that. A good family. Growing old with you.. with kids to chase around the house…” she saw how his face lit up talking about it and it suddenly made her want it. She got closer and kissed him briefly to stop him.

“You don’t need to convince me. I am OK with anything. Let’s put it in our plan. I don’t think we can do anything about it anytime soon but let’s put it as a plan... we’ll put the date to it later… you’re my boss now… I am OK as long as it keeps the boss happy.” She hugged him. He was happy with her answer. At least he knows he’s doing the right thing quitting the show.

“Lie down with me…” He lay down on the couch and she lay next to him, face fitted to the crook of his neck, inhaling his scent while she breathe. It calmed her. She felt safe.

“What makes you ask of marriage?” she wondered.

“because I love you…” that got him a peck on his jawline. And a tighter hold on his waist. “… and I like where we are now, the peace, the calm, the trust… we don’t fight much… it’s all good and I want it to be good for a long, long time. I think marriage will get rid of the little doubts or the little things that will make we feel insecure. We know that we are both busy, we meet people along the way, we get jealous, we wonder if one day one of us may find something better… those are the things that will eat us inside and we won’t realize it until it’s built up. I don’t want that. I want you to be sure that I am committed to you and leave no room for doubts or questions. I too, would not want to wonder if you’re doubting me when I see or work with other girls.”

“I understand you… and I love that you thought of all that. I trust you to make the decision for us both.” He lifted his body to turn and kiss her forehead in appreciation.

“Can I nap now?” he did look sleepy. She adjusted her position to sit higher up on the cushion and pulled him to sleep on her chest. She rested her chin on his head and held his cheek with her hand.

….

“Why didn’t you tell me??” She was mad. Mad that he didn’t discuss it with her. “How am I going to shoot without you?? Who’s looking out for me? It had to be about you didn’t it??” They were at his office, although the door of his room is shut, she had to keep her voice down. His staff is working outside.

Gary let her say what she had to say. He had to be calm. He expected her to be mad. After she’s done talking she sat down on his bed and her head bent down into her palms. She was still breathing hard, upset. Gary went to sit next to her, caressing her back to calm her. She got calm. “Why?” she wanted to hear his reasons. She had to.

He had his arm around her waist and pulled her to lean against him. She was sobbing. “Cry and calm down… I’ll tell you when you’re done crying.” She hugged him and cried while he held her. After 20 minutes, she heard him out.

“I am sorry I didn’t care enough to hear you out before… I wanted you with me. I didn’t know you were unhappy..” What Gary told her made her feel bad for not considering him.

“I am happy with you… I stayed because I wanted to be with you. But there is this void feeling not being able to do what I meant to do…what I wanted to do with my life. You made me be this man with ambitions. You loved that man, remember?” She nodded her answer.

“Right now, I am still a man that works his off and you can be proud of… what if I lose all this and have nothing else? I’ll just be that same old Gary that you fell out of love with.” She was actually proud of him at that moment.

“You know me better than me…” she had to admit that. “thank you.”

“So are we okay now?” she nodded and smiled. “but it will be hard for me without you there… you’re always there. Can I go too?”

“I was going to ask you that. You sure you want to leave too?” She was so sure of it. “yes. The only reason I stayed on was because of you… and the other 5 men that have been our brothers for so long, of course. But mainly it’s you. Not having you there, I would not be contributing much anyway… I definitely won’t agree to another loveline. Besides, I am an actress but I have not been acting much. When our show ends, I would not have much to my name as an actress. I would want to make something of my life too”

“I’ll sort it out. But you may have to quit later. But I’ll make sure you get what you want.”

“Who the hell does he think he is??” The head producer was enraged. Myuk broke the news to him.

“But he didn’t renew his contract. We can’t stop him…”

“Doesn’t he have any loyalty towards the members? The show??” Myuk smirked. He knew well enough his boss is not one with loyalty. He knew it’s all about profit and power for him. “Jihyo signed the contract. So she can’t go. Use her. Make him stay. Use her “no dating” clause against her if you have to”

“You know we can’t use that clause! It’s only meant internally, we can’t make it public. The fans are not going to like it. Besides, her contract ends in February..”

“Do what you have to do! Make them stay or you’re not having your other shows! Get out!” Myuk was mad with the treatment. He had lost the motivation to work for the past few months, having things forced upon him. The company expected him to work miracles but would not agree to his ideas. He was at a dead-end. It is about time he considers the offer from the other company.

“You know… I’ve been quiet and receiving this from you for so many months now!” His voice definitely got louder that it stunned the boss. “I am tired of this. Consider me gone. I quit. I’ll get the resignation letter done today.” He walked out of the office, feeling the weight lifted off his back. He should have done it long ago but his loyalty kept him there. Now that loyalty carries no value to people in the company he is better off leaving.

Myuk went to see Gary. “As expected he’s not happy. I can’t do much in controlling what he does. But you can actually go... it’s just a matter of going on good terms or bad terms. But please make it good. You need to make sure the rest of us still have our jobs.”

“I know. I have it planned out. I am going to make it look good. I am going to offer him a deal he can’t refuse. I am going to go alone.”

“And Jihyo?” Myuk was confused. “You’re really gonna do it are you?”

“I have no other choice… I have to take her out too. I talked to the other members of the possibilities. I didn’t tell them of my plan but they are aware of us leaving the show.”

….

“So, we’re having the farewell episode. You’re going to leave me.” Jihyo sighed.

“For a few months. I know you can hang on. But I have to tell you this… you have to be strong and accept what comes your way. It will be hard to get you out. You know the boss is not happy. He’s going to make it hard for you since he knows you want to leave.”

“That’s why it will be lonely without you… I know I’m going to have it bad. He will do things and you won’t be there to protect me..” Gary felt guilty but it had to be done. He will make her leave earlier than she expected. He had plans he didn’t want to tell. He could not tell her because he knows she won’t agree to it. “I am going to get a company formed. Get a good manager to take care of you… At least he’ll have the power to stop some things. If you’re a free agent, you won’t have the protection. I just need you to trust me to do what’s best for you.”

So when he left the show, he was busy arranging things for her departure. He got a company registered. He got the best person to lead the company. A person he knows will be loyal to her, a dear friend. He became friends with YB and he was willing to leave his company to work for him. Gary was willing to offer good money and prospect. Besides, YB knows he can do a lot more working with them, they are established internationally and he wanted to help his friend.

“You’re the boss now. We’re a team now. I’ll do as planned. She won’t know. It’s best she doesn’t. As a friend, I know she’s really kind and has a good heart, she won’t like your plan. But I believe, we have to do it that way. Besides, this is my chance to get back at him for the things he did to my artists in the past.”

 

Jihyo knocked on the door and they stopped discussing immediately the moment she opened the door. Gary stood up to go to her. She noticed YB there.

“Oh my God! Did you get YB to manage me??” Jihyo was overjoyed. Gary nodded and laughed at her reaction. YB was happy to see her reaction too. She went to YB to hug him. “You’re the best! Thank you!”

“You’ve got a great boyfriend. He made me an offer I can’t resist. We’re going to make a great team. Currently, I will only manage you. Exclusively.”

“Seriously?? Did he offer you his soul or something??” Both Gary and YB laughed at that. She can’t believe YB was willing to leave all the great talents he had been managing for her. But she was happy he did.

“I have a baby now… I need more time on my hands to manage my family as well. Gary came at the right time. Managing you would give me more time with them. And I sure hope you’d be settling down soon.” He winked at her and she blushed. “I gotta go now. Father duty. I’ll see you tomorrow to discuss work.”

They saw him off and went home.

“I am not going to ask you how you got him. I am just going to thank you for getting him.” She kissed him on the cheek and leaned her head on his shoulder while he drove.

“You know I always go for the best. And he is your friend… and most importantly he is so in love with his wife… So I can trust him not to fall in love with you” She laughed out loud. He is still the jealous boyfriend. “You’re the only one that would give that a thought when choosing people to work for you!”

“I am old now. I don’t have time to fight off your suitors… the best way is to not have any potential suitors near you.”

“I love you” and that is all she can say to sum it all.

….

“Oppa, they say they are going to cut 2 of us from the show. I believe I am one of them. But why 2?? None of them said they wanted to leave. The past 2 weeks, they’ve been worried. Especially Sukjin oppa… I pity him.”

Gary knew who was going to get cut. He personally went to see the head producer to negotiate her departure. He did it for Jongkook as well. He needed to get out because of his health. He went to discuss it with Gary secretly. Gary told him what to do. Jongkook agreed to keep it secret and go with his plan. So he went to the big boss and worked out their departure from the show. The boss agreed because Gary’s offer was too good for him. He wants the money.

He called his manager on the phone. “Get a press release drafted for me today. Jongkook and Jihyo will leave the show to focus on their individual works… yes, I have worked the deal… they are leaving.. do as told… They have agreed… there’s no need, the paperworks will come later… They wanted out, so let’s give them what they want… they’ve worked hard all these years. Get me the draft first thing tomorrow.”

Gary was smiling happily looking at the man in front of him.

….

Jihyo called Gary the moment she heard the news “Oppa! Did you know about this?? I thought I am going off after my contract end. Why didn’t you tell me? And what’s with Jongkook oppa?? Is he part of the plan?” Jihyo was confused and quite upset that she didn’t get to know it from him but from the news.

Gary was in his office. “Jihyo… I told you I am going to handle it. YB is ready with your statement so don’t worry. Jongkook hyung wanted out... He came to see me. His statement will be released soon too. Don’t worry. Meanwhile, please stay at your parents’ house for a few more days. We’ll have to keep it low, I can’t risk having you seen coming to our house. The reporters are going to look for you.”

“oh.. but everybody was shocked to see Jongkook’s name in the news. He didn’t tell anybody… he didn’t talk about it when we went out for dinner with Myuk.“

“He didn’t want anybody to know… He’s going to be away for a few days too. I believe he’s cutting off communication now. He wouldn’t want to answer anybody. You should do that too. Do not talk to anyone about it. You wouldn’t want people misquoting you.”

“OK… I’ll lay low. I’m switching off the other phone. But can’t I see you? It’s been a few days… It’s going to be a few more days…” she was missing him. Her busy schedule with YB made it impossible to go back home. And he had been busy too.

“I miss you too, honey… I’ll see you soon okay.”

A few hours later, statements were released.

Gary was expecting the call from the big boss.

“What the hell are you doing?! You didn’t do as planned!”

Gary laughed an evil laugh. “Someone’s got to do something… You’ve been screwing up lives for a long time. About time you get a taste of it.”

“So you wanna play this game with me?? You don’t know who you’re playing with… I can take you down anytime soon.”

Gary laughed and hung up to annoy him.

He checked online. Fans are furious, it’s turning into a big mess. A friend was furious and posting it online. He didn’t expect that, but even better for them. It’s going to look bad on that man and the company is going to take it bad. He let them occur naturally, the tension built up, they’ve been trying to get in touch but he left all calls and texts unanswered just to keep them curious and speculating.

Then Jihyo called on his personal line.

“What is this?! Why didn’t you tell me you’re going to release that statement! It’s a big mess now! I am so mad right now! Suddenly I got fired?? This is getting out of control. You better do something about it!” She was furious. Gary expected that too.

“Honey…”

“Don’t you honey me now! Get it fixed!” She hung up before he could explain. He would let her calm down.

Jihyo can’t get hold of Jongkook. She needed to talk to him. She was frustrated. Her parents had been asking too. People have been calling. She didn’t have answers for them. She locked herself in her room and cried her heart out. She didn’t know who to trust anymore. Gary had let her down. The only thing she can think of doing right then was crying out her frustration.

Her mom called Gary. “Gary, what is going on?” she sounded calm. She is always the reasonable one.

“Omma…” he is used to calling her that now. “I have to do it this way. I can’t explain it now but trust me to do what’s best. You know how much I love her.” His voice sounded so sincere, she knew she could trust him.

“I trust you… but she’s been crying in her room. She refused to talk to us. Can you talk to her?”

“She won’t hear me…I’ll have to wait til she calms down. I can’t go there now. People are watching us. I’ll get it settled today. I’ll send YB over to talk to her on what to do. Don’t you worry. I have it planned out. I am going to talk to the other members today. I have a lot to handle today… Can you please help me, omma?” He sounded tired.

“Yes, sure… I’ll take care of her here. Do what you have to do. But come soon. She’s having it bad.”

“I’ll talk to her soon… you take care too, omma”

….

“Gary… They asked for an emergency meeting. HaHa came to seek me out…”

“I guess Jihyo is going too?”

“Yes… what do you suggest I do?” Gary briefed him of what to expect and how to react. He had a plan. “Jihyo is not talking to me now.. she’s really upset. You go to her and gather the rest before the meeting. Tell them of the plan. I am going to send YB in for negotiation.”

He had personally contacted each of them the day before to explain and apologize for the mess. They all agreed to be with him. They find the show lacking without him and know it’ll be a lot worse without Jihyo and Jongkook. They didn’t mind ending it. They just want to end it on good terms.

“I wish you can be on the last episode… We’ve been family for so long.” Jaesuk wanted that. They all miss him.

“Hyung… I would not mind going. It is actually up to them. We’ll see how it goes. But thank you, hyung. I know I’ve caused a lot of trouble…”

“No… it’s ok. I don’t blame you. You fought for your rights and those you love. You stood up against them. And you know the show isn’t doing good. We wanted to turn it around but they are not hearing us out. So I think this is actually a good move. We finally get an end to our misery.”

The meeting was a long one. Gary sent in a lawyer too just to make sure they had everything covered. The head producer was not present. He had received gag order from the top management and was advised to take a few months leave. They had damage control planned out. Some not to their agreement but they had to do it. YB called Gary to update the details of the meeting.

“So you can’t end it earlier? But they agreed to the other terms right? They’re all getting compensation and release?”

“Yes, everybody is happy with the meeting.. it’ll be hard to carry on the next few months but they have to. It is for the better.”

“How is she?” His business voice turned personal.

“She’s very quiet. She said she can’t do anything since you’ve planned it out. But I don’t think she is happy… you should talk to her.”

“Can you help me? Can you please invite me and her to have dinner at your place tonight?” YB smiled understanding how miserable Gary is.

“You’re having dinner at my house tonight. We’ll discuss further on this if you’re ok with it. If you don’t feel like it, we can just hangout with my family.” Jihyo didn’t object to it. She went readily into his car. She was quiet the whole journey and YB let her be.

When they reached his house, she could smell dinner being served. Her stomach grumbled. She had not eaten much the past 2 days. She lighten up her mood and put a smile on her face to meet YB’s wife. The wife is cheerful with her greetings.

“Where’s the baby?” She thought a baby will definitely make her feel better. YB’s wife pulled her to baby room and let her in. “She’s inside sleeping… go on in. I’ll get the food ready. Come out when you’re ready.”

The moment the door closed, she walked towards the baby cot. Suddenly she was stopped by a hand holding her arm. She turned to look at the man. He brought up his finger to his lips to tell her to be quiet. He whispered “Keep it low, the baby just slept…” he pulled her to a far corner of the room. He stood facing her. She was looking into his eyes in the dimmed light, trying to figure out what she was actually feeling at that moment. He held her cheek and kissed the other cheek.

“I am sorry… I had to do it.” Tears were streaming down her face after hearing it. He gathered her in his arms to rock and comfort her. “I am sorry.” He felt better when Jihyo had her arms tight around his waist while sobbing on his shoulder.

“I want to hate you right now…” she whispered. “but it is so lonely… I need you.”

“I am so sorry for causing all this. But you have to hear me out…” he told her everything she had to know. He told her his reasons.

“But it will be hard for me or any of us. I know they all wanted to quit on their own will but it will be very awkward from now on…”

“I know… but I also know you’re strong. Remember when we first started. You went home and cried for the first few months because you didn’t think you can fit in. But you did. Look how far you’ve come now. You even got me to date you!” He felt her quiet laugh remembering the days.

“It is not just about us… they all wanted out. I didn’t force them. They made me do it for them too. You know we’re all not that happy.. They thought this will be the best. It’s their chance to call it quits.”

“They told me you personally talked to them to apologize…”

“I did… I felt bad. But I was surprised when they were ok with it and supported what I had planned... But I have not talked to you… are you ok with it? I know you were not given the choice. So I’d like to apologize…”

“I am OK. I wanted it. And you did your best. Myuk told me about it. Thank you.” She leaned back to look at him in the eyes. “Sorry for getting mad at you..” Gary smiled. “It’s all good.. but I’ve been wanting to tell you something…” He was going through his pants pocket and her eyes lit up when she figured what he was up to.

“Don’t freak out, don’t shout… the baby is sleeping…” He was smiling when he saw her excited face. He held up the ring. “This is not a question… You’re going to marry me…” She laughed at his unusual proposal while he slid the ring on to her finger. She held both his cheeks and kissed him while still laughing happily. “Yes, sir. I am going to marry you..”

“but….I have not thought of a date… we’ll just get married when the time felt right. It can be big or we can keep it a secret… we’ll think about it later…” She loves his plan although it did not sound like a real plan.

“I don’t care… I just want to go home right now.” Gary’s face suddenly changed. “We can’t?” Jihyo was uncertain of what is ok or what is not ok with all the drama that has been going on the past 2 days. Gary shook his head indicating no.

“But YB said we can spend the night in his guest room…” Jihyo didn’t need to know further. She is just happy with having him near. “He’ll send you to your parents’ tomorrow and I’ll go back to work. I’ll go see you on Sunday. Is that ok?” Jihyo is happily nodding and hugging him.

And this shall not be the ending… it shall be a beginning to greater things ahead.